Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What to do this offseason ?

joeb

We have almost 100 mil. to play with. Need a QB and possibly a left tackle. A kicker is needed or is Mclaughlin the answer ?   Need receivers , badly. The D line needs major upgrade. Secondary needs help. Lots of changes ahead. I am excited to see what we do. Ballard has a lot of work to do.

• Like 1

I really think AC comes back.  To me it sounded like he was saying if he wasn't going to play for the Colts, he would think about retiring.  Reich and Ballard have made it known how much they want him to come back.  QB should come in the draft, if no one is there that they like they could potentially just work on building the roster around whatever future QB they find while letting JB (or CK for the fan club) take us through 2020.  I think McLaughlin has done nothing to lose the job and I sure don't see AV coming back.  D-Line is a definite need, one that Ballard has specifically mentioned.  Could go FA with Chris Jones if he gets out of KC (in which case go ahead and pay the premium and get a horseshoe on his helmet) or Armstead (less excited, but still an upgrade).  Could also go draft with Kinlaw in the first or a couple others like Gallimore/Davis on day 2.  Could definitely use some secondary depth as well.

I completely agree with you, this offseason should be fun!  Especially all the FIRE BALLARD threads during the draft, lol!

I think Luck's retirement is causing AC to think about his retirement.  If he was our QB I have no doubt he would resign.  But he has now seen JB for a year and now I think he is not sure.  I wouldn't be surprised if he waiting to see if Ballard makes a move.  At his age would he want to stick around to see if a rookie QB can develop?  Not sure.  A new veteran upgrade at QB might get him excited again.  He only has so many years left to win a SB.  If he is financially secure why risk injury when the prize appears to be a few years away?  I think our QB situation could have an impact on signing other FAs as well.  Big offseason for sure.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

At the very least, release Brian Hoyer and sign Andy Dalton. Then you have room to maneuver with trading Brissett and drafting a new QB. Everything else can be dealt with with a mixture of FA and the draft.

How tradeable is Brissett?  

Maybe not this exact scenario, but I'm all for something like this.  Why waste another season?  

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'd say we could get a 4th rounder for him, which isn't bad with Ballard as our GM making picks.

It's the contract though.  I can't see anyone going after him as a starter.  You would be trading a 4th for a backup on a costly one year deal.

That said, however we have to do it, I'm all for moving on.

• Like 2

Signing free agents will be hard for Ballard because of the the lack of a QB.  Play makers will not want to sign with JB at QB.  It will be a build through the draft year again for Ballard.  He will be forced to stay the course. 

• Like 2

Just now, #12. said:

It's the contract though.  I can't see anyone going after him as a starter.  You would be trading a 4th for a backup on a costly one year deal.

I don't think that matters too much. Flacco was traded to the Broncos for a 4th to start on a much worse contract. If he improved for that team, Brissett could be re-signed without giving up anything.

It starts with finding out what AC is going to do.  If he retires left tackle just became their biggest need.  

From there they need to look at the following positions IMO

DT, end, safety, tightend, WR, QB, kicker, corner, and maybe guard.

Those are in no particular order.  In the case of corner and tightend they are looking for depth.  Guard would be nice to upgrade Glow but that is not a must.  It would be a right time right guy type of situation.  Plus they could use some depth on the oline in general.  

Safety they need some high depth.  A guy like Willis was this year that could start but doesn’t need to be a starter right away.  

Kicker I think you will see a camp battle if nothing else.  

WR needs a couple of bodies.  One might very well be a do over on Funch’s contract.  Unless they take a guy at 13 which would mean Lamb or Juedy slipped IMO I don’t think another high pick is the way to go here.  I’d look to free agency for another proven guy while Campbell develops.

End they could be a sleeper pick at 13 as Houston isn’t getting any younger and is only a two year deal plus Turey is coming off a major injury.  Banogu showed flashes at time this year but that’s it.  Also they have to decide what they are going to do with Shread in free agency.  If he leaves they need to find a run stopping end.  

DT is major need.  Unless AC hangs it up I expect the Colts to go DT or end at 13.  They could also go DT at 34 if they don’t get one at 13.  I am not sure what the free agent market looks like at DT.  

