Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darius Leonard Rookie of the Week again

PeterBowman

He's not that good at coverage. But his tackle stats and forced fumbles are outstanding for a rookie. Big plays are important for a defense. And he is providing just that. Love that kid. If he can hold up to this and leads the nfl in tackles at the end of the season, he has to be droy. 

10 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Great great pick by CB.

I don't think you can say he is an elite LB yet....but if he adds some size and strength in the next couple of years...he could be.

He is leading the league in tackles so we could consider him elite.

Just imagine how good he is going to be.

4 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

Statistically he’s gotta be in the lead spot for DROY. I hope he can grab a couple interceptions to further make that case. 

Ive see multiple links that have Leonard as the 2nd best defense of rookie.  They have derwin James as the best defense of player for rookies which is bull crap 

5 hours ago, dodsworth said:

I wouldn't mind Ballard using our first draft pick and find a Leanard

clone to go along side him next year. We need help on the front seven.

Maybe Chase Winovich in the 2nd.  He seems to be a tackling machine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Just read that Leonard dropped to UNDER 220 lbs to get his speed back.  That's awful light for a LB.

And i'm all for leonard...but  9 tackles 1 FF seems kinda light for a ROTW.  Granted the fumble changed the course of the game.

Yeah I heard that too. He was asked if he's around 230 lbs and he laughed/scoffed at that, saying he's like 219 lbs. Thats pretty dang light

2 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

Ive see multiple links that have Leonard as the 2nd best defense of rookie.  They have derwin James as the best defense of player for rookies which is bull crap 

Why so? Derwin is a beast too. 

13 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Just read that Leonard dropped to UNDER 220 lbs to get his speed back.  That's awful light for a LB.

9 hours ago, Calmack said:

Yeah I heard that too. He was asked if he's around 230 lbs and he laughed/scoffed at that, saying he's like 219 lbs. Thats pretty dang light

Often, teams will sacrifice size/weight for the WILL backer in favor of speed and running ability. Often you hear about players coming out from the draft who are seen as either WILL linebackers or strong safeties. These types need to be quick, explosive, and speedy athletes that can find their way through traffic quickly and get to the ball carrier, while the lead blocks are being taken care of by the other linebackers (SAM and MIKE).  Because the cover/Tampa 2 scheme is geared for that guy to fly around and make plays.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Often, teams will sacrifice size/weight for the WILL backer in favor of speed and running ability. Often you hear about players coming out from the draft who are seen as either WILL linebackers or strong safeties. These types need to be quick, explosive, and speedy athletes that can find their way through traffic quickly and get to the ball carrier, while the lead blocks are being taken care of by the other linebackers (SAM and MIKE).  Because the cover/Tampa 2 scheme is geared for that guy to fly around and make plays.

Oh, i get that he needs his speed. That one of his major attributes.  Just makes me worry, 220 for a linebacker is very light, even for a tampa 2 WILL.  There are CB's and WR's bigger than him.  You'd think with as much hitting he does, a little extra weight would be better if just for injury concerns.  But as long as he continues to be everywhere. Does not get ran over, and stays healthy, I'll be happy with whatever he and the coaches decide.

16 hours ago, threeflight said:

Great great pick by CB.

I don't think you can say he is an elite LB yet....but if he adds some size and strength in the next couple of years...he could be.

What's size and atrength have to do with eliteness? 

I think if he improves his coverage skills that would be more elite. Although he does bring his guy down right away. Like others have said a lot of the times they are check down type of passes that are underneath him also. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Oh, i get that he needs his speed. That one of his major attributes.  Just makes me worry, 220 for a linebacker is very light, even for a tampa 2 WILL.  There are CB's and WR's bigger than him.  You'd think with as much hitting he does, a little extra weight would be better if just for injury concerns.  But as long as he continues to be everywhere. Does not get ran over, and stays healthy, I'll be happy with whatever he and the coaches decide.

Weight is not going to prevent you from being injured. I'd rather he be 220, strong, flexible and quick than bigger and slow. But if he can gain weight without sacrificing speed that's a win win. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

Weight is not going to prevent you from being injured. I'd rather he be 220, strong, flexible and quick than bigger and slow. But if he can gain weight without sacrificing speed that's a win win. 

ThAt is not true if it is healthy weight.  When i was playing i was a TE/SS in High school/college. At 6'5" 200 lb. I Definitely felt as though i was always more beat up and sore after games compared to when i added 20-25 lb's.  Still just as fast i was, but just seemed my extra weight helped me absorb hits better.

13 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

ThAt is not true if it is healthy weight.  When i was playing i was a TE/SS in High school/college. At 6'5" 200 lb. I Definitely felt as though i was always more beat up and sore after games compared to when i added 20-25 lb's.  Still just as fast i was, but just seemed my extra weight helped me absorb hits better.

Yes, but he's not 6'5......I'd say 230-240 wouldn't be bad .

my point was he can still be strong as an ox and fast at 220. I'm only 202 but stronger than most around.