Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Do We Improve Our Offensive Line?

Superman

Let's talk football. I'm on Manning overload.

Here are all the offensive linemen on our roster as of the end of 2011:

Castonzo -- tackle

Diem (FA) -- guard/tackle

Ijalana -- guard/tackle

Linkenbach -- tackle

Murphy (future contract) -- guard

Ojinnaka (FA) -- tackle

Olsen (FA) -- guard

Pollak (FA) -- guard/center

Reitz -- tackle

Richard (FA) -- guard

Saturday (FA) -- center

Shipley (future contract) -- center

Five players that started games for us in the last three years are free agents. The only one that's really worth bringing back, based on performance, is Saturday, and he's probably retiring. I think we can pencil Castonzo in as the starting left tackle, and Ijalana will be starting at either right tackle or one of the guard spots.

So we have two starters. If Saturday comes back, we have three starters. We'll have tons of competition in camp, but what can we do to improve our offensive line on opening day? We'll have a rookie quarterback, and probably at least two or three new receivers. It's going to be important to have at least a decent ground game. How do we fix it?

Frog ran a mock payroll for me for 2012, in which we have about $25 million in cap space, and between 8-10 draft picks (let's say we have one compensatory pick at the end of the 4th round, and one at the end of the 6th round, for a total of nine picks). Using those scenarios, what can we do to improve the offensive line?

I was just thinking about this, do you remember that game against San Diego in 2010 where Linkenbach? was playing right guard and got completely pancaked into Manning after the snap. thats the junk Manning had to deal with. Imagine him playing with the Pats O-line.

Charlie Johnson was PM's Left tackle for the end of his Colts career - seriously, thats the best we could do for him?

1. Give Ijalana a fair shot at the LT position as much as Castanzo, IMO. If Castanzo looks better, so be it but I want to know if Ijalana, who played LT for Villanova all these years, can do so against the likes of Freeney at the LT position. Whoever wins the LT position, the other one is the RT. Stick with them as bookend tackles.
  2. Guard - Pollak, Diem, Reitz, Ojinnaka - Pollak and Reitz did well enough for me to unload Diem. Get a stud OG to replace Reitz/Diem, they are good enough but nothing special.
  3. Center - if Saturday retires, put Pollak in at his natural position
  4. Draft an OG and let it play out in TC

So, the lineup could be (from left to right):

Castanzo/Ijalana, Free agent OG/Reitz, Saturday/Pollak, Pollak/Diem/Draft pick, Ijalana/Castanzo

Sign Carl Nicks to start.

He will demand a massive contract but the guy really is that good (a shade under Steve Hutchinson when he left the Seahawks). He's only 26 so you would assume he should be able to play at a high level for another 5-6 seasons. That should line up perfectly with Luck's rookie contract.

After that I would bring back Pollack and Richard for depth purposes only and look to the draft for C, G and possibly RT depending on where Ijalana plays.

I would want Saturday back but I just dont think the guy has much left in the tank. Its time to move on from the Dungy era completely.

We keep the one constant on our line (Saturday). We let Castonzo keep developing and learning at left tackle. We draft a tackle in the later rounds, and make him compete with Ijalana for the right tackle spot. I would like to see Ben play right guard. Left guard is still Reitz.

This is the most important thing: This line needs to get more chemistry. They're all very young except for 2 players. Once they get more comfortable with each other, they'll get better. Ben and Anthony are two great prospects. Saturday could be that guy that molds them together, so I think the Colts should keep him.

I was just thinking about this, do you remember that game against San Diego in 2010 where Linkenbach? was playing right guard and got completely pancaked into Manning after the snap. thats the junk Manning had to deal with. Imagine him playing with the Pats O-line.

Charlie Johnson was PM's Left tackle for the end of his Colts career - seriously, thats the best we could do for him?

I'm on Manning overload....

lol

Sign Carl Nicks to start.

He will demand a massive contract but the guy really is that good (a shade under Steve Hutchinson when he left the Seahawks). He's only 26 so you would assume he should be able to play at a high level for another 5-6 seasons. That should line up perfectly with Luck's rookie contract.

