Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Retires/ The timing of it all... (merge)

boo2202

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Oof, hearing Chris say he didn't envision this (about Luck retiring) and just the look on his face...

I really hope he means what he says about the team being more than Luck. Because that was the one time tonight where I thought he looked just about devastated.

Yeah. I think they thought with this team and Luck, they had a shot at a deep run

9 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Luck was good but not really great in my opinion.  He never got over his turn over problems and made too many ill advised throws at times for someone of his stature.  I'm sorry to see him go.  But I  don't think he was so good that the Colts will never be able to bounce back from his departure.  What this means is the Colts are no longer Super Bowl contenders this year.  They still have a shot of being a playoff team if Jacoby and/or Swag Kelly can step up.  The overall roster talent is better than it has been in years thanks to Ballard.  

At this point they are not getting anybody better than Jacoby.  Hope Colt fans can accept that.  

Just now, csmopar said:

Yeah. I think they thought with this team and Luck, they had a shot at a deep run

Yeah. I just really hope this doesn't have a ripple effect. Like (worst case scenario) Reich calling it quits after the season because he's not exactly the youngest HC in the world, and Ballard trying to find a better opportunity elsewhere.

Yeah...I'm in full on wondering how bad this can get mode hah

Just now, csmopar said:

We don’t even have that ammo as we speak. And your assuming there’s gonna be a decent one there to trade up for. 

We don’t need to do anything at that position but I get your point 

I don't know who will emerge as QB for next draft, where we will be picking, etc ... but I am not giving up big draft currency for a RB with the QB position complete ???. 

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah. I just really hope this doesn't have a ripple effect. Like (worst case scenario) Reich calling it quits after the season because he's not exactly the youngest HC in the world, and Ballard trying to find a better opportunity elsewhere.

If that happens, they may as well just move out of Indy

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I'm expecting JB to be better than he was when Pagano was here. 2 years in this offensive system and a ton of weapons.  He looked better against the blitz in the Browns game.  His toughness I don't question in the least.  Before we got him from the Pats I thought he could be a big time QB, but after watching numerous games under Pagano I got more of a feeling that his ceiling was just average or worse.  A somewhat unfair assessment considering the circumstances under which we acquired his services.  Plus he didn't have much experience.  The story is a little bit different this time around. 

I think he can be a bit better than average . The coaching is better , the talent is better.  For the first time in a long time the Colts are going to have to build around something other than the QB.  

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I just hope the rest of the team doesn't lay down for the season.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I just hope the rest of the team doesn't lay down for the season.

I agree man. You'd like to think they won't, that they'll rally. But these guys are Andrew Luck fans too and were hyped to play with him. Could take the wind out of the sails.

Luckily, Jacoby seems to be a locker room favorite too. But you never know.

Ok life will go on …….. My family is large and full of generations of MASSIVE football fans...….I am getting what I can only classify as condolence phone calls from my family members …..This is only a sport folks.....There are kids out there fighting cancer …...Life will go on .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We have some classy guys.

Money makes everything easier.     Glad he was booed for the absolutely inexcusable way this multi-millionaire left everyone out to dry.   He knows he never really has to work another day in his life.  Must be nice.

4 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yes there is pretty bad possibilities. 

But do you really see Ballard bailing on the work he's done here thus far anytime soon? He's still making millions. He's moved his family here. He's got a great coaching staff and has put together a good roster in a short time that makes him look like a genius. If JB can win with this team and we can move forward behind him, Ballard could continue building this roster right and end up in Canton. It's THAT kind of opportunity for him. 

1 minute ago, HOF19 said:

Ok life will go on …….. My family is large and full of generations of MASSIVE football fans...….I am getting what I can only classify as condolence phone calls from my family members …..This is only a sport folks.....There are kids out there fighting cancer …...Life will go on .

Great post

13 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

CSMOPAR all summer long I had a uneasy feeling about this situation with Luck like something was coming down the pike and I always wondered if I was the only Colt's fan feeling that ….Kinda like the story we where getting all summer seemed just a bit grey area-ish or was it just me ?

Nope not just you. I had a bad feeling when I 1st heard about the calf injury and nothing I heard since that time made me feel hopeful for the season. I thought it would be another "down year" and that I'll just plug along and hope for the future.

Just going to plug along and hope Reich can work his magic with Jacoby (or Kelly). What else can we do? As a fan I'm not going anywhere. Any anger I feel is directed to those formerly in the organization whose nonsense decisions cut short a promising career.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

But do you really see Ballard bailing on the work he's done here thus far anytime soon? He's still making millions. He's moved his family here. He's got a great coaching staff and has put together a good roster in a short time that makes him look like a genius. If JB can win with this team and we can move forward behind him, Ballard could continue building this roster right and end up in Canton. It's THAT kind of opportunity for him. 

Of course, I'm the eternal optimist here... so the blinders are on full strength tonight my friends. 

18 minutes ago, csmopar said:

“The toughest challenge of a leader is to keep your people motivated and together in the darkest hours of the darkest days” General Taylor, 101st Airborne Division Commander, Jan 1945

Jacoby will fully be tested now

I gotta say, a bit of me wondered if he’d make it all season before IR. But I did not see this one coming at all. 

Good point. It was no sure thing he was playing that much anyway.  

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Oh, realistically? I don’t think Ballard bails. He’s had one great draft (possibly two depending on how this year’s draft pans out) and a decent first draft. And he has a great owner willing to let him work. So hopefully he’s in it for the long haul.