Jump to content
CR91

Shane Ray visiting the colts

Recommended Posts

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I have no idea who this is. I will be interested what others think.

 

Hes a former first round pick for the broncos. Imo, he didn't really get a fair shot in denver. He has potential

  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I have no idea who this is. I will be interested what others think.

Shane Ray is a former First round pick that never really planned out in Denver. And when they added Chubb that pretty much killed his chances of remaining with the team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would prefer Shane Ray to Aaron Lynch. Would be a nice signing. 

 

I've been trying to tell people Sheard very well could be cut, especially if we sign another DE. If we add another one in the draft as well, we will have to cut somebody on the outside. 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

 

I like the move if he can stay healthy (injuries were always his Achilles heel). I think he has the ability to come in and be added to the rotation as a pass rusher he has the tools. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Colts1324 said:

I would prefer Shane Ray to Aaron Lynch. Would be a nice signing. 

 

I've been trying to tell people Sheard very well could be cut, especially if we sign another DE. If we add another one in the draft as well, we will have to cut somebody on the outside. 

I don’t think Sheard will be cut , his ability to play the run and set the edge makes him an absolute commodity here.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I would prefer Shane Ray to Aaron Lynch. Would be a nice signing. 

 

I've been trying to tell people Sheard very well could be cut, especially if we sign another DE. If we add another one in the draft as well, we will have to cut somebody on the outside. 

Very well could be after his contact is up.

 

 

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is kind of interesting to say the least.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Very well could be after his contact is up.

 

 

 

if his contract is up, we wouldn't be cutting him... he'd be a UFA

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Hes a former first round pick for the broncos. Imo, he didn't really get a fair shot in denver. He has potential

Agreed injuries always hindered him. The argument against him by broncos fans were if you couldn’t win opposite of Von Miller than you’re no good. But he rarely was ever 100% healthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy is only 25. That is some nice linf term potential if he was injury free and played well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

this is kind of interesting to say the least.

if his contract is up, we wouldn't be cutting him... he'd be a UFA

I know I realized I said that after I posted it. I meant we might not te sign him after it’s up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Ehh, never been a fan of Ray. Injuries and a marginal athlete for the position.

Maybe the colts scheme will fit him better. Didn’t Denver play a 3-4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Maybe the colts scheme will fit him better. Didn’t Denver play a 3-4.

 

Yes, they ran a 3-4 with wade phillips

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I figured we'd see that name at some point. Wondering whether they see him as a Sam LB or a DE? He was a 4/3 DE at missouri but it wouldn't surprise me if they see him as a LB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uhm, what is up with Ballard bringing in OLB’s from 3-4 to our 4-3 when he shipped Simon out last year.... 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ballard is very good at taking other teams misfits and turning them into stars. We could quickly be very loaded at DE. Which will free us up in the draft. Maybe even to possibly move back and get more picks if the the guy we want is not there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Uhm, what is up with Ballard bringing in OLB’s from 3-4 to our 4-3 when he shipped Simon out last year.... 

They may see him as a LB. He was a LB in Denver.   Justin Houston is built like a 4-3 DE anyway, has always had good strength and flexibility. He could thrive in either scheme.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, krunk said:

They may see him as a LB. He was a LB in Denver.   Justin Houston is built like a 4-3 DE anyway

 Good point... You’re right about Houston...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Uhm, what is up with Ballard bringing in OLB’s from 3-4 to our 4-3 when he shipped Simon out last year.... 

A lot of the ones, such as Ray, that fail in a 3-4, usually do better in a 4-3.  3-4 LBs are very very hard to find good ones.  They're a unique set.  Simon was cut because, at least i believe, just like Hankins, was due to the player expressing no desire to change over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, krunk said:

I figured we'd see that name at some point. Wondering whether they see him as a Sam LB or a DE? He was a 4/3 DE at missouri but it wouldn't surprise me if they see him as a LB.

