Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does It Surprise You That 5/6 Released Players Have Not Been Picked Up?

UndecidedFrog

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mhhm I wont discuss the Tamme situation of letting him walk, that was a mistake in my opinion

What was it he got ... 3 years, 9 million? I see no mistake in not signing him to that kind of dough. To me he was just an avrage, servicable body. No big loss.

It had more to do with our identity being scraped. Fans don't really associate many of the guys we've kept with their memory of Manning's Colts. That's why it was important we kept Mathis and Wayne, aside from the fact that they're great players, they remind us of times gone by. With them we retain some of our identity, which is good for the fans psyche.

Good or bad, sentiment has no place in football. Mathis and Wayne were signed because management thinks they can still play, not because they are a link to the past. If it helps fans psyche, that's just a bonus, but it doesn't factor into the decision to sign them or not.

Good or bad, sentiment has no place in football. Mathis and Wayne were signed because management thinks they can still play, not because they are a link to the past. If it helps fans psyche, that's just a bonus, but it doesn't factor into the decision to sign them or not.

I don't see where Ruksak suggested that they were signed for this reason.

He only pointed out the positive effect on the fan base as a result.

As much as I love Dallas, I think other NFL teams are wondering how much of his success he owes to #18. Add that to his health issues and drops last season and he becomes one of those late free agency stop gaps for a team that needs a body at TE. I think he can be productive somewhere, but his best days are behind him. I doubt the Colts resign him even if they have their eye on Fleener (keep dreaming) He doesn't block well enough to fit our new philosophy IMO. We will try to get a hands TE, but I think whoever it is will have to have better blocking poential than #44.

I think Addai will land somewhere, not as a featured back, but he will contribute. It has been hard for Indy RBs for years. If he gets behind a good line, blocking for a decent QB, he will provide alot of value for what he'll command in salary.

I am a little surprised nobody has picked up some of these guys just because so many teams cleared cap space specifically for this season. Free agency has been wild so far, but there haven't been as many head scratcher deals as I expected, yet. Some guys got too much $$ (?PG?) but not very many teams overpaying old guys. There is still time (1st or 2nd for Freeney anyone?).

no one is gonna give up that much for a guy that compared to how Freeny has produced in the past did underproduce this last year and yes I am taking into account we had a guy like Mathis opposite of him. besides that Freeny isnt young anymore and their are younger options in the draft that may be able to produce as much as Freeny has I just dont see anyone giving up that much for an aging defensive end when if someone was going to give up as much as their first pick they can make a deal for Jason Pierre Paul for example, younger and in my opinion just as good, theirs better options to be had for giving up a first or second, Freeny is great we all know that but hes not young anymore

What was it he got ... 3 years, 9 million? I see no mistake in not signing him to that kind of dough. To me he was just an avrage, servicable body. No big loss.

I agree, Tamme never showed much in my book and they didn't lose much when he left but Clark unless he is still not 100% should find a home before the season starts.

It had more to do with our identity being scraped. Fans don't really associate many of the guys we've kept with their memory of Manning's Colts. That's why it was important we kept Mathis and Wayne, aside from the fact that they're great players, they remind us of times gone by. With them we retain some of our identity, which is good for the fans psyche.

This current identity. I have seen a few Colt identities.

BTW, I put my "Dark side of the Moon" shirt on, and my faded jeans. Sign me up for the Peace club.

peace.jpg

Don't surprise me at all. Fans always have a tendency to over value the players on the team they root for. Guy's like Brackett and Clark were good players for what the Colts did but were not outstanding. They don't really fit what a lot of teams are looking for, espesially Brackett. Clark will be a nice backup piece for a contending team but nothing more than that. Addai is a below average RB, but has good pass blocking skills. Most teams already have guys like that on the roster and are better RB's to begin with. I think it says a lot about what teams think of Clark, that Tamme has been picked up before him. Clark was over rated due to the fact that Manning made him better than he really is.

Don't surprise me at all. Fans always have a tendency to over value the players on the team they root for. Guy's like Brackett and Clark were good players for what the Colts did but were not outstanding. They don't really fit what a lot of teams are looking for, espesially Brackett. Clark will be a nice backup piece for a contending team but nothing more than that. Addai is a below average RB, but has good pass blocking skills. Most teams already have guys like that on the roster and are better RB's to begin with. I think it says a lot about what teams think of Clark, that Tamme has been picked up before him. Clark was over rated due to the fact that Manning made him better than he really is.

On his game, Clark was as good as any TE in the league. Unfortunately he became too fragile. So I have to disagree on that one. Agree totally re Addai.

Like I and a few others were saying Addai and brackett were never starter material. And if they were singed for that they would soon lose their role because they aren't what you'd call top players. Most of the colts old players were like Porsche cars in a garage full of land rovers... good for the colts but don't really fit with other teams.

