Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency: Round 2, and are we done?

EastStreet

Free Agency: Round 2, and are we done?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Will we add more players through FA?

2. 2. What is our biggest remaining need

3. 3. Who would you like to add

• 1. Ziggy Ansah, DE
    • 2. Ndamukong Suh, DT
    • 3. Zach Brown, LB
    • 4. Eric Berry, S
    • 5. Tre Boston, S
    • 6. Donald Penn, OT
    • 7. Nick Perry, OLB
    • 8. Shane Ray, OLB
    • 9. Michael Crabtree, WR
    • 10. Jamie Collins, OLB
    • 11. Muhammad Wilkerson, DT
    • 12. Bennie Logan, DT
    • 13. Danny Shelton, DT
    • Other - please post who

Beginning Tuesday, FA adds no longer count into the compensatory equation, so things should heat back up a little.

SI just published an article about the best free agents left.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/05/03/remaining-free-agent-ranknigs-ziggy-ansah-ndamukong-suh-michael-crabtree

1. Ziggy Ansah, DE
The soon-to-be-30-year-old hasn’t played a full 16-game season since 2016, but did log 12 sacks in 2017 and four over a seven-game stretch in 2018. The former first-round pick could be a solid addition for a team searching for help on the edge.

2. Ndamukong Suh, DT
Suh, 32, is one of the greatest defensive players at his position in the modern era. I think back to the Super Bowl, where he was effective early—had the Rams produced some offense we might be talking more about his impact on the game plan. Suh might be a part-time player, and an expensive one at that. But there’s always room for a versatile tackle who specializes in pissing people off.

3. Zach Brown, LB
One of Pro Football Focus’s best linebackers last season, Brown is under 30 and will probably have suitors. If you missed out on Devin White or Devin Bush in the draft, you may need to look to someone like Brown for help.

(UPDATE: Does Howie Roseman subscribe to the Morning Huddle? The Eagles announced they signed Brown five minutes after this hit inboxes.)

4. Eric Berry, S
Health is obviously a concern for Berry, who has played in three games over the last two seasons (torn Achilles and heel bruise). Still, I think back to what his old defensive coordinator, Bob Sutton, used to say about Berry’s singular ability to destroy an opposition’s game plan. He could be one of the most fortuitous gambles of the offseason.

5. Tre Boston, S
Boston is only 26 and had a good season in Arizon last year—79 total tackles, three QB hits, three interceptions and nine passes defensed. While he may be bummed out that other teams don’t see the value, he’ll get his chance to prove them wrong.

6. Donald Penn, OT
Penn just turned 35, won’t be cheap and won’t play any special teams. He made it through four games last year before getting placed on injured reserve with a groin injury. But he was a productive player not so long ago, recently professed his desire to continue playing, and could be a solid option for teams who whiffed on the offensive line class in this draft.

7. Nick Perry, OLB
He had 18 sacks between 2016 and 2017 in Green Bay, and Perry could be a nice chess piece for a defense looking to fill a hole before training camp. It helps that he’ll still have some gas in the tank.

8. Shane Ray, OLB
A potential career realignment could be in order. Just 25, Ray recently visited the Seahawks (and had a few whiffs earlier in the spring). He logged just two sacks over the last two seasons, but a change of scenery could bring out what he does best.

9. Michael Crabtree, WR
The former first-round pick is a long way from his 2016 season, when he logged his last 1,000-yard campaign. He’ll still be a red zone threat for a team that may need to upgrade their receiver depth.

10. Jamie Collins, OLB
Hard to believe his tenure in Cleveland is over. Once a symbol of the new-life Sashi Brown Browns, Collins is back on the market. His value has tanked a bit since becoming a defensive stalwart in New England, but linebacker is a position of need for a lot of teams.

11. Muhammad Wilkerson, DT
The former first-round pick may be far away from his past as an effective hybrid lineman in Rex Ryan’s 3-4 defense, but there is still room for players who can stretch the line and play multiple gaps.

12. Bennie Logan, DT
He had a down season statistically in Tennessee, but at one time Logan was a desirable set piece on a defensive line. Now 29, we might soon be hearing from teams still worried about their ability to stop the run.

13. Danny Shelton, DT
The big-bodied tackle had some action early in free agency but is still available. Like Logan, a team looking for run support will give him a call. He was solid in that regard for the Patriots last year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think we are pretty much very done. We have so much competition on this team.

I'm 60/40 that we aren't done.

I'm still surprised a bit we didn't take iDL, which many thought was our biggest need.

https://clutchpoints.com/colts-news-indianapolis-named-the-top-destination-for-ndamukong-suh/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-free-agency-watch-for-ndamukong-suh-ranking-the-top-landing-spots-for-the-star-defensive-tackle/

Jared Dubin of CBS Sports names the Indianapolis Colts as the top destination for Suh, as the Colts still have an unreal $57.8 million remaining in cap space and have a need for an interior pass rusher.

