Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reaction to TNF and how we view the win over the Raiders

Legend of Luck

I've seen a number of people on different media suggest that our win over the Raiders looks less impressive after watching the 49ers blow the Raiders out.

The counterpoints that I've seen have been that the Raiders performed this poorly on TNF because the Colts already broke their will on Sunday. The Raiders essentially tapped out after giving up 200 rushing yards and losing their 6th game. Plus it was a short week, which is always harder.

My perspective is this: Our offense played great against the Raiders. Our defense had a rough game.  Simple as that. The Raiders were coming off a bye and had 2 weeks to prepare for us, and they played well. When they dont get that time to prepare, well, Nick Mullens can tell you the rest of the story.

Another point I want to make, is that the Bills had a VERY competitive game against the Patriots on Monday. The Bills Defense played great and held the Patriots offense for much of the game. That was thesame Defense that we destroyed last week. So, if you're somebody that thinks TNF changes the optics of our win on Sunday, go watch Pats-Bills and then tell me how you feel after that.:thmup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Its no different than us dominating the Bills and then they play tuff ahainst the Pats.

I see 6 or 8!teams in a class by themselves and then all the rest in kind of a free for all.  The key is which teams are maintaining, which are improving, and which teams are going the wrong way.

I believe we are trending in the right direction and building a solid base for long-term success and sustainability.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Short week, road game, after just getting their will broken, against a QB who nobody has ever seen....it was a recipe for getting a beat down. I don’t think our win over the Raiders was THAT impressive anyway but this doesn’t take anything away from our team. The thing about this year’s Colts is that I don’t count them out against anybody. They’ll play up or down to their opponents ability it seems. 

We’re a really young team and I love the direction Ballard and Reich are taking us. 

• Like 1

Gruden had 2 weeks to prepare a game plan. His play script was perfect against the Tampa 2. We bullied their defense.

It was just a matter of time before we stepped on their throat and we did. I doubt the Raiders win again this year, and I bet Carr ends up in Jacksonville

Raiders defense sucked against us and the 49ers. Offense is different but their LT (Kolton Miller) got injured early on against the 49ers. They didn't score points nor were they able to move the ball after that. He was injured earlier this year too and Raiders were terrible on offense after that until their bye week during which he seemed to heal a bit until aggrevating his knee against the 49ers.

I don't think they gave up after our game, they (esp. defense) gave up during the 49ers game when 3rd string QB was ripping them to shreds.

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

:scratch:

If you don’t have anything constructive to say, then why even post anything? I’m clearly not the only forum member who thinks alongs these lines. Peyton Manning had a monkey on his back for years. The Colts were annually doubted until we won SB 41. Was there a better era in the Indy era that I missed where people were jumping on the colts bandwagon in support before SB 41? And After Peyton left how many fans left with him? And as we have lost the past 3 years how many more fans have left? 

This team is in a small market. It is what it is.

the Colts weren’t doubted between The beginning of SB 41 and SB 44. After we lost that SB the doubt grew and continued as we let Peyton walk and draft Andrew. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

If you don’t have anything constructive to say, then why even post anything? I’m clearly not the only forum member who thinks alongs these lines. Peyton Manning had a monkey on his back for years. The Colts were annually doubted until we won SB 41. Was there a better era in the Indy era that I missed where people were jumping on the colts bandwagon in support before SB 41? And After Peyton left how many fans left with him? And as we have lost the past 3 years how many more fans have left? 

This team is in a small market. It is what it is.

the Colts weren’t doubted between The beginning of SB 41 and SB 44. After we lost that SB the doubt grew and continued as we let Peyton walk and draft Andrew. 

So who is your people?  The media?  :scratch:

11 hours ago, TheMarine said:

Gruden had 2 weeks to prepare a game plan. His play script was perfect against the Tampa 2. We bullied their defense.

It was just a matter of time before we stepped on their throat and we did. I doubt the Raiders win again this year, and I bet Carr ends up in Jacksonville

Yikes, I would hate to see that.  Are was and has the potential to bounce back and be a beast

Home vs road matters to me - we are a young team and when things are going their way, a young team plays like tigers but when the going gets tough and close, can be more susceptible to losses. We have not had a single win by less than a TD, and I hope that changes later.

