Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1975 Baltimore Colts Analogy

Caffrey

22 minutes ago, Caffrey said:

THE LEAD IN:  I was a Colt fan when we won 1971 Super Bowl V, over the Dallas Cowboys 16 - 13.

After losing in the next years AFC Championship game, we went down hill fast and drafted QB Bert Jones in 1974 with the #2 pick.

We had the worst record and #1 pick in 1975. The top rated player was QB Steve Bartkowski, but we did not need a QB as we had Bert Jones.

We traded that #1 pick to Atlanta for their #3 pick in the draft and All-Pro OT George Kunz (he was a stud for us as well), we drafted All-American OG Ken Huff with the #3 pick.  Interestingly, Huff did not start or dominate like Q. Nelson as prior SF 49er veteran OG Elmer Collett started and did decent.  Huff later became a starter but he never made the Pro-Bowl with the Colts.  We passed on Walter Payton at #4 (we had Lydell Mitchell who was decent and an excellent receiver but no Payton), and LB Robert Brazile #6, a position we really needed and maybe could have beaten the Steelers as he could matched up with Franco Harris.  

THE SIMILARITIES: Like our 1-5 start, our 1975 Colts started 1-4 in a 14 games season, after opening with a 35-0 shut out of Walter Payton/Chicago Bears, we then went on to lose 4 straight games to top rated teams at the time, like we did this year, our only early loss to a subpar team was the Jets and yes, that was disappointing.  In 1975, we then won 4 in a row to go 5-4, our Head Coach, Ted Marchibroda, told the team if we can beat ou the Division leader, Miami Dolphins, recent back to back Super Bowl wins including the only undefeated season in history.  We were in the AFC East at that time.  Anyway, Marchibroda said if we can beat the Dolphins, to go 6-4, we have a chance to be contenders.  We won, then we beat 2 weaker teams like Cleveland and KC I believe before the big showdown with the Dolphins again at Baltimore Memorial Stadium.  It was loud and we beat them with a game winning FG, to go 9-4, then beat the Pats in the final game to go 10-4 and AFC East Division Champs.

THE DIFFERENCE (PLAYOFFS): The playoff is where there is a big difference and the similarities end, our present Colts and the 1975 Colts both are/were riding high with confidence and momentum.  QB Bert Jones had a breakthrough year, Andrew Luck is easily comeback player of the year.  In 1975, the playoff games was against the defending Super Bowl Champs, Pittsburgh Steelers, who also had a hot winning streak enroute to their dynasty and arguably best team in history.  This Saturday, we are going up against a good Houston team, not great, no prior Super Bowl wins, or even appearance, dynasty not even considered.  So I like our present Colts chances much better than our 1975 Colts chances going into the our playoff game.

Fans from Indy may not be as tuned in to the 1975 Colts but old time Colts who remained Colts fans since the infamous 1984 Mayflower Moving Van move from Baltimore to Indianapolis.  Many Colts fans who are not from Baltimore remained Colts fans in Indy.  Not sure if any fans living in Baltimore remained Colt fans or willing to admit it.  

I also am an old Baltimore Colt fan since 1969.  I remember the 1975 Colts to and Bert to Roger Carr was fun to watch.  This year does have some of the 1975 Colts feel.  This team is so young and is fun to watch.  I like going to YouTube and watch highlights of the mid 70's Colts.  Thank you for starting this topic.  Brings back so many memories.

Just now, AlanNC said:

I also am an old Baltimore Colt fan since 1969.  I remember the 1975 Colts too, Bert to Roger Carr was fun to watch.  This year does have some of the 1975 Colts feel.  This team is so young and is fun to watch.  I like going to YouTube and watch highlights of the mid 70's Colts.  Thank you for starting this topic.  Brings back so many memories.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Caffrey said:

THE LEAD IN:  I was a Colt fan when we won 1971 Super Bowl V, over the Dallas Cowboys 16 - 13.

After losing in the next years AFC Championship game, we went down hill fast and drafted QB Bert Jones in 1974 with the #2 pick.

We had the worst record and #1 pick in 1975. The top rated player was QB Steve Bartkowski, but we did not need a QB as we had Bert Jones.

