Indianapolis Colts
MTC

Colts agree to terms with CB TJ Carrie

Hmm don’t know much about him, but it’s nice to see that Ballard is still churning away :stir:

To the google machine I go.....

• Like 1

I remember him being a decent player in Oakland. Haven't heard much from him since, but he should be a decent depth player. Hasn't been terrible the past three seasons: 

52 tackles, 1 INT, 1 FF, 4 PD, 1 Sack  

74 tackles, 1 INT, 2 FF, 8 PD, 1 Sack 

84 tackles, 9 PD 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

His draft profile from NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/travis-carrie?id=2543838

HEIGHT: 6'0"  

WEIGHT: 206 lb

ARM LENGTH: 31 7/8"

HANDS: 9 3/4"

STRENGTHS

Outstanding size -- looks the part of an NFL defensive back with a sculpted physique. Equipped to jam. Has speed to carry receivers vertically. Good zone awareness and ball reactions. Good hands to intercept. Sets the edge in run support. Smart and instinctive. Confident and competitive. Was a productive punt returner and has worked as a gunner.

WEAKNESSES

Tweener traits. Pedals tight. Shows some stiffness in his pedal and transition. Footwork needs to be coached up. Does not explode out of transition or display burst to recover. Average pop on contact. Will be a 24-year-old rookie -- missed two full seasons because of hip and shoulder injuries.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 3-4

BOTTOM LINE

Smoother-than-explosive, height-weight-speed prospect who will draw the attention of Cover-2 teams given his physicality, ball skills and tackling. Special-teams ability adds to value.

Based off of that, he seems like he could be a good scheme fit and be at least solid depth.

• Like 4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._J._Carrie

Cleveland Browns

On March 14, 2018, the Cleveland Browns signed Carrie to a four-year, $31 million contract that includes $15.50 million guaranteed and a signing bonus of $3.6 million.

Throughout training camp, Carrie competed to be a starting cornerback against Terrance Mitchell and E. J. Gaines.

Head coach Hue Jackson named him the third cornerback on the depth chart to start the regular season, behind Denzel Ward and Terrance Mitchell.

• Thanks 1

Camp body/depth piece. Worth pointing out he measured with long arms of 31 7/8" at the combine, just like huge majority of our DBs. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Caleb3502 said:

I remember him being a decent player in Oakland. Haven't heard much from him since, but he should be a decent depth player. Hasn't been terrible the past three seasons: 

52 tackles, 1 INT, 1 FF, 4 PD, 1 Sack  

74 tackles, 1 INT, 2 FF, 8 PD, 1 Sack 

84 tackles, 9 PD 

I like that he gets allot of tackles.   Seems like great cheap depth.   Nice job Ballard.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I like that he gets allot of tackles.   Seems like great cheap depth.   Nice job Ballard.  

Good pickup...

Seems like a very Ballard signing. Hope it works out well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Good pickup...

He seems like the prototypical type of guy Ballard wants on D.  Bigger CB, seems to be a solid tackler, thrives in cover 2, etc.  

• Like 1

Reported Contract Details:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Friendly Reminder from Tigertown    
   His stats might be skewed since he spent 2 years in Cleveland 

1 hour ago, MTC said:

Solid depth addition , Quincy Wilson should be put on notice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Myles said:

That’s a trait that CB looks for he likes  DBs that stick there nose in and get dirty. Part of the reason he didn’t go after Greedy, he she’s away from contact. Rock is a physical corner and willing tackler. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Agreed

6 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Carrie is likely depth behind Moore at Nickle. Wilson and Rhodes are likely battling it out for CB2 job. Not sure where Tell fits at this point, but love to see him develop.

He was also released this off-season, so doesn't count against comp picks.

CB/S versatility.

Can't find to many things wrong with that deal.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Carrie is likely depth behind Moore at Nickle. Wilson and Rhodes are likely battling it out for CB2 job. Not sure where Tell fits at this point, but love to see him develop.

So Rock is CB1 at this point? Doubt it.

• Confused 1

52 tackles in just 6 starts is phenomenal no matter how you slice it, especially for a CB!!!  No doubt, Carrie is willing to stick his nose in the pile and maybe all he needs is a chance to prove he is more than a backup?  Anybody seen or got film on him being torched trying to cover??  He grades above avg in run D but what about coverage??  

Good piece.  Signed for one year.  Not shocked at any of our signings being for a single season, but am somewhat surprised that outside of AC, all of our Free agent pickups have been one year.  Not that we've seen a ton of guys sign, but still, not even a depth signing for two or three seasons. Just thought it's not often you see that.

