Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts agree to terms with CB TJ Carrie

MTC

5 hours ago, DoubleE Colt said:

So when's Wilson getting cut! :funny:

Wilson showed some very promising traits in 2018.  I think Ballard really likes Wilson, but he did mention a few times that he's not concerned about Wilson's physical skills, but was wondering if he was having confidence issues.  Just from listening to press conferences, I get the feeling that Ballard is hoping Wilson bounces back to his 2018 form and continues improving.  Won't be shocked to see Wilson get cut, but don't think that's in the immediate plans.

4 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

So Rock is CB1 at this point? Doubt it.

I don't know that our D truly has a CB1.  I don't really recall our CBs really shadowing other teams' #1 WR, rather they play their side of the field in a cover 2 scheme.  Anyway, Rock made significant progress as last year unfolded.  I think he's going to continue improving.  I am happy going into this season as a starter.  

4 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

We still need a second strong safety?

I guess with his injury issues, I'm not too surprised that Geathers has not been brought back yet.  However, he was a captain and Ballard seems to really like him.  Anybody know if we've even been negotiating with him or if we're planning to let him walk?

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Carrie is likely depth behind Moore at Nickle. Wilson and Rhodes are likely battling it out for CB2 job. Not sure where Tell fits at this point, but love to see him develop.

I would take Carrie outside rather than Wilson. Carrie is capable of playing both inside and out , Wilson on the other hand he hasn’t really shown he can successfully and consistently play inside or outside. He’s in his final contract year and he’s looking to be the odd man out. 

33 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

I would take Carrie outside rather than Wilson. Carrie is capable of playing both inside and out , Wilson on the other hand he hasn’t really shown he can successfully and consistently play inside or outside. He’s in his final contract year and he’s looking to be the odd man out. 

I don't see Carrie or Wilson playing a bunch unless someone gets hurt. I see Tell likely being the first off the bench to back up CB1 or 2.

15 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

"Carrie, like Rhodes, struggled a bit in 2019. More than 68% of passes thrown his way were completed and he had a quarterback rating allowed of 105.1 He fared much better in 2018, however, with just 55.9% completions allowed an a QB rating of 76.3."

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/colts-insider/2020/03/30/colts-sign-t-j-carrie-adding-depth-cornerback/5089970002/

So we got two guys for relatively cheap who struggled last year with the hope that they will rebound in 2020.  

9 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

I wonder if Carrie or Rhodes could play strong safety? I think I read both were good tacklers but have not had great success lately in coverage.

Wouldn't Tell be our #2 SS being as that is what he played in college? 

16 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Wilson on the other hand he hasn’t really shown he can successfully and consistently play inside or outside. He’s in his final contract year and he’s looking to be the odd man out.

It ultimately comes down to playing on special teams and Wilson simply isn’t a part of that. If he’s not one of the starting cornerbacks and he’s not going to contribute on special teams, there often isn’t a role for him on game days.

24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I just got a chance to listen to his zoom interview. This guy is impressive. He is going to be a great leader if he makes the team. Wilson is going to have to really step up if he wants to make the team. 

I talked to a buddy who is a Browns fan. He said he's not the best starter, but good depth. I also read a few things on him. Several said he'd do best in a cover 2 D, so perhaps he'll do OK here. He played mostly nickelback for the Raiders, and was #2 or #3 for the Browns before being released this spring. If I had to guess, he'll be primarily Moore's backup if he makes the team. Just not sure if you want him playing any #1 or #2 CB.

Prior to the 2018 season Carrie signed a 4 year 31 million dollar contract with the Browns so his release could have been a cost cutting move along the lines of Desir. Maybe he has some good football left. There are probably 2 corner spots up for grabs behind Moore, Rock, Tell, and Rhodes.

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I talked to a buddy who is a Browns fan. He said he's not the best starter, but good depth. I also read a few things on him. Several said he'd do best in a cover 2 D, so perhaps he'll do OK here. He played mostly nickelback for the Raiders, and was #2 or #3 for the Browns before being released this spring. If I had to guess, he'll be primarily Moore's backup if he makes the team. Just not sure if you want him playing any #1 or #2 CB.

Yes I do think this was a move to find a backup to Moore. I did read some quotes from him and he talked about blitzing and the fun stuff of playing in the slot.  

16 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Prior to the 2018 season Carrie signed a 4 year 31 million dollar contract with the Browns so his release could have been a cost cutting move along the lines of Desir. Maybe he has some good football left. There are probably 2 corner spots up for grabs behind Moore, Rock, Tell, and Rhodes.

I'm sure it was cost cutting, but from what I've heard from a few Browns fans, had a lot to do with performance as well. Overall, just very poor value, or bang for buck. His PFF rating and PR allowed aren't very good. Hoping he fits better in our C2. Like I said in an earlier post, he'll likely be Moore's back up. If the guy is starting at CB1 or CB2, I think we have major injury problems.

Lets not forget that he was let go for the same reason as Rhodes and that is they were both signed to heavy contracts but didn’t meet the demands!  Just because we signed him for $1MIL doesn’t mean he is camp fodder!  He was highly conveyed for a reason just didn’t work out in their system.  

Archived