We traded that #1 pick to Atlanta for their #3 pick in the draft and All-Pro OT George Kunz (he was a stud for us as well), we drafted All-American OG Ken Huff with the #3 pick.  Interestingly, Huff did not start or dominate like Q. Nelson as prior SF 49er veteran OG Elmer Collett started and did decent.  Huff later became a starter but he never made the Pro-Bowl with the Colts.  We passed on Walter Payton at #4 (we had Lydell Mitchell who was decent and an excellent receiver but no Payton), and LB Robert Brazile #6, a position we really needed and maybe could have beaten the Steelers as he could matched up with Franco Harris.  

THE SIMILARITIES: Like our 1-5 start, our 1975 Colts started 1-4 in a 14 games season, after opening with a 35-0 shut out of Walter Payton/Chicago Bears, we then went on to lose 4 straight games to top rated teams at the time, like we did this year, our only early loss to a subpar team was the Jets and yes, that was disappointing.  In 1975, we then won 4 in a row to go 5-4, our Head Coach, Ted Marchibroda, told the team if we can beat ou the Division leader, Miami Dolphins, recent back to back Super Bowl wins including the only undefeated season in history.  We were in the AFC East at that time.  Anyway, Marchibroda said if we can beat the Dolphins, to go 6-4, we have a chance to be contenders.  We won, then we beat 2 weaker teams like Cleveland and KC I believe before the big showdown with the Dolphins again at Baltimore Memorial Stadium.  It was loud and we beat them with a game winning FG, to go 9-4, then beat the Pats in the final game to go 10-4 and AFC East Division Champs.

THE DIFFERENCE (PLAYOFFS): The playoff is where there is a big difference and the similarities end, our present Colts and the 1975 Colts both are/were riding high with confidence and momentum.  QB Bert Jones had a breakthrough year, Andrew Luck is easily comeback player of the year.  In 1975, the playoff games was against the defending Super Bowl Champs, Pittsburgh Steelers, who also had a hot winning streak enroute to their dynasty and arguably best team in history.  This Saturday, we are going up against a good Houston team, not great, no prior Super Bowl wins, or even appearance, dynasty not even considered.  So I like our present Colts chances much better than our 1975 Colts chances going into the our playoff game.

Fans from Indy may not be as tuned in to the 1975 Colts but old time Colts who remained Colts fans since the infamous 1984 Mayflower Moving Van move from Baltimore to Indianapolis.  Many Colts fans who are not from Baltimore remained Colts fans in Indy.  Not sure if any fans living in Baltimore remained Colt fans or willing to admit it.  

Rest assured there are still Colts fans living in Baltimore.  My dad still lives there and while he is now a Ravens fan recently told me that there are still those there who never stopped rooting for the Colts. 

• Like 3

The mid 70's teams were before my time, but if you didn't live it, there are several youtube videos where you can catch up.  When you look at who they faced - Steeler dynasty and Raiders mini-dynasty.  They battled the 70's Cowboys mini-dynasty.  Very underrated team.  Comparable to the 2000's Chargers, possibly.  Probably better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, #12. said:

The mid 70's teams were before my time, but if you didn't live it, there are several youtube videos where you can catch up.  When you look at who they faced - Steeler dynasty and Raiders mini-dynasty.  They battled the 70's Cowboys mini-dynasty.  Very underrated team.  Comparable to the 2000's Chargers, possibly.  Probably better.

That era was dubbed "The Super 70's". And for good reason. Legendary teams, players, and HC's.

Chuck Knoll, Madden, Shula, Landry....

Steelers, Raiders, Dolphins, Cowboys.... Bert Jones, Stauback, Bradshaw, Swann, Mean Joe Greene, Stabler, Casper etc.... Way too many to mention all.

• Like 4

That team indeed was so much fun to watch. Looney tunes and sack pack names given to d line. Cook , Dutton , Barnes & Ehrmann. Was 15 at the time but man I see so many similarities.  Lyell & Bert 2 of my all time favorites. We just beat the old Houston team so now on to the new one. Always BLEED BLUE !!!!!

