Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1 out of 19...Yikes

SC-Coltsfan

I saw a tweet last week that was comparing GBs playoff futility to NDs because they have lost their last 4 NFC championship games. I knew we had a pretty bad record also, but I didn't know it was this bad. Since moving to Indy we've been in the playoffs 19 times and have 1 SB win to show for it. I'm not posting this to be critical because it's better to get in the playoffs and lose than not get there at all. My point is how surprised i was at the numbers. I'm a huge Atlanta Braves fan also. I'm afraid to look up their history because it's probably worse.

List of Indianapolis Colts seasons - Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indianapolis_Colts_seasons

38 minutes ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

I saw a tweet last week that was comparing GBs playoff futility to NDs because they have lost their last 4 NFC championship games. I knew we had a pretty bad record also, but I didn't know it was this bad. Since moving to Indy we've been in the playoffs 19 times and have 1 SB win to show for it. I'm not posting this to be critical because it's better to get in the playoffs and lose than not get there at all. My point is how surprised i was at the numbers. I'm a huge Atlanta Braves fan also. I'm afraid to look up their history because it's probably worse.

There are 32 teams in the NFL -- and every single one of them is competing for the same thing.  But only one team each season will actually accomplish that.

Since the Colts came to Indy in 1984, there have been 37 seasons, and 36 Super Bowl champions.  There have been 1129 team seasons (there were 28 teams in the NFL in '84, which moved to 30 in 1995, 31 in 1999, and 32 in 2002).  That gives you a better idea how difficult it is to win a Super Bowl.  Of all 1129 team-seasons played in that time, just 3.2% of them resulted in a Super Bowl championship.

And those aren't divided equally.

17 different teams have won SBs since our first season in Indy -- just over half the franchises.  Only 9 have won more than 1.

6 - Pats

4 - Giants, 49ers

3 - Cowboys, Broncos

2 - Redskins, Packers, Ravens, Steelers

Another 8 have won 1 each:

Bears

Rams

Buccaneers

Colts

Saints

Seahawks

Eagles

Chiefs

And 15 franchises, just under half, haven't won any -- in the past 37 seasons.

Yeah, there are franchises that have done better than the Colts in 37 seasons, clearly.  But there are far more that have done worse -- and this analysis only looks at SB victories as "success."  Of course, that's far from reality.

You have to be in the SB to cash in on it. Only 2 appearances in the SB, 5 appearances in the AFCCG with a chance to get to the SB (lost in 1995 playoffs to Steelers, lost in 2003 playoffs to Patriots, won 2006 season AFCCG vs Patriots, won 2009 season AFCCG vs Jets, lost 2014 season AFCCG to Patriots), I think I got it all, 2-3 in AFCCG.

In the salary cap era, since 1995, outside the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens and Giants, no one else has won 2 SBs. So, we are in the same boat as 28 other teams, IMO, as a franchise.

Patriots 6-3

Steelers 2-1

Giants 2-0

Ravens 2-0

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

You have to be in the SB to cash in on it. Only 2 appearances in the SB, 5 appearances in the AFCCG with a chance to get to the SB (lost in 1995 playoffs to Steelers, lost in 2003 playoffs to Patriots, won 2006 season AFCCG vs Patriots, won 2009 season AFCCG vs Jets, lost 2014 season AFCCG to Patriots), I think I got it all, 2-3 in AFCCG.

In the salary cap era, since 1995, outside the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens and Giants, no one else has won 2 SBs. So, we are in the same boat as 28 other teams, IMO, as a franchise.

Patriots 6-3

Steelers 2-1

Giants 2-0

Ravens 2-0

I don't agree with that.   We are over any teams who didn't win 1.   

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Yes, that is correct. It is just too many teams I would have to research and list here, didn't have the time. :) 

I don't want to do the research so I'll trust Luv Pony's number that 15 teams have not won the Superbowl since 1984.   That at least puts us at 17 and probably higher in more recent history.  I would have the 2nd Superbowl appearance putting us higher on the list.  I'm guessing we end up somewhere around 7-9 in the past 25 years.   

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

You know what matters.....being relevant. Colts have been relevant for most of the last 2 decades. I mean, feel free to hang your happiness on SB wins. You'll have joy on the average of once every 32 years.  

Imagine being a Lions, Jets, or (until this year) a Browns fan.  Year after year, your team picking in the top 5, in constant rebuilding mode, never being relevant to the national conversation outside of draft day.  Every year, hoping that this was the one, only to hit reality before September was over.

Geez, I think that's the most depressing thing I've ever written on these boards!

7 hours ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

...... and our most  previous SB win & appearance prior to 2006 was in.....1971 as the Baltimore Colts.

So since 1972 2 SB appearances and 1 SB Win in nearly Half a century !!!

Thank God for Polian, Peyton, and Dungy which made us relevant for a decade.

There is a real wave of "Colts should have won more super bowls" feeling out there, both within the fanbase and with other NFL fans. And maybe they should have, but as noted previously, there were a lot of other teams who didn't even get close. My brothers are Browns fans who haven't been close to getting to the super bowl for 31 years, so I cherish what the team has won. 

3 minutes ago, ColtV said:

There is a real wave of "Colts should have won more super bowls" feeling out there, both within the fanbase and with other NFL fans. And maybe they should have, but as noted previously, there were a lot of other teams who didn't even get close. My brothers are Browns fans who haven't been close to getting to the super bowl for 31 years, so I cherish what the team has won. 

Sorry, I had to laugh. A couple of my buddies are Browns fans too.  Until this year they would have loved to had the Colts successes.   

