Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One Day Until Jarrett a real Option....

The Falcons have to either tag (they most likely can't) Jarrett, or sign him to a new deal, (the option they are attempting) or he's a viable option for the rest of the league, and one I would think would immediately be at the forefront of CB's list...  

Solid guy, underrated, no baggage that I know of, great performer....  I'd love him in the middle of the DL....  

• Like 1

I think Jarrett fits the profile of the outside FA Ballard always talks about though....

Jarrett would be the young guy, who performs at a high level, is a good locker room presence....

I know he'd cost a ton, but I think he checks all the boxes CB mentions repeatedly....  If you don't pay for a guy like Jarrett, you won't pay for anyone I think.... either way, we'll soon see!

Also, had we drafted him in the first place, we'd still be in line to pay him big cash this year...  ; )  time to right that wrong!!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

Landon Collins and Grady Jarrett are two players to watch for in the next 24 hours.

These are my top two guys. If we could add a Trey Flowers or another edge rusher to the list, that would be a dream offseason in my opinion.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

Landon Collins and Grady Jarrett are two players to watch for in the next 24 hours. Sign Jarrett, pair him with someone like Simmons or Wilkins and you have a solid interior DL. 

Jarrett, Simmons and Wilkins all play the same position.   The 3-Tech.   None are a nose tackle to be paired with.

3 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Should have drafted him in the first place. He's going to get a large contract, not sure if Ballard is into that.

We're not sure if Ballard is into any large contracts.  Hopefully we will have a chance to find out soon.   Jarett would be a perfect fit and test.  

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Just want to add that even if they don't tag him, they still have a week to reach a deal with him before the legal tampering period opens.

Do we have enough cap space to sign Jarrett and Flowers? If we could pull that off and maybe get Amos.... that would be quite a FA haul.

3 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

Do we have enough cap space to sign Jarrett and Flowers? If we could pull that off and maybe get Amos.... that would be quite a FA haul.

Easily. I'd take all three if they hit free agency. Jarrett likely won't, good chance Flowers does but it sounds like he's promised to the Dolphins, and I don't have a good read on what happens with Amos but I've liked him since he was at Penn State.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

We're not sure if Ballard is into any large contracts.  Hopefully we will have a chance to find out soon.   Jarett would be a perfect fit and test.  

A reminder... 

A year ago, the Colts were a finalist for both Norwell and Jensen.   So Ballard offered 10 mill-plus to both and were simply outbid.    So I don’t think he’s afraid to spend, but it has to be the right guy.

I expect Ballard to offer 10 mill plus on a FA WR and a FA DE like Smith from Baltimore or Smith from Wash.   players like that.   One on each side of the ball.

I just don’t see him spending more than about 12 mill per for anyone.   So guys who want 13-17 per will be out of our reach,  IMO.  

6 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

The Falcons have to either tag (they most likely can't) Jarrett, or sign him to a new deal, (the option they are attempting) or he's a viable option for the rest of the league, and one I would think would immediately be at the forefront of CB's list...  

Solid guy, underrated, no baggage that I know of, great performer....  I'd love him in the middle of the DL....  

Don't worry because it's likely not happening.  Arthur Blank said he was very confident they'd get a deal done.   I believe him.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, krunk said:

Don't worry because it's likely not happening.  Arthur Blank said he was very confident they'd get a deal done.   I believe him.

I do too....but IF he does hit the market I'm sure Ballard has Jarrets agent on speed dial.

33 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

A reminder... 

A year ago, the Colts were a finalist for both Norwell and Jensen.   So Ballard offered 10 mill-plus to both and were simply outbid.    So I don’t think he’s afraid to spend, but it has to be the right guy.

I expect Ballard to offer 10 mill plus on a FA WR and a FA DE like Smith from Baltimore or Smith from Wash.   players like that.   One on each side of the ball.

I just don’t see him spending more than about 12 mill per for anyone.   So guys who want 13-17 per will be out of our reach,  IMO.  

Maybe

Last year we were not one player away from getting to a SB..... 

Even 3-4 FA weren't going to get us there

This year, Garret and Collins And some health MIGHT be enough to get us there......

AND still have a pile of  $$ left over for future contracts

Both are young, both are great players, both seem like leaders (I know less about Garrett)...... both seem to fit the CB mold

Luck may be 1/3rd through his career.........  you have to grab a shot if its truly in reach

AND..... it doesnt put your team in cap hell.... it wont

It will be an interesting 8 weeks

1 hour ago, pacolts56 said:

I don't see Ballard matching what, based on reports, Miami seems ready to pay a Flowers.

Our best chances to get an impact player are probably one of the receivers or Collins, if he's not franchised.  Everyone else will be franchised or re-signed.

Of course Ballard will end up signing 3-4 players no one is taking about, which is fine.  It's worked out so far.

8 minutes ago, #12. said:

Of course Ballard will end up signing 3-4 players no one is taking about, which is fine.  It's worked out so far.

This is true.......

I would still like Collins to go with whatever other FAs we swoop up

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A reminder... 

So with all of our cap space he won't go hard for Flowers now that all of the premier ER's are tagged?  He will surely want 13-17m.  Last year no one thought we were legitimate contenders so I could see him being careful.  This year it's entirely different.  If Flowers is better than the Smith's I would hope he would make more than a token effort to sign him.  Collins as well.  Maybe these guys are the right guys.  We will find out soon. 

Well, so much for Jarrett. I suspect they will sign him though, and avoid the disruptive franchise tag drama.  

I DO agree with those who suggest there is a limit to what Ballard will pay. He just won't get crazy and pay a guy like Flowers ( who I really like ) $15m per year. But I could see him paying Humphries $10m per year, and one of the other FA Edge rushers the same. They can afford it, and a few impact FAs have to be part of this rebuild. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Well, so much for Jarrett. I suspect they will sign him though, and avoid the disruptive franchise tag drama.  

I DO agree with those who suggest there is a limit to what Ballard will pay. He just won't get crazy and pay a guy like Flowers ( who I really like ) $15m per year. But I could see him paying Humphries $10m per year, and one of the other FA Edge rushers the same. They can afford it, and a few impact FAs have to be part of this rebuild. 

Next year 15m will seem like a bargain for a young ER like Flowers IMO.