Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Chappell Twitter - Colts Terminate Contracts Of Brackett, Clark, Bullitt And Addai (Merge)

chad72

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My main concern about Grigson was his understanding of how to manage the cap. This bloodletting of the roster reminds me so much of what the great Joe Thomas did in 1972. I think Grigson gets it. The Colts aren't going anywhere in 2012 anyway, so get rid of all the players who won't be here to contribute in 2015, and confine the cap pain to this year. Just grit your teeth for 16 more games, and then watch the rebuilding gather speed in 2013 when we're 30mil under the cap, can trade our top-5 pick for two 1st rounders, and have more compensation picks. The first goal in this year's draft is to get more o-linemen and receivers to help Luck survive. Maybe we'll be able to get a third-rounder for Freeney.

Under the circumstances, I am puzzled as to why they bothered to re-sign Mathis, unless they intend to trade him.

This is indeed a wild ride. As 'Johnny' in the movie 'Airplane' said ( referencing the tv series 'The Big Valley' ): "Nick! Heath! Jared! There's a fire in the barn!"

Was thinking the exact same thing. (Granted I wasn't alive when it happened, but I know about it)

WOW! As much as I hate to see 3 of my favorite players go, it was a very good business move. All 3 had off years or were injured and with a completely new team going forward, I couldn't see them staying around longer anyways. Im not happy to see them go, but Irsay proved to me he has some balls, and he can make some moves. Bad move if you're a casual fan, but for me and the other hardcore fans, it's a very good move. Donald Brown will replace Addai and Angerer and Conner will be the ILBs with Wheeler as a possible backup (if he stays). Great moves, but I will be see sad to see them go.

With these releases, the Colts can now have plenty of room to resign guys like Tamme and Wheeler, and easily sign all of our draft picks. Could someone give me a number for how much room this clears up. If I'm not mistaken it would be around 16M, right?

I still am unhappy about letting Clark go out of this bunch, personally. I am not going to get my hopes up high on a 235-240 lb receiving TE in Tamme who might have been productive but never demanded the double teams in the slot that Clark did. Thus those double teams rolled towards Collie in 2010 giving Collie all those concussions.

2011 was a total disaster on offense, so I cannot extrapolate anything due to lackluster QB play but I can, based on 2010. Yes, Clark missed games the last 2 years but we do not have that many draft picks to get both the WR and TE positions stocked, IMO. There is only so much we will be able to do in free agency and the draft. If we cleared up some room by trading Freeney and then had a mid season trade for Clark or 2013 offseason cut of Clark, I may have been inclined to accept it better, I guess.

With these releases, the Colts can now have plenty of room to resign guys like Tamme and Wheeler, and easily sign all of our draft picks. Could someone give me a number for how much room this clears up. If I'm not mistaken it would be around 16M, right?

Frog's thread "The Cap" is already updated. I think it only clears up about $5 million in cap space in 2012, but it represents a TON of cap space in the years following.

This one hurt for me. Dallas has been my guy for years, but I have seen the faint writing on the wall get bolder over the last two seasons...he's been injured and can't seem to make it back to his full glory. Especially since his hand injury. But I do gotta say "ouch" on this one.

Addai, I love Joe, but Carter and Brown can be just as effective as him if we let them...Sad to see Gary go, what a classy guy...

I am still excited to see what Grigson finds in the draft and in FA, and can't wait to see our HC in action. Exciting time, but there are a few stings left in this before we're done folks.

We better go after some sort of an offensive line, losing addai we lost our only pass protection.

Yes, but we have a QB coming in who is crazy athletic and great in the pocket, well in college he was. Lets hope that transitions to the NFL. Also Donald Browns blocking was better last year even though he still needs to improve..

1/4th of it is gone on players playing elsewhere next year.. If it's in the 120million range and each guy cut is treated a pre 6/1 cut.

FJC - We'll be spending more on rookies this year than in the past. But the rookie salaries are treated different when it comes to cap, right?

Frog's thread "The Cap" is already updated. I think it only clears up about $5 million in cap space in 2012, but it represents a TON of cap space in the years following.

Great, we are in rebuilding mode so signing some players in the future would be easy. Sign our draft picks, get a couple FAs and we'll take it from there. It's good as we could give some players who are currently in rookie contracts some big deals in the future. Those players include Brown, Angerer, Castonzo, Ijalana, and Pollak (although he's free agent this year).

