Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency: Round 2, and are we done?

EastStreet

Free Agency: Round 2, and are we done?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Will we add more players through FA?

2. 2. What is our biggest remaining need

3. 3. Who would you like to add

• 1. Ziggy Ansah, DE
    • 2. Ndamukong Suh, DT
    • 3. Zach Brown, LB
    • 4. Eric Berry, S
    • 5. Tre Boston, S
    • 6. Donald Penn, OT
    • 7. Nick Perry, OLB
    • 8. Shane Ray, OLB
    • 9. Michael Crabtree, WR
    • 10. Jamie Collins, OLB
    • 11. Muhammad Wilkerson, DT
    • 12. Bennie Logan, DT
    • 13. Danny Shelton, DT
    • Other - please post who

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I was just about to say Danny Shelton also. Thats a very Ballard like signing. His contract would be cheap, hes already been in a 4-3 under Gregg Williams. I remember he caused us plenty of problems when we played Cleveland under Pagano. Hes a former 1st round draft pick who can come in and prove himself. Good competition for Stewart and Hunt.

I would prefer him unless the UDFAs show they can do the job

15 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think we are pretty much very done. We have so much competition on this team.

I disagree, Ballard likes to churn and churn for more talent. You can NEVER have enough competition. Competition brings out the best in players and the best 11 will play. 

On 5/3/2019 at 7:35 PM, Irish YJ said:

I'm 60/40 that we aren't done.

I'm still surprised a bit we didn't take iDL, which many thought was our biggest need.

If you listen to Ballard in the post-draft press conference he said the following (maybe not in this order or exact quotes, but close enough): (1) He expects Grover Stewart to make a big leap this year, (2) He thinks Hunt and Autry are very good in this defense, (3) Expect Tyquan Lewis to play on the inside more (I think he/Autry/maybe Ward will be counted on as our interior pass-rush, (4) Jihad Ward was playing very good ball until he got hurt......

He genuinely seemed to think we were good on the DL (but then of course, I'm sure he's not going to get up there and say "Grover Stewart's a bust who won't develop, etc.").  I think Jegs Jegeles is more of a project/practice squad type guy at this point, but he has almost the same build as Autry (6'5" 273 for JJ vs. 6'5"270 for Autry).

On 5/3/2019 at 7:32 PM, Chloe6124 said:

I think we are pretty much very done. We have so much competition on this team.

I would agree, except there will be unexpected cuts from other teams and more likely than not some unexpected injuries as we go through training camp.... I doubt we'll see any big name splashes unless there's an unexpected cut or unexpected injury.  

On 5/3/2019 at 9:08 PM, PrincetonTiger said:

I have a feeling that the Colts are done after seeing the roster numbers

Same as I said to Chloe... I don't think we're going to do anything 'big,' but Ballard's a mover and a shaker and I'm sure when other teams cut guys he coveted or we have injuries we'll be making some more moves.

On 5/3/2019 at 10:41 PM, Shive said:

I think we need either Al Woods back or someone to man that spot. I think 3T will have a very solid rotation between Lewis, Autry, and a healthy Ward.

Part of me understands the value of developing young talent and not putting aging vets in front of them that tend to stunt their growth, but the other part really wants Eric Berry. He's a fantastic leader and when healthy, he's a game changer. With his leadership, he may actually elevate the other guys in the safety room too, so it may be worth it.

I think Ballard/Reich/'Flus are expecting Grover Stewart to take the spot Al Woods had been playing.   As much as I like Al Woods, if we're going to sign someone at/over 30 to play DT, I think it's gonna be on a 1-2 year deal and there are several guys available who are better than Woods -- and we have plenty of money to spend on a short-term deal  (guys at 29 or above who I think are better than Woods include Suh, Wilkerson, and Logan --- Shelton's only 25, so I could see a longer deal for him if Ballard were to pull the trigger, though from watching the post-draft presser I was very convinced that Ballard is OK with our DL as is right now). 

The guy that stuck out to me on the list was also Berry.  I think he's probably past his prime with the injuries he is coming off, but it was just 2-3 years ago he was a first-team All-Pro.  Ballard also seems to have an affinity for players he has dealt with in the past and Ballard was an executive in KC during Berry's prime years.  We've got so much depth in the d-backfield right now, but if anyone goes down, I could see Berry becoming a similar signing to Mike Mitchell (maybe more likely, since Ballard has known him for at least 5-6 years).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

If you listen to Ballard in the post-draft press conference he said the following (maybe not in this order or exact quotes, but close enough): (1) He expects Grover Stewart to make a big leap this year, (2) He thinks Hunt and Autry are very good in this defense, (3) Expect Tyquan Lewis to play on the inside more (I think he/Autry/maybe Ward will be counted on as our interior pass-rush, (4) Jihad Ward was playing very good ball until he got hurt......

He genuinely seemed to think we were good on the DL (but then of course, I'm sure he's not going to get up there and say "Grover Stewart's a bust who won't develop, etc.").  I think Jegs Jegeles is more of a project/practice squad type guy at this point, but he has almost the same build as Autry (6'5" 273 for JJ vs. 6'5"270 for Autry).

I think folks need to take a grain of salt with all these pressers. Just like his comments on WR, then he took a WR in the early rounds.

I expect him to sell his current guys. You want them to think we are confident in them, and you also want FAs to know that we aren't desperate. 

IMO, I like several of the guys, but I'll definitely take an upgrade anywhere on the iDL for a short term.