Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Next Man Up

Scott Pennock

It's obvious that Ballard continues to be a pretty suave GM with his building through the draft, UDFA's and waiver wire pickups.....

Taylor came right in and filled Mack's shoes - and then some.

Blackmon came right in and filled Hooker's shoes - and then some.

----- Along those lines, Rodgers came in and covered Thielen in favor of Rhodes and did a fairly decent job as a rookie in his second game.

Alie-Cox came right in and filled Doyle's shoes - and then some.

So will be the next man up for Campbell? Dulin? Fountain?

-----To me it seems like Dulin would be the most comparable with his size/speed combo, similar to Campbell's. He also runs much like a Running back in the open field like Campbell.

Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

It's obvious that Ballard continues to be a pretty suave GM with his building through the draft, UDFA's and waiver wire pickups.....

----- Along those lines, Rodgers came in and covered Thielen in favor of Rhodes and did a fairly decent job as a rookie in his second game.

-----To me it seems like Dulin would be the most comparable with his size/speed combo, similar to Campbell's. He also runs much like a Running back in the open field like Campbell.

Thoughts?

I think the forgotten WR is Pascal. I thought he and Rivers showed some chemistry.  I haven't seen enough of Dulin.

6 hours ago, Smash Mouth said:

I think the forgotten WR is Pascal. I thought he and Rivers showed some chemistry.  I haven't seen enough of Dulin.

Pascal is an X or big slot. Campbell is in the mode of traditional slot and Z. I've said since before the season started that as Pittman comes on, Pascal would work more out of the slot. So yes, kinda, but Pascal is certainly not a like for like, doesn't replace what Campbell brings, or fill the void of that type of WR. 

6 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Thoughts?

Dulin, Fountain, Harris, and Johnson (if he signs) are the guys with similar traits. 

What I'd like to see

X - 70% Pittman, 20 % Patmon, 10% Pascal

S - 30% Dulin, 30% Pascal, 20% TY, 20% Patmon

Z - 60% TY, 40% Fountain

(nobody over 80 total %)

Pittman made a big jump in snaps from W1 to W2, We all expected him to steal snaps from Pascal at X as the season went on, but that's likely expedited. The above is my long term hope. Short term, I'd expect Pascal to get a higher % to start at Slot. The injury to PC though may end up interestingly enough, mean just a shuffle and a chance for Patmon (who is very unlike PC).

13 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Ty , Mack and hooker are done in Ind after this year

IMO Mack and TY will be resigned.

Mack-I think Ballard will offer him a back up RB contract. He may or may not sign it if he gets a better offer. 

Hilton-It's up to him to earn another contract. If he does Ballard will offer him a contract whatever he thinks he's worth.  

Hooker-?

37 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Mack-I think Ballard will offer him a back up RB contract. He may or may not sign it if he gets a better offer. 

Hilton-It's up to him to earn another contract. If he does Ballard will offer him a contract whatever he thinks he's worth.  

Hooker-?

Depends on how Mack recovers from the Achilles whether or not he's considered.  That is a major injury that could effectively end his effectiveness as a runner.

Man TY has been pretty bad.  Hopefully, it's just a temporary mental thing because he's still getting open.

I would really be surprised if Hooker were being looked at anyway (and I thought he had a terrific about year and a half), now with the Achilles, I can't imagine him on this team next year.

21 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Thoughts?

Dulin has no where near the speed of Campbell. Pittman and Pascal will step up in his place. With a sprinkle of fountain in the mix. 

21 hours ago, Smash Mouth said:

Pascal is also an experienced run blocking WR, which is why he saw a lot of playing time last year. I think Pascal gets more minutes now.

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

Depends on how Mack recovers from the Achilles whether or not he's considered.  That is a major injury that could effectively end his effectiveness as a runner.

Man TY has been pretty bad.  Hopefully, it's just a temporary mental thing because he's still getting open.