• Like 2

I remember well beating the Patriots in the final game in 1975.

It was Tom Brady's rookie year.

But seriously, I do remember that game because Bert Jones fumbled the ball late in the game and the Patriots recovered. But the refs had called Jones down before the ball came out and the Colts retained possession to win the game. The replay clearly showed that the refs blew the call.

1 hour ago, egg said:

But seriously, I do remember that game because Bert Jones fumbled the ball late in the game and the Patriots recovered. But the refs had called Jones down before the ball came out and the Colts retained possession to win the game. The replay clearly showed that the refs blew the call.

I was at that game. Colts got away with that one, if I remember correctly.

Those mid 70s teams were so close but ended up losing to the Steelers or Raiders, who went on to win their respective SBs.

Bert Jones said he will always remember missing a wide-open Raymond Chester in that double overtime game against the Raiders.

I wish the C-O-L-T-S COLTS cheer had survived. That stadium rocked!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

Wow, I remember that play too!  Jones was such a good QB, it’s a shame he got hurt. BTW, I was at his first game in Cleveland. I remember these Browns fans sitting in back of us saying Jones would never amount to anything, lol!

Also, does anyone remember that after we lost the playoff game to the Steeler, a small plane crashed into the stadium?  I have a vague memory of my dad saying it may have been a good thing the Colts lost bad so fans left early.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice summery. I remember that season pretty well. I was at the first Jets game.  (it was at Shea Stadium) That was the start of our season long winning streak after losing 4 in a row. Btw, The Colts didn't shut out the Bears in week one. The Bears got a late garbage TD. The final score was 35-7 I believe. 

I had been a Colts fan for 10 years already by 75. I had gone to a couple games with my Father & Brother at Memorial Stadium in the past. That place was a bit run down but I remember it always rockin with Colt fans. C-O-L-T-S COLTS!!!

The similarities are there. I'm rooting for a little different final outcome.

• Like 1

The final Patriot game that the Bert Jones fumbled and was not called was the final game of the 1977 season, not the 1975 season.  The 1975 Patriot game, the Pats had an early lead, I think they returned the opening kick-off for a TD, and again without double checking, I think the QB was a young or maybe rookie Steve Grogran who had a decent first half.  Bert Jones lead the comeback and when we had the lead late in the 4th quarter, All-Pro DE John Dutton sacked Grogran twice to seal the victory.

The final 1977 Patriot game, the Colts we an established power but the referee must been a Bert Jone and Colt fan because he did not call the fumble, said Jones was down, and we went on to the game winning TD.  I think if we did not score the TD and loss, we may have been eliminated from the playoffs.  Then we lost the heart breaking playoff game to the Raiders in Baltimore, when TE Dave Casper caught that long over the head pass.  Bert Jones always said he missed a wide open Raymond Chester for  long gain which may cost us the game.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Caffrey said:

The final Patriot game that the Bert Jones fumbled and was not called was the final game of the 1977 season, not the 1975 season.  The 1975 Patriot game, the Pats had an early lead, I think they returned the opening kick-off for a TD, and again without double checking, I think the QB was a young or maybe rookie Steve Grogran who had a decent first half.  Bert Jones lead the comeback and when we had the lead late in the 4th quarter, All-Pro DE John Dutton sacked Grogran twice to seal the victory.

The final 1977 Patriot game, the Colts we an established power but the referee must been a Bert Jone and Colt fan because he did not call the fumble, said Jones was down, and we went on to the game winning TD.  I think if we did not score the TD and loss, we may have been eliminated from the playoffs.  Then we lost the heart breaking playoff game to the Raiders in Baltimore, when TE Dave Casper caught that long over the head pass.  Bert Jones always said he missed a wide open Raymond Chester for  long gain which may cost us the game.

Thanks for the correction....I just remember it was the mid-70's, last regular season game, Colts needed to win to make the playoffs, Jones fumbled, ref blew the call, Colts won.

That was back in the stone age before mankind had invented the red flag............

18 hours ago, Caffrey said:

One important fact that was left out was Bert Jones was hurt early in the first quarter and didn’t return until late fourth quarter when the Steelers led 21-10. In fact, when he returned, Jones immediately led the Colts down the field until he was hit and fumbled, Andy Russell going 93 yards for the clinching TD.