QB is the most speculated about position.  I think the Colts will draft someone in rounds 2-4 at QB rather than sign a free agent and I think JB will be the starter until the new kid is ready.  I know that’s not what people want to hear but I think that’s what they will do.

From there I’d make a change at the special teams coaching position and make a change at the injury personal.  I read from “injury expert” (local media guy whose name I am spacing but covers medical issues in all of  sports that the Colts have used the same organization since they moved here.  I’d make a change there.

Sign (preferably) Tom Brady or (second choice) Eli Manning to a one year deal. The Colts could steal a Superbowl with either of them with the team we have in place. Can you imagine how good either of them could be behind our offensive line??? Our defense will be better and more mature next year. The team is primed to win but we have no QB. Next, draft the best QB available in the draft. 

see if luck wants to stay retired one last time lol

resign constanzo

check qb market Cam , Carr etc.... if that fails sign vet like rivers etc... draft rookie let him sit a year 

look for help with interior pass

look for proven Wr and a corner 

5 hours ago, joeb said:

We have almost 100 mil. to play with. Need a QB and possibly a left tackle. A kicker is needed or is Mclaughlin the answer ?   Need receivers , badly. The D line needs major upgrade. Secondary needs help. Lots of changes ahead. I am excited to see what we do. Ballard has a lot of work to do.

From what I've understood from Ballard's conference (I'm french thus I might understood wrong), he relies on draft, not FA in order to change the roster. He probably spotted our flaws and spotted some FA for next year but for the most part it will be at the draft. 

We have a young roster, we have to give them time. 
I just hope we won't tank next year to get Lawrence. 

Over the off season....... 

Priorities....

1). Lose 10 lbs..

2) Spend at least 2 weeks in SW Florida or the Caribbean with friends and family

3) Sleep more than 5 hours a night and remember to say my bed time prayers

4) Volunteer more

5) Cook less Italian food. When tempted to make Fet Alfredo, remember #1

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlanNC said:

Signing free agents will be hard for Ballard because of the the lack of a QB.  Play makers will not want to sign with JB at QB.  It will be a build through the draft year again for Ballard.  He will be forced to stay the course. 

Could be a good year for defense FA, based on how Ballard has mad it well known how he wants to build a top 5 defense. Plus they know he doesnt shy away from rewarding  performance. Could be very interesting 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Brissett won't b traded.  If the Colts get their guy in the draft,  I could see the Colts cutting Brissett and then resigning him to a team friendly deal. 

JB's 2020 guarantees already went into effect last Sept IIRC, so really no advantage to cutting and re-signing. 

• Thanks 1

First and foremost, we need to re-sign AC. That should be priority. Then we need a big body to go with Stewart for run downs. I like Brockers from the Rams. Rams are gonna be in cap hell and won't be able to re-sign. Others have mentioned Chris Jones, but I can't see the chiefs letting him go. As far as more weapons go, we have two picks in the top 34 we can use that to booster our offense rather thats a QB and/or WR

23 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

JB's 2020 guarantees already went into effect last Sept IIRC, so really no advantage to cutting and re-signing. 

U sure?  I thought the 2nd year was basically a team option and if they cut him his contract would not be a detriment to the Colts

22 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U sure?  I thought the 2nd year was basically a team option and if they cut him his contract would not be a detriment to the Colts

yup.

I just pulled "over the cap" details below.

Jacoby Brissett signed a one year extension with the Indianapolis Colts on Sept 3, 2019.  The contract is worth $30 million in total paper value, and $27,975,000 in new money.  Brissett received a $11 million signing bonus and guaranteed $2 million base salary in 2019.  Brissett can earn up to $2 million ($146,000 per game active) in roster bonuses.  However this amount is treated as a signing bonus since the contract was signed during the preseason, the $2 million will be pro-rated over two years.  On the 3rd day of the 2020 league year Brissett will earn a $7 million roster bonus, which became guaranteed on September 6, 2019.  Brissett can also earn another $2 million ($146,00 per game active) in roster bonuses.

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Then my question why did the Colts extend him and not just keep him on his original contract??

