Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What If We Shock The World And Take Rg3?!

bWild

Let's be real; Grigson loves athletic players (Vick, Young, Jackson, etc.) and with the success of Cam Newton, it isn't out of the realm of possibility. RG3 won the Heisman, he's got a great attitude and work ethic, plus players rally around him in a pinch. I'm not saying that I don't think the same of Andrew Luck, but it's a new era of Colts football and a pocket passer might not be our direction. Think about it; a stout defense (which is in the building process), and an electrifying QB that could create a big play at any given moment= success at any level.

Our defense won't be cured over night, but it all begins with the players attitudes and the coach and his scheme that lead them to whatever success they have. Pagano is a players coach with a great & creative defensive mind. Don't think this will be Manusky's defense. It's Pagano's, and he'll have the reigns. I forsee big things from this unit next season.

Offensively, our philosophy would lean on the run more often and I think Donald Brown will have breakout season regardless of which QB we draft. If RG3 were in that mix it would increase our running potency tenfold. Not to mention our down-field potential in the passing game would benefit from it too. I'm not saying that this will happen, but what if?

Thoughts?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's be real; Grigson loves athletic players (Vick, Young, Jackson, etc.) and with the success of Cam Newton, it isn't out of the realm of possibility. RG3 won the Heisman, he's got a great attitude and work ethic, plus players rally around him in a pinch. I'm not saying that I don't think the same of Andrew Luck, but it's a new era of Colts football and a pocket passer might not be our direction. Think about it; a stout defense (which is in the building process), and an electrifying QB that could create a big play at any given moment= success at any level.

Our defense won't be cured over night, but it all begins with the players attitudes and the coach and his scheme that lead them to whatever success they have. Pagano is a players coach with a great & creative defensive mind. Don't think this will be Manusky's defense. It's Pagano's, and he'll have the reigns. I forsee big things from this unit next season.

Offensively, our philosophy would lean on the run more often and I think Donald Brown will have breakout season regardless of which QB we draft. If RG3 were in that mix it would increase our running potency tenfold. Not to mention our down-field potential in the passing game would benefit from it too. I'm not saying that this will happen, but what if?

Thoughts?

That's the spirit, WYLD MAN....

Think outside the box.

I like it.

Wont happen....unless Irsay is kidnapped

But I like the thinking..

Lets put it this way, in 1998, Manning was the favorite like Luck, but Leaf made a late comeback in the press, like RG3 and Leaf also won the Heisman.... We do the right thing by taking the more true quarterback, dont get caught up in the RG3 hype, and the organization will not for sure

Just so you know. Andrew luck is right there with cam on athletic wise. Can dig up the links if others haven't read the same. So no, don't see it happening at all. Like manning, luck has been prepped for this since childhood. Rg3 had one breakout year. Pass

Thoughts?

I think the following will happen:

1) The Redskins will be tripping over themselves getting Andrew Luck in as their #2 pick as soon as possible.

2) The Colts sign Tim Tebow as back up QB for RG3 to continue the running philosophy you think they are implementing.

3) All the Luck-haters will not know what to do with their "Who Needs Luck When We Have Manning" T-shirts.

My only issues with RG3 is that I am worried that instead of moving within the pocket with subtle moves and still making throws while inside the pocket, he might have a tendency to go outside the pocket a tad too soon because that is instinctive to him and once you go outside the pocket, the rules are slightly different for hits on QBs, aren't they?

Read this:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1620788/robert-griffin-iii

Things that worried me below:

1. Operated out of a shotgun spread offense with various zone and option schemes at Baylor, but hardly a complicated playbook. doesnt have experience taking snaps from under center

2. Holds the ball too long and needs to improve his pocket awareness, abandoning his reads too easily. Streaky internal clock and looks to get outside of the pocket too soon.

I remember in 1999 I was working the day of the draft and was driving home when the Colts were on the clock in the first round............."With the 3rd pick in the 1999 NFL Draft the Indianapolis Colts select"...............and I was saying Ricky Williams (the popular concensus pick) and literaly almost jerked my truck off the road when they said Edgerrin James!

Who the heck was Edgerrin James...............seriously.............but 12000 yards later we all know Edge!

Will it happen? Will the Colts do the unthinkable and draft RG3? I don't think so, but stranger things have happened.......................

Just so you know. Andrew luck is right there with cam on athletic wise. Can dig up the links if others haven't read the same. So no, don't see it happening at all. Like manning, luck has been prepped for this since childhood. Rg3 had one breakout year. Pass

Luck doesn't run a 4.3. Enough said. If you actually read my post, I don't think the senario likely.