I’m not looking it up, but I bet 2 SB appearances in those 19 tries is better than most of the league.  

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yes, that is correct. It is just too many teams I would have to research and list here, didn't have the time. :) 

I would say since the 2006 Season to now which is a 15 season window, we are better than the other 1 time winners because of our Regular Season record with Peyton and Luck + Rivers went 11-5. The Giants did win the 2 SB's since then but they aren't even close to our overall Wins/Loss record over the last 15 seasons.

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would say since the 2006 Season to now which is a 15 season window, we are better than the other 1 time winners because of our Regular Season record with Peyton and Luck + Rivers went 11-5. The Giants did win the 2 SB's since then but they aren't even close to our overall Wins/Loss record over the last 15 seasons.

Irsay doesn’t think so, he says it about rings and multiple Lombardi’s. 
It’s a tough thing. In a sense, he’s right. The great teams are defined by Championships. Still, it’s good to be consistent over the years and win division championships like the Manning Colts did. No fan certainly wants to go through what Cleveland has. 
I’ve  been thinking this same thing about the Lamar led Ravens. Will they be a great regular season team, win some divisions, but come up short in Super Bowl appearances ? 
The book isn’t written, but would you take just one Super Bowl win  in 10-15 years, when your team was consistently good ? I guess as fans, we are all hungry for more. 

17 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

The book isn’t written, but would you take just one Super Bowl win  in 10-15 years, when your team was consistently good ? I guess as fans, we are all hungry for more. 

I would take that.   I loved the Manning years.   Being relevant every season and getting to enjoy some post season action was awesome.   Sure, most ended with a playoff loss, but at least we got to watch till the last quarter.   I would take the Colts 2 Superbowl appearances and 1 Championship Over the Giants 2 Championships any day.  Giants fans will say different, but they must forget all the bad seasons:

4-12

6-10

8-8

8-8

7-9

6-10

6-10

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I would take that.   I loved the Manning years.   Being relevant every season and getting to enjoy some post season action was awesome.   Sure, most ended with a playoff loss, but at least we got to watch till the last quarter.   I would take the Colts 2 Superbowl appearances and 1 Championship Over the Giants 2 Championships any day.  Giants fans will say different, but they must forget all the bad seasons:

4-12

6-10

8-8

8-8

7-9

6-10

6-10

I get it. I guess we would all like our cake and eat it too like the Patriots. 
I think the hardest thing is the lost Championships our teams should have had. I think back to the 1964 NFL Championship game when the Colts were favored over the Browns. The worst , of course, is Super Bowl 3. I believe that 15-1 Colts team would have won 99 out of 100 times, but they hit the one on that day. It scarred Mike Curtis, Bubba Smith, got Don Shula fired, and upset me to this day. The Super Bowl 5 win was no vindication for that loss. 

7 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I get it. I guess we would all like our cake and eat it too like the Patriots. 
I think the hardest thing is the lost Championships our teams should have had. I think back to the 1964 NFL Championship game when the Colts were favored over the Browns. The worst , of course, is Super Bowl 3. I believe that 15-1 Colts team would have won 99 out of 100 times, but they hit the one on that day. It scarred Mike Curtis, Bubba Smith, got Don Shula fired, and upset me to this day. The Super Bowl 5 win was no vindication for that loss. 

you are an old crow.  Ha ha.

I was born in 1970 and became a Colts fan when I moved to Indiana in 1988.   Really became a huge fan during the Manning era.  

Colts have been solid overall, the real disappointments were in 2005 and 2009.

We had the best team in the league in 2005, then watched everything go wrong in the game against the Steelers.  We also had the better roster than the Saints in 09, but got outcoached. 

1 hour ago, The Old Crow said:

I guess we would all like our cake and eat it too

Since I was a preschooler,  I've Loved Chocolate Cake. :D

Brother

On 2/1/2021 at 9:54 AM, SC-Coltsfan said:

Brother I’m a huuuge Braves fan as well so I feel your pain trust me.  Sometimes  I wonder what The heck I was thinking choosing the Braves; pacers and colts for my Fav teams. It’s like I’m a glutton for heartbreak I guess lol.  I’ve been a fan of each since the mid 90/s when I was a little kid. At least last year our Braves got closer than usual to winning a championship. I still say we blew that series with the dodgers but what can you do?  I think the Braves have a good chance especially if we don’t go too cheap but our current owners are corporate d bags so who knows?

At least the colts and Braves are competitive most of the time lately. I can think of a few franchises it would be worse following but few will let you down like the Braves and colts have lately lol. Sometimes I dunno what’s worse. 

23 hours ago, aaron11 said:

Colts have been solid overall, the real disappointments were in 2005 and 2009.

We had the best team in the league in 2005, then watched everything go wrong in the game against the Steelers.  We also had the better roster than the Saints in 09, but got outcoached. 

Of course I would of loved to win the 2009 SB, but we got beat by a great team that made a couple more outstanding plays on some gutsy calls. I still think the Colts played a good game that day.  I can accept that over the other years where I felt the team didn’t perform as they should have and beat themselves. 

Funny story: A couple years later a friend was bragging about how he went to a party at Colts players house.  He was really talking the guy up making himself look cool.  Then he told us it was Hank Baskett.  We booed our friend so hard bc he had no clue that was the guy who let the onside kick bounce off his chest.  

29 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Then he told us it was Hank Baskett.  We booed our friend so hard bc he had no clue that was the guy who let the onside kick bounce off his chest.  

Man i had an eerie felling right before that kickoff, even said ONSIDE KICK outload at the bar.  a few people heard it lol.  It wasnt an awful game overall, just felt we had the team to win 

Archived