IMO, it was a Colts friendly deal regardless. The money was not an issue. Had JB had a great year, we would be dealing with a FA situation at the end of 2019 and might have to over pay even if we were still unsure. He didn't have a great year, but we still have him locked up in the case we can't get who we want in the draft or via FA. From JB's perspective (he negotiated his own contract), he got guaranteed enough cash to set himself up for life, and also still got a chance at being the guy and perhaps another renegotiation in 2020 to increase his $ and duration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let's face it guys, when Luck retired last August it put this team and franchise in a huge hole. What made Luck so special is his precession accuracy, getting the ball down the field before receivers break on their routes, his placing of the ball so only his receivers can catch it, throwing on the run, his mobility, and his scanning of the field. These are things Jacoby is not even close to achieving. The touchdown pass Luck threw to Ebron against the Redskins in 2018 was so on the money. Ebron hadn't turned around yet when Luck released that ball. Anyway here are my offseason priorities for this team. 

1. Resign AC - (No matter how much it costs pay the man! Very important player) 

2. Quarterback (Free agency, trade, or draft it needs to be addressed!) 

3. Sign Amari Cooper, if Coopers stays in Dallas, sign Nelson Alghalor (Had his best seasons with Reich in Philly). Sign Austin Hooper, sign Yannick Ngakoue. Go after Chris Jones if the Chiefs don't tag him. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

Let's face it guys, when Luck retired last August it put this team and franchise in a huge hole. What made Luck so special is his precession accuracy, getting the ball down the field before receivers break on their routes, his placing of the ball so only his receivers can catch it, throwing on the run, his mobility, and his scanning of the field. These are things Jacoby is not even close to achieving. The touchdown pass Luck threw to Ebron against the Redskins in 2018 was so on the money. Ebron hadn't turned around yet when Luck released that ball. Anyway here are my offseason priorities for this team. 

1. Resign AC - (No matter how much it costs pay the man! Very important player) 

2. Quarterback (Free agency, trade, or draft it needs to be addressed!) 

3. Sign Amari Cooper, if Coopers stays in Dallas, sign Nelson Alghalor (Had his best seasons with Reich in Philly). Sign Austin Hooper, sign Yannick Ngakoue. Go after Chris Jones if the Chiefs don't tag him. 

Agree with # 1.  I think we need a qb but I don't want us reaching.  Cooper won't be available plus I am not a big fan.  He is either all in or he disappears in games.  Our biggest need is DT.  I would like 2 with our 1st 3 picks or one in the draft and another in free agency.  I am kind of in the Fromm corner.  

8 hours ago, joeb said:

At this moment, I sequence it like this:

1. Check on Andrew.

2. Re-Sign AC!

3. Get a vet or two on D, Maybe Suh or McCoy on one or two year deals. I think we need a big physical DT.  Maybe the guy from Houston but a DT in FA for sure!

4. I'd make a run at re-signing Funchess.

5. In the draft I'd go OT or WR with the first pick.

6. Top of the second I'd hope Fromm was still available, if so, I'd get em.

7. If QB doesn't work out in the draft I'd sniff around Miami for Rosen and Cincy for Dalton.

8. If that fails, or even if it succeeds, I prepare for a full competition between Kelly and Brissett et al for QB1 in 2020.

9. I might with the last pick draft Rodrigo Blankenship.

10. I would look real hard at signing Tyler Eifert if he's healthy.

Those are my incomplete thoughts! :)

First Off..... the year WAS disappointing

But...... we are really only 3-4 players away from being back in the playoff hunt

1) As mentioned.... back the money truck up and pay AC

This is a BIG hole

2) Draft the Best DL, WR, OT and TE that you can get..... 

3) Get 2 or 3 FAs that ALSO play these 4 spots

4) Fix the QB spot, even with a temporary patch

- I would be happy with:

CUT HOYER, he doesnt deserve a roster spot

a) Foles, Bridgewater, Fill in the blank, while we draft a later QB that needs time to develop...... allow them to compete with CK and JB

b) Let JB, CB, and 3th or 4th round QB compete........  

c) Trade for Carr, and call it good for 5-6 years, and be in the playoffs.... next year

The sky isnt falling.

We will be ok

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

First Off..... the year WAS disappointing

But...... we are really only 3-4 players away from being back in the playoff hunt

1) As mentioned.... back the money truck up and pay AC

This is a BIG hole

2) Draft the Best DL, WR, OT and TE that you can get..... 

