Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I have a feeling that Marquise "Hollywood" Brown was our target in the first round

BlueShoe

I just listened to Jim Irsay’s press conference and he referenced the Clay Matthews deal that he has talked about in the past. 

I think the same thing happened in this draft, and that Hollywood was the target. The Ravens jumped right in front of us and took him. Makes sense too, because Ballard drafted a very similar talent in Tyreek Hill. 

In the end, I think it worked out. While Parris will need more experience running the full route tree, I like his upside. Like Irsay said, time will tell. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

I just listened to Jim Irsay’s press conference and he referenced the Clay Matthews deal that he has talked about in the past. 

I think the same thing happened in this draft, and that Hollywood was the target. The Ravens jumped right in front of us and took him. Makes sense too, because Ballard drafted a very similar talent in Tyreek Hill. 

In the end, I think it worked out. While Parris will need more experience running the full route tree, I like his upside. Like Irsay said, time will tell. 

Hmmm very possible 

11 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

JMV was saying on his radio show Friday that the Colts were targeting Josh Jacobs and that the team doctors gave a "thumbs down" to Montez Sweat. Thus the trade down.

I haven’t listened to JMV today, but I think he got the wrong guy. Everyone and their brother mocked Jacobs to the Raiders at 24. That was no surprise. Ballard would have known he needed to move up to get Jacobs.

Just now, PureLuck said:

The Ravens didn't swoope ahead of anyone, they traded down from 22, so it wasn't hard to predict they'd pick before us...

The signs are pointing to the Ravens moving in front of us and then taking the player we were targeting. They probably had Hollywood targeted all along too, and felt they could move back and still get him. 

3 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I haven’t listened to JMV today, but I think he got the wrong guy. Everyone and their brother mocked Jacobs to the Raiders at 24. That was no surprise. Ballard would have known he needed to move up to get Jacobs. 

The Ravens swooping in front of us was much harder to predict. 

He usually has pretty good intel from people with the team. The Raven's didn't trade up to 25 though, they traded back from 22 to 25. I think a trade down was always in the cards.

1 minute ago, Boiler_Colt said:

He usually has pretty good intel from people with the team. The Raven's didn't trade up to 25 though, they traded back from 22 to 25. I think a trade down was always in the cards.

I think we were ready to turn our card in with Hollywood’s name on it, and then we learned he was just selected by the Ravens. 

19 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

JMV was saying on his radio show Friday that the Colts were targeting Josh Jacobs and that the team doctors gave a "thumbs down" to Montez Sweat. Thus the trade down.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking Jacobs was the guy we wanted too after we traded. Hollywood wouldn't have been surprising either.

I think even both of them could've been guys Ballard would've taken.

12 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I think we were ready to turn our card in with Hollywood’s name on it, and then we learned he was just selected by the Ravens. 

I mean it's a fine theory but right now it's just a guess. Something may come out later but I do believe JMV that Jacobs was a target. He may not have been the only target but he was a primary one.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

The "never take a WR early" and "Ballard won't take a WR" crowd disapprove :banana:

Apparently, it’s news to you....

Ballard didn’t take a WR early.   

He passed at pick 26.

He passed at pick 34.

He passed at pick 46.

He finally grabbed one in his 4th opportunity at pick 59.    The “never grab a WR early” crowd have nothing to disapprove of.  Ballard apparently agreed with us.    

And in the entire first round, just 2 WRs taken.   More evidence for our side, not yours. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He passed at pick 26.

He passed at pick 34.

He passed at pick 46.

He finally grabbed one in his 4th opportunity at pick 59.    The “never grab a WR early” crowd have nothing to disapprove of.  Ballard apparently agreed with us.    

And in the entire first round, just 2 WRs taken.   More evidence for our side, not yours. 

I am not sure about this “West side vs East side” thing going on. I haven’t been around much. But did you watch the Jim Irsay presser?

It’s not hard to read between the lines. I think it’s reasonably obvious that Hollywood was our target and that the Ravens took him right in front of us. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Maybe, who knows.  

The black and white view that Ballard would do this or that early in the draft is and always was ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Maybe, who knows.  

The black and white view that Ballard would do this or that early in the draft is and always was ridiculous.

Yeah. I think Ballard has proven that he will take any player that improves the team, regardless of position, at any spot in the draft. It’s one of the qualities I like most about him. He doesn’t seem to use a positional value system. 

13 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I am not sure about this “West side vs East side” thing going on. I haven’t been around much. But did you watch the Jim Irsay presser?

It’s not hard to read between the lines. I think it’s reasonably obvious that Hollywood was our target and that the Ravens took him right in front of us. 

And the ravens probably  won't  use him right

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He passed at pick 26.

He passed at pick 34.

He passed at pick 46.

A second round pick is early. and it's substantial draft capital. 

And like the above says, they might have been looking at one earlier. 

