Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What to do this offseason ?

joeb

54 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yes, we save the 8M (game checks and misc), but we are already on the hook for about half of his total 2020 compensation. 

My point is, he's already guaranteed ~7M, so cutting him, and "resigning him to a team friendly deal" (earlier suggestion that I was replying too) wouldn't make any sense.

If we cut him, it won't really be about savings (given our cap situation) unless Ballard decides to go big in FA and needs cash.

I think what we are both saying is about the same. he has a cap hit in place with part of his signing bonus of about $21.5 M if we keep him.  If we cut him or trade him prior to new start of NFL year we still have a cap hit of around $12.5. Is that correct? If so we have a big cap hit but is $9M less if we get rid of him in time, correct?

2 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

I think what we are both saying is about the same. he has a cap hit in place with part of his signing bonus of about $21.5 M if we keep him.  If we cut him or trade him prior to new start of NFL year we still have a cap hit of around $12.5. Is that correct? If so we have a big cap hit but is $9M less if we get rid of him in time, correct?

Here's the math assuming OtC is correct.

Total 2 year contract : 30.7M

Paid for 2019: 14.9M

Already guaranteed for 2020: 7M

Potential savings if cut: 8.8M

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

At the very least, release Brian Hoyer and sign Andy Dalton. Then you have room to maneuver with trading Brissett and drafting a new QB. Everything else can be dealt with with a mixture of FA and the draft.

Honestly, please share what you think Dalton is going to cost the next team he plays for. Not what a good deal would be for the Colts, but what he is going to command on the open market. 

13 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't think that matters too much. Flacco was traded to the Broncos for a 4th to start on a much worse contract. If he improved for that team, Brissett could be re-signed without giving up anything.

Again, I am interested in your thoughts on the cost of Dalton right now.

17 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Honestly, please share what you think Dalton is going to cost the next team he plays for. Not what a good deal would be for the Colts, but what he is going to command on the open market. 

Again, I am interested in your thoughts on the cost of Dalton right now.

I would say $15 million a year. Teams aren't too high on him. He had a losing season in Cinci this year, but that was due to a poor offensive line, semi-poor run game and AJ Green was out all year. When the first two finally improved, he put it together at the end of the season.

I think he would be an above average QB for a year or two while we groom a young QB with our elite o-line, solid run game, and receivers coming off injuries.

13 hours ago, Rally5 said:

At this moment, I sequence it like this:

1. Check on Andrew.

2. Re-Sign AC!

3. Get a vet or two on D, Maybe Suh or McCoy on one or two year deals. I think we need a big physical DT.  Maybe the guy from Houston but a DT in FA for sure!

4. I'd make a run at re-signing Funchess.

5. In the draft I'd go OT or WR with the first pick.

6. Top of the second I'd hope Fromm was still available, if so, I'd get em.

7. If QB doesn't work out in the draft I'd sniff around Miami for Rosen and Cincy for Dalton.

8. If that fails, or even if it succeeds, I prepare for a full competition between Kelly and Brissett et al for QB1 in 2020.

9. I might with the last pick draft Rodrigo Blankenship.

10. I would look real hard at signing Tyler Eifert if he's healthy.

Those are my incomplete thoughts! :)

Do you guys really think that Luck could get out of retirement ? 

10 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Get a QB

Get a RB

then focus on the defense

Get a QB

Improve Pass D (with a pass rushing DT)

Then win consistently... 

PS... Will be posting a thread a bit later comparing the Colts season (unit ranks) with SB participants since 2000. It shows we are more than fine in Rush O and Rush D. QB/Pass O is the biggest delta by far, followed by pass D (which needs improvement, but is not a horrible outlier).

2 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

This is an annual wish my friend 

It seems like I hit on this every year, but the Colts consistently get beat up, year in and year out. This goes as far back to the Manning years.  It’s not an exaggeration, it’s a fact. 

• Like 2

On 1/5/2020 at 9:52 AM, joeb said:

We have almost 100 mil. to play with. Need a QB and possibly a left tackle. A kicker is needed or is Mclaughlin the answer ?   Need receivers , badly. The D line needs major upgrade. Secondary needs help. Lots of changes ahead. I am excited to see what we do. Ballard has a lot of work to do.

Mclaughlin was actually pretty good.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

For everyone on here that I saw this year saying Leonard wasn't playing like an all pro he made the all pro team again so did Nelson.

He wasn't for the first 6 games or so of the season... seemed to have limited hip mobility and out of place a lot... but he turned into an animal the second half of the season for sure! 

21 hours ago, Edo said:

Do you guys really think that Luck could get out of retirement ? 

Personally I find it hard to believe a guy that young and competitive can hang it up that soon without a lifetime of regret.  So, I'll say yes, I think at some point he'll want to come back.  I could be wrong.

12 hours ago, Rally5 said:

Personally I find it hard to believe a guy that young and competitive can hang it up that soon without a lifetime of regret.  So, I'll say yes, I think at some point he'll want to come back.  I could be wrong.

Warm beaches and intoxicants can ease a lot of regret, I hear.

I’ve seen several “trade Brissett” comments. My question is who would trade for a 15 million dollar backup? 

Not Trying to be a wise guy (at least not this time), but seriously wonder what team would have any desire to make that deal?

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 12:18 AM, Colts1324 said:

He wasn't for the first 6 games or so of the season... seemed to have limited hip mobility and out of place a lot... but he turned into an animal the second half of the season for sure! 

Well keep in mind the first six weeks 3 of them he missed with a concussion then it took and extra week to get back to his normal self once he was back.

had he played like he did the last couple months of the season the whole year he might of been DPOY.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 12:54 PM, EastStreet said:

Over the off season....... 

Priorities....

1). Lose 10 lbs..

2) Spend at least 2 weeks in SW Florida or the Caribbean with friends and family

3) Sleep more than 5 hours a night and remember to say my bed time prayers

4) Volunteer more

5) Cook less Italian food. When tempted to make Fet Alfredo, remember #1

1) lose 8 lbs

2) Drink less alcohol 

3) Be more tolerant

4) Inspire more by setting a good example

5) Eat less crunchy food like chips....

...........naaa.....screw that. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Well keep in mind the first six weeks 3 of them he missed with a concussion then it took and extra week to get back to his normal self once he was back.

had he played like he did the last couple months of the season the whole year he might of been DPOY.

Very true. We Colts' fans are lucky to have him!