Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What If We Shock The World And Take Rg3?!

bWild

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

point being, he ran close enough to RGIII's time that it doesnt really matter since they're supposed to play QB anyhow

Robert Griffin III- 4.41 40 time (officially)

Andrew Luck- 4.67 40 time (officially)

quite a big difference in terms of 40 time. Now we'll see how much it matters in NFL speed, but we're taking Luck regardless, RG3 doesn't make sense for the Colts, even if he posted impressive numbers

Robert Griffin III- 4.41 40 time (officially)

Andrew Luck- 4.67 40 time (officially)

quite a big difference in terms of 40 time. Now we'll see how much it matters in NFL speed, but we're taking Luck regardless, RG3 doesn't make sense for the Colts, even if he posted impressive numbers

when you think of what two tenths of a second really is, its NOT a big difference...especially at a position that's supposed to throw and not run in a straight line as fast as they can

when you think of what two tenths of a second really is, its NOT a big difference...especially at a position that's supposed to throw and not run in a straight line as fast as they can

I am not arguing on that. RG3 has better natural ability than Luck is all I was saying. I don't care what 40 time he runs as long as he is a good QB

Lets put it this way, in 1998, Manning was the favorite like Luck, but Leaf made a late comeback in the press, like RG3 and Leaf also won the Heisman.... We do the right thing by taking the more true quarterback, dont get caught up in the RG3 hype, and the organization will not for sure

Leaf did not win the Heisman. Charles Woodson won the Heisman.

If the Colts pick RG 3 . It will still be a win, win because we don't really know the system the Colts will be bringing next year. I have watch some Baylor games and RG3 does stay in the pocket, it is just al of the highlights that are shown are of him running. RG3 and Luck ran pro style systems, RG3 just operated out of the shotgun more. Both of these QB's would fit with the Colts because the team is in a transition. With that being said RG3 our Luck will be running a new team so they will be in control of there team not Peytons old team. That is why I say it will be a win, win. But I believe the front office is going to chose Luck. Win, Win. Go Colts.

It is a big difference in the NFL, where less than one second separates the super speedsters like Chris Johnson from 340 pound Haloti Ngata. Two tenths of a second is basically the difference between RB/WR speed and FB/TE speed.

Luck ran well enough to be among the more mobile QBs in the league today whereas RGIII ran well enough to be among the fastest QBs of all time. It's an advantage that is rendered irrelevant when both QBs are sitting in the pocket but when flushed out and on the move, RGIII is going to be substantially more dangerous because of it.

To reiterate, it's not a lot and certainly it doesn't say anything about who is a better player but what you see is basically the razor thin margin in the NFL that separates a 15 yard gain from a 50 yard gain:

simul.gif

(RGII, Luck, and Cam)

It is a big difference in the NFL, where less than one second separates the super speedsters like Chris Johnson from 340 pound Haloti Ngata. Two tenths of a second is basically the difference between RB/WR speed and FB/TE speed.

Luck ran well enough to be among the more mobile QBs in the league today whereas RGIII ran well enough to be among the fastest QBs of all time. It's an advantage that is rendered irrelevant when both QBs are sitting in the pocket but when flushed out and on the move, RGIII is going to be substantially more dangerous because of it.

To reiterate, it's not a lot and certainly it doesn't say anything about who is a better player but what you see is basically the razor thin margin in the NFL that separates a 15 yard gain from a 50 yard gain:

simul.gif

(RGII, Luck, and Cam)

2 tenths of a second, WITHOUT pads, for a QUARTERBACK is not a big deal. You mention the WR/RB vs TE/FB positions...well they're QBs and not WR/RB/TE/FB

2 tenths of a second, WITHOUT pads, for a QUARTERBACK is not a big deal. You mention the WR/RB vs TE/FB positions...well they're QBs and not WR/RB/TE/FB

I'm telling you that it is a big deal in certain situations. Cannot emphasize that last little bit enough. You will see RGIII make some plays with his feet (in pads) that Luck simply cannot. It's an advantage Griffin has in his favor but it's only a very small part of the overall equation.

I'm telling you that it is a big deal in certain situations. Cannot emphasize that last little bit enough. You will see RGIII make some plays with his feet (in pads) that Luck simply cannot. It's an advantage Griffin has in his favor but it's only a very small part of the overall equation.

PLEASE....... Stop it with the RG3 is such a better physical spec than Luck. Dude runs what? a tenth 0r two faster than Luck?

A Luck mirrored Cam Newton's combine numbers.................

OK...

Bro aint no slow white guy..... he is a STUD.

Ask Mike Vick... I guarantee you Tuck and Paul will slow RG3's roll real fast....

PLEASE....... Stop it with the RG3 is such a better physical spec than Luck. Dude runs what? a tenth 0r two faster than Luck?

A Luck mirrored Cam Newton's combine numbers.................

OK...

Bro aint no slow white guy..... he is a STUD.

Don't read into my posts too much. I word them very carefully and I mean exactly what I say, nothing more. Luck is a great physical specimen and, as I said, would be among the most mobile QBs in the league. I'm not an irrational RGIII homer despite what the name and avatar might suggest, I'm just supporting the player who I expect the Skins to take. I'd be at least equally as thrilled with Luck if Irsay were to shock everyone in the draft.

Basically the sum total of what I'm saying here is that RGIII has a gear that Luck doesn't and it will enable him to escape certain players in space that Luck may not be able to escape. That gear has no bearing on overall effectiveness at the position. In fact, if he relies on that extra speed too much it may very well stunt his development as a pure passer and put him at greater risk for injury.

