Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have signed backup OT

danlhart87

I'm not saying that either of these two will be starters for us, but, Veldheer did get off of his couch and played well enough under the tutelage of our oline coach and with Q next to him.....

These guys could blossom into something more than a swing tackle with the right coaching, the right scheme and the right voices in their ears.

Until that happens, I still believe we will draft our starter, but......

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I may be crazy, but how is Davenport and Tevi both better than available OT Dennis Kelly, formally of the Titans? I live in Nashville so I witness all of the Titans games, and Kelly was extremely solid for them, playing both RT and LT at times. He would also be cheap. 

8 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

So I may be crazy, but how is Davenport and Tevi both better than available OT Dennis Kelly, formally of the Titans? I live in Nashville so I witness all of the Titans games, and Kelly was extremely solid for them, playing both RT and LT at times. He would also be cheap. 

Free agency isn't done......the Colts have signed like 7 OT's this off-season between free agency and the futures signings. How do we know they are not looking at him as an option?

Hmmm.... i guess Ballard should have consulted some of these rocket scientists on the forum since they seem to know everything about everything.  

Funny how they are so sure player A stinks, but is much better than player B.  I just dont understand why these GMs dont see it. 

Note:  post may or may not be dripping with sarcasm.

20 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Davenport and Tevi really aren't any better than Clark. There will be a rookie starting at left tackle for us this year. Darrisaw, Cosmi, Radunz, Eichenberg- anyone of them would outplay Davenport or Tevi.

PFF 202 grades

Davenport- 71.3

Tevi-52.9

Clark- 49.1

Tevi barely better than Clark but didnt have Q playing next to him to elevate grade, Davenport much better than either.   

46 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Davenport and Tevi really aren't any better than Clark. There will be a rookie starting at left tackle for us this year. Darrisaw, Cosmi, Radunz, Eichenberg- anyone of them would outplay Davenport or Tevi.

Of course those top rookie OT’s would outplay the veterans we have signed.   The Vets are being signed for depth.   The rookies are being drafted hopefully to start.  Big difference.

Also, I’m a supporter and defender of PFF.  But you’re reading way too much into their scores.   They are a tool.  But not the only tool.   Teams have their own grading systems. 

Also, with guys like Davenport and Tevi, you’re less interested in what they’ve done in the past and much more interested what they can do in the future, in a Colts system with Colts coaching. The Colts see traits in both players that make them think they can play better for the Colts than they did with other teams.   Think of Mark Glowinski, who played poorly enough to be cut by Seattle.   But he’s played his best ball for the Colts. 

This is not as black and white as you’re making it out to be. 

21 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news/l-a-chargers-pending-unrestricted-free-agents

From 

S.I. CHARGER REPORT

LT Sam Tevi – 27 years old, 2020 salary $640K

Tevi was a very bad right tackle for two seasons for the Bolts. He was moved to left tackle last season and in what was a bad year for the offensive line, Tevi was probably the best player on the offensive line. That being said the Chargers need to find a left tackle of the future and they might feel like Tevi is not it. He will have a market if not re-signed.

Likelihood to return- Slim

he works cheap, ballards style

Archived