Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"Colts Productions"

Superman

Reaction to Episode Two:

Flat out great!   But it should be.  You have almost unlimited access, it would be hard to put out a poor product unless you’ve didnt know what you were doing, and the production team clearly knows what they are doing!

Favorite quote:  Ballard, toward the end of the Senior Bowl section says this...  “This guy may be a better player, but that guy may have higher grades with character and medical and checks ALL the boxes so he’ll be higher on our board.”   

This should get pinned to the top of the Colts page and the top of the Draft page.   It’ll help the next time some poster writes “why did we draft player X when player Z is clearly so much better?”

Least Favorite quote:  Ed Dodd, also in the Senior Bowl section.

Paraphrasing:  “In order to get better we have to work harder.  We have to out work the next guy.”

So,  that’s a Big Cliche.  There are 32 teams and EVERYONE thinks they’re working hard.  They’re sacrificing time away from families.  They’re on the road an obscene amount of time.   Everyone is working really hard.   But the winners are working SMARTER.   They’re doing different things, making better decisions.   Working smarter and not just harder is what separates the teams whose season ends in December and those teams who play in January and February.   Guys like Brian Decker who does our psych profiles on our players. 

Now, to defend Dodds, he can’t say that ON CAMERA.  He can’t say we’re smarter than the other guys.  That’ll get out and won’t be received well around the league.  So I’m not blaming Dodds, only explaing why his sound bite didn’t work for me. 

Two weeks in and I can’t wait for more!      :thmup:

:colts:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Seems like more work is put into eliminating players they don't want instead of players they do want. That is a little different than I thought things were done.

You’re basing your comment based on a small sliver of what they show you.   They’re not showing you everything.  You’re reading too much into too little.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’re basing your comment based on a small sliver of what they show you.   They’re not showing you everything.  You’re reading too much into too little.

No I don't feel I am reading too much into it at all.

If you look at the sheer number of players they start with it's not surprising there is more effort in eliminating players down to 300 players or so.

Now once their numbers are down to that 300 or so players I'm sure things get kicked into overdrive.

No they are not showing us all but they are showing the process.  

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

No I don't feel I am reading too much into it at all.

If you look at the sheer number of players they start with it's not surprising there is more effort in eliminating players down to 300 players or so.

Now once their numbers are down to that 300 or so players I'm sure things get kicked into overdrive.

No they are not showing us all but they are showing the process.  

Ok....

Let me see see if I can’t put this another way...   and I’m sorry I didn’t put it this way to begin with...

Ballard and Dodds and Hogan and Decker and the Scouts and everyone else have literally met and had hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours of meetings.   The Colts production team has likely only been able to shoot a number of hours in the several dozens...    of those several dozen hours, they have edited  material down to 5-8 minutes of tape in each segment with most sound bites lasting 5-15 seconds.    So you’re only seeing a tiny sliver of the entire process and only a slightly larger sliver of the material that was shot.    That’s it.

On some level, you’re right.   Ballard says they start the process with 1800 players....   and by the end they get down to roughly 150 give or take.   But when you’re only seeing a 5-10 minute segment I always caution against reading too much into anything.   Really, that’s all...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok....

Let me see see if I can’t put this another way...   and I’m sorry I didn’t put it this way to begin with...

Ballard and Dodds and Hogan and Decker and the Scouts and everyone else have literally met and had hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours of meetings.   The Colts production team has likely only been able to shoot a number of hours in the several dozens...    of those several dozen hours, they have edited  material down to 5-8 minutes of tape in each segment with most sound bites lasting 5-15 seconds.    So you’re only seeing a tiny sliver of the entire process and only a slightly larger sliver of the material that was shot.    That’s it.

On some level, you’re right.   Ballard says they start the process with 1800 players....   and by the end they get down to roughly 150 give or take.   But when you’re only seeing a 5-10 minute segment I always caution against reading too much into anything.   Really, that’s all...

Fair enough for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree with the bolded.

I don't know if it has a direct bearing on how much time and effort the spend getting down to 300-ish. I expect that the process of eliminating 1500 would-be prospects from the draft board is pretty easy. I think that number Ballard gave represents everyone that's draft eligible. Most of those guys aren't good enough to be on NFL rosters, but the scouts have been watching them in college for four years and have at least some kind of report on them. (I've heard guys like Bucky Brooks and Daniel Jeremiah talk about being required to have at least the basics on those guys -- HWS, and a basic grade.)

Then I would imagine there are fringe guys who might make a roster somewhere, but don't have the traits the team wants, and don't have the talent to be worth a roster spot. Let's say a squatty ILB with short arms, who doesn't run well, but maybe plays hard and had a lot of tackles. He might make someone's roster, but for a team that values length and speed at linebacker, he won't be on their final board. Or a tough interior OL with limited movement skills, for a team that pulls guards or runs zone schemes; he won't be on their board.

I think those are easy enough decisions, and while it might be time consuming to go through the names and cross them off, it's probably not too difficult to go from 1800 to 300-ish. Area scouts aren't going to stand on the table during the pre-draft process for fringe guys like that.

Then, like you say, they kick into overdrive to cut that number in half. I think that's going to represent 95% of the work that goes into the draft day board of 150-ish players.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I agree with the bolded.

I don't know if it has a direct bearing on how much time and effort the spend getting down to 300-ish. I expect that the process of eliminating 1500 would-be prospects from the draft board is pretty easy. I think that number Ballard gave represents everyone that's draft eligible. Most of those guys aren't good enough to be on NFL rosters, but the scouts have been watching them in college for four years and have at least some kind of report on them. (I've heard guys like Bucky Brooks and Daniel Jeremiah talk about being required to have at least the basics on those guys -- HWS, and a basic grade.)