All of the above is factually correct if you look at the tape on both. It's not a challenge to Luck's overall ability as some of you seem to be taking it. They're both great prospects and Luck is the more pro-ready of the two.

Ask Mike Vick... I guarantee you Tuck and Paul will slow RG3's roll real fast....

We'll see. Tuck wasn't as effective last year as he usually is and, despite playing extremely well, Paul-Pierre didn't/couldn't do enough on his own to stop us from stomping on the Giants twice last season (even with a good half of our o-line injured/suspended and a horrifically immobile QB). One thing's for sure... if RGIII follows the Michael Vick career model, I am going to be one incredibly unhappy fan. Vick was basically a more athletic, more exciting Tebow in Atlanta whose hype I hated even more than I hated Tebowmania (and I hated that a lot). With the Eagles he's been better but he's still not an elite passer and he has a glass jaw.

Basically the sum total of what I'm saying here is that RGIII has a gear that Luck doesn't and it will enable him to escape certain players in space that Luck may not be able to escape. That gear has no bearing on overall effectiveness at the position. In fact, if he relies on that extra speed too much it may very well stunt his development as a pure passer and put him at greater risk for injury.

That gear has proven to have caused RG3 injury in his college career. He suffered a torn ACL in the 3rd game of his sophomore year at Baylor which sidelined him for the rest of that season such that he was granted a medical red shirt for that season by the NCAA.

simul.gif

(RGII, Luck, and Cam)

I'm confused.

At the combine, didn't they say Luck and Cam Newton ran the same 40 time?

This video shows it differently.

RG3 looks like a track guy playing QB while Luck looks like a QB playing QB.

We have RBs. We need a QB. Not a runner who's gonna get beat up like every other running QB that came into the league.

I still dont buy two tenths of a second, running in a straight line with no pads on, in track clothes, being a big deal for a QB in the NFL. And most of the QBs who are good at "extending the play", such as Vick and Rothlisberger only have to "extend the play" because they're not very good at looking down field and making the correct reads. Peyton Manning is one of the very best to ever play the game, and he never has to "extend the play"...neither did Montana...or Marino...or Brady...or Aikman etc.

That gear has proven to have caused RG3 injury in his college career. He suffered a torn ACL in the 3rd game of his sophomore year at Baylor which sidelined him for the rest of that season such that he was granted a medical red shirt for that season by the NCAA.

Indeed it has. He has not been particularly injury prone outside of that torn ACL, though. His only other real incident of note was a concussion taken when he took a forearm to the head while sliding against Texas Tech. Beyond those two incidents he's been able to withstand the beating fairly well.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm confused.

At the combine, didn't they say Luck and Cam Newton ran the same 40 time?

This video shows it differently.

RG3 looks like a track guy playing QB while Luck looks like a QB playing QB.

We have RBs. We need a QB. Not a runner who's gonna get beat up like every other running QB that came into the league.

Cam (4.56) officially ran a tenth of a second faster than Luck (4.67). I believe Luck's unofficial time was much closer but unofficial times do usually tend to be on the low side. RG3 is a former track star who also happens to be a successful college QB. The reason he's so highly rated these days is because he looks more like an NFL QB in the way that he keeps his eyes downfield and makes a concerted effort to pass before taking off than many other running QBs coming out of college.

He's got more work ahead of him than Luck does to adjust to the pro game for sure but there is a good deal of evidence pointing to the fact that he's more ready than most of the QBs people tend to think of when they think "running QB".

I still dont buy two tenths of a second, running in a straight line with no pads on, in track clothes, being a big deal for a QB in the NFL.

Thats fine. It's certainly a valid point that track speed only loosely correlates to game speed and there have been prospects over the years who have out-performed their numbers (Terrell Davis, Anquan Boldin, and Jerry Rice come to mind). Nonetheless, Griffin's speed still shows up on game tape. Luck's does, too, but it's not quite the same.

And most of the QBs who are good at "extending the play", such as Vick and Rothlisberger only have to "extend the play" because they're not very good at looking down field and making the correct reads. Peyton Manning is one of the very best to ever play the game, and he never has to "extend the play"...neither did Montana...or Marino...or Brady...or Aikman etc.

What about John Elway? Steve Young? Roger Staubach? Fran Tarkenton?

Honestly, I think it's generally unwise to force college prospects into the mold of other QBs you think they resemble until they've stepped onto the field in an NFL game. I keep seeing Luck get comparisons to Elway primarily due to the fact that they're both highly rated prospects out of Stanford with some decent athleticism. It would be great if Luck was the next Elway but they're likely going to be less similar than people are imagining.

Frankly, whether you're rooting for Luck or RGIII you shouldn't really be wanting them to be like another QB. You should want them to be transcendant talents in their own rights, guys who bring things to the table that no one else past or present has.

If we drafted RGIII, I think it would be the biggest mistake we have made as a franchise since trading Rison, Hinton, and a #1 for Jeff George. RGIII is incredibly overrated, in my opinion. And I have watched many of his games, a few in person. I would expect the Colts to be very bad until they figure out he is not an NFL QB in 4 years and get someone else.

The fact that Harbaugh coached this kid and has nothing but great things to say makes me happy; rather than just hearing it from media heads.

It has been said that Luk has high football iq. That is very important IMO. Especially for a rebuilding team.

I also was impressed that during a big game at the end of last season, one of his receivers dropped or turned over the ball. Huge play, as they were behind and Luck on the sidelines just tapped this kid in the back and said "it's alright". That was a great display of sportsmanship and leadership and these things you cannot teach IMO.