Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Javon Kinlaw won't work out at the combine - knee tendinitis

Javon Kinlaw won't work out at the combine. Still has knee tendinitis. 

This is somewhat concerning. I've heard several people express worry about his knee BEFORE this development and now it shows up again. It happened at the Senior bowl too. No idea how serious it is, but some seem to think it might drop him in the draft.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Well, Simmons tore his ACL and still was drafted in the early 20s.  If this helps him fall to #13 (which I haven’t been predicting), I’d be happy to snag him there!

Agreed.  Simmons was the first thing I thought of.  It this helps him fall to us at 13, then go for it. Also, I would imagine that he is still doing his medical and if anything was major wrong, it would come out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Well, Simmons tore his ACL and still was drafted in the early 20s.  If this helps him fall to #13 (which I haven’t been predicting), I’d be happy to snag him there!

Simmons had more than just the ACL on his resume regarding red flags, too... 

I guess it depends on what is causing his knee tendinitis. The medicals will clear that hopefully. Some players get bad medicals and drop, though... for example - Jawaan Taylor dropped to the second round last year and he was considered one of the best OTs of the class. Myles Jack dropped to the second round too and he was considered a top 5 player... 

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

Simmons had more than just the ACL on his resume regarding red flags, too... 

I guess it depends on what is causing his knee tendinitis. The medicals will clear that hopefully. Some players get bad medicals and drop, though... for example - Jawaan Taylor dropped to the second round last year and he was considered one of the best OTs of the class. Myles Jack dropped to the second round too and he was considered a top 5 player... 

Agree...it depends on what is causing it. The fact that it has flared up twice before both the Senior Bowl and Combine (essentially his last two football activities) is definitely some cause for concern...until it doesn't happen at his Pro Day. If it happens there...then who knows what it would do to his stock.

If it is a recurring issue like this...it might point to a needed surgery. 

I would argue that Simmons was a better prospect than Kinlaw too. That's not to say Kinlaw isn't a great prospect...but I don't think he's a top 5 guy like some thought Simmons was (or Jack). 

I think he will be there at #13...and in that case...do the Colts take him or do they potentially look to move back a few spots. Trading back a few spots in the 1st round to garner some more ammo could make sense...especially in a scenario where the Colts want to jump up from #34 to grab their guy at QB.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Agree...it depends on what is causing it. The fact that it has flared up twice before both the Senior Bowl and Combine (essentially his last two football activities) is definitely some cause for concern...until it doesn't happen at his Pro Day. If it happens there...then who knows what it would do to his stock.

I would argue that Simmons was a better prospect than Kinlaw too. That's not to say Kinlaw isn't a great prospect...but I don't think he's a top 5 guy like some thought Simmons was (or Jack). 

I think he will be there at #13...and in that case...do the Colts take him or do they potentially look to move back a few spots. Trading back a few spots in the 1st round to garner some more ammo could make sense...especially in a scenario where the Colts want to jump up from #34 to grab their guy at QB.

Yep, I thought he was a top... 5-6 prospec too. And I liked him better than Kinlaw too. Although... again - this doesn't mean I don't like Kinlaw - I'd be very happy with him if we draft him. 

It depends on the medical report and if it is a Montez Sweat like question marks, you definitely have to think twice about getting Kinlaw at No.13, especially if you are expecting him to contribute in Year 1. If you feel like the 5th year option allows you to wait enough to play him, by all means get him, he is definitely worth it.

Hope he is healthy for his Pro Day.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I'd say pass.  Anyone with much of a injury history, I'd pass on. At least in the first

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Pass.  We have other needs and I want a sure thing starter or future QB at 13, not a potential lingering problem. 

Maybe we make a stronger play for some of the FA in a few weeks.

Funny , the different perspectives out there.  I would use almost the same logic FOR drafting Kinlaw.  I want a sure fire star (Kinlaw), rather than a potential lingering Problem (Love).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Archer said:

Funny , the different perspectives out there.  I would use almost the same logic FOR drafting Kinlaw.  I want a sure fire star (Kinlaw), rather than a potential lingering Problem (Love).  

At this point, after the information rolls in and is beginning to season, I don't want either at 13.

Maybe Jeudy is the safest pick with which to surely upgrade a starting position....both immediately and long term....with also having all-pro upside if that works out. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DougDew said:

At this point, after the information rolls in and is beginning to season, I don't want either at 13.

Maybe Jeudy is the safest pick with which to surely upgrade a starting position....both immediately and long term....with also having all-pro upside if that works out. 

I had a chance yesterday to watch a bit of the combine coverage and it was all about Jeudy.  He was training with sprinter Michael Johnson and he and his other trainers had nothing but praise about the kid. They were tweaking his technique by adjusting body movements by a matter of an inch or two.  Jeudy was highly coachable and took something like .15 off his 40 time. Not sure if they should draft him bc I haven’t followed any prospects this year(enjoying the break from obsessive reading), but I was impressed.  

11 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Agreed.  Simmons was the first thing I thought of.  It this helps him fall to us at 13, then go for it. Also, I would imagine that he is still doing his medical and if anything was major wrong, it would come out.

His weight shows up at 324 he gets it under 320 it could only help that knee.

I’ve been among the biggest proponents of us drafting Kinlaw.... but the #13 pick HAS to check out 100% medically.

