Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good read about Ya-Sin

AKB

I think the reason that he seems so much worse than he is is because it's so much more clear when things go both right and wrong in man coverage than in zone.

Good zone corners are always under-rated when compared to good man corners because it's more difficult to highlight specifically how a good zone corner is successful.

With man coverage, you just watch as the two players run down the field and one is draped all over the other. With zone, there's a lot more ambiguity and nuance to the role that a corner is responsible for on a down to down basis.

I would never have said that Ya-Sin has been good in zone, and I would have said that he's been pretty bad overall for the Colts so far. The reality is probably that he's been fine and I just need to learn more about what I'm looking at.

15 minutes ago, The Fish said:

When he get's beat, it's not subtle, that's where the perception that he's not good comes from. 

This is the key.

The lack of competent over the top safety help in the last half/third of the season made him look bad too.  And there were a couple of prominent plays.

He was definitely not good enough to play man without safety help, but very few CBs are.

I think his reputation hurts him too.  He's known to be grabby and the refs seem to pay special attention to him.  Some of the PI calls made on him are not made on other DBs.  Yes, they were good calls, but they're also sometimes ignored.

I know the same thing can be said with just about any call (sometimes they call it, sometimes they 'let them play').  IMO, he hardly ever gets the benefit of the doubt.

The article does point out the good but it also pretty clearly lays out why people are worried about him. 

Like the “in conclusion” part states. He’s not terrible, even excels in zone/tackling, but he’s got a lot of work to do. And I don’t think it’s necessarily all mental since he’s already working with a speed disadvantage. It’s great that he has a high work ethic because he’s gonna need it.

Very few CBs in league history have started out playing like an all pro their first couple of years. 

He is still learning the hardest position on the defense to play. 

For those who call him a bad player are showing they have limited knowledge of what it takes to become a CB in the NFL. 

16 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

The article does point out the good but it also pretty clearly lays out why people are worried about him. 

Like the “in conclusion” part states. He’s not terrible, even excels in zone/tackling, but he’s got a lot of work to do. And I don’t think it’s necessarily all mental since he’s already working with a speed disadvantage. It’s great that he has a high work ethic because he’s gonna need it.

I think that is fair.   I also think people (many on here) who have been calling for him to be released or benched are not saying that with enough knowledge to back it up.  

I like RYS.  I liked him coming out of Temple.  He's the proper type of CB for a Tampa-2 system:  you need to be able to make the tackle on your own.  He can do that.

The problem is, as long as he is a liability in man coverage, offenses will always design for his guy to run the long crossing route, where he gets grabby at the transition, and doesn't have the speed or ball awareness to follow.  As the article says, no matter how good he is in zone, if he cannot improve his man ability, he's a liability.

I sure hope he gets it all figured out!

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think that is fair.   I also think people (many on here) who have been calling for him to be released or benched are not saying that with enough knowledge to back it up.  

I get it. I try not to take those kind of posts seriously though.

People that call players trash or constantly call for them to be cut...they’re not looking for intelligent discussion. Easier just to ignore them.

Just imagine if RYS and Tell progress in  a big way this season....: what a difference it would make to the Colts’ future prognosis. For this to happen, IMO, a better pass rush is mandatory. 
Meaning: invest in a free agent DE. Let’s pay for ONE guy. Get It right and the Colts will soar. 

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Just imagine if RYS and Tell progress in  a big way this season....: what a difference it would make to the Colts’ future prognosis. For this to happen, IMO, a better pass rush is mandatory. 
Meaning: invest in a free agent DE. Let’s pay for ONE guy. Get It right and the Colts will soar. 

I'm also high on 34.

Hoping Rowe does as the article suggests, and I hope he tries to focus him on step-kick, or perhaps refocus. I could be wrong, but I thought RYS's good college highlights, and good late season highlights from 2019, were more step kick when in man. Pretty sure he had a good punch at the LOS. His current lowlights look more like mirror/shuffle tech. Not sure if they are pushing that to stop the grabbing. 

IDK. It's a bit of a mystery to me. I do think some of the article oversimplifies things. I also think they should have looked a bit deeper in terms who he was getting burnt by.

On 3/5/2021 at 9:23 PM, AustinnKaine said:

Why do you think that? Don't we run an overwhelming majority of zone? 

Think about it if you are Eberflus.

Use can't use YaSin only in zone and then tip off the offense by putting somebody else in (Carrie?) when you play man.  

On 3/6/2021 at 3:17 AM, Hoose said:

Tell coming back could be massive. He looked decent his rookie year and has hopefully just been working out all year long with a focus on coming back this year to take his claim.

I think Rhodes will have a number of suitors so  it would be great if we can get away without resigning him. If we can get him back on a reasonable deal, run the same group back, AND Tell announces himself, that would be incredible.

I think they re-sign Rhodes; draft another CB early Day 3; and Tell takes Rock’s starting gig. I’d love to see Rock take the leap to reliable starter, but I’m a tad skeptical. He DID struggle last year.... let’s not sugar coat it. 

12 hours ago, Hoose said:

I think they re-sign Rhodes; draft another CB early Day 3; and Tell takes Rock’s starting gig. I’d love to see Rock take the leap to reliable starter, but I’m a tad skeptical. He DID struggle last year.... let’s not sugar coat it. 

I think Sin puts it together this year. 

39 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I think Sin puts it together this year. 

I agree. I feel like when he was playing bad, you could see his lack of confidence.  With Kenny Moore's old DB coach coming in,  I bet RYS  gets that technique down this year,  resulting in more confidence and more consistent play. 

Archived