I hope we sign somebody so people wont cancel season tickets..

Cancel season tickets for what, these were great moves... some of those players weren't very athletic or not very strong ie Dallas Clark compared to other TEs.

The colts finally have their one two punch in Donald brown and feline carter

Goodbye Addai

We can sign Tamme now! That makes it all worth while.

We can sign Tamme now! That makes it all worth while.

He's a great young player, excited to have him going forward. I see him being Luck's new go to guy and security blanket. Luck loves his tight ends.

I agree these were cuts that were going to be made but as a potential ticket holder they are going to have to put SOMETHING on the field. At least Clark could have given another threat for Luck to throw to. While Brackett had huge salary he was a great locker room guy and solid player. I just hope we can put some quality guys on the field. Next year we may have problems meeting the minimum cap lol. Seriously this whole offseason may have been done for team reasons..but definately not fan friendly though.

Thank god Bullitt is gone. Grew tired of all those missed tackles and being carried for an extra 3 yards after every tackle. Enter the Joe Lefeged Era. JOKING. Who do you guys see as our starting TE(not sold on tamme) and SS next year?

Perhaps they will draft Coby Fleener if he's available...

The only player I'm really upset to see leaving is Bullitt, I always enjoyed watching for him and will miss him. But Gary/Dallas/Addai were gone the minute Peyton was...Saturday will be gone soon too.

I love to see us going all-in on starting fresh, it may not be a great winning year next year or the year after, but just imagine the future of this team. A full team built around our new QB, I love it, we did it with Peyt, now we are doing it with Luck. I'm not mad about Freeney either, I think Mathis is better and will fit better in our new 3-4 hybrid defense.

Can't wait to see all the new faces wearing the Horseshoe next year, Go Colts.

He's a great young player, excited to have him going forward. I see him being Luck's new go to guy and security blanket. Luck loves his tight ends.

At this point Tamme is still a FA, and at this pace, NO ONE can guess what the Colts front office will do. So I am not so sure I would just assume we are bringing him back.

Perhaps they will draft Coby Fleener if he's available...

He is probably gone late first round. I don't think we get him unless we trade up to do so, and I do not think that is smart. Our roster is going to be bare bones as is, we need all the picks we can get.

one two punch really? im not sure that these two can be considered a one two punch.....

An RB that cant blitz block and a short yardage RB that cant hold on to the ball. How many fumbles did Addai have in his entire Colts career? Delone Carter probably had just as much in 1 year, it seemed like.

Yes, RBs are dime a dozen but it is going to take at least, AT LEAST, 2 years for us to replenish our roster with the talent to even make a run at our division, IMO since we do not have enough draft picks and enough cap room this year, it will come next year.

Let us see how it all shapes up.

Other than the Benjamins, what is the motivation for a free agent to come to the Colts? Most free agents are past their rookie contract, so either they are approaching 30 (not much different than the ones we let go and probably will let go soon) and looking for a big pay day, or looking for a place to get a ring.

At this point Tamme is still a FA, and at this pace, NO ONE can guess what the Colts front office will do. So I am not so sure I would just assume we are bringing him back.

I would think they resign him. They're not going to cut him and waste an early draft pick on a TE just as good. They're in a rebuilding mode and he's a young kid who is perfect for a rebuilding team. Like I said, he's going to be good going forward.

I would think they resign him. They're not going to cut him and waste an early draft pick on a TE just as good. They're in a rebuilding mode and he's a young kid who is perfect for a rebuilding team. Like I said, he's going to be good going forward.

I agree I would think they would resign him, but at this point I am just not so sure. You also have to wonder how good Tamme is, or whether he was another average player made that much better by Peyton Manning (i.e. Blair White).

WOW! As much as I hate to see 3 of my favorite players go, it was a very good business move. All 3 had off years or were injured and with a completely new team going forward, I couldn't see them staying around longer anyways. Im not happy to see them go, but Irsay proved to me he has some balls, and he can make some moves. Bad move if you're a casual fan, but for me and the other hardcore fans, it's a very good move. Donald Brown will replace Addai and Angerer and Conner will be the ILBs with Wheeler as a possible backup (if he stays). Great moves, but I will be see sad to see them go.

Wow is an understatement, but I totally agree with you. WOW!