18 hours ago, Caffrey said:

Wow! I did not know that we passed up Drafting Walter Payton. Lydell Mitchell was excellent catching passes BUT can you imagine Bert Jones with Walter Payton? Along with Mitchell, Carr, and Chester.

It's funny how Draft room decisions can heavily affect the future.

9 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Wow, I remember that play too!  Jones was such a good QB, it’s a shame he got hurt. BTW, I was at his first game in Cleveland. I remember these Browns fans sitting in back of us saying Jones would never amount to anything, lol!

Also, does anyone remember that after we lost the playoff game to the Steeler, a small plane crashed into the stadium?  I have a vague memory of my dad saying it may have been a good thing the Colts lost bad so fans left early.   

That lopsided loss saved many lives.  I was about to search for the picture...

It was 1976

https://www.statter911.com/2016/12/19/40-years-ago-plane-crashes-into-baltimores-memorial-stadium-after-colts-game-hitting-police-officer/

MD-Baltimore-plane-into-Memorial-Stadium-2.jpg

I was 22. Had been born in Baltimore in 54, raised in York County, Pa, and had been a Colts fan since watching the 58 Championship on a huge console black and white tv that had a 9"screen.

• Like 2

To add to some of the replies.

I was a fan since the 1968 Balt Colts and the great Johnny Unitas who was older but got hurt.  The Colts picked up veteran QB Ear Morrall who played great in leading the Colts to a 13-1 record and league MVP.  Our only loss was to Cleveland and I think started Unitas off his injury and thew multiple interceptions.  Unitas did not start another game that year.  We blasted the sames Brown's 34-0 in the NFC Championship and was 17 points favorite of Joe Nmath, NY Jets.  Namath got upset in the pre-games interviews always being asked if the Jets have a chance and he gave the 1st that I can recollect, "I guarantee we will win", 17 points underdog mind you. Some thought he was arrogant, and I think he also got into a argument, almost altercation at a bar with Colt PK, back DE, Lou Micheals, brother or previous Jets Head Coach Walt Micheals but not sure if he was an assistant coach with the Jets at the time.  Micheals did miss his 30+ yard FB in the 1st quarter which could have change destiny.  The Jets Head Coach was Weeb Eubanks, prior Colts Head Coach.  We lost Super Bowl III to the Jets, in one of the biggest upsets in history.  Our RB Tom Matte had one of his best games and even had a 58 yard run. We also had John Mackey, Hall of Fame TE, OC Bill Curry, who became HC at Alabama, he was 235 lbs in the days when a lot of lineman weighed 250 lbs.  On defense we had the legendary DE Bubba Smith, giant then and now at 6-7 290 lbs and was quick.  Also had the rough OLB Mike Curtis, his closeline or rival LA Rams QB Roman Gabriel is a great poster picture.  

I will forever say the Colts are better than the Jets but not on this day, plus some destiny things happened.  Morrall was intercepted 3 times, one bounced of the shoulder pads in the end zone to be int.  Going from a TD to Int.  A huge Int was at the end of the 2nd half, and we still did not score, we did an excellent executed Flea Flicker except for the pass, WR Jimmy Orr was wide open in the end zone, but Morrall for some reason threw to a receiver in the middle of the field and was Int.  I read the Colts marching band was getting ready the half-time show, line up in their blue outfits and may have made it difficult for Morrall to see him, as the Colts was wearing their blue jerseys.  We outplayed them early on but could not score and the Jets was getting FG's.  Their FB Matt Snell had a good game, like 30 carries for 120 yards, a lot of draw plays, and scored the only TD.  We double covered Jet WR Don Maynard (he caught countless long passes from Namath in his career) all game long and did shut him down but possession WR George Sauer caught 8 passes, alot for 1st downs.  As the game went on the Jets became more confident and seen the had a chance to actually win the game and they did.  Unitas came in the game in the 4th quarter and led us to a TD but got Int in the end zone to end our chances.  Don Shula, our HC, said if he had to do it again, he would have put Unitas in a least one series earlier.  This actually helped with NFL ratings and development, giving credibility the new league, old AFL.  The AFC Chiefs upset the Vikings in Super Bowl IV, the the league merged and moved old time NFL, Colts, Steelers and Browns to have 13 teams in in each conference at the time.