I would really be surprised if Hooker were being looked at anyway (and I thought he had a terrific about year and a half), now with the Achilles, I can't imagine him on this team next year.

I do know Reich had said the Sun may have been a factor on the TY drop, they had wanted to avoid that play going that way due to that, but he decided to good a shot to take

Just now, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I do know Reich had said the Sun may have been a factor on the TY drop, they had wanted to avoid that play going that way due to that, but he decided to good a shot to take

Hopefully that's it, but man those two drops at the end of the Jax game are just catches that have to be made.  I'm not saying they are easy catches, but they have to be made.

As far as I can tell he's been getting open regularly, so that's great.

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Hopefully that's it, but man those two drops at the end of the Jax game are just catches that have to be made.  I'm not saying they are easy catches, but they have to be made.

As far as I can tell he's been getting open regularly, so that's great.

I am with you completely, he needs to make those catches. He said so much himself too.  I just wanted to say what Reich had said about the most recent one. Hopefully he gets back to being TY as we know he still has the skills. I think give him a few short passes get his confidence up or else he may start pressing

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

Dulin has no where near the speed of Campbell. Pittman and Pascal will step up in his place. With a sprinkle of fountain in the mix. 

Campbell - 4.31

Dulin - 4.39 as comparison Taylor ran a 4.39 and Hines ran a 4.38 (and most would say the were really fast) So it's not so far fetched for Dulin to run out of the slot

Fountain - 4.46

Pascal - 4.48

On 9/22/2020 at 12:04 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Hooker-?

I don’t see us bring Mack back because the ACL injury unless he signs a prove it 1 year deal , Malik Hooker is done we won’t bring him back and TY is not coming back unless he signs for a 2 year 15 contract or something like that if he want big money or long term deal he’s done . Unless TY play drastically improves as he is right now he can heart get open on no name rookie corner backs 

On 9/22/2020 at 4:11 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Campbell - 4.31

Dulin - 4.39 as comparison Taylor ran a 4.39 and Hines ran a 4.38 (and most would say the were really fast) So it's not so far fetched for Dulin to run out of the slot

Fountain - 4.46

Pascal - 4.48

Pascal was 4.55 at the combine and 4.54 at his pro day. He's the slowest WR on the roster, but does run good routes and has a good cut, so his lack of top end speed isn't all that bad. He's just not a deep threat guy against DBs with decent speed like some others who can blow the top off..

Dulin is 4.43, which is still really fast.

On 9/22/2020 at 2:55 PM, ProblChld32 said:

Super small school/conference, but Dulin set conference records in the 100 meter, the 110 meter hurdles, the 200 meters, the 400 meter hurdles and the long jump. Dulin was named the G-MAC indoor track athlete of the year and a Division II All-American in the 60 meter hurdles as a junior. He's got great short speed at 4.43, but even better long speed. He's about the same height as Pascal, but a good bit faster. His agility and quickness numbers were significantly better than Pascals too. Right now, Dulin is easily the better athlete, but still raw from a route perspective. 

Here's his combine profile if you want to check it out.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ashton-dulin/32194455-4c52-1764-a87e-56f5232faa90

30 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Pascal was 4.55 at the combine and 4.54 at his pro day. He's the slowest WR on the roster, but does run good routes and has a good cut, so his lack of top end speed isn't all that bad. He's just not a deep threat guy against DBs with decent speed like some others who can blow the top off..

Dulin is 4.43, which is still really fast.

Super small school/conference, but Dulin set conference records in the 100 meter, the 110 meter hurdles, the 200 meters, the 400 meter hurdles and the long jump. Dulin was named the G-MAC indoor track athlete of the year and a Division II All-American in the 60 meter hurdles as a junior. He's got great short speed at 4.43, but even better long speed. He's about the same height as Pascal, but a good bit faster. His agility and quickness numbers were significantly better than Pascals too. Right now, Dulin is easily the better athlete, but still raw from a route perspective. 

