Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cam Newton

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
On 4/25/2020 at 6:14 PM, dw49 said:

I'm saying he's a gut cinch to sign with NE. They must be just working the details out as there's no way NE wouldn't have taken one of those QB's outside the first round.

Who is this genius that said this was a "gut cinch" back on April 25th.

5 hours ago, dw49 said:

Who is this genius that said this was a "gut cinch" back on April 25th.

Thanks for the "like" NCF but I must say that this probably was not their "plan" back in the April draft. Otherwise they would have signed Newton 2 months ago. I'm reading that this was Newton's only offer. Seems crazy that he might be paid only around 1 mill for the season. Half what Colt McCoy is being paid.

10 minutes ago, BigO said:

Wow! New England gets Cam for 1 million and what are we paying our backup

What we are paying for our back up QB has exactly zero to do with Cam signing a scrub deal with the Patriots. Not one other team in the NFL wanted Cam and the Patriots got him for a song and a dance and you think it's a wow factor?

How much does Hoyer get paid?? And he is going to be sitting behind Newton and Stidman??

This is a very lopsided agreement that borders on being ridiculous. Maybe Newton is offering a $1M deal contract to prove he is good enough to make the team. If he does than what???

1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

How much does Hoyer get paid?? And he is going to be sitting behind Newton and Stidman??

This is a very lopsided agreement that borders on being ridiculous. Maybe Newton is offering a $1M deal contract to prove he is good enough to make the team. If he does than what???

Hoyer is only getting paid 1M. They basically have 3 QBs for 3M. 

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

What we are paying for our back up QB has exactly zero to do with Cam signing a scrub deal with the Patriots. Not one other team in the NFL wanted Cam and the Patriots got him for a song and a dance and you think it's a wow factor?

It will be a wow factor if he ends up starting and does well. If he doesn't start, or starts and doesn't perform, nobody will care. It does however have the potential to be a "wow".

Personally, I'd rather have Newton over JB in general regardless of $ (assuming Newton is healthy). If you weigh in the dollars 1M vs 21M, it's a no brainer.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Hoyer is only getting paid 1M. They basically have 3 QBs for 3M. 

It will be a wow factor if he ends up starting and does well. If he doesn't start, or starts and doesn't perform, nobody will care. It does however have the potential to be a "wow".

Personally, I'd rather have Newton over JB in general regardless of $ (assuming Newton is healthy). If you weigh in the dollars 1M vs 21M, it's a no brainer.

Personally, IMO the money makes no difference. Way too much has been made on what JB makes and always has been. Some act like the money is coming out of their own pocket.

As far as what the Patriots are doing with Cam, I couldn't care less.

26 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Personally, IMO the money makes no difference. Way too much has been made on what JB makes and always has been. Some act like the money is coming out of their own pocket.

dittoicon GIF by ditto ditto

35 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

This is quite possibly your worst post ever as a poster on this forum. You are basically saying as fans we shouldn't think about football in any sort of professional way and completely deevolve our brains from 50+ years of evolution from the SB era.

Sorry, things don't work like that. People think of the team if they were in the GM and Coach's shoes. How they run the team. Is it right? Would I do this different? Should they of paid out this contract? Is the cap being handled well? Is that the right draft pick?

Madden and fantasy football may have a big part in it, but it's still a step in the right direction and it creates a smarter, more informed fan. You are literally wanting the opposite with a lot of your posts lately about JB and the cap and such, for people not to think at all and blindly watch as the FO does it's job while keeping their mouth shut.

That's the WORST thing you can do is just to keep quiet in this world. That's how people pass you by. Even Ballard said in his draft series this series that if you have something to say, say it. He wants to hear your thoughts. You hold this team to a God like status (you're not the only one here who does that) and it's really irritating from even a human point of view.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is quite possibly your worst post ever as a poster on this forum. You are basically saying as fans we shouldn't think about football in any sort of professional way and completely deevolve our brains from 50+ years of evolution from the SB era.

Sorry, things don't work like that. People think of the team if they were in the GM and Coach's shoes. How they run the team. Is it right? Would I do this different? Should they of paid out this contract? Is the cap being handled well? Is that the right draft pick?

Madden and fantasy football may have a big part in it, but it's still a step in the right direction and it creates a smarter, more informed fan. You are literally wanting the opposite with a lot of your posts lately about JB and the cap and such, for people not to think at all and blindly watch as the FO does it's job while keeping their mouth shut.

That's the WORST thing you can do is just to keep quiet in this world. That's how people pass you by. Even Ballard said in his draft series this series that if you have something to say, say it. He wants to hear your thoughts. You hold this team to a God like status (you're not the only one here who does that) and it's really irritating from even a human point of view.

You think way too much about something you have no control over.

On 6/29/2020 at 7:33 PM, dw49 said:

Thanks for the "like" NCF but I must say that this probably was not their "plan" back in the April draft. Otherwise they would have signed Newton 2 months ago. I'm reading that this was Newton's only offer. Seems crazy that he might be paid only around 1 mill for the season. Half what Colt McCoy is being paid.

