Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Did We Sign Robert Mathis?

oldunclemark

Can he be that?

That productive? I doubt many can. Can he play that role? I think so. If I recall, the team talked of moving him to linebacker when he was just an ST demon. They really liked his speed and athleticism. I don't think he's lost too much of that, and asking him to rush the passer out of that position would make such a transition even more natural.

I'll never give a certainty, but I'm confident Mathis has the ability to fill the role.

Because he's a good player, and he agreed to a reasonable contract. Why wouldn't we resign him?

By the way, we didn't cut the other players because they were too costly. We cut them because they weren't producing at a level commensurate with their salaries, and because they missed a significant amount of time the past two years.

Becuase he's not stubborn and still has a good amoiunt of good years left. Also, the 3-4 OLB seems like a good spot for him. I just think that he's a great consistent player, he's comfortable here, and we know he won't kill us against the cap like Freeney is currently killing us. He's more reasonable than Freeney making him an easier sign than Freeney. He actually seems to like it here with or without Peyton.

Because he's a good player, and he agreed to a reasonable contract. Why wouldn't we resign him?

By the way, we didn't cut the other players because they were too costly. We cut them because they weren't producing at a level commensurate with their salaries, and because they missed a significant amount of time the past two years.

because he's 31,..and his position is being eliminated...

he is changing positions...to a more athletically demandng position as he's getting older

..and by even the most optimistic projections..

by the time we are ready to be even a playoff team again..he'll be 34 or 35...

I dont get it.

Does anybody believe that Robert will be starting for us at OLB at age 34?

We signed Mathis..who's 31 to a 4-year deal??

...but we cut 6 other vets..because they were too costly

and by the time we're rebuilt, they'll be gone anyway..

...even though Mathis position must change to OLB...

I dont have even a theory.

Why did we do this?

Pagano knows. Trust him.

What ever the reason, it seems like anyone with a contract up should have just moved on.

I totally agree..

I love the way Robert plays...but the same logic we used to cut Clark and Manning and trade (eventually) Freeney

would seem to be at odds with signing a 31-year -old who is changing positions..

Portage., you may be right.

because he's 31,..and his position is being eliminated...

His position isn't being eliminated, because we're running a hybrid defense. Even if he only plays 4-3 end, he'll still have snaps, at least 25 a game. And that's assuming he would only play 4-3 end.

he is changing positions...to a more athletically demandng position as he's getting older

He's not changing positions, he's going to continue playing end. He'll just be playing stand-up rusher in addition.

And why do you think that stand-up rusher is a more demanding position than end? He's not going to be dropping into coverage with any regularity, if at all. It's not more demanding, it's just different. And Mathis is a world class athlete. He'll be just fine, even at 31 (which isn't that old).

..and by even the most optimistic projections..

by the time we are ready to be even a playoff team again..he'll be 34 or 35...

I dont get it.

Does anybody believe that Robert will be starting for us at OLB at age 34?

That's not an optimistic projection at all.

Because he is a game wrecker. No one in the game today, and for much of the past has had such an uncanny ability to sack the QB, strip the ball, and in many cases, recover it himself. In addition, his size and speed lend itself to play in either a 4/3 or a 3/4.

It seems like you keep seeking angles to show why the latest moves were mistakes and many come to explain them for you. I am not coming down on you, but I truly want to know...are you really wanting these things explained to you, or are you just wanting to continue to point out that you don't like what has happened? Again Mark, I am truly just asking.

Unique hybrid player able to dominate mush larger OT's with a blend of speed, strength, quickness, and a non-stop motor from a regular 4-3 DE position. I believe that the Colts kept him because they are betting that he will be an even better player in a 3-4 as a stand up pass rusher or a hybrid defense that uses both 3-4 and 4-3 sets. Furthermore, Mathis is sturdy and has a least 4 years of tread on the tires, he plays extremely hard on every down and never gives up, great attitude and team leader as well as a good citizen. Finally, not specifically related to Robert, I think the Colts will rebuild from the defensive side first and i doubt they will give up any of their good players on defense (Powers, Angerer, Conner, etc,) with exception of maybe Freeney but simply because the Volts believe he doesn't fit well into a 3-4 system. A year down the line Mathis will still command market value if they decide to trade him.