They were cut for a reason. Including that Manning guy.

I'm staying well clear of this 'Peace' Club thingy, sounds very dodgy. Unless I get a free pair of sandals if I join up, And a badge. A badge would swing it.

We're working on a sig box. That's kind of a badge, ain't it? Join the movement you jolly bloke. Am I speaking your language yet? peace.gif

Well, I wasn't trying to imply that it had anything to do with soothing the rabid fans psyche. I was just suggesting the ancillary effect was positive. At least we recognize the names and that helps prevent an identity crisis, so to speak.

From our glory days we have;

Maybe Freeney

Mathis

Wayne

Bethea

Who else am I missing?

Like I and a few others were saying Addai and brackett were never starter material. And if they were singed for that they would soon lose their role because they aren't what you'd call top players. Most of the colts old players were like Porsche cars in a garage full of land rovers... good for the colts but don't really fit with other teams.

Good analogy. Would add that they are vintage Porsche's - awesome in their day, very expensive asking prices, and require a lot of expensive maintenance.

This forum is going to be a 2012 version of Haight-Ashbury

Have you been to Haight-Ashbury recently? It's a slum filled with meth addicts.

Unless that's what we're going for, in which case I need to mug one of you.

:D

Of the 6 players the Colts released this off-season, only Manning was picked up by the Broncos.

Clark, Addai, Brackett, Bullitt and Painter are still FAs who have not yet been picked up by another team.

Does this surprise you?

Not in the least Frog. I wish we knew how many of them have actually failed a physical with another team. I feel Clark still has hand issues, and we dod not know; Addai may have chronic issues with that hamstring. Bullitt and Brackett still rehabbing. I have not read through ALL of the comments. This is just In my opinion.

With Painter, Bill Polian continues to say he 'does not have a job' because he did not have an adequate back-up to Peyton Manning. When a 6-time Exec of the year says that....my guess Painter needs to look at Canada or Arena if he wants to play QB.

Where did you hear that? Looks OK to me.

Didn't hear it, I saw it. (Went to San Fran for honeymoon a few years back)

Always was a big dead fan so naturally wanted to go there on our list of stops. Now, I wasn't alive in the 60s, but to hear the stories you'd think it was a place of love and happiness. We saw neither when we went.

I just harshed the forum's buzz didn't I?

Not really surprised by this. Shows that we made the right decision with the new direction going forward.. Was a shock as we have cheered for them for a long time, but not the building blocks and future that teams are looking for

Have not seem anything regarding Painter going to the Ravens, the FA Tracker at ESPN still shows him open and available

Just checked the Raven's roster. Painter is not showing. If it was "awhile back" he should show. The Ravens update their site quickly. Everything I have checked still show Painter as a free agent.

Yep, that is correct. That was a rumor floating around, that Painter could be the 3rd QB behind Flacco and Bulger, nothing more to it :).

Didn't hear it, I saw it. (Went to San Fran for honeymoon a few years back)

Always was a big dead fan so naturally wanted to go there on our list of stops. Now, I wasn't alive in the 60s, but to hear the stories you'd think it was a place of love and happiness. We saw neither when we went.

I just harshed the forum's buzz didn't I?

Why would you honeymoon in a city infamous for its public nudity?

sub-nude-popup.jpg

Just checked the Raven's roster. Painter is not showing. If it was "awhile back" he should show. The Ravens update their site quickly. Everything I have checked still show Painter as a free agent.

hmmmm....the interwebs lied again!

I figured Painter for a CFL QB or perhaps the AFL. I don't see why anyone would sign him?

I am extremely surprised that Dallas hasn't landed somewhere yet. I guess that since he is a nine year veteran that is what is keeping people from going after him.

On a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being extremely surprised)

Clark - 4 (he is a proven receiver but maybe his blocking skills are what is keeping him from serious interest)

Addai - 2.5 (most teams overlook him. His numbers are not great for a feature back compared to the two or three that are still out there)

Brackett - 2.5 (if he wasn't a Colt would he even have been the starting MLB on most teams?)

Painter - .5 (given opportunity and proved that he wasn't ready and didn't really prepare since he had Peyton in front of him, maybe it is a question of "on field" work ethic)

Bullit - 1 (yes we loved him but outside of Colts fans does anyone really know who he is?)

While Clark was solid for us and in my opinion probably has a year or two left, Manning made him better then he was, he didnt have elite tight end speed or Jimmy Graham type leaping ability or even Tony Gonzalez at the age Gonzalez is now , Clark has never been on the level of Gonzalez, Gates, Graham, Gronkowski heck if it werent for Gronkowski Clark might not even be on the level of Hernandez, Clark was suitable at the time but Manning made him better, Id of kept Tamme first,