Lets put it this way, in 1998, Manning was the favorite like Luck, but Leaf made a late comeback in the press, like RG3 and Leaf also won the Heisman.... We do the right thing by taking the more true quarterback, dont get caught up in the RG3 hype, and the organization will not for sure

Leaf didn't win the Heisman that year. Charles Woodson did. Nitpicking I know

1) The Redskins will be tripping over themselves getting Andrew Luck in as their #2 pick as soon as possible.

2) The Colts sign Tim Tebow as back up QB for RG3 to continue the running philosophy you think they are implementing.

3) All the Luck-haters will not know what to do with their "Who Needs Luck When We Have Manning" T-shirts.

What about the Luck-lovers? You're great for a smile, UndecidedFrog. Keep up the good work!

I really like RG3. When you hear him speak he has a certain eloquence to him. You can tell he's smart, and has a desire to be a great quarterback. Plus his athletic ability is freakish. I really like the guy, but Luck will be the better QB. I do feel bad though for Griffen because he's going to Washington. He'll probably bust there and then get a restart with a more competent team.

Luck doesn't run a 4.3. Enough said. If you actually read my post, I don't think the senario likely.

no, Luck ran a 4.4...which is PLENTY fast enough for a guy who is supposed to THROW the ball, not run with it. Luck also hasnt already blown out an knee, like RGIII has... "enough said"

I don't actually think this will happen, it's just a "what if?" scenario. But #3 is exactly what would happen.

I don't actually think this will happen, it's just a "what if?" scenario. But #3 is exactly what would happen.

Yeah, he was replying to your original what-if scenario, I think. He meant, what if we shock the world---I think this will happen.

I really like RG3. When you hear him speak he has a certain eloquence to him. You can tell he's smart, and has a desire to be a great quarterback. Plus his athletic ability is freakish. I really like the guy, but Luck will be the better QB. I do feel bad though for Griffen because he's going to Washington. He'll probably bust there and then get a restart with a more competent team.

I hope he does well and all and you're right about how he carries himself. I can certainly understand why Washington threw all their chips in after him.

What about the Luck-lovers? You're great for a smile, UndecidedFrog. Keep up the good work!

LOL, the Luck lovers will have to decide if they move onto become Redskins fans, like the Manning butt-kissers will have to decide if they move onto becoming Broncos/Titans/Cardinals/Dolphins fans.

4) All the Luck butt kissers that bought a Luck Jersey made in October will also will not know what to do with it.

Then we build our offense around RG3, it's simple. He's going to be a great QB in this league, and could be a fine fit with Indy. Luck is better, and I would be surprised if they pick RG3. He is accurate, quick and smart, but his arm strength isn't the best.

LOL, the Luck lovers will have to decide if they move onto become Redskins fans, like the Manning lovers will have to decide if they move onto becoming Broncos/Titans/Cardinals/Dolphins fans.

Good thing for me Im a COLTS lover lol

a lot less confusing that way lol

I would be happy with either. I prefer Luck because he is bigger and does not have the injury history as RGIII. RGIII has a stronger arm. The Skins gave up all those picks because both are outstanding prospects. Neither will be a Ryan Leaf because both are hard workers. Irsay wants Luck. Grigson is not going to show his hand too soon. I believe the pro days and workouts will seperate them because thay are so close in the evaluation process now. If RGIII proves the better passer in workouts Grigson could convince Irsay that is the route to go. Some people still question Luck's arm strength. If the Skins get RGIII they will sell a lot of tickets because of the excitement he brings.

I think a lot of people are missing the point of this post. I'm not saying take RG3 over Luck, I'm asking about your thoughts on what our team would look like with RG3. For god sakes people, let the hate out of your hearts and get your heads out of your you know whats.

Cam Newton had the same 40 time as Luck. And this won't happen.

I agree with all of this, and I have to add that both RG3 and Leaf were thought to have bigger arms and more upside. Correction, however, Leaf did not win the Heisman, he finished 3rd behind Peyton and the winner Charles Woodson. (GO BLUE!).

The comparison was athletic ability and RG3 isn't Vick.

True, which I said luck is right there with cam. But below rg3. Not knocking rg3 what so ever. But you take luck with the pick. He is flat out scary athletic. Check out some film on him. heck, he could play st, d and we for us...no kidding at all. You see that guy lay the wood on someone? Lol, crazy!