Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Questions - How do you feel, JB, and Kelly??

EastStreet

QB Questions  

97 members have voted

1. 1. How many losses before we turn to Chad Kelly

2. 2. Your thoughts on Luck's retirement

• He's great, we should thank him
    • I'm really torn and I don't know
    • He's soft, and a deserter
  3. 3. What the heck should we do

• Roll with JB, and go to Kelly if needed
    • Go to Kelly as soon as possible
    • Find a QB to trade for
    • Tank the season and draft Tua
    • Just get through 2019, tank 2020, and draft Lawrence

19 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Is that why he almost went undrafted??

he almost went undrafted because of his maturity/behavior.

nobody doubted his talent. i think he's still the last QB to go on the road to Tuscaloosa and beat Bama/Saban. the kid has a cannon, is accurate, and has proven wheels. can his head make good choices off the field? I don't know.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I can’t disagree with anything you said. I think JB showed he had some talent, but has consistency issues. Now that he is the guy, he has to show he can overcome that aspect of his game. He has the arm, he can make all the throws, it appears the teammates respect and trust him (huge). I have to ask the question, does he have the football smarts that an elite QB must have? I question that he does but I’m ok to be wrong. 

Ive liked what I have seen Kelly so under the limits that’s he has had. Colts are going to find out what we have, one thing we need now, a replacement for PW because as a 3rd guy, he isn’t really an nfl option at all. He was an arm to use during the practice squad and preseason. 

You hit the nail on the head about "consistency". One thing I have liked about JB is his success with the deep ball.

I'm not sure though it's really football smarts. I think it's simply more about field vision and going through progressions. He just really struggles sometimes. I guess that could also play into football smarts though (the progressions component).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Watching the game now.

Kelly reminds me of Baker Mayfield.

I said that same thing to someone this morning, he's a little faster, see him chase down the corner?  Dude can play if he can keep his head.

I will say this about Kelly.  I like him a lot.

One, he is fast as hell. 

Two, when he decided to fire the ball?  It is out in a millisecond.  Much quicker release and a better arm than Luck has now.

Who knows, maybe Luck retiring will be the best thing that could ever happen to the Colts.  If he doesn't?  Kelly gets cut or put on the practice squad and picked up by another team.

You never know. 

What I do know is Kelly to me LOOKS the part.  Much more so than Jacoby.

• Like 2

Just wanted to mention Chad Kelly.  He is the nephew of QB Jim Kelly.

He has had disciplinary problems since high school.

His most recent problems involve disorderly conduct and criminal trespassing.  The DC was about fighting with bouncers outside of a bar.  The CT was following a woman home to her residence after a party.

I'm assuming alcohol has played a big part in his behavior.

I just don't know about Brissett. To me, I seem to see a guy that, as soon as the ball is hiked, he forgets the play. At times he just seems lost out there, and has a problem with just starring down one receiver. Even though he was in a new system, and as the season went on, he seem to play every game the same way. Looking lost!!!  Watching the first 2 preseason games, he still looked the same way. Unless I'm missing something, he only had one good drive in the 2 games. With Kelly, he just seems more aware of his surroundings. He seemed to have a better command of the offense, and made great throws the times he was out there, and he just seemed to make better decisions playing, then Brissett did. Is either one of them a long term solution? In my opinion,  No...

5 hours ago, sevatar said:

Kelly has elite talent. He really does...blows JB out the water potential wise.

Now if he can just keep his head screwed on...

He was brought it by Ballard and Reich because they see it too. Chris is all about character and is willing to take a risk on this guy, it should tel us all something. He will be starting by game 4.

Right now, it's JB's job to lose more than Kelly's to win. Kelly has no experience, neither does Walker.

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

The point of my post is, I don't think you wait for 8 losses before you give Kelly a shot, unless you're trying to improve your draft position.

You can't change until playoff chances become remote.  You just can't.

In 2020, if we haven't solved for the long term QB situation, I'd be perfectly happy if Ballard played big Q at QB, and took Lawrence at #1. 

I'd be interested in possibly bringing Teddy Bridgewater ( Hi @NFLfan ) in for a look next year, as well as see who is in the draft we might be in position to take, if JB doesn't pan out.  Hopefully Kelly can stay and develop.

There are credible football folks that are on both sides of Brissett.  IE: Charlie Weiss loves the guy, OTOH, Pat Kirwan thinks he is a 6 game winner with our talented club. JB got the best opportunity handed to him.  It's his job to deliver.  :sip:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I'd be interested in bringing Teddy Bridgewater in next year for a look if JB doesn't pan out.

Define "become remote". Is that an 0-2 start? 0-3, 0-4, 1-5?? What's the trigger?

No thanks on Bridgewater.

9 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Right now, it's JB's job to lose more than Kelly's to win. Kelly has no experience, neither does Walker.