Wondering the same thing is he still in the 240 range seems pretty small to play DE in out scheme unless there looking for a situational pass rusher .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, B~Town said:

Wondering the same thing is he still in the 240 range seems pretty small to play DE in out scheme unless there looking for a situational pass rusher .

May draft not first round if he is added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard is very good at taking other teams misfits and turning them into stars. We could quickly be very loaded at DE. Which will free us up in the draft. Maybe even to possibly move back and get more picks if the the guy we want is not there.

 

wouldn't call him a misfit. Had a great second year in 2016. he simply was uber plagued by wrist injury in 2017/2018.

 

Just now, krunk said:

They may see him as a LB. He was a LB in Denver.   Justin Houston is built like a 4-3 DE anyway

 

he played olb like Houston (scheme wise). he's a couple inches shorter than Turay, but less than 10lbs lighter. He'll play DE IMO.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

A lot of the ones, such as Ray, that fail in a 3-4, usually do better in a 4-3.  3-4 LBs are very very hard to find good ones.  They're a unique set.  Simon was cut because, at least i believe, just like Hankins, was due to the player expressing no desire to change over.

Ray didn't fail. He had a fantastic year 2 with Denver in 2016, and was injured 2017/2018 and had multiple surgeries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

 

wouldn't call him a misfit. Had a great second year in 2016. he simply was uber plagued by wrist injury in 2017/2018.

 

 

he played olb like Houston (scheme wise). he's a couple inches shorter than Turay, but less than 10lbs lighter. He'll play DE IMO.  

By misfit I just meant that teams who have given up on players we seem to take them and turn them into stars.

 

Sounds like this guy has some potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible we are looking to do some looks in the "4-3 under" formation that the Seahawks have been known to use?

Seems like itd be beneficial to put Leonard in better position to do his thing. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shane Ray plays with the type of toughness and effort Ballard likes I will say that.  Just don't know about reliability due to the injuries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Ray didn't fail. He had a fantastic year 2 with Denver in 2016, and was injured 2017/2018 and had multiple surgeries. 

I was speaking generally, not just about him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 sacks in 16 games in 2016 but 2 sacks over the last 2 seasons with 19 games played.  The potential and skill set is there.  If anyone is curious about his size, he's 6'3" 245 lb.  Which is a bit small for DE but if he added around 10-15 lb he could. 

 

Colts DE Measurements: 

Turay - 6'5" 253 lb 

Sheard - 6'3" 265 lb 

Houston - 6'3" 258 lb 

Lewis - 6'3" 266 lb

Muhammed - 6'4" 253 lb  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Ballard is try to find guys who can put relentless pressure on QBs. When one guy gets tired the next guy is fresh. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Ray is finally healthy (big if), I'd happily take him or Lynch as depth. Both have high upsides if they can get past their issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

I think Ballard is try to find guys who can put relentless pressure on QBs. When one guy gets tired the next guy is fresh. 

I believe he said he wanted ten that could rush. Lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I have no idea who this is. I will be interested what others think.

he was alright for the broncos, but he never really got a shot in Denver. I think he could be good in the Colts defense, and given a fair amount of playing time in Indy. Hope we sign him. prefer him over Lynch. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I believe he said he wanted ten that could rush. Lol

In today's football that's what you gotta do. Get after the QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got 90 men going into camp.  Sign him and see if he can cut it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he is another case of a team trying to make him a LB instead of leaving him in his natural DE role.  A former 1st. rd. pick going back to his natural position.   I don't believe his injuries were major ones like ACL but I could be wrong.  I really like this visit.  Hope we sign him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, richard pallo said:

I think he is another case of a team trying to make him a LB instead of leaving him in his natural DE role.  A former 1st. rd. pick going back to his natural position.   I don't believe his injuries were major ones like ACL but I could be wrong.  I really like this visit.  Hope we sign him. 

Multiple wrist surgeries.  You need your wrists if you're going to rush the passer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...