If this strikes our medical staff as being a chronic condition for Javon.... as much as I hate to say it.... we should draft another player.

1st round picks are simply too valuable to spend on a player with question marks.... these are guys you want to be reasonably sure about enduring 10+ seasons with the team.

18 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

I’ve been among the biggest proponents of us drafting Kinlaw.... but the #13 pick HAS to check out 100% medically.

If this strikes our medical staff as being a chronic condition for Javon.... as much as I hate to say it.... we should draft another player.

1st round picks are simply too valuable to spend on a player with question marks.... these are guys you want to be reasonably sure about enduring 10+ seasons with the team.

I have 2 options at 13

Jordan Love 

Jerry Jeudy (If Love is gone)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

His weight shows up at 324 he gets it under 320 it could only help that knee.

Good catch.   Kinlaw’s tendinitis may have contributed to his weight gain. 

Hopefully,  he loses 10-12 pounds before his pro day.  That would be helpful.  

I’d hate it if he slips to us and we have to pass because the team docs flunk him on his medicals...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I had a chance yesterday to watch a bit of the combine coverage and it was all about Jeudy.  He was training with sprinter Michael Johnson and he and his other trainers had nothing but praise about the kid. They were tweaking his technique by adjusting body movements by a matter of an inch or two.  Jeudy was highly coachable and took something like .15 off his 40 time. Not sure if they should draft him bc I haven’t followed any prospects this year(enjoying the break from obsessive reading), but I was impressed.  

Jeudy is a top 5 player in the draft IMO. Best route runner I've seen come out of college recently. He ran mid 4.4s which is great too. I'd love to have him at 13 if we don't go QB.

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Kinlaw will probably slip to Jags at 20 

He's probably not going past 17 for the Cowboys. I've been listening to their draft podcast and they are hoping against hope he slips to them(usually I take what podcasts say with a grain of salt, but in the past they've had great insight into what their front office is thinking - they got the LVE pick right, they got Tristan Hill pick right and multiple others. They seem to have some internal knowledge about what their FO likes and targets.)

8 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Yeah, my opinion about this draft, and probably any future draft, is that I want  known high-floor player with upside potential, not a currently risky-floor player with all-pro upside.  We've had too many Hooker's, Wilson's, TJ Green's, even going back to Werner, TRich, and Dorsett that resulted in putting good money after bad.

This team has such an average-to-bad starting roster that getting an immediate upgrade to nearly ANY starting position also upgrades the team materially.  WR or OT could be that BPA high floor starter, and those positions are close to being a top need anyway, especially looking a year or two ahead.  Still, DT is the top need, but I wouldn't want to risk the capital on a potential lingering problem.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good catch.   Kinlaw’s tendinitis may have contributed to his weight gain. 

Hopefully,  he loses 10-12 pounds before his pro day.  That would be helpful.  

I’d hate it if he slips to us and we have to pass because the team docs flunk him on his medicals...

Any knee problem at all on a projected 1st rounder concerns me.

On 2/27/2020 at 11:25 AM, DougDew said:

I * Lamb.  He screams football player

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Marsha Marsha Marsha......

Anybody else turned on by Cindy’s lisp?

j/k, but Marsha........ lord , the ideas I had about her as a pre-pubescent child.   Before the football incident anyway.  Those groovy ‘70s thigh-lengthed dresses.  Oh boy, i’m having flash backs.

As an ironic side note, Davy Jones settled down in a town near me, here in Pa.

If Kinlaw's problem was THAT bad it didn't seem to slow him down much.  I think much of it is just precautionary and him wanting to be 100% for his pro day.  More and more prospects, particularly near the top of the heap, are doing this because it's sort of redundant when they all have pro days.  I hope it deters other teams because I'd take him.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 10:35 AM, DougDew said:

Pass.  We have other needs and I want a sure thing starter or future QB at 13, not a potential lingering problem. 

Maybe we make a stronger play for some of the FA in a few weeks.

Execs say medicals r the most important aspect of the combine.  If that is true and also with his medical concerns at the Senior Bowl; hard pass.

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

If Kinlaw's problem was THAT bad it didn't seem to slow him down much.  I think much of it is just precautionary and him wanting to be 100% for his pro day.  More and more prospects, particularly near the top of the heap, are doing this because it's sort of redundant when they all have pro days.  I hope it deters other teams because I'd take him.

It's likely not a big issue now, but will it become a reason to frequently miss games three years from now.   Pick 13 needs to be a player that is regularly available and can be so into his next contract, IMO.

Well.........I wouldn't be too mad about it.  Maybe he will drop and I'd be OK with that.  He obviously had the problem while playing at some point and it obviously didn't deter him.  Rest should help.  Not a HUGE fan of Love at 13 still, but if they can still get a player like Kinlaw that would certainly make it easier for me to stomach.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

It's likely not a big issue now, but will it become a reason to frequently miss games three years from now.   Pick 13 needs to be a player that is regularly available and can be so into his next contract, IMO.

COULD be.  Of course many of these guys are dealing with nicks and such.  So long as it isn't anything major it shouldn't be anything that a little off-season rest and rehab can't cure.  BTW, he managed to play all 12 games last season.  Of course if it turns out to be major then sure stay away.