Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles Looking To Trade Asante Samuel

Ihh61691

Eagles are reportedly are trying to trade Asante Samuel before the 2012 draft. With Grigson's connection with the Eagles this could be a possible option for the Colts.

HOWEVER, Samuel is 31 and set to make $8.4 million salary next season with a salary cap hit of $9.5 million with the contract he signed in 2008.

Improvement would be welcomed to our CB group with his experience and would definitely would help out our needs for our defense. BUT, his salary cap hit of $9.5 million would be way too costly.

Depending on what the Eagles are eyeing to obtain for Samuel and if the trade can be made with a cheaper salary cap friendly contract, I'm seeing this as a near improbable trade. Your thoughts?

Eagles are reportedly are trying to trade Asante Samuel before the 2012 draft. With Grigson's connection with the Eagles this could be a possible option for the Colts.

HOWEVER, Samuel is 31 and set to make $8.4 million salary next season with a salary cap hit of $9.5 million with the contract he signed in 2008.

Improvement would be welcomed to our CB group with his experience and would definitely would help out our needs for our defense. BUT, his salary cap hit of $9.5 million would be way too costly.

Depending on what the Eagles are eyeing to obtain for Samuel and if the trade can be made with a cheaper salary cap friendly contract, I'm seeing this as a near improbable trade. Your thoughts?

I like the idea if Samuel would agree to renegotiate his contract in order to reduce his cap hit. I wonder if the Eagles would be interested in a 32 year old defensive end?

I would rather have Ladarius Webb (Spell check) of the Ravens. Samuel is not the cover guy he used to be Webb is restricted, however.

Boy I would still hate to see Freeney go.....we cannot release him! I will be upset....gotta get something in return.

I think Grigson has filled enough other "holes" that he can spend a draft pick or two on a good cornerback. I don't see Samuel as being the right choice for an organization that is rebuilding (from youth). As great as Samuel has been in the past, he's getting too old and demands too high of a contract number to justify up picking him up.

These proposed players are getting to be funny. We are now a young and rebuilding team. Are we going to struggle as opposed to past 12 years? heck yes. However we need to get our minds set to let go of the past and rebuild to a future . Can't rebuild with a new younger team and also fill in spots with older players not in their prime and with a shorter possible future.. Why do they want to get rid of him ? Maybe same as we let go alot of our former great but aging players. Time to move forward, take our lumps, and build to a new greatness

I think Grigson has filled enough other "holes" that he can spend a draft pick or two on a good cornerback. I don't see Samuel as being the right choice for an organization that is rebuilding (from youth). As great as Samuel has been in the past, he's getting too old and demands too high of a contract number to justify up picking him up.

I would have to agree with you, however, rebuilding from youth wouldn't necessarily mean not having/completely cutting out experience. i.e. Wayne, Redding. With that said, this trade doesn't fit our budget. A solid CB pick in the draft is definitely needed.

A trade of Freeney for Samuel would save the Colts 5 million dollars, however this is still a very unlikely scenario since the Eagles are probably looking to trade him to cut salary.

Eagles already have Babin and I believed locked Cole to a longer deal this off-season. So their need at DE as expensive as Freeney is not there.

Since we lost Jacob Lacey, we should see if we can get Joselio Hanson, an excellent nickel DB in the slot from the Eagles for a late round pick (7th???). That way, we do not have to fork out much and get an addition that will definitely provide value, just like the Justin Tryon trade.

You have to have some proven players to help transition. Like others have said you can't just start a whole team of undrafted FAs and draft picks. Redding I think is one of those key players that can help others make the transition because he knows the defense. An older CB that is making 9 million a year...that is a big pass for me. We can get more value young and in the draft and mold them into what we need. I don't see that helping us rebuild.

Edit: However..if Grigson can get a discount and get the Eagles to pay a large portion of his salary...that could happen....but not likely.

I

Eagles already have Babin and I believed locked Cole to a longer deal this off-season. So their need at DE as expensive as Freeney is not there.

I agree. My point was that trading Freeney for Samuel would actually save the Colts money and not add to the cap.

I also believe that at this time our need at NT should be over CB. How to best address that is up in the air however.

I think an attacking front 7 will help all of the DBs. DBs not 10 yards off of the ball will help as well. Attack until the cows come home.....defense needs to go on the 'offensive' and will.

Speaking of NT, what do you guys think of Sammie Lee Hill? http://www.nfl.com/p...l/79571/profile Haven't seen much of him, but his stats seem good and he's still very young.

I like the fact he is young and can only improve. You cannot teach 329 lbs. I think some of the guys from small colleges....just play harder. See Robert Mathis!!!! Someone may need to check his cap hit.

Id love to get Asante hes my favorite defensive player (non colt) but his price might be to high i wouldnt give more than a 4th rounder for him cause we need picks 1,2,3 badly nd the ealges would nvr ship him out for a 4th....i guess trading freeny for asante would be nice but the eagles wouldnt go for it they have trent cole on the right side nd jason babin on the left they dont have a need for freeeny

Id love to get Asante hes my favorite defensive player (non colt) but his price might be to high i wouldnt give more than a 4th rounder for him cause we need picks 1,2,3 badly nd the ealges would nvr ship him out for a 4th....i guess trading freeny for asante would be nice but the eagles wouldnt go for it they have trent cole on the right side nd jason babin on the left they dont have a need for freeeny

I feel for you! Favorite players get older and go away (insert Manning and Clark) Bummer. Samuel will find a home....somewhere.

Samuel is a great player, but he has a 10.5M dollar cap hit in 2012, and he's getting up there in age. He's 31 and never played in a 3-4 system and although it doesnt affect the CBs that much, it has a different feel. I think it's best to avoid him.

Considering the following facts:

1) franchise tag value for CBs is $10.6 million for this upcoming season.

2) Samuel's contract will include base salaries for 2012 and 2013 of $9.5 million and $11.5 million respectively (inclusive of workout bonus)

3) Unless the Colts can fix the Freeney cap situation or trade/cut Freeney, the Colts cannot afford to pick up Samuel's current contract.

Is Samuel considered among the top 5 CBs in the league such that his contractual salary reflects it?

I don't think Samuel would be likely to redo his contract.

I love the fact that he's an INT waiting to happen, but he suffers from DSS (Dieon Sanders Syndrom) and doesn't tackle well any more. He plays for the money and has an errogant attitude. Really it all depends on Philly's asking price and if he would be willing to restructure.

They can keep looking...

I suspect that at his current salary, Samuel is almost not tradable ... and I cannot see the Eagles keeping him.

I will not be surprised to see no takers and then he gets cut and becomes a free agent that can be had at a significant discount to his current price cost.

Asante should go to:

Oakland Raiders

San Diego Chargers

Kansas City Chiefs

If any coach has noticed over the years. Samuel can read Peyton and has seemed to have the jump on him more than any other corner in the league.

Yes, he makes a big interception or pick six it seems almost every time they played. I would welcome here in a heart beat but at the same time we have other needs first such as a NT. However if they could bring in Samuel that would solidify our CBs with Powers and him starting, he could probably also help Rucker/Thomas become solid backups, even possible starters down the road. Then the Colts could draft a NT in the draft. I personally don't see it happening that would be a big time FA acquisition + I'm not sure if the Colts have the $ for it this year, perhaps a back loaded contract.