Raiders were at home, well rested with 2 weeks to prepare, and they do not have the leadership and talent to go on a short week and keep the game even close, forget winning. Bills are a different team at home, they play better D at home and Josh Allen, is the lesser of 3 evils between him, Peterman and Anderson at this point thus moving the chains somewhat on offense giving their D some rest. 

It is never about who you play, it is when you play them, I firmly believe. If the Jaguars played the Patriots this week, they are getting killed even if the game is in Jacksonville and even if the Patriots don't have Josh Gordon and Sony Michel. 

With our OL getting better, the cherry on the top would be road wins vs Texans, Jaguars and a home win vs the Cowboys. Our OL will get tested again for sure in those games.

21 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

I've seen a number of people on different media suggest that our win over the Raiders looks less impressive after watching the 49ers blow the Raiders out.

The counterpoints that I've seen have been that the Raiders performed this poorly on TNF because the Colts already broke their will on Sunday. The Raiders essentially tapped out after giving up 200 rushing yards and losing their 6th game. Plus it was a short week, which is always harder.

My perspective is this: Our offense played great against the Raiders. Our defense had a rough game.  Simple as that. The Raiders were coming off a bye and had 2 weeks to prepare for us, and they played well. When they dont get that time to prepare, well, Nick Mullens can tell you the rest of the story.

Another point I want to make, is that the Bills had a VERY competitive game against the Patriots on Monday. The Bills Defense played great and held the Patriots offense for much of the game. That was thesame Defense that we destroyed last week. So, if you're somebody that thinks TNF changes the optics of our win on Sunday, go watch Pats-Bills and then tell me how you feel after that.:thmup:

We're small market, coming back from a back from an awful season, etc.. Unless we're lighting it up week in week out, we're not going to get a lot of hype. And lets face up, lighting up the Raiders only gets you so far. We've been very competitive in our losses, and we're improving. I'm happy with that.

National media isn't going to jump on our bandwagon unless we beat a big dog, or simply go on a long and convincing run. We have zero big dogs left on our schedule, so all we can do is be good and beat the teams in front of us. I can easily see us going 5-3 or 6-2 to finish. Everyone is beatable in the AFC South. 

But let's be honest, even when we had Manning shredding records, the media still doubted us. 

The Raiders last 3 games were; Seahawks, Colts, 49'ers.

Both the Seahawks (6 sacks) and the 49'ers (8 sacks) absolutely mauled Carr and the Raiders Offense.  The Colts, as we all saw, had no sacks.

Carr had a QB rating of 83.0 against Seattle, 99.5 against the 49'ers, and 136.6 against the Colts.

The Colts needed this bye week to get some guys healthy for sure.

• Like 2

No. Defensively, yes.  Offensively, we did exactly what a good offense should do against a bad defense.  

As for passing numbers, does the seahawks still play Zone passing defense?  And the 49er's?  either way, our Zone scheme always gets eaten up in the exact same spots on the field.  If Eberflus doesn't change it up on the back end consistently, every QB is going to know where and when to throw the football on every snap.  Also, Eberflus almost never blitzes.  Least blitzing team in the NFL.  IMO you have to send an extra man or two once in a while to make a QB feel uncomfortable.  Eberflus nearly never does.

Also, the only team to score that much against the Raiders was the Browns,...and the Browns lost that game.  So i'd say offensively, We are just fine.

Thursday night football is sorta unfair for the visitors.  The short week is really hard to overcome if you're traveling.

Only visiting teams that significantly outclassed their opponents won.

Atl 12 Phi 18

Balt23 Cin 34

NYJ 17 Cle 21

Min 31 Stl 38

Ind 24 NE 38

Phi 34 NYG 13

Den 45 AZ 10

Mai 23 Hou 42

Oak 03 SF 34

• Like 1

Here's my stance on it,  Jon Gruden is a great offensive minded coach. The year the Bucs won the Super Bowl, their defensive was Monte Kiffin (big on the Cover 2).  Kiffin was in Dallas with Eberflus, so I'm sure that he picked up some schemes and tendencies from Kiffin. Carr isn't a bad Qb, not an all-star, but not bad. I think when you combine Gruden's experience involving the Cover 2, the fact that they were coming off a bye, and that we were without Malik Hooker, the outcome could be expected. We won, they just put up a good amount of points. I don't think that means anything less, with the 49ers blowing them out. Its football. Any given Sunday.

• Like 1