Here's his combine profile if you want to check it out.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ashton-dulin/32194455-4c52-1764-a87e-56f5232faa90

I still stand by my thought process that Dulin's athletic profile leans more towards Campbells than either of Pascal (possession) or Fountain (Z). Dulin is fast, agile, strong and a good open field runner in a similar fashion to Campbell.

I agree he does have a track runners long speed as well, however, I still disagree on the short speed where Pascal is concerned. Here is his Pro Day results:

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/18/dallas-cowboys-old-dominion-university-pro-day-2017-david-washington-zach-pascal-rashaad-coward-nfl-draft/

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

I still stand by my thought process that Dulin's athletic profile leans more towards Campbells than either of Pascal (possession) or Fountain (Z). Dulin is fast, agile, strong and a good open field runner in a similar fashion to Campbell.

I agree he does have a track runners long speed as well, however, I still disagree on the short speed where Pascal is concerned. Here is his Pro Day results:

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/18/dallas-cowboys-old-dominion-university-pro-day-2017-david-washington-zach-pascal-rashaad-coward-nfl-draft/

Both Dulin and Fountain have the measurables to be good "traditional" slots or Zs. Dulin arguably has enough height to play X too. I absolutely agree they are better fits for "traditional" slot than Pascal. But Pascal has already spent a good deal of time running out of the slot as a "big/bully" slot. 25% of his snaps last year were out of the slot. 42% this year so far, and that will increase. Most expected it to increase as Pittman took more and more X snaps. Campbell's injury just accelerated the move, and will increase his touches (because he's not sharing with PC). We'll just have to see who also shares in the snaps. Reich mentioned Hines and TY, and IIRC might have also mentioned the bigs too. At the end of the day, slot is flexible area in terms of size/speed (traditional vs big/bully) and can go either way based on play call or down and distance. 

As far as Pascal's pro-day is concerned, that was not the official. Note it says "some scouts" clocked him at XX. That likely means they were hand timed. In another article Zach himself mentioned one scout clocked him at XX, the other scout at YY. I'm not saying a WR can't improve his time, or that pro days are always wrong, but they are known for a bit of home cooking, and smaller schools typically aren't laser timed. We know that the combine is accurate though. I'm always willing to assume a guy can be +/- 0.05 better or worse on a good or bad day. 0.07 is a little above my margin, but OK lol. 

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/article_eae8303b-46df-5413-9bdd-0161c07852e3.html

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Both Dulin and Fountain have the measurables to be good "traditional" slots or Zs. Dulin arguably has enough height to play X too. I absolutely agree they are better fits for "traditional" slot than Pascal. But Pascal has already spent a good deal of time running out of the slot as a "big/bully" slot. 25% of his snaps last year were out of the slot. 42% this year so far, and that will increase. Most expected it to increase as Pittman took more and more X snaps. Campbell's injury just accelerated the move, and will increase his touches (because he's not sharing with PC). We'll just have to see who also shares in the snaps. Reich mentioned Hines and TY, and IIRC might have also mentioned the bigs too. At the end of the day, slot is flexible area in terms of size/speed (traditional vs big/bully) and can go either way based on play call or down and distance. 

As far as Pascal's pro-day is concerned, that was not the official. Note it says "some scouts" clocked him at XX. That likely means they were hand timed. In another article Zach himself mentioned one scout clocked him at XX, the other scout at YY. I'm not saying a WR can't improve his time, or that pro days are always wrong, but they are known for a bit of home cooking, and smaller schools typically aren't laser timed. We know that the combine is accurate though. I'm always willing to assume a guy can be +/- 0.05 better or worse on a good or bad day. 0.07 is a little above my margin, but OK lol. 

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/article_eae8303b-46df-5413-9bdd-0161c07852e3.html

As long as whomever they put there is successful, that is all I ever truly care about!

Archived