I'd be interested in bringing Teddy Bridgewater in next year for a look if JB doesn't pan out.

Kelly to me is your ace in the hole wild card sleeper double secret probation QB.

I am telling you guys, he has something.  He appears to have really turned his life around and I see VERY good NFL qb when I see him play.

And my wife thinks he is hot haha.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

I mean... Colts fans are spoiled with 2 generational talents at QB in a row. IMO this is not realistic goal. There aren't enough generational types of talents at QB and teams don't trade out of those(Colts had Peyton Freaking Manning and still decided to go with the younger generational talent). For example, I don't think whoever ends with the no. 1 pick in the 2021 draft will trade out of this pick even if they have a good QB already, simply because Lawrence seems like the generational type of QB right now. 

IMO we should be looking at QBs that are high quality or have high quality skill/attributes that can be developed into a winning QB. Examples - Darnold, Watson, Mahomes from the last several years. Those were not considered generational types of talents and their teams traded up in order to acquire them and IMO their teams will be able to win with those QBs if they surround them with good enough talent. This is what we should be aiming at. Example - I love Herbert in next year's draft. But he's not perfect and there are some questions about him. This is the way you get a franchise QB - trade for imperfect QB that you develop and he flourishes under your coaches' guidance. 

I'm not looking  at next years draft til I see that our current  qbs can't get  it done. If we start off 0 and 7 then I'll look to next year's  draft

13 minutes ago, aavmarine said:

I just don't know about Brissett. To me, I seem to see a guy that, as soon as the ball is hiked, he forgets the play. At times he just seems lost out there, and has a problem with just starring down one receiver. Even though he was in a new system, and as the season went on, he seem to play every game the same way. Looking lost!!!  Watching the first 2 preseason games, he still looked the same way. Unless I'm missing something, he only had one good drive in the 2 games. With Kelly, he just seems more aware of his surroundings. He seemed to have a better command of the offense, and made great throws the times he was out there, and he just seemed to make better decisions playing, then Brissett did. Is either one of them a long term solution? In my opinion,  No...

To me Jacoby is very robotic.  No real feel for the game.  Talent...but almost as if he just started to learn the position.

13 minutes ago, aavmarine said:

I disagree.  Brissett  evaded blitzers on a few plays by stepping up and side stepping them.

10 hours ago, blackcoffeeguy said:

I know a lot of you Colt's fans think the sky is falling etc but I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about at the QB position. I really believe you have a franchise QB already on your team and thats Kelly. And for those of you that are doubtful, you won't be for long, once he gets on the field.

I watched Kelly in college, if he can keep his head in the right spot, this Guy can ball, he was amazing, and not just against poor competition. Absolutely fantastic arm talent and one heck of an athlete. 

Define "become remote". Is that an 0-2 start? 0-3, 0-4, 1-5?? What's the trigger?

3rd or last in the division just past the halfway point of the season, unless we still have a winning record.

Really?  He's the heir apparent to Brees.  Might be persuaded to come here.  Ask @NFLfan, Teddy never lost the Vikes starting job, a freak injury stole it from him. She was very high on Teddy too.  The guy is healthy, has NFL experience, 17 - 12 record in games started... etc...

We have nobody at QB under contract next year.  We need a promising QB that got derailed.  TB might be that guy if JB doesn't step way up.  Chad kelly is too inexperienced to throw out against #1 defenses with DC's game planning to shut him down.

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

Kelly to me is your ace in the hole wild card sleeper double secret probation QB.

But no experience.  None.  He may look good now, but how about against real defenses/game plans? How will he hold up?

I am telling you guys, he has something.  He appears to have really turned his life around and I see VERY good NFL qb when I see him play.

And my wife thinks he is hot haha.

I'm not handing the keys over to him to he shows me in a real crunch situation 'he has it'.

You hit the nail on the head about "consistency". One thing I have liked about JB is his success with the deep ball.

I'm not sure though it's really football smarts. I think it's simply more about field vision and going through progressions. He just really struggles sometimes. I guess that could also play into football smarts though (the progressions component).

I’m just hopeful he has truly put 110% into this offseason and regular season so far as if Luck wouldn’t play. Little did he know this whole time, he would be the starter from the beginning this year. Valuable reps and film room as well as instruction from all those who should be in his head. I mean I think most of us are rooting for his success. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I will say this about Kelly.  I like him a lot.

One, he is fast as hell. 

Two, when he decided to fire the ball?  It is out in a millisecond.  Much quicker release and a better arm than Luck has now.

Who knows, maybe Luck retiring will be the best thing that could ever happen to the Colts.  If he doesn't?  Kelly gets cut or put on the practice squad and picked up by another team.

You never know. 

What I do know is Kelly to me LOOKS the part.  Much more so than Jacoby.