I'm assuming because they felt he would be able to perform at a level appropriate for what he was willing to sign for.

With the possible exception of Manning, I'm not sure you could say the same about the other guys we released.

I'm also fairly sure that it was made clear to Mathis the situation he was likely walking into with regards to the team.

Just because Mathis is getting a 4 year contract, doesn't mean he'll be here for 4 years.

They may just see him as a stopgap until they draft a younger replacement. We've seen before in the NFL that long term contracts don't mean a lot. They could cut him next season, or the one after.

I'm going to be optimistic, though, an assume that the Colts see a lot left in his gas tank.

I like the move, look what Mario Williams did when he dropped into OLB(Granted, that is 6'6, 280 Mario Williams lol). We will be pass-rushing Mathis ALL the time, I don't think he will be dropping to coverage very often. And personally I would keep Mathis>Freeney, so we will see how it goes.

And we cut those players because they were on a decline or injury prone, not only because of cap space.

We signed Mathis..who's 31 to a 4-year deal??

...but we cut 6 other vets..because they were too costly

and by the time we're rebuilt, they'll be gone anyway..

...even though Mathis position must change to OLB...

I dont have even a theory.

Why did we do this?

I think it is two fold. 1) he has been our most effective defensive player the last few years. 2) I think he is going to be even better standing up in this system. I have always thought he would be a stud playing like a Ferrior or Harrison(only not dirty)of Pittsburgh.

It is a hard pill to swalloew that several of our "heroes" from the past decade are being let go. But all of the cuts make sense to me, and keeping Mathis makes sense as well. He will help bring an aggressivce attitude to the defense and lend a veteran mentality, while playing for a reasonable contract. Clark & Addai had large contracts and have largely been non-factors for two seasons. Freeneys contract is almost up so trading him while he has some value also makes sense....

It is a hard pill to swallow, but in full on rebuild mode it makes complete sense.

Cut the cord so to speak with those who may have difficulties adapting to a new system, and open up some cap space to maybe bring in some FA's just off their rookie contracts who are still young and more affordable, and that will be excited with the prospect of rebuilding behind Luck/RGIII, and hope you absolutely NAIL the draft...

if you can't understand that philosophy, then I feel for you... It's gonna be a hard couple of seasons...

Why do people keep asking this?

-He fits our new defense we'll be playing.

-Pagano is a big fan of his.

-He's been one of the greats on our defense for a while now and hasn't shown any signs of slowing up.

-He brings vet leadership.

CW..he's never played linebacker in his life....

..and he's moving to a position where he needs to learn pass coverage at age 31

..why do you feel he fits our new D

CW..he's never played linebacker in his life....

..and he's moving to a position where he needs to learn pass coverage at age 31

..why do you feel he fits our new D

Pagano has mentioned multiple times that Mathis will be good in this new D and if he does struggle or whatever he also said he won't force someone to do something they don't know how to do/can't do.

Mathis has also said that he's excited to learn this new D and he's up for the challenge.

Pagano has mentioned multiple times that Mathis will be good in this new D and if he does struggle or whatever he also said he won't force someone to do something they don't know how to do/can't do.

Mathis has also said that he's excited to learn this new D and he's up for the challenge.

Well..good...then we havent totally ashcanned 2012..

..we surely need someone who wants to be here...althoguh we just axed 6 guys who wanted to be here

Maybe Pagano thought Freeney would stay, too... they need to talk

I've posted my strong, pro Mathis comments before, so this will be no surprise to some.

IMHO Pagano & Grigson simply studied the film and reached the only conclusion a good football coach/GM could reach; RM is one of the true elite players in the league. So, no surprise to me that he's been signed.

Also, as I've posted before, I've isolated him and watched him work a tremendous number of snaps over the years (because he's so impressive that I can't stop) and he's an absolute relentless, unblockable, unstoppable play wrecker. I'm 100% convinced that if he'd been drafted by a 3-4 defensive, he'd be a "no brainer" HOF LB'er. Disagree as some will, no one will ever change my mind on Robert Mathis. He's just that fricken good!