14 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

You think he won't be a starter along with Rhodes? Cause Rocky Rhodes on outside with Moore in the slot sure seems like Management's plan going into camp....

so we have Ya Sin, Moore, Rhodes, Wilson, Tell and TJ. Its super early but looks good right before the draft

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Good piece.  Signed for one year.  Not shocked at any of our signings being for a single season, but am somewhat surprised that outside of AC, all of our Free agent pickups have been one year.  Not that we've seen a ton of guys sign, but still, not even a depth signing for two or three seasons. Just thought it's not often you see that.

IMO

the one year deals of Day, Rhodes, and Carrie are a side effect of the unique Off season 

• Like 1

Nice depth signing by Ballard. He can play and is 29, can't ask more than that for a minimum contract. We may not draft a CB now, at least not early.

I thought they would draft a CB to develop as depth like they did last year with Tell.  They still could but I wasn't expecting another CB signing right after Rhodes.  This might be a domino move to enable them to trade Quincy now giving CB2 to Rhodes with Rock as CB1.  He could be traded alone or as part of a trade package for another player.  I'm sure I am the only one thinking this is a possibility but what the heck.  LOL

4 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

We still need a second strong safety?

Anyone have our latest cap number?

spotrac says 29 mil without the deals of Rhodes (5 mil), Day (?) and Carrie but already including draftees if I am correct. So we should be at around 20 mil right now, draft included.

21 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

52 tackles in just 6 starts is phenomenal no matter how you slice it, especially for a CB!!!  No doubt, Carrie is willing to stick his nose in the pile and maybe all he needs is a chance to prove he is more than a backup?  Anybody seen or got film on him being torched trying to cover??  He grades above avg in run D but what about coverage??  

"Carrie, like Rhodes, struggled a bit in 2019. More than 68% of passes thrown his way were completed and he had a quarterback rating allowed of 105.1 He fared much better in 2018, however, with just 55.9% completions allowed an a QB rating of 76.3."

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/colts-insider/2020/03/30/colts-sign-t-j-carrie-adding-depth-cornerback/5089970002/

• Like 2

He plays mostly slot. They are trying to find find a backup to Moore. Who knows if he will make the team.

Don't know much about him, throw all these guys in a pot, and see who rises to the top if any. He comes to Indy ridiculously cheap though. I think we still draft a corner as well. Honestly, I have Been a Colt fan a long time and its been some time since the Colts have been this active in free agency. Maybe NEVER like this! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

IDK. Rock handled CB1 duties week 8-12 while Desir was out IIRC, and also a decent amount after Desir came back. Rock's PFF weekly ratings also went up significantly in the second half of the season. He was in the 70 and 80s many of those weeks. 

Here's how they lined out

Player / Snaps / PFF rating / Catch:Target / %

Gone

Pierre Desir / 694 / 58.8 / 46:72 / 64%

CB1 and CB2 Candidates

Rock Ya Sin / 864 / 65.3 / 36:56 / 64%

Xavier Rhodes 807 / 46.4 / 59:70 / 84%

Marvel Tell / 249 / 67.6 / 22:34 / 65%

Quincy Wilson / 127 / 30.2 / 13:18 / 72%

Nickle / Slot CB

Kenny Moore / 641 / 75.5 / 39:51 / 76%

TJ Carrie / 693 /  56.2 / 46:62 / 74%

Who do you think is going to take over CB1? Rhodes gave up 59 catches on 70 targets giving up a 84% clip, and ended the year with a 46.4 PFF rating. That's 20 points lower than Rock's average, and likely 30 points lower vs Rock's 2nd half rating. Wilson played very little the second half of the season, and never hit the 40% mark in the first half (only 15% of Rock's snaps). His PFF was 30.2... Tell only really played in 4ish games mid season when Desier was out, and he was taking CB2 duties (only 29% of Rock's snaps)

• Like 3

I don't know much about him but given what I read and his stats, and aside his age - he brings more to the table than a late round draft pick.  If we are shooting to win all the way this year, we need defensive backs that can easily understand different strategies and adjustments during a game. Given our new DB coaches I am anticipating they have carved out the kind of players they want to fit their scheme. 

Rock Rhodes and Moore. Sounds like some good time music in the Colts' secondary. From where the Colts were when they cut Desir compared to today, I'm pleased. 

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

He plays mostly slot. They are trying to find find a backup to Moore. Who knows if he will make the team.

That is what we all have to keep in mind. 

Ballard will have 90 players in camp to work with. There will be some of these free agents that more than likely won't make the team. 

• Like 2

I'm guessing the depth chart would be:

Rhodes - boundary

------ Tell

Ya Sin - boundary

------- Wilson 

Moore - nickel

-------- Carrie

Draft a measurables type in the 5th or 6th - I mocked Michael Ojemudia from Iowa then we'll still have Rock, Moore, Tell and said rookie under contract next offseason.