The $1 million is the base salary.   Reportedly,  there are reachable incentives to $7.5 million. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

No team wants to spend 21M on a backup QB. It's simply bad financials. Most fans don't care about the money in "general", they do however see it as money that could be spent in other place of greater need. That kind of money buys you a Pro Bowl talent, or even 2-3 starters.

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

No team wants to spend 21M on a backup QB. It's simply bad financials. Most fans don't care about the money in "general", they do however see it as money that could be spent in other place of greater need. That kind of money buys you a Pro Bowl talent, or even 2-3 starters.

As it stands right now the Colts are not in need of another pro bowl talent or another 2-3 starters. Ballard has drafted and traded well enough that those issues are not needed as much as other teams.

After this season we will be in pretty good shape as far as the cap so making an issue out of it is a waist of time.

If there is a player that Ballard thought would be worth it, he can make it happen if he chooses to.

With all the positives this team has complaining about what JB makes is not worth it. It's a small problem compared to what most teams are facing.

Ballard has done a lot of things right.  However, I think he has paid top dollar for mediocre QB talent.  He paid a 38 year old Rivers $25 million coming off a 20 interception season.  Who else was competing for his services at the time he was signed?  I didn’t hear a lot of buzz on Rivers outside of Indy because he was familiar to the coaching staff.  $25 mil is way too much in my opinion.  I think he should have gone in the second or third wave of free agency not the first.  Did the Colts bid against themselves here?  Then there was that contract that Ballard gave Jacoby as a vote of confidence before seeing how he would actually perform in the lead role. Certainly what Jacoby did in 2017 didn’t warrant that kind of payday.  Not even getting to the fact that Ballard and Irsay gave all that money to Luck to sit out the rest of his contract at home. Sure the Colts had the cap to pay these guys what they did but that doesn’t make it money well spent.  Those dollars could have been allocated differently to garner more depth on this roster or maybe even another impact type player at a different position of need. This doesn’t get talked about enough in my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Ballard has done a lot of things right.  However, I think he has paid top dollar for mediocre QB talent.  He paid a 38 year old Rivers $25 million coming off a 20 interception season.  Who else was competing for his services at the time he was signed?  I didn’t hear a lot of buzz on Rivers outside of Indy because he was familiar to the coaching staff.  $25 mil is way too much in my opinion.  I think he should have gone in the second or third wave of free agency not the first.  Did the Colts bid against themselves here?  Then there was that contract that Ballard gave Jacoby as a vote of confidence before seeing how he would actually perform in the lead role. Certainly what Jacoby did in 2017 didn’t warrant that kind of payday.  Not even getting to the fact that Ballard and Irsay gave all that money to Luck to sit out the rest of his contract at home. Sure the Colts had the cap to pay these guys what they did but that doesn’t make it money well spent.  Those dollars could have been allocated differently to garner more depth on this roster or maybe even another impact type player at a different position of need. This doesn’t get talked about enough in my opinion. 

How about letting it play out before condemning it?

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

As it stands right now the Colts are not in need of another pro bowl talent or another 2-3 starters. Ballard has drafted and traded well enough that those issues are not needed as much as other teams.

After this season we will be in pretty good shape as far as the cap so making an issue out of it is a waist of time.

If there is a player that Ballard thought would be worth it, he can make it happen if he chooses to.

With all the positives this team has complaining about what JB makes is not worth it. It's a small problem compared to what most teams are facing.

Huh? We've got plenty of holes and big ?s, and absolutely would be in a better position for a SB run with a few upgrades. You're doing mental gymnastics to diminish the impact a very bad contract for 2019. There's simply no spin you can put on things that would suggest spending ~10% of the team's salary cap on a backup QB is a positive, or that ~10% of the salary cap couldn't be better utilized to make the team better, even only for a one year deal.

We're paying JB almost the same amount for ALL of our DBs combined. We're paying JB almost the same amount for ALL of our WRs combined. We're paying JB almost double the amount we're paying for all the TEs combined. We're paying JB more than all the LBs combined.

There were several quality DEs and DBs that we could have been in the mix for. And there are still a couple. And there were, and are still several OTs and OGs that would absolutely improve what is very questionable depth along our OL.

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

How about letting it play out before condemning it?

The market numbers are what they are.  The Colts have already over paid for the QB position when you consider the amounts doled out to a retired Luck, Rivers at age 38, and Jacoby now in a backup role.  No amount of production Rivers can put up this season will negate all that.  I mean no disrespect but the Colts have spent way too much on the position relative to what they actually have.  As I said, I believe Ballard is doing a fantastic job overall. However, he isn’t above some criticism here in my opinion.  

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Huh? We've got plenty of holes and big ?s, and absolutely would be in a better position for a SB run with a few upgrades. You're doing mental gymnastics to diminish the impact a very bad contract for 2019. There's simply no spin you can put on things that would suggest spending ~10% of the team's salary cap on a backup QB is a positive, or that ~10% of the salary cap couldn't be better utilized to make the team better, even only for a one year deal.