Under the same levels of competition, I’d agree with you, however, Kelly hasn’t seen the same level of players that JB has so far. Remember how many kids look awesome in shorts and no pads, kind of the same thing here. JB has faced bigger competition than Kelly has. If his mental processes fire as fast as his throwing motion has shown in the lesser talent guys when he plays starting talents, I like Kelly. Never being able to see Kelly against starting talent defenses that scheme for your team, I’m going with JB until JB shows he hasn’t learned over his tenure in Indy. 

35 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Flynn vs RW, pre-season. Pete Carroll knew what he had in Flynn, he went with the ceiling in RW and never looked back.

If JB has us in a 1-3 or 1-4 hole and isn’t executing right, and getting rid of the ball fast enough, I don’t want the coaches to play safe.

If Belichick played safe with Bledsoe, we’d not have known who Brady was. If Pete Carroll has played safe with Flynn, we’d not know who RW was.

Sometimes a chance is worth taking. We can’t go on the premise we owe JB anything if he gets us off to a 1-4 start.

JB, unlike with Pagano, has everything going for him - talent assembled on both ends, OL better than Pagano era, 2 years to sit and learn Reich’s system, and if we believe he’s starter material, he’s going to have to deliver. 

• Like 5

Kelly is probably a better talent than Brissett but he needs more playing time/practice time before he is in a position to take over. He should probably be played in the late parts of lost games as soon as possible.

And there is still the problem of Kelly's past behavior...is he going to revert to full jerk again after he has some success or is Reich's presence enough of a deterrent?

Willing to give Jacoby the chance, but I dont think hes a star QB. Good leader strong arm, I think he doesn't look to throw deep, and struggles to come off first target, not always accurate. Kelly there is a lot to like, I think he is a better QB More gifted. Would like to see more of him! Is Kelly a knucklehead Possibly Its going to fun to see how this plays out. I am thankful that Riech is the coach, I feel he will play to whomever is playing to their strengths!!

22 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

3rd or last in the division just past the halfway point of the season, unless we still have a winning record.

Really?  He's the heir apparent to Brees.  Might be persuaded to come here.  As @NFLfan, Teddy never lost the Vikes starting job, a freak injury stole it from him. She was very high on Teddy too.  The guy is healthy, has NFL experience, 17 - 12 record in games started... etc...

We have nobody at QB under contract next year.  We need a promising QB that got deraioled.  TB might be that guy if JB doesn't step way up.  Chad kelly is too inexperienced to throw out against #1 defenses with DC's gameplanning to shut him down.

But no experience.  None.  He may look good now, but how about against real defenses/gameplans? How will he hold up?

I'm not handing the keys over to him to he shows me in a real crunch situation 'he has it'.

hand over the keys is a good way to put it, and that would be absurd to do right now.  the thing is there is a very real chance hes better than jacoby. CK is worth a closer look but he has as much to prove off the field as he does on it

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Really?  He's the heir apparent to Brees.  Might be persuaded to come here.  As @NFLfan, Teddy never lost the Vikes starting job, a freak injury stole it from him. She was very high on Teddy too.  The guy is healthy, has NFL experience, 17 - 12 record in games started... etc...

We have nobody at QB under contract next year.  We need a promising QB that got deraioled.  TB might be that guy if JB doesn't step way up.  Chad kelly is too inexperienced to throw out against #1 defenses with DC's gameplanning to shut him down.

But no experience.  None.  He may look good now, but how about against real defenses/gameplans? How will he hold up?

I would love to see Teddy get a starting job. However, he cannot be expected to be Manning or Luck. He is not that elite QB. I think he will take you to the playoffs and win in the postseason but he won't be throwing 50 yard bombs. He could be more like Carson Wentz.

I think the Colts should give the guys on their team a shot first. 

Too bad Rosen went to Miami. I think he might do well with the Colts. 

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Really?  He's the heir apparent to Brees.  Might be persuaded to come here.  Ask @NFLfan, Teddy never lost the Vikes starting job, a freak injury stole it from him. She was very high on Teddy too.  The guy is healthy, has NFL experience, 17 - 12 record in games started... etc...

We have nobody at QB under contract next year.  We need a promising QB that got derailed.  TB might be that guy if JB doesn't step way up.  Chad kelly is too inexperienced to throw out against #1 defenses with DC's game planning to shut him down.

But no experience.  None.  He may look good now, but how about against real defenses/game plans? How will he hold up?

Give me a record that's a trigger. Is is 0 and XX, or 1 or 2 and XX. To me, if you're 1-5 or something close, you're very much on the bubble/verge already. We were one of only a few teams ever to go to the playoffs after our start last year, but we had Luck and luck making it.

In short, if we're 3 or 4 games under .500, it time to give Kelly a shot. Yes, he's unproven, but you have to give him a chance to prove it, or he'll be proven. Chicken before the egg stuff.

