Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nelson can make 13 mil next year

CR91

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

The title of this thread should be changed to "Nelson WILL Make 13 Million Next Year". There is no doubt that the Colts will be picking up that 5th year option.

Well it's not official, but yea it's a no-brainer.

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Unless they extend him

I can't imagine they wouldn't extend him, even with picking the 5th up. They don't want to play games with Nelson. Get him locked down and be happy he's ours. 

I think the timing of when Leonard gets extended will be an idea of how they'll handle Nelson. 

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I can't imagine they wouldn't extend him, even with picking the 5th up. They don't want to play games with Nelson. Get him locked down and be happy he's ours. 

I think the timing of when Leonard gets extended will be an idea of how they'll handle Nelson. 

They don't have the 5th year option for leonard.    I'm hoping they extend him before the season starts.     

3 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

The title of this thread should be changed to "Nelson WILL Make 13 Million Next Year". There is no doubt that the Colts will be picking up that 5th year option.

At least $13m. Probably a lot more than that.

6 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I would gladly return to a mediocre OL

Maggie Smith Sarcasm GIF by Downton Abbey

Stick in the mud... Sarcasm is realistically a sign of intelligence due to an abstract way of thinking. The most intelligent people I know personally are the most sarcastic. Witty as can be. Lady in the meme even looks like prude. 

11 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Stick in the mud... Sarcasm is realistically a sign of intelligence due to an abstract way of thinking. The most intelligent people I know personally are the most sarcastic. Witty as can be. Lady in the meme even looks like prude. 

That's Maggie Smith she's a fantastic actress 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nelson is the best OG in football (face of our team) so whatever that price is, pay him. End of story. I am 99% sure Ballard will get that done.

Best guard at pass blocking no doubt, not the best run blocking. Best overall is debatable if you throw comps out like Martin and Teller. I think Q would be graded higher at run blocking if we were more power/man/gap. I personally think Q is the best, but I'm biased. 

He'll get top 3 pay certainly. Scherff's contract kinda took the top off G pay, and IMO went to extreme. 

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Best guard at pass blocking no doubt, not the best run blocking. Best overall is debatable if you throw comps out like Martin and Teller. I think Q would be graded higher at run blocking if we were more power/man/gap. I personally think Q is the best, but I'm biased. 

He'll get top 3 pay certainly. Scherff's contract kinda took the top off G pay, and IMO went to extreme. 

Yeah if I had to choose just 1 OG overall, it would be Nelson. Just like if I had to choose 1 OLT overall, it would be Ronnie Stanley.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah if I had to choose just 1 OG overall, it would be Nelson. Just like if I had to choose 1 OLT overall, it would be Ronnie Stanley.

I'd take Ronnie too, but only because I'm an ND homer. If I went purely for ability and it was for only one year, it would be David Bakhtiari. Ronnie is 5 or 6 years younger, and would probably grade better than his current if he were next to Q.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'd take Ronnie too, but only because I'm an ND homer. If I went purely for ability and it was for only one year, it would be David Bakhtiari. Ronnie is 5 or 6 years younger, and would probably grade better than his current if he were next to Q.

Bakhtiari would be my 2nd choice at LT, Pack really missed him in the playoffs! I like Stanley a tad better, probably because of age. His 2019 season with the Ravens was off the charts.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bakhtiari would be my 2nd choice at LT, Pack really missed him in the playoffs! I like Stanley a tad better, probably because of age. His 2019 season with the Ravens was off the charts.

Can't loose with either. Long term, I'd take Stanley like you. 

And I agree, Ronnie's 2019 was much better than his 2020. It's why I said he'd do much better with Q on his hip. 

Bakhtiari played out of his mind last year. He's had some down years compared to his 2020 grades, but his down is better than most OTs best years. 

We have so many options to solve for LT. It's going to be interesting to see what we do. It's a great year for OT draft depth, so even more options. Part of me would love to see Q take a run at it though. Part of me thinks we could take 2nd round guy and also find a legit guy. IMO, Radunz might end up the best OT in the draft if you fast forward 3 years. He'll need to fill out a bit though.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Can't loose with either. Long term, I'd take Stanley like you. 

And I agree, Ronnie's 2019 was much better than his 2020. It's why I said he'd do much better with Q on his hip. 

Bakhtiari played out of his mind last year. He's had some down years compared to his 2020 grades, but his down is better than most OTs best years. 

We have so many options to solve for LT. It's going to be interesting to see what we do. It's a great year for OT draft depth, so even more options. Part of me would love to see Q take a run at it though. Part of me thinks we could take 2nd round guy and also find a legit guy. IMO, Radunz might end up the best OT in the draft if you fast forward 3 years. He'll need to fill out a bit though.

I really have no idea what Ballard will do but my guess is still we draft one at #21.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really have no idea what Ballard will do but my guess is still we draft one at #21.