After the great 1975 turn around from the #1 pick in the draft, starting 1-4, winning 9 in a row and winning the AFC East Division Champs.  We played Pittsburgh Steelers defending Super Bowl Champ to be dynasty.  QB Bert Jones was the man, looked good in the 1st quarter before he went out with an elbow injury.  Announcer, ex-Cowboy QB Don Meredith, said he was impressed Jones as he was taking it upon himself to make the big play as he just missed on a 3rd down pass the play had energy, looked good if you know what I mean.

Journeyman QB Marty Domres, ex Charger #1 pick out of the Ivy League replaced Jones was OK at first, even threw a TD pass. (The highlight of his career, can tell his grandchildren he threw a TD pass against the great Steeler defense in the playoffs).  Anyway eventually, his true journeyman skill eventually showed and he threw a game changing interception, I think it was close to own goal line for a short TD drive for the Steelers. In the 4t quarter, Bert Jones came back in wth the score 21-10, in the threw a 58 yard pass to Glenn Doughty who got pass Hall of Fame CB Mel Blount.  I thought Doughty was fast, but Mel Blount caught him from behind.  I remember watching it with my dad and they showed the replay, we both agreed if Doughty was fast, he would have scored.  We got to the 3 yard line and as mentioned earlier, Jones got sacked and fumbled and older all-star LB Any Russell who was not fast as his youth but he scored.  Even with the lost, Jones future looked really bright as he had an outstanding year, was a good runner too, and he looked good in short playing time against the Steelers.  He would take some big hits while running though as some opponents thought he was cocky, but he could back it up.

With our #3 pick, we passed OG Ken Huff who did not start his 1975 rookie year.  We passed on #4 Walter Payton but I think a player who really could have made difference was the #6 pick, by the Houston Oilers at that time, now Tennessee Titans.  OLB Robert Brazile 6-4 235 lbs and fast.  (Trivia: Walter Payton and Robert Brazile both played for Jackson St.).  Anyway we had very good and young front for.  I remember reading the assessment:  DT Joe Ehrmann (prior #1 pick) is a ROCK, DE Fred Cook (prior #2 pick) is a wildman, DT Mike Barnes (prior #2 pick), is underrated, DE John Dutton (prior early #1 pick) is All-Conference.  When things went bad, I think we ended up trading Dutton to the Cowboys for a #1 and #2 pick.  That was our studly front front.  We had 2 good OLB in Tom MacCleod who I think we got in a trade for Ted Hendrick. Macleod was solid but no camparison to Hendricks, but solid. Also had OLB Stan While who was a defensive leader and had 8 Int in 1975, outstanding for a LB or any position for that matter.  The MLB was the weak spot.  We had Journeyman Jim Cheyunski, played for Buffalo prior.  He was about 6-1 220 lbs, no sure but will say he has fair speed and that may be compliment.  Franco Harris would often run by him or over him.

My fantasy is have us draft LB Robert Brazile and play him at MLB. With him behind that front four, he would be All-Pro.  He was 6-4 235 lbs and fast, the play I remember is Bengal WR Isaac Curtis who is also a sprinter, he caught a pass an was running down the sideline and looked like a TD but Brazile tracked him down from mid field before he could score.  

I mentioned this story before which I read somewhere.  Houston's starting outside LB was Greg Bingham and was aware they drafted Robert Brazile and will compete for the starting LB position.  At the 1st day of training camp and he seen the guy get out of the car with our Bubba Smith, who played with Houston at the end of career.  Bingham said he see how big he is, next to Bubba, and said, that can't be Robert Brazile, looks like defensive lineman.  Then on the first day of practice, they were running wind sprints and he was keeping up with their sprinter WR Kenny Burroughs and said, that can't be Robert Brazile.  Then later that day, this same guy came up to me(Bingham), and introduced himself in a respectful and articulate manner, Hi, I'm Robert Brazile.  Bingham, was thinking his chances of retaining his starting OLB position was in jeopardy.

