Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ideal WR to pair with TY Hilton (Draft)

4 hours ago, backshoulderfade said:

Ebron was a great, great addition to the team. He was a big difference maker in this offense. That said, he is not without his issues. Namely, in the recieving game, drops. The other side to it is, as a tight end, Ebron will mostly be lining across from safeties and linebackers. 

Guys like K'Neal Harry, DK Metcalf or Hakeen Butler have that explosiveness to take the top off the defense, or get those RAC yards. They are more than just 6'4+ guys who you are going to throw jump balls to all game.

Think about an offense where you have TY, one of those guys to occupy the cornerbacks, and Ebron on the safeties. Could be exciting.

That said, there is more than one way to build a championship roster. I would be equally happy with that Reggie Wayne-type I alluded to in the previous post.

Edit: Just a reflection on the KC game, all the recievers were struggling greatly to get seperation, it could have been useful to have that big body to make a catch downfield with the db draped all over him.

On a side note: Did Luck even have the time to look and find any receiver down field?  Not in the KC game. He was being pressured pretty much the whole game.

We are not going to win too many games depending on Luck just chucking the ball down field to a tall receiver who is covered by a pro CB or safety. Just saying.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sorry, I didn't misrepresent anything.

It's my opinion, nothing else.

Every upcoming draft the same thing appears. We need that big, tall receiver who can out muscle NFL CBs and Safeties. Yeah, every team wants one of those but the reality is you win games with receivers who are consistent and help you QB complete passes. Not just highlight spots. Height has zero to do with that.

You absolutely are misrepresenting what I said.

Firstly, you implied that by taking an interest in recieverd of a certain height that people are looking for a the next Megatron. No, just recievers of a specific skillset 

Secondly, never did I say I wanted a reciever who can do nothing but jump balls.

Thirdly, I said a Wayne-type reciever. Never once did I mention an expectation of hall of fame play.

That is a misrepresentation of what I said. Deliberate or not. I respect your opinion, it is as valid as mine, or any other posters. 

• Like 1

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

On a side note: Did Luck even have the time to look and find any receiver down field?  Not in the KC game. He was being pressured pretty much the whole game.

We are not going to win too many games depending on Luck just chucking the ball down field to a tall receiver who is covered by a pro CB or safety. Just saying.

Sure, he was pressured more than every other game this season. I'm not denying that. I'm not implying that Luck should throw 20 jump balls per game. That is not sustainable. I'm merely saying it would add another dimension to the offense. A chance to keep the chains moving on a type of play that Chester Rodgers or Ryan Grant are never going to make.

2 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

You absolutely are misrepresenting what I said.

Firstly, you implied that by taking an interest in recieverd of a certain height that people are looking for a the next Megatron. No, just recievers of a specific skillset 

Secondly, never did I say I wanted a reciever who can do nothing but jump balls.

Thirdly, I said a Wayne-type reciever. Never once did I mention an expectation of hall of fame play.

That is a misrepresentation of what I said. Deliberate or not. I respect your opinion, it is as valid as mine, or any other posters. 

Well if you are going to get your panties in a bunch over someone debating with you just disregard anything I said. No problem. I will not comment in anymore of your post.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well if you are going to get your panties in a bunch over someone debating with you just disregard anything I said. No problem. I will not comment in anymore of your post.

I'm not. I'm just pointing out flaws in your reply. No panties in a bunch here, hopefully not on your part either.

We probably should leave it at this though, we are taking over the thread:lol:

Why aren’t more people on this forum talking about Hakeem Butler out of Iowa State? Dude is a beast. I know he played against Big 12 defenses, but he’s 6’6, can go up for those 50/50 balls, can get separation, and is quicker than people think. The only knock on him is like I said before, he played against Big 12 defenses. 

2 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

Why aren’t more people on this forum talking about Hakeem Butler out of Iowa State? Dude is a beast. I know he played against Big 12 defenses, but he’s 6’6, can go up for those 50/50 balls, can get separation, and is quicker than people think. The only knock on him is like I said before, he played against Big 12 defenses. 

There are plenty of people talking about him, just go through several threads here and get back to us. :) 

On 1/26/2019 at 12:56 PM, Chloe6124 said:

By the time a reciever we draft is ready to make a impact TY will be getting ready for retirement. Even guys like AB it took a few years. I don’t think we need a reciever as bad as everyone thinks. Ebron basically plays wide reciever. With Doyle back that gives us a lot of targets. If we resign Inman he will have a entire off season and will probably be better then this year.

Because we all know that TY didn't start making an impact until .....

24 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

Because we all know that TY didn't start making an impact until .....

Shh don't point that out, people don't want to think about stats that stare them in the face.  While I will agree it does seem to take WRs 2-3 seasons to hit their stride, that doesn't mean they can't contribute immediately, and there are tons of recent WRs that have done so immediately.

i think there are a number of decent wr options in the draft i don't think CB will go WR in the first 2rounds or in the first 3 picks. wouldnt be shocked if he goes DT/OT/CB with the first 3 picks. depends on whos on the board. Good chance the first WR might not come off the board until pick 22.

On 1/25/2019 at 5:21 PM, chad72 said:

I think Deebo Samuel separates better at 6'1" 210 lbs, and probably can mix and match inside and outside better.  Deebo has everything we need in the current NFL and the move he put on in this video was Julian Edelmanesque, cannot teach that, instant separation. I will be happy if we get him with our second pick. If not him, the other guy I am high on is Hakeem Butler. Most of the good WRs will be gone, I feel, by the time our pick in the 50s comes along. Our Jets trade pick No.36 is where we need to get our WR.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article225073955.html

I think you hit the nail on the head.. if we draft a WR high, he needs to be someone who can SEPARATE!  The ONLY Colt who can is TY, so we need another option with the speed and technique to get a step.  In the draft we don't need a project as we need help right now, day one, on the field playing and making plays.  If a rookie can't get separation, I think it's a bad move.  Good post Chad! 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:56 PM, DownHillRunner said:

I'm on the fence about Butler and whether he is a team fit. It depends on how we want to use our tight ends. I'd rather have more versatility in a crafty route runner (like Deebo).

I'd love to say I'm privy to all the nuances of the WR corps landscape, such as how much of a role does having that big/possession receiver or that perfect slot guy to fit the scheme... but alas I do not.  

To simplify the issue, I've observed that speed kills (Tyreek Hill, Ted Ginn) and separation means the guy is open.  I'll give someone a dozen Funchesses and (Kelvin) Benjamins for an Adam Theilen, who succeeds DESPITE his QBs.  After seeing Thielen and Tyler Boyd operate this year, I want guys like that.  Despite shaky or carousel QB play, those guys are open on every snap.  Check out Boyd's 2018 highlights.  It's impressive.  That dude is fearless over the middle and WIDE open there most of the time.

I don't watch college football, so I rely on sources like Walter Football and combine results to get the metrics and synopsis of a player.  After using OnTheClock so far this year, it seems like there will be enough WR talent to go around even in a defense-heavy draft.  

Sign a guy like Adam Humphries if he fits the landscape and get a WR where the value is, but please please please do not take the first shiny toy that appears before you in the early going.  

Luckily, Ryan Grigson is only the GM in my recurring nightmares.  Trust in Ballard.

Like many others I'd be really happy if we got a guy like Adam Humphries in FA. Or maybe Kevin White if they think he can turn it around.
In the draft I'd love to see us nab Deebo at 34 or Andy Isabella at 59.
Both guys aren't big but I'm hoping Cain can be the big guy we need and I think both of the above will be great possession receivers.