Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shane Ray visiting the colts

I'd be alright with this because Houston has durability issues as well. One of Houston/Ray would probably be bound to miss some time at some point in the season. If they both got hurt, well, whatever hah

Still skeptical he'll every really be healthy long term though.

• Like 1

Why not? 

Polian loved the guy.  Thought he was the next Mathis.  Let Mathis work with him and see what happens.

You're not looking at the guy as a savior.  It's good to take a chance on a reclamation project here and there.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Did a quick Google on him, looks like you’re right. I’m warning a bit up on him now. :ninja:

I wouldn't warm up on him too much until we find out about the long term outlook of his hand lol. If healthy, and we can get a favorable contract ($ and years), then I'd be more than happy. 

• Like 1

From the comment section of an article on ProFootballRumors.com "“Colts Meet With Shane Ray” >>>>> 

JJB0811 • 10 mins ago

So the Colts prefer to spend sensible money on rotational players rather than play the lottery and hope a good player will play all season? Smart decision. Depth will always prevail in the league.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

From the comment section of an article on ProFootballRumors.com "“Colts Meet With Shane Ray” >>>>> 

JJB0811 • 10 mins ago

So the Colts prefer to spend sensible money on rotational players rather than play the lottery and hope a good player will play all season? Smart decision. Depth will always prevail in the league.

I call this "The Ballard way of thinking ".

1 hour ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Is it possible we are looking to do some looks in the "4-3 under" formation that the Seahawks have been known to use?

Seems like itd be beneficial to put Leonard in better position to do his thing. 

Very good observation.

I am not sure I will like this move unless he'll come for a veteran minimum to compete for a roster spot with Muhammad and others. Assuming he signs, this would be the current depth chart, in no particular order, assuming that Lewis will move to 3tech

edge: Houston, Sheard, Turay, Ray and Muhammad

interior: Stewart (NT), Autry, Hunt, Lewis,  Ward.

These are already 10 guys, and I left Ridgeway and likes out already. What if Ballard will draft another DL or edge in the first/second round? What if he'll draft both?

Instead of signing a guy like Ray, I prefer to draft a top DL/ED instead, who have the potential to become elite players eventually. Ray will never become elite. And i'd let guys like Ward and Muhammad stay as depth. They showed more than enough last year to get their chances.

2 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I would prefer Shane Ray to Aaron Lynch. Would be a nice signing. 

I've been trying to tell people Sheard very well could be cut, especially if we sign another DE. If we add another one in the draft as well, we will have to cut somebody on the outside. 

Was thinking similar. Many are clamoring for edge, dl, and more edge help via fa and draft. How do we fit all of these guys onto the roster? 

9 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

I am not sure I will like this move unless he'll come for a veteran minimum to compete for a roster spot with Muhammad and others. Assuming he signs, this would be the current depth chart, in no particular order, assuming that Lewis will move to 3tech

edge: Houston, Sheard, Turay, Ray and Muhammad

interior: Stewart (NT), Autry, Hunt, Lewis,  Ward.

These are already 10 guys, and I left Ridgeway and likes out already. What if Ballard will draft another DL or edge in the first/second round? What if he'll draft both?

Instead of signing a guy like Ray, I prefer to draft a top DL/ED instead, who have the potential to become elite players eventually. Ray will never become elite. And i'd let guys like Ward and Muhammad stay as depth. They showed more than enough last year to get their chances.

So, you're afraid we won't need our draft choices?        :)

2 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I've been trying to tell people Sheard very well could be cut, especially if we sign another DE. If we add another one in the draft as well, we will have to cut somebody on the outside. 

I see your point 

33 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If we sign him Ballard is very quietly making this team so much better. It kind of makes me laugh because of the anger of not signing FA.

I agree.  I know games aren't won or lost on paper, but by the start of the season, we're going to look at the roster and be absolutely stunned at what Ballard has done in just over 2 years.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TonyBungee said:

I agree.  I know games aren't won or lost on paper, but by the start of the season, we're going to look at the roster and be absolutely stunned at what Ballard has done in just over 2 years.

By the start of the season, Ballard’s remodel will be 3-years old,  not two.

17, 18, and 19...    three free agency periods...    three drafts...

5 minutes ago, TonyBungee said:

I know there is a possibility some won’t work out. But right now with Ballard’s history I am going to say he is excellent at taking players that were thrown aside by other teams and making them stars. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

By the start of the season, Ballard’s remodel will be 3-years old,  not two.

17, 18, and 19...    three free agency periods...    three drafts...

Good point. But in real time, he won't celebrate his 3rd Anniversary with the Colts until the end of next January (just as the Colts are preparing for their 19th game). : )

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard is very good at taking other teams misfits and turning them into stars. We could quickly be very loaded at DE. Which will free us up in the draft. Maybe even to possibly move back and get more picks if the the guy we want is not there.

This is what the Raiders used to do 40 years ago when they were good.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yes but really you can’t count 17. Pagono was still coach. I say 2018 was his first real first year.

Sorry....  but no...   those 17 draft picks and free agent signings are still on the roster...    They count.

When Ballard was hired he said it would take roughly three years to re-do the roster..    he didn’t say it after Pags was fired...   

Things should get interesting for the Colts next winter and spring...

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry....  but no...   those 17 draft picks and free agent signings are still on the roster...    They count.

When Ballard was hired he said it would take roughly three years to re-do the roster..    he didn’t say it after Pags was fired...   

Things should get interesting for the Colts next winter and spring...

I understand that. I am just saying 18 was the first year he had the coach and everything he wanted. I don’t think it can be understated how Reich and Ballard are on the same page and work so well together. I also understand there are players from 17 that are playing very well.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I understand that. I am just saying 18 was the first year he had the coach and everything he wanted. I don’t think it can be understated how Reich and Ballard are on the same page and work so well together. I also understand there are players from 17 that are playing very well.

We’re only talking about the roster, not about the coach or his staff or anything else.  

Ballard signed on knowing he wouldn’t  have his HC of choice and everything else until 2018.   

But the clock started on the roster rebuild in the winter of 2017.....

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We’re only talking about the roster, not about the coach or his staff or anything else.  

Ballard signed on knowing he wouldn’t  have his HC of choice and everything else until 2018.   

But the clock started on the roster rebuild in the winter of 2017.....

True, but it is feasible that Jim asked Ballard to work with Pagano as far as what he needs to see if he would be the guy moving forward....so the players he chose in his first draft and FA...might not all have been his long term plan. I will say, however, that his "culture" started day one...because even if he did take Coach Pagano's wants into some of his consideration, the culture is the same regardless. 

4 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Yup.   Lewis can play outside, probably just as stoutly against the run and can get just as almost-to the QB as Sheard does.  And then there's Turay who will be given time to develop.  

I think Houston and Ray can each get to the QB better than Sheard.

• Like 1