Sorry to be long winded, but nothing better to do besides enjoy this New Years Day, talking Colt football, who are in the playoffs, and watching Texas vs Georgia and in the Sugar Bowl.

• Like 3

The 1975 season was a great one. The Fog bowl against the Dolphins in a 10-7 win was memorable. Unfortunately, they would go onto lose to Pittsburgh in 75 and 76 playoffs, and the Raiders in 1977. These were the highlights of the Bob Irsay Baltimore years. 

To me, the golden age of Baltimore Colts history was 1958- 1971, the Carroll Rosenbloom years. These years were marked by three NFL Championships , and one Super Bowl win. I liked and enjoyed those Bert Jones era teams , but they paled in comparison to those earlier Colts teams. 

There is a comparison between the current Colts 1-5 start, and the 1975 1-4 start. Both eras had an Irsay at the helm. That being said, I don’t think you want the comparison of three division titles, but three straight playoff losses. After that you would have the team torn apart, Rodger Carr not being paid, John Dutton traded, Bert Jones hurt, Art Schlichter , the Elway debacle , the move. The 78-83 Colts were not fun to watch. 

As a Baltimore Colts fan that switched to the Ravens, I know of very few fans from Baltimore that followed the Colts to Indy. The ones that did follow them to Indy, were mainly out of state fans that were followers of the Colts. This is the follow the horseshoe anywhere crowd. Most people living in Baltimore were too angry at the time at Irsay, to follow the Indy Colts. There were probably more natives of Baltimore that switched to the Redskins or Steelers at that time , then followed the Colts to Indy. As time has passed now, most of the old tensions have died down, but the legacy of the old Baltimore Colts is as memorable as the old Brooklyn Dodgers. It was a great era. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I was at that game. Colts got away with that one, if I remember correctly.

Those mid 70s teams were so close but ended up losing to the Steelers or Raiders, who went on to win their respective SBs.

Bert Jones said he will always remember missing a wide-open Raymond Chester in that double overtime game against the Raiders.

I wish the C-O-L-T-S COLTS cheer had survived. That stadium rocked!

That would be the Big Wheel. Also, the old Baltimore Colts fight song is the current Ravens fight song. One cool story. The Ravens , at the last Browns game, celebrated the 60th anniversary of the 1958 Baltimore Colts Championship win over the Giants. On hand were Lenny Moore, Andy Nelson , among others. Also attending was Sandy Unitas, and the widow of Alan Ameche. They brought out the old Baltimore Colts Championship banners onto the field, and actually played the original Baltimore Colts fight song with original lyrics. A very nice moment !

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

The 1975 season was a great one. The Fog bowl against the Dolphins in a 10-7 win was memorable. Unfortunately, they would go onto lose to Pittsburgh in 75 and 76 playoffs, and the Raiders in 1977. These were the highlights of the Bob Irsay Baltimore years. 

To me, the golden age of Baltimore Colts history was 1958- 1971, the Carroll Rosenbloom years. These years were marked by three NFL Championships , and one Super Bowl win. I liked and enjoyed those Bert Jones era teams , but they paled in comparison to those earlier Colts teams. 

There is a comparison between the current Colts 1-5 start, and the 1975 1-4 start. Both eras had an Irsay at the helm. That being said, I don’t think you want the comparison of three division titles, but three straight playoff losses. After that you would have the team torn apart, Rodger Carr not being paid, John Dutton traded, Bert Jones hurt, Art Schlichter , the Elway debacle , the move. The 78-83 Colts were not fun to watch. 

As a Baltimore Colts fan that switched to the Ravens, I know of very few fans from Baltimore that followed the Colts to Indy. The ones that did follow them to Indy, were mainly out of state fans that were followers of the Colts. This is the follow the horseshoe anywhere crowd. Most people living in Baltimore were too angry at the time at Irsay, to follow the Indy Colts. There were probably more natives of Baltimore that switched to the Redskins or Steelers at that time , then followed the Colts to Indy. As time has passed now, most of the old tensions have died down, but the legacy of the old Baltimore Colts is as memorable as the old Brooklyn Dodgers. It was a great era. 

