Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Regarding If Colts Have to Trade Up for QB

With the Senior Bowl practices underway it feels like draft season is kicking off. It's only taken one day to further fuel speculation that the Colts may need to trade up to get Herbert or Love. So I ask two questions: Who do we trade up to? and What do we have to give up? 

The problem is that you have the Dolphins at 5, Chargers at 6, Panthers at 7, and Raiders at 12 all as very potential candidates to take a QB. Obviously free agency may help thin the herd, but from the early look of things, even trading up to No. 8 with the Cards doesn't even seem safe. So then who do we go up with? The Lions? The Giants? The price gets a lot steeper the further you go up. So what are you as fans willing to give up? 

As a fan, I'm currently in the camp of not moving up for either, but if the team loves one, then do what you have to do.

1 hour ago, funktacious2 said:

With the Senior Bowl practices underway it feels like draft season is kicking off. It's only taken one day to further fuel speculation that the Colts may need to trade up to get Herbert or Love. So I ask two questions: Who do we trade up to? and What do we have to give up? 

The problem is that you have the Dolphins at 5, Chargers at 6, Panthers at 7, and Raiders at 12 all as very potential candidates to take a QB. Obviously free agency may help thin the herd, but from the early look of things, even trading up to No. 8 with the Cards doesn't even seem safe. So then who do we go up with? The Lions? The Giants? The price gets a lot steeper the further you go up. So what are you as fans willing to give up? 

As a fan, I'm currently in the camp of not moving up for either, but if the team loves one, then do what you have to do.

not sure what you been reading but in this draft there are a good number of Qb's that look just as good as Herbert and love and there not even top tier names so we may not even have to trade up.

59 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

not sure what you been reading but in this draft there are a good number of Qb's that look just as good as Herbert and love and there not even top tier names so we may not even have to trade up.

Never said I specifically had to have one of those two. I'm team Kinlaw for now. But more importantly, I'm not the one drafting. This thread is about IF Ballard and Reich want one of these guys, but had to trade up to get them, what would be the cost, who would be the trade partner, and for fans who want one of those two, what would they be okay with.

we might have to trade up, we wont be picking in the top 3 next year or any time soon. we have to take a chance on someone who is not a top tier prospect, might as well do it now it could take time to develop them.

its not anyone but jacoby either, any of the first round prospects this year could be good if they go to the right place

Giants at No.4 - it will take current 1st and future 1st to get it done. 

Tarik Glenn retired, Bill Polian gave up a future 1st to get Ugoh. Granted, we were used to picking in the late 20s then but for the QB position, that is what it will take.

Herbert will go top 8.  Its a matter if Love will go top 10.  Then we also need to look at Eason, where for some reason he seems to be written off already.

I'd take Kinlaw at 13 (probably wont be available then, Jeudy and Lamb are overrated, IMO) then maybe trade up to the bottom of the 1st to take Eason if he looks good.  Get the 5th year option for more development time as a junior.

7 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Kinlaw would do wonders for this defense

If Love is proven to be a better get, and is still available you go that route

I could support either but

I LiKE Love

I LOVE Kinlaw

for that spot

I am in the same boat. At that point, I leave it up to Ballard and their folks' QB evaluation.

I really don't care if the fans on here get upset with whoever is picked. I just want the Colts' QB situation to be much improved and lead us to wins and possibly a bye week at some point in time in the next 3 years. 2007 is the last time this franchise had a bye week in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GoColtsGo5150 said:

My ideal (trade up) scenario:

Kinlaw at 13

A QB (Love or Herbert) starts to fall into the 20's

We trade 34+ and a 2nd next year (similar to the Redskins trade with us last year) back into the 1st

Select said QB

I proposed that in my first offseason mock here:

• Like 1

My ideal (trade up) scenario:

Kinlaw at 13

A QB (Love or Herbert) starts to fall into the 20's

We trade 34+ and a 2nd next year (similar to the Redskins trade with us last year) back into the 1st

Select said QB

That would be excellent but there are way too many teams needing a QB

22 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

That would be excellent but there are way too many teams needing a QB

True, but in my dream scenario:
Bengals go Burrow

Dolphins get Tua

Chargers sign Brady (I've seen a couple of people rumour that)

Panthers trade for someone like Jameis (the Bucs apparently have interest in Rivers)

and the Raiders take someone like Jalen Hurts later on

It's a lot of mental gymnastics I know, but let me dream!

For Herbert we will probably need to trade up to 5 because the Chargers at 6 are very likely to take him.

For Love IMO we have to trade up to 8 with Arizona(or maybe the league doesn't like him as much as I do, in which case you don't need to trade up for him)

For Tua - 3 with Detroit

For Burrow - not gonna happen but you have to trade up to 1 for him.