3) Get 2 or 3 FAs that ALSO play these 4 spots

4) Fix the QB spot, even with a temporary patch

- I would be happy with:

CUT HOYER, he doesnt deserve a roster spot

a) Foles, Bridgewater, Fill in the blank, while we draft a later QB that needs time to develop...... allow them to compete with CK and JB

b) Let JB, CB, and 3th or 4th round QB compete........  

c) Trade for Carr, and call it good for 5-6 years, and be in the playoffs.... next year

The sky isnt falling.

We will be ok

Sign me up for "c".

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

I can't lie watching all these teams with solid interior Dline play makes me jealous.

Hey...... We are only 4 DL people away from having a dominating line......

:woah:

Actually, with the development of Turay, we would actually jump up a great deal if we fixed the 3T spot on the DL, and had someone that could penetrate

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

Hey...... We are only 4 DL people away from having a dominating line......

:woah:

Actually, with the development of Turay, we would actually jump up a great deal if we fixed the 3T spot on the DL, and had someone that could penetrate

That 3T for us has been a pain for us for a long time. Let's hope maybe we can figure something out.

50 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

At this moment, I sequence it like this:

1. Check on Andrew.

2. Re-Sign AC!

3. Get a vet or two on D, Maybe Suh or McCoy on one or two year deals. I think we need a big physical DT.  Maybe the guy from Houston but a DT in FA for sure!

4. I'd make a run at re-signing Funchess.

5. In the draft I'd go OT or WR with the first pick.

6. Top of the second I'd hope Fromm was still available, if so, I'd get em.

7. If QB doesn't work out in the draft I'd sniff around Miami for Rosen and Cincy for Dalton.

8. If that fails, or even if it succeeds, I prepare for a full competition between Kelly and Brissett et al for QB1 in 2020.

9. I might with the last pick draft Rodrigo Blankenship.

10. I would look real hard at signing Tyler Eifert if he's healthy.

Those are my incomplete thoughts! :)

I like your ideas.   I would say that Andrew is probably done, though.  Getting Dalton or Rosen wouldn't be a bad move if the draft doesn't allow for us to get a good QB or if we have the chance to take an LT (if AC retires) or a good WR if one is there.  I also agree that we'll have to be more active in Free Agency as we have a lot of needs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

yup.

I just pulled "over the cap" details below.

Jacoby Brissett signed a one year extension with the Indianapolis Colts on Sept 3, 2019.  The contract is worth $30 million in total paper value, and $27,975,000 in new money.  Brissett received a $11 million signing bonus and guaranteed $2 million base salary in 2019.  Brissett can earn up to $2 million ($146,000 per game active) in roster bonuses.  However this amount is treated as a signing bonus since the contract was signed during the preseason, the $2 million will be pro-rated over two years.  On the 3rd day of the 2020 league year Brissett will earn a $7 million roster bonus, which became guaranteed on September 6, 2019.  Brissett can also earn another $2 million ($146,00 per game active) in roster bonuses.

Easy, I have read contradicting info. Just read on Bleacher Report the other day that if they cut him prior to the new league year they would save $8.875M. Heard prior we would save around $9M all do to roster bonus. Not disputing you but why  would they guarantee a roster bonus 5 months prior to the new year? Is that common and if so why do they call it roster bonus?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, #12. said:

That said, however we have to do it, I'm all for moving on.

Trade him for a 4th and send him with a bag of $$$ to whoever is crazy enough to trade for him.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

Easy, I have read contradicting info. Just read on Bleacher Report the other day that if they cut him prior to the new league year they would save $8.875M. Heard prior we would save around $9M all do to roster bonus. Not disputing you but why  would they guarantee a roster bonus 5 months prior to the new year? Is that common and if so why do they call it roster bonus?

Yes, we save the 8M (game checks and misc), but we are already on the hook for about half of his total 2020 compensation. 

My point is, he's already guaranteed ~7M, so cutting him, and "resigning him to a team friendly deal" (earlier suggestion that I was replying too) wouldn't make any sense.

If we cut him, it won't really be about savings (given our cap situation) unless Ballard decides to go big in FA and needs cash.