That describes me, growing up in Ohio and being a Colts fan.  I think it was Unitas and Tom Matte that brought me to the Colts (and I loved the team colors).  Most of my friends were Browns or Steeler fans so it was nice to be different.

Every year I meet my buddies in Indy for a game.  I'm the only Colts fan, one is a Browns fan and one follows the Ravens.  It's a funny triangle of team animosity!

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

That describes me, growing up in Ohio and being a Colts fan.  I think it was Unitas and Tom Matte that brought me to the Colts (and I loved the team colors).  Most of my friends were Browns or Steeler fans so it was nice to be different.

Every year I meet my buddies in Indy for a game.  I'm the only Colts fan, one is a Browns fan and one follows the Ravens.  It's a funny triangle of team animosity!

I’ve seen most of the Colts eras, and all of the Ravens era. I saw Jim Irsay as a ball boy, then an owner. Ive been to Lucas Oil stadium to see a Ravens game, I saw Manning and Luck live in Baltimore in the playoffs in 2006 and 2012. Funny how things are so intertwined. The main thing we can all agree on is that the Patriots are thorns in all of our sides. Let’s hope one of us knocks them out. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Myles said:

It's kind of silly that I am a Colts fan, but have hated the Ravens from day 1 because of how they left Cleveland.  

Same here, partly.  i became a colts fan out of my hatred for the jets and their fans.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Myles said:

It's kind of silly that I am a Colts fan, but have hated the Ravens from day 1 because of how they left Cleveland.  

Honestly, no one in Baltimore was happy the way we got the team from Cleveland. We would have much preferred an expansion team, but Taglibue and Red Skins owner Jack Kent Cooke conspired against us, and put teams in Charlotte and Jacksonville. That nice stadium deal was left on the table, and Modell, much like Davis and Irsay before, took the offer. Because of my background, I never enjoy seeing  teams move. We all understand the economic reasons, but it’s always an unfortunate things for the city left behind. Feel bad for San Diego and Oakland. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Same here, partly.  i became a colts fan out of my hatred for the jets and their fans.  

I moved to Indiana well after the team made the move from Baltimore.  Mostly became a Colts fan in the mid 1990's.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Honestly, no one in Baltimore was happy the way we got the team from Cleveland. We would have much preferred an expansion team, but Taglibue and Red Skins owner Jack Kent Cooke conspired against us, and put teams in Charlotte and Jacksonville. That nice stadium deal was left on the table, and Modell, much like Davis and Irsay before, took the offer. Because of my background, I never enjoy seeing  teams move. We all understand the economic reasons, but it’s always an unfortunate things for the city left behind. Feel bad for San Diego and Oakland. 

I won't pretend to know all the reasons the Colts moved.   Just that Irsay and the city had disagreements on who would pay for stadium upgrades and Maryland passed some sort of law that could allow the city to seize the team from Irsay.   Curious, was the team selling out its games in the prior years?  

54 minutes ago, Myles said:

I won't pretend to know all the reasons the Colts moved.   Just that Irsay and the city had disagreements on who would pay for stadium upgrades and Maryland passed some sort of law that could allow the city to seize the team from Irsay.   Curious, was the team selling out its games in the prior years?  

It was a bit of all of the above.  Incompetent Maryland politicians, bad ownership except for 75-77, etc. 

As time has passed, and emotions died down , we should have actually built a new stadium for Carroll Rosenbloom before Irsay ever got involved. All games we sold out from probably 1958-71. So because of this , Rosenbloom swapped the Rams for the Colts, and got Irsay involved. Irsay also wanted a new stadium , and wanted the blue laws changed, as we had the only 2 PM start times. This should have happened, but didn’t. By 1978, Irsay was already looking to move, the team started their tailspin , and attendance dropped.  To answer your question, they probably had 28-32 K average in a 54 K stadium towards the end. So no, it was a bit empty towards the end , but the product was very poor. In the prism of many years passing, there was fault on both sides why the team left Baltimore. But the main reasons , as with all the moves subsequently , were driven by economics. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

It was a bit of all of the above.  Incompetent Maryland politicians, bad ownership except for 75-77, etc. 