About what I would be willing to give up for each:

-Burrow - a lot...multiple 1sts + 2nds

-Tua - no idea how to treat him because of his injury, if I have guarantee he will be healthy probably 1st

-Herbert and Love - 2nd + future 3d?

That's about it.

True, but in my dream scenario:
Bengals go Burrow

Dolphins get Tua

Chargers sign Brady (I've seen a couple of people rumour that)

Panthers trade for someone like Jameis (the Bucs apparently have interest in Rivers)

and the Raiders take someone like Jalen Hurts later on

It's a lot of mental gymnastics I know, but let me dream!

The first two picks are right on

I would think these two have much better than 80% chance of happening

The bring Brady to LAC seems far fetched giving up a 38 year old for a 43 year old (at season start) and doesn’t seem logical

I see LAC taking Herbert as the logical move.   Also IMHO an 80% certainty

They MIGHT also get Brady and have him mentor Herbert

The Carolina pick could go several ways

The next QB would be Love (it appears)

I feel 60% that it will be Love

You can bet ALL of the QB needy teams will have a close eye on the prospects

There are two things I am confident on

We WILL see some trading 

We WILL see some overdrafted QBs

• Like 1

this draft reminds me of the 2015 QB class. It really does. and its bordering on the line of the 2013 draft class of QBs. Outside of Burrow, the rest of the QBs are getting more hype than anything else. There is really no QB outside of Burrow worth trading up for. If one falls to us, I think Love is the most likely too, then I'm cool with taking one at 13. But trading up and betting the house on questionable QB prospects rarely works. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

this draft reminds me of the 2015 QB class. It really does. and its bordering on the line of the 2013 draft class of QBs. Outside of Burrow, the rest of the QBs are getting more hype than anything else. There is really no QB outside of Burrow worth trading up for. If one falls to us, I think Love is the most likely too, then I'm cool with taking one at 13. But trading up and betting the house on questionable QB prospects rarely works. 

That depends upon how you define a "questionable QB prospect".  Almost all prospects have some questions that are asked about them.  

My first choice would be to trade with the Raiders and get Carr so they would have another pick to help them move up and get Tua or Herbert.  Assuming they want one of them of course.  Second choice would be to trade our 13th and 44th and our 5th rd pick to Chargers at 6 and get Herbert or Love.  I see the Chargers signing Brady.   As a wild card I could see Ballard signing Taysom Hill as a restricted FA or Bridgewater to battle it out with JB to be the starter.  I don't think the Saints can afford to sign and keep all three QB's:  Brees, Bridgewater and Hill.  Then we keep all of our picks.

This is my opinion on the situation. Still need to see how free agency plays out. does Brady possibly sign with raiders or chargers. Does Bridgewater leave as well.

How things are now, I think lions and giants wont want to trade back to far so do chargers leap frog Miami. Or unless raiders somehow give up a lot to move up. I don't think Panthers go Qb this year. Rhule has 7 year contract and has talked about building the defense. Kinlaw says they love him. Simmons can be in play as well. I secretly think they will be a team that will be in the running for Lawerence next year.

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

That depends upon how you define a "questionable QB prospect".  Almost all prospects have some questions that are asked about them.  

This is true. And I am far from an expert. But I do see a relationship in the QBs and they are being talked about. It’s eerily similar to 2015 and very close to 2013

12 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

The first two picks are right on

I would think these two have much better than 80% chance of happening

The bring Brady to LAC seems far fetched giving up a 38 year old for a 43 year old (at season start) and doesn’t seem logical

I see LAC taking Herbert as the logical move.   Also IMHO an 80% certainty

They MIGHT also get Brady and have him mentor Herbert

The Carolina pick could go several ways

The next QB would be Love (it appears)

I feel 60% that it will be Love

You can bet ALL of the QB needy teams will have a close eye on the prospects

There are two things I am confident on

We WILL see some trading 

We WILL see some overdrafted QBs

With the odds you gave, I'd say you are confident in more than two things..... And you should be finding somewhere to lay some serious cash on that parlay..... Cause it would have to pay mighty well...

14 hours ago, DougDew said:

Herbert will go top 8.  Its a matter if Love will go top 10.  Then we also need to look at Eason, where for some reason he seems to be written off already.

I'd take Kinlaw at 13 (probably wont be available then, Jeudy and Lamb are overrated, IMO) then maybe trade up to the bottom of the 1st to take Eason if he looks good.  Get the 5th year option for more development time as a junior.

Eason should go in the second  no need to trade up for him

48 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

With the odds you gave, I'd say you are confident in more than two things..... And you should be finding somewhere to lay some serious cash on that parlay..... Cause it would have to pay mighty well...

There is a 25% chance Of my options happening and there is a 50% chance of that