You can't spin this one away. You can have a hundred picks in the second round, any pick in the second round is "early" and a significant investment with significant expectation.

It's just like one of "your side" said "Belichick would never", and he ended up taking one in the first. And as you know, 1st and 2nd have always been described as early. 3-5 middle, and 6-7 late. Some even describe 3rd as early.

I was also on record if you recall saying i didn't want a WR in the 1st, and that I wanted one either at 34 or 59. And 59 it was...

1 minute ago, LockeDown said:

Maybe we were but, that means the Ravens knew who we wanted and there are certainly no leaks in Ballard’s front office.  

Not necessarily. They probably felt they could move back to 25 and still get their guy. It’s a risk for any team to take. They picked up some draft capital and presumably still got their guy. 

49 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He passed at pick 26.

He passed at pick 34.

He passed at pick 46.

He was too busy picking other positions you said he wouldn't. Never have I met a quicker learner. 

1 hour ago, wig said:

He was too busy picking other positions you said he wouldn't. Never have I met a quicker learner. 

What other positions?

Seriously, this obsession is getting old.  You don’t even seem to know what I say or believe.   You made that pretty clear last night.   I get it.  You’re not a fan.   I’ll get over it.

You need to develope a hobby.   Isn’t there a busy freeway for you to play on?! 

3 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I heard one of the draft commentators (don't remember who) said the word was that Darnell Savage Jr. -S was who the Colts wanted and one of the last 1st rnd talents on their board, and GB suspected that and that's why they traded up to get him when they did.

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

A second round pick is early. and it's substantial draft capital. 

And like the above says, they might have been looking at one earlier. 

You can't spin this one away. You can have a hundred picks in the second round, any pick in the second round is "early" and a significant investment with significant expectation.

It's just like one of "your side" said "Belichick would never", and he ended up taking one in the first. And as you know, 1st and 2nd have always been described as early. 3-5 middle, and 6-7 late. Some even describe 3rd as early.

I was also on record if you recall saying i didn't want a WR in the 1st, and that I wanted one either at 34 or 59. And 59 it was...

Spin What?!?

I wanted a WR at pick 59 too.   I was glad it came.    But Ballard passed THREE TIMES and went defense the other two.   I don’t have to spin anything.   YOU’RE the one who is spinning, not me.

If Ballard only had one pick in each round, he prioritized your position non higher than third.   You lose again!

And again...  just two WR picks in the entire first round.   You can keep spitting into the wind and telling yourself that moisture is rain, but it’s not.    You’re losing, even if you think otherwise.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Spin What?!?

I wanted a WR at pick 59 too.   I was glad it came.    But Ballard passed THREE TIMES and went defense the other two.   I don’t have to spin anything.   YOU’RE the one who is spinning, not me.

If Ballard only had one pick in each round, he prioritized your position non higher than third.   You lose again!

And again...  just two WR picks in the entire first round.   You can keep spitting into the wind and telling yourself that moisture is rain, but it’s not.    You’re losing, even if you think otherwise.

this is simple.

is a 2nd round pick early, and substantial draft capital? the answer is yes on both counts.

and you have zero clue what the plan was. there were a ton of WRs left at 34 and 46, so why wouldn't you prioritize others if you feel they might not be there. WR as noted was going to be very deep in the 2nd and 3rd.

and yes, only two were picked. one was picked by the smartest GM/Coach ever... what does that say about WRs in the 1st?

are you still upset about WR study lacking comparative data, definition, or accounting for standard/simple things like injury?   

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Spin What?!?

It sounds like this feud has been going on for a while between the two of you. I’ll freely admit that I don’t know the history between you two. Honestly, I don’t care to know the details. 

That said, it does appear that you are on the wrong side of this argument and digging your heels in on top of it. 

Over the past couple of years you were against taking an interior offensive lineman early, against taking linebackers until the mid to later rounds, and this year you were against taking a corner or receiver early. I disagreed with you on all of those things, and so has Chris Ballard. 

You’ve admitted that you place positional value on players, and it’s clear that Ballard does not. 

Not attacking you. Just describing the facts that I know. Maybe there is more history between you two that I am missing though. 

• Like 1

I highly doubt that's who Ballard was after. I also am willing to bet Jacobs was never an option in the first. The guy he wanted was Savage. And with Savage gone he had to go his next tier which had plenty so that means trade down. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He passed at pick 26.

He passed at pick 34.

He passed at pick 46.

Yep.  And he drafted the best receiver of the draft.    Perfect fit 

5 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

I highly doubt that's who Ballard was after. I also am willing to bet Jacobs was never an option in the first. The guy he wanted was Savage. And with Savage gone he had to go his next tier which had plenty so that means trade down. 

Both "could be" true. All we can do is speculate.

He could have had Savage and Marquise Brown as his last 1st round rated players and he wasn't drafting just for the position, he was going based on his board and once his last 1st round rated player came off the board, it is very possible that he felt that the best he could do then was gain more picks??