We're paying JB almost the same amount for ALL of our DBs combined. We're paying JB almost the same amount for ALL of our WRs combined. We're paying JB almost double the amount we're paying for all the TEs combined. We're paying JB more than all the LBs combined.

There were several quality DEs and DBs that we could have been in the mix for. And there are still a couple. And there were, and are still several OTs and OGs that would absolutely improve what is very questionable depth along our OL.

All I am am saying is 'so what'? It is what it is and I am not sitting around losing sleep over what Brissett is making. If it's that big a deal to you that's your prerogative. Feel free, knock yourself out with it. 

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

All I am am saying is 'so what'? It is what it is and I am not sitting around losing sleep over what Brissett is making. If it's that big a deal to you that's your prerogative. Feel free, knock yourself out with it. 

LOL, I'll never lose sleep over anything football. I sleep like a baby. Just saying, financially it's a negative that can preclude us from improving in other areas of obvious need. If you don't care about improving the roster, or at minimum having increased carryover for future contracts, OK. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

LOL, I'll never lose sleep over anything football. I sleep like a baby. Just saying, financially it's a negative that can preclude us from improving in other areas of obvious need. If you don't care about improving the roster, or at minimum having increased carryover for future contracts, OK. 

Now you are attempting to put words and meaning to what I sad? No, go argue with someone else please. 

36 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Now you are attempting to put words and meaning to what I sad? No, go argue with someone else please. 

Umm.. You said, quote

As it stands right now the Colts are not in need of another pro bowl talent or another 2-3 starters

I didn't make you type those words.

38 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Umm.. You said, quote

I didn't make you type those words.

I guess you have a hard time comprehending what I said when I said go argue with someone else. 

But if you feel you need to have the last word, be my guest. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess you have a hard time comprehending what I said when I said go argue with someone else. 

But if you feel you need to have the last word, be my guest. 

You can simply stop replying at any time. 

Sorry to correct you're last post, but I did not put words in your mouth. You said what you said.

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You can simply stop replying at any time. 

Sorry to correct you're last post, but I did not put words in your mouth. You said what you said.

Welcome to ignore. It's been a couple of years since I put anyone on ignore. Normally that was reserved for aggravating Patriot fans. ( you seem to have a fair share of Patriot blood in your system) 

48 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Welcome to ignore. It's been a couple of years since I put anyone on ignore. Normally that was reserved for aggravating Patriot fans. ( you seem to have a fair share of Patriot blood in your system) 

giphy.gif

Colts have plenty of money to sign anyone they want right now.

JB contract is not prohibiting that at all.

They have came out and said they want to see what our young DE's can do. That is why we didn't bring in Clowney or Griffen, not because of Brissett's contract.

Again, if there was a player we wanted, we could sign them.

Cam Newton is so cheap, and didn't get offered a contract earlier, because he couldn't come in for a physical and most likely was wanting $20m+ when he was released.

25 minutes ago, w87r said:

Colts have plenty of money to sign anyone they want right now.

JB contract is not prohibiting that at all.

They have came out and said they want to see what our young DE's can do. That is why we didn't bring in Clowney or Griffen, not because of Brissett's contract.

Again, if there was a player we wanted, we could sign them.

Cam Newton is so cheap, and didn't get offered a contract earlier, because he couldn't come in for a physical and most likely was wanting $20m+ when he was released.

Thank You GIF by Originals

IMO JB is arguably the best back up in the league. He can step in and play 2 or 3 good games. After this year our Cap space will be excellent and JB will be off the books anyway so to me paying JB a lot doesn't bother me. It isn't like he has a 3 year contract starting this season. If Rivers goes down for some odd reason, at least we have a solid backup.

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

id rather have cam than jacoby tbh, a lot of people hate cam though

i still say he would have never got that fumble if he dove for it

Him recovering the fumble makes no difference. He didn't even make an effort. That was a serious problem. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Him recovering the fumble makes no difference. He didn't even make an effort. That was a serious problem. 

i dont have a problem with it. if he got hurt diving for it their chances of winning are slim to none, i dont believe he would have came up with it either a defender was already mid dive and knocked it away 

its strange how fans pick and choose when its ok for a player to protect them self. 

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i dont have a problem with it. if he got hurt diving for it their chances of winning are slim to none, i dont believe he would have came up with it either a defender was already mid dive and knocked it away 

its strange how fans pick and choose when its ok for a player to protect them self. 

Is that any stranger than some who think it's no big deal for a player not even making an effort? 

Sorry, I don't think you are the majority on this issue. 

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's the SB he should've dove, JMO. That was a bad look on his part and almost everyone agree's.

yeah most people seem to feel that way.  we have all seen that replay a lot, i think he was more likely to hurt a knee or concussion than come up with that ball

cam has put himself in harms way a lot, he must have really not liked his chances there 

Archived