Here's my issue with Nicks. He's an unrestricted free agent, and is probably going to get close to $9 million a year, with probably $20 million signing bonus (Mankins got six years, $51 million, $20 million signing bonus, and that's what Nicks is wanting to top). There's going to be a bidding war for his services, including a lot of teams with more cap space and money to burn that the Colts.

He's really good, and would solidify the interior of our line for half a decade, but he's a former 5th round pick. Can't we draft a really good guard rather than spend that kind of money for Nicks? Will Blackwell out of LSU will be available in later rounds, and he's a good, versatile interior lineman. Why not go that route?

1. Give Ijalana a fair shot at the LT position as much as Castanzo, IMO. If Castanzo looks better, so be it but I want to know if Ijalana, who played LT for Villanova all these years, can do so against the likes of Freeney at the LT position. Whoever wins the LT position, the other one is the RT. Stick with them as bookend tackles.
  2. Guard - Pollak, Diem, Reitz, Ojinnaka - Pollak and Reitz did well enough for me to unload Diem. Get a stud OG to replace Reitz/Diem, they are good enough but nothing special.
  3. Center - if Saturday retires, put Pollak in at his natural position
  4. Draft an OG and let it play out in TC

So, the lineup could be (from left to right):

Castanzo/Ijalana, Free agent OG/Reitz, Saturday/Pollak, Pollak/Diem/Draft pick, Ijalana/Castanzo

Chad is correct here. We need to draft MORE BODIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never thought of Ijalana as a potential LT for us, because all the talk when he came out was that he would be better suited for guard in the NFL. I think it's the shorter arms, and because he's three inches shorter than AC, there wasn't much competition there. I'd rather let both of them develop as bookends and stick them at their respective positions and let them learn.

One thing that the staff will probably do is let everyone sort of duke it out and then sort it out at the end of camp. The cut to 53 is going to be really interesting this year, but with Grigson being a former offensive lineman, I assume he knows what he's looking for.

sorry,

The O-line has struggled ever since Glenn left, and I'm not sure why they didnt make it a priority prior to 2011 draft. I think we'll have to see what saturday does prior to draft day

The Colts drafted Tony Ugoh in '07, Mike Pollak, Steve Justice and Jamey Richard in '08, Jaimie Thomas in '09, and Jacques McClendon in '10. They've been making it a priority to plug holes for quite a while, but kept missing on their picks. I have to hope Grigson is better at evaluating OLine talent than either of the Polians...

The Colts drafted Tony Ugoh in '07, Mike Pollak, Steve Justice and Jamey Richard in '08, Jaimie Thomas in '09, and Jacques McClendon in '10. They've been making it a priority to plug holes for quite a while, but kept missing on their picks. I have to hope Grigson is better at evaluating OLine talent than either of the Polians...

true, when I said priority, I meant scouting

I never thought of Ijalana as a potential LT for us, because all the talk when he came out was that he would be better suited for guard in the NFL. I think it's the shorter arms, and because he's three inches shorter than AC, there wasn't much competition there.

I thought I remembered hearing about Ijalana having long arms prior to the draft, and how that would help him in the NFL?

Also, on different note - it looks like the Colts have added former TCU center Jake Kirkpatrick to the roster.

Here's my issue with Nicks. He's an unrestricted free agent, and is probably going to get close to $9 million a year, with probably $20 million signing bonus (Mankins got six years, $51 million, $20 million signing bonus, and that's what Nicks is wanting to top). There's going to be a bidding war for his services, including a lot of teams with more cap space and money to burn that the Colts.

He's really good, and would solidify the interior of our line for half a decade, but he's a former 5th round pick. Can't we draft a really good guard rather than spend that kind of money for Nicks? Will Blackwell out of LSU will be available in later rounds, and he's a good, versatile interior lineman. Why not go that route?

Very fair points Sup. Im fine if we dont go after Nicks but I think it would be worth the money.

I just think if youre