As time has passed, and emotions died down , we should have actually built a new stadium for Carroll Rosenbloom before Irsay ever got involved. All games we sold out from probably 1958-71. So because of this , Rosenbloom swapped the Rams for the Colts, and got Irsay involved. Irsay also wanted a new stadium , and wanted the blue laws changed, as we had the only 2 PM start times. This should have happened, but didn’t. By 1978, Irsay was already looking to move, the team started their tailspin , and attendance dropped.  To answer your question, they probably had 28-32 K average in a 54 K stadium towards the end. So no, it was a bit empty towards the end , but the product was very poor. In the prism of many years passing, there was fault on both sides why the team left Baltimore. But the main reasons , as with all the moves subsequently , were driven by economics. 

The only reason I brought up attendance is that I remember seeing where the Browns had an insane streak of sold out home games when they moved.   It always bothers me more when a team leaves when they had overwhelming fan support.  

16 hours ago, jimmy g said:

That lopsided loss saved many lives.  I was about to search for the picture...

It was 1976

https://www.statter911.com/2016/12/19/40-years-ago-plane-crashes-into-baltimores-memorial-stadium-after-colts-game-hitting-police-officer/

MD-Baltimore-plane-into-Memorial-Stadium-2.jpg

I was 22. Had been born in Baltimore in 54, raised in York County, Pa, and had been a Colts fan since watching the 58 Championship on a huge console black and white tv that had a 9"screen.

That's such a crazy story, I don't think I ever knew the history behind it.  The guy who flew that plane was a complete nut case.  Here's an excerpt from one of the stories:

"Indeed, in the wreck police found a note that read: "To Bert Jones, QB, from the Blue Max. Good luck, you B-more Colts." It was later reported Kroner had been working as an unpaid volunteer undercover representative for the U.S. Customs Service and was supposed to fly cocaine from South America to the United States on some type of an arranged drug bust.

He also became involved in 1980 with the theft of two Greyhound buses from Dulles Airport in Virginia. One of them he drove to Arbutus, the other to Bowleys Quarters, where the weight of the huge vehicle caused it to sink to its chassis by the side of the road on ground softened by spring rains. His explanation was he was there to pick up furniture he owned from inside an apartment."

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Myles said:

The only reason I brought up attendance is that I remember seeing where the Browns had an insane streak of sold out home games when they moved.   It always bothers me more when a team leaves when they had overwhelming fan support.  

I believe you are right. They regularly had over 60 K, and the 1995 season, it started to go down to the mid - fifties , but Modell had already announced he was going to move. There was still hope there . Belichick was coming off an 11-5 1994 season, but they dropped to 5-11 in 1995, and he was subsequently fired. On a side note, if Belichick was not fired , he would have been the first coach of the Baltimore Ravens in 1996. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

That's such a crazy story, I don't think I ever knew the history behind it.  The guy who flew that plane was a complete nut case.  Here's an excerpt from one of the stories:

"Indeed, in the wreck police found a note that read: "To Bert Jones, QB, from the Blue Max. Good luck, you B-more Colts." It was later reported Kroner had been working as an unpaid volunteer undercover representative for the U.S. Customs Service and was supposed to fly cocaine from South America to the United States on some type of an arranged drug bust.

He also became involved in 1980 with the theft of two Greyhound buses from Dulles Airport in Virginia. One of them he drove to Arbutus, the other to Bowleys Quarters, where the weight of the huge vehicle caused it to sink to its chassis by the side of the road on ground softened by spring rains. His explanation was he was there to pick up furniture he owned from inside an apartment."

He will go down in the Nuts, Hall of Fame of Flying , along with Matthias Rust who flew a plane onto Red Square in Moscow, and the goof that hand glided into Shea Stadium during the World Series !!!

On 12/31/2018 at 8:56 PM, Caffrey said:

I was at that  Dolphin game..remember it well. I was at the open end of Memorial Stadium. The fog came rolling in right after half time, by the fourth quarter you could barely see the field or players!