I hope we don't. IMO, with Q on the left, we don't need to go elite/no-brainer high pick OT. It's a great T class, and we can get a very solid prospect in the 2nd. And a solid OT will look almost elite, if not elite with Q next to him.

We need a young 1st round DE (or even CB) more than a first round LT. The DE and CB class is not near as deep as OT IMO. And we've got a plethora of draft capital already tied up in the OL. Our DEs have been FAs and stretch picks in the draft. Need to get a legit prospect IMO. I'm still frustrated over the Banogu pick lol. Way too cute. There were so many other better prospects (multiple positions) left on the board when we drafted him.

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I hope we don't. IMO, with Q on the left, we don't need to go elite/no-brainer high pick OT. It's a great T class, and we can get a very solid prospect in the 2nd. And a solid OT will look almost elite, if not elite with Q next to him.

We need a young 1st round DE (or even CB) more than a first round LT. The DE and CB class is not near as deep as OT IMO. And we've got a plethora of draft capital already tied up in the OL. Our DEs have been FAs and stretch picks in the draft. Need to get a legit prospect IMO. I'm still frustrated over the Banogu pick lol. Way too cute. There were so many other better prospects (multiple positions) left on the board when we drafted him.

You can never predict what Ballard will do? I guess that is what makes him very good if not great :thmup:

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You can never predict what Ballard will do? I guess that is what makes him very good if not great :thmup:

It's hard to predict what most GMs do except for early no-brainer picks. Ballard has been a bit hard to predict position wise simply because we had so many holes to fill. I do think we'll be more predictable this year and in years to come as the roster becomes more solid. Like I said, the next few years will be harder for Ballard. It's so much easier to improve a bad roster. It's much harder to improve a solid roster. 

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I wouldn't be disappointed with a LT, DE or CB at #21.  I guess the best available would apply here.  

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I'm not sure that's true, I think he's very predictable.  He pretty much tells you exactly what he's going to do, just not how he's going to do it.  He's told us with absolute clarity he believes 100% in building the lines on both sides of the ball.  He believes in building a specific culture and taking care of our own.  Q will get resigned to a max type deal for the long term.  He's a generational player, same will be true for Leonard.  There is a question about does he play G or T, do we draft Oline in the draft, or do we pursue pash rush, what do we do in FA, this we do not know.  resigning the likes of Q and Leonard, that will be handled and I think a hold out scenario is incredibly unlikely. My thoughts.

7 hours ago, Myles said:

I wouldn't be disappointed with a LT, DE or CB at #21.  I guess the best available would apply here.  

Given the draft classes at those 3, T is easily the best, so to get the best value of our first two picks, I hope they go T in the 2nd.

We'll see, but that's my bet. 

9 hours ago, Rally5 said:

He's told us with absolute clarity he believes 100% in building the lines on both sides of the ball.

And that is what he will do. My guess is a tackle early draft with plenty of value o-line pickups this offseason. He’s going to spend money at defensive end, without any doubts. But will be very diligent in his team’s work on placing values on players and willing to walk away. 

I’m a big advocate on Ballard and his approach to roster building. Very methodical. We are about to find out what he is about. This is his time to shine and he knows it. He’s going to lock down his first big draft class, and he’s going to keep “stacking draft classes” which is where he has preached teams build monsters. He is diligently addressing the quarterback room. In my opinion, he’s improved that room every chance he has had without overreacting/overspending. He potentially found a franchise qb on a deal. 

big offseason. 

On 3/10/2021 at 11:44 PM, EastStreet said:

Yeah and if u r a top 6 pick at guard, u better be the best at your postion and it should not be debatable. That is my issue with investing a huge amount of money at the guard postion. I beleive Teller is a 2nd rounder. U can find good guards later in the draft. For me to give Neslon LT tackle money, he needs to viewed as the best at his position by a wide margin. Similar to Aaron Donald. He is seen as the best DT and no one is close. I know fans on this forum fawn over Nelson. However, lets say the Colts were to trade Nelson today. I wonder what the market would b for a guard who is going to demand 20 million a year? I feel it would be very small and that how is how I gauge his value. Thats just me.

22 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yeah and if u r a top 6 pick at guard, u better be the best at your postion and it should not be debatable. That is my issue with investing a huge amount of money at the guard postion. I beleive Teller is a 2nd rounder. U can find good guards later in the draft. For me to give Neslon LT tackle money, he needs to viewed as the best at his position by a wide margin. Similar to Aaron Donald. He is seen as the best DT and no one is close. I know fans on this forum fawn over Nelson. However, lets say the Colts were to trade Nelson today. I wonder what the market would b for a guard who is going to demand 20 million a year? I feel it would be very small and that how is how I gauge his value. Thats just me.

I was very happy taking him at 6.   I also think he may be the best guard in the league.  He also did well at LT for the snaps he played there.  

Archived