• Like 1

I voted IDL, yes, and Suh. I do not want to hear from anyone how Suh wouldn't make this team better. That is pure nonsense, he hasn't been a bonehead in years and is one of the best players to ever play his position. If we signed him for 1 year, game over. I say we win 12 games then and win the SB.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I voted IDL, yes, and Suh. I do not want to hear from anyone how Suh wouldn't make this team better. That is pure nonsense, he hasn't been a bonehead in years and is one of the best players to ever play his position. If we signed him for 1 year, game over. I say we win 12 games then and win the SB.

i'd prefer a 2 year deal front loaded so it's better for us year 2 cap wise. 

i'm with you though. after showing so much interest in bonehead Kelly, Suh should not bother anyone. Not sure about winning the SB, but it certainly gets us closer and give us a better chance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

i'd prefer a 2 year deal front loaded so it's better for us year 2 cap wise. 

i'm with you though. after showing so much interest in bonehead Kelly, Suh should not bother anyone. Not sure about winning the SB, but it certainly gets us closer and give us a better chance.

If we sign Suh, I will pick us to win the SB.

10 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I have a feeling that the Colts are done after seeing the roster numbers

not sure why roster numbers, etc are any different than previous years. 

if we're upping the talent across the board, it means were cutting better plays too. 

hard choices, but i'll always side on improving the roster even if it hurts some times.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

not sure why roster numbers, etc are any different than previous years. 

if we're upping the talent across the board, it means were cutting better plays too. 

hard choices, but i'll always side on improving the roster even if it hurts some times.

Currently the roster is at 84 with 5 unsigned DPs and at least 1 tryout signing to get to 90

The guys still out there have some kind of red flag

The only spot that needs any improvement is the DL and I would like to see what the UDFAs/DP have over someone like Suh 

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Currently the roster is at 84 with 5 unsigned DPs and at least 1 tryout signing to get to 90

The guys still out there have some kind of red flag

The only spot that needs any improvement is the DL and I would like to see what the UDFAs/DP have over someone like Suh 

If the UDFAs are good, hope we keep them as developmental, but that in no way would make take instant production from a guy like Suh.

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

If the UDFAs are good, hope we keep them as developmental, but that in no way would make take instant production from a guy like Suh.

If Suh is so great why he still available 

he or someone like will be available at camp if necessary 

22 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

If Suh is so great why he still available 

he or someone like will be available at camp if necessary 

the younger and longer term guys went pre-draft, now it's post draft. 

those that didn't draft what they needed, now get a second look see.

he's older, but still has been productive.

suh will get picked up. hope it's us for a reasonable deal.

• Like 1

I think we need either Al Woods back or someone to man that spot. I think 3T will have a very solid rotation between Lewis, Autry, and a healthy Ward.

Part of me understands the value of developing young talent and not putting aging vets in front of them that tend to stunt their growth, but the other part really wants Eric Berry. He's a fantastic leader and when healthy, he's a game changer. With his leadership, he may actually elevate the other guys in the safety room too, so it may be worth it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Same...signing Suh puts this team in the driver’s seat to rep the AFC in the Super Bowl in my opinion.  Barring major injuries.  Adding a guy like that would make this Colts defense the nastiest one in the Indianapolis era. As the article below states...it just makes too much sense. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-free-agency-watch-for-ndamukong-suh-ranking-the-top-landing-spots-for-the-star-defensive-tackle/

• Like 2

I have no clue but selected QB as biggest need... 

:sarcasm:

I think I like where we are at actually roster wise. Maybe like to see a DT but not sure I’d want Suh. I think he’s past his prime, too $$$ and his dirtiness is something I don’t think you want on a young team like ours. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

I think I like where we are at actually roster wise. Maybe like to see a DT but not sure I’d want Suh. I think he’s past his prime, too $$$ and his dirtiness is something I don’t think you want on a young team like ours. 

Feel the same way

11 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Maybe it is the Coach in me but The moment Suh Kicked his opponent I was done being a fan

But doesnt that keep you from being objective? And how long ago was that?

9 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I could see a Danny Shelton signing perhaps if the FO gets a look at the new DL minus Ridgeway and Woods and after seeing Jodan Thompson and Johnny Robinson up close and personal.

They may feel the need to add another bigger body?

I was just about to say Danny Shelton also. Thats a very Ballard like signing. His contract would be cheap, hes already been in a 4-3 under Gregg Williams. I remember he caused us plenty of problems when we played Cleveland under Pagano. Hes a former 1st round draft pick who can come in and prove himself. Good competition for Stewart and Hunt.

• Thanks 1