Then I would imagine there are fringe guys who might make a roster somewhere, but don't have the traits the team wants, and don't have the talent to be worth a roster spot. Let's say a squatty ILB with short arms, who doesn't run well, but maybe plays hard and had a lot of tackles. He might make someone's roster, but for a team that values length and speed at linebacker, he won't be on their final board. Or a tough interior OL with limited movement skills, for a team that pulls guards or runs zone schemes; he won't be on their board.

I think those are easy enough decisions, and while it might be time consuming to go through the names and cross them off, it's probably not too difficult to go from 1800 to 300-ish. Area scouts aren't going to stand on the table during the pre-draft process for fringe guys like that.

Then, like you say, they kick into overdrive to cut that number in half. I think that's going to represent 95% of the work that goes into the draft day board of 150-ish players.

My comment came from what was said on how many weeks with 12+ hours days watching film. I am not sure how many scouts worked that kind of schedule but you have to account these guys are working year round. The time and effort put in to make the list of what you call those easy decisions. I take into consideration all the travel time too.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

My comment came from what was said on how many weeks with 12+ hours days watching film. I am not sure how many scouts worked that kind of schedule but you have to account these guys are working year round. The time and effort put in to make the list of what you call those easy decisions. I take into consideration all the travel time too.

Yeah, including the year round work, there's a ton of time spent on the hundreds of players that don't wind up on the board. I was more focusing on the intensive 3-4 month lead up to the draft.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, including the year round work, there's a ton of time spent on the hundreds of players that don't wind up on the board. I was more focusing on the intensive 3-4 month lead up to the draft.

After seeing the segment at Ruth's Chris's and how many people are involved put a little different perspective on the process for me. When you see all those people gathered instead of reading a list, it was eye opening for me.

On a side thought : I bet Irsay's tab was pretty high. haha

• Like 3

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Exactly, everything we are hearing is out of context for a reason. They're not going to give us very much but still entertaining. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Superman said:

I agree with the bolded.

I often liken the draft to the ultimate beauty pagent.   

So, when cutting down from 1800 to....  whatever number,  it's not hard to figure out who is Miss California,  Miss Texas,  Miss Florida.....     and who is Miss Montana.     Some things are just.....  well.....    pretty obvious....

Where it gets really tough (as you know) is lining up the final 150 or so....    that's where people make or break their draft....

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So, when cutting down from 1800 to....  whatever number,  it's not hard to figure out who is Miss California,  Miss Texas,  Miss Florida.....     and who is Miss Montana.     Some things are just.....  well.....    pretty obvious....

You just reminded me of the audition process for a show like American Idol. Nine thousand people show up to the local tryout, 20 go to Hollywood. It's not hard to figure out the people who have no chance, who aren't gonna make it. Figuring out who from those 20 are going to make it to the actual show is a tougher process.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

You just reminded me of the audition process for a show like American Idol. Nine thousand people show up to the local tryout, 20 go to Hollywood. It's not hard to figure out the people who have no chance, who aren't gonna make it. Figuring out who from those 20 are going to make it to the actual show is a tougher process.

If I had to do a cut down of 1800 posters to say the top 300, I'd have you and Sup in the top 300, no doubt!  Now, can you make the top twenty? We'll find out .... after a word from our sponsors!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

If I had to do a cut down of 1800 posters to say the top 300, I'd have you and Sup in the top 300, no doubt!  Now, can you make the top twenty? We'll find out .... after a word from our sponsors!

Heck some would do a double NO/Ditka and trade two draft years for Sup.

• Like 2

I hadn't read much about this film series before it was out.  It was very enjoyable.  I understand that they can't give us too much specific information regarding the process itself (as explained in earlier posts) but it still had the FEEL of a truly inside look.  If nothing else, it validated the level of confidence I've felt in the front office since Ballard arrived.  This series is great for everyone involved.  Happy to be a part of the community.

• Like 1

Latest episode; when they panned around the room of the dinner, I was surprised at the number of people involved in the process for the Colts.

Second, when Ballard got into his speech, in the background Frank is sitting there nodding in affirmation like a wise old owl... "yeah boss, you tell them boss,  I'm with you boss!" LOL 

I'm loving how this franchise is operating these days, including fan outreach.  Looking to the future with great optimism.

Teams really prepare for the draft, but now days the best also prepare for the worst case scenarios.  This is the story of the 1996 New York football Giants draft fail (full article)-

https://tinyurl.com/y6q28lnr

It's a great article on how bad things can go (even in the 1st round)_ if a team does not perform Full scouting due diligence (including medical, ) or prepare for worst case scenario.

This points out my interest in full mocks, like the one members here just completed and the v 2.0 ongoing.  Run enough of them (trying to be real for each team) and you can find the 'worst case scenario' for your team, and have already constructed plan B and plan C for draft day if necessary.

IE: Team targeted a group of certain players, but possibly none fall to them and the group of players after that are not worthy of the lofty draft slot.  So maybe before the draft contact other teams to set up possible trade back deals, etc.

I like the way it appears the Colts approaching the process.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What made it funny is Luck is known to point out architecture and things on trips. Even Nelson said sometimes he wants to say shut up nerd.  Luck is a nerd and the video was totally him. Even the end when he picks up the cards.

Sorry, there's a difference between acting nerdy and being stupid/lame.

I guess I'm just getting too old to appreciate melinial humor...

just like ad's that insult my intelligence.

p.s. I was 10 yrs. old when the Colts won their first World Championship, you do the math..

I'm Old and I the Way! LOL