On Bridgewater, I just don't see a QB that's top 16, or a guy with a high ceiling. In his best two seasons before injury, his best TD total was 14 TDs both years. He also averaged 10.5 INTs those two years. IMO, he's closer to Brissett than Luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

I’m just hopeful he has truly put 110% into this offseason and regular season so far as if Luck wouldn’t play. Little did he know this whole time, he would be the starter from the beginning this year. Valuable reps and film room as well as instruction from all those who should be in his head. I mean I think most of us are rooting for his success. 

I hope he kills it. Realistically my gut has doubts as many do. But I think all of us will be very happy if he turns out to be "the guy". 

Never a dull moment :-)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Flynn vs RW, pre-season. Pete Carroll knew what he had in Flynn, he went with the ceiling in RW and never looked back.

If JB has us in a 1-3 or 1-4 hole and isn’t executing right, and getting rid of the ball fast enough, I don’t want the coaches to play safe.

If Belichick played safe with Bledsoe, we’d not have known who Brady was. If Pete Carroll has played safe with Flynn, we’d not know who RW was.

Sometimes a chance is worth taking. We can’t go on the premise we owe JB anything if he gets us off to a 1-4 start.

JB, unlike with Pagano, has everything going for him - talent assembled on both ends, OL better than Pagano era, 2 years to sit and learn Reich’s system, and if we believe he’s starter material, he’s going to have to deliver. 

winner winner!

JB has a great supporting cast. Upgrades at OL and WR, great TEs, above average running game, and a much better defense than he had in 2017. His time is now, and he needs to go out and prove it.

I'm with you 100% on not playing it safe. If we're 3 games under 500, gotta give the shot to someone else. Don't wait till you have zero chance of the post season. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HOF19 said:

Long shot Colts option ? >>>>>>Here in NY Metro the Media wondering if the younger brother gets traded during the season to the place where big brother(Peyton) played if younger brother (Eli) gets benched .

I'd rather have Eli than other names that have been tossed out. I think it would happen mid season or later if it did. They're going to give JB a shot. If that doesn't work out, Kelly will likely get a shot. Eli's situation with Jones also has to play out.

Not sure Eli really would want to go somewhere if the team is not 100% committed to him. And knowing how Irsay chose Luck over big brother, not sure Eli would buy in. Unless Irsay said "I'll overpay you for two years to bridge a new guy" and offered high guaranteed $$, I don't see it happening. And I don't see Ballard wanting to pay big $$ for someone in the twilight of their career unless he thought it was the missing/final piece of a SB run.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Just wanted to mention Chad Kelly.  He is the nephew of QB Jim Kelly.

He has had disciplinary problems since high school.

His most recent problems involve disorderly conduct and criminal trespassing.  The DC was about fighting with bouncers outside of a bar.  The CT was following a woman home to her residence after a party.

I'm assuming alcohol has played a big part in his behavior.

I'm pretty sure this is all well known to any fan paying the slightest attention.

3 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I'd rather have Eli than other names that have been tossed out. I think it would happen mid season or later if it did. They're going to give JB a shot. If that doesn't work out, Kelly will likely get a shot. Eli's situation with Jones also has to play out.

Not sure Eli really would want to go somewhere if the team is not 100% committed to him. And knowing how Irsay chose Luck over big brother, not sure Eli would buy in. Unless Irsay said "I'll overpay you for two years to bridge a new guy" and offered high guaranteed $$, I don't see it happening. And I don't see Ballard wanting to pay big $$ for someone in the twilight of their career unless he thought it was the missing/final piece of a SB run.

I agree it probably would be a combination of 2 or 3 unique circumstances that would lead to Eli ending up in INDY but it is not impossible .

Until Giants season starts in the downward direction they will still play Eli   (I believe ). But you got to understand that 2/3rds of the NY Media has been trying to find ways to say bye bye to Eli for months ………..For months .

Or to put it another way the NY Media (the largest media group on the planet ) would LOVE this story (trading Eli) to get some legs......Because then they would swamp the social networks with it because they are the most powerful media group in the world …...Again for some reason it seems they can't wait for Eli to no longer be in NY .

And this is a real head scratcher to me ……..Both WFNI Indianapolis radio and WFAN 660 NY have confirmed that WFAN660 NY has requested Dan Dakich come on the air on one of their NY Radio shows …..Is he worthy of that attention ? ….And why in the NY Media so interested in this story ?

1 minute ago, HOF19 said:

And this is a real head scratcher to me ……..Both WFNI Indianapolis radio and WFAN 660 NY have confirmed that WFAN660 NY has requested Dan Dakich come on the air on one of their NY Radio shows …..Is he worthy of that attention ?

Lord no. He does fit in with some the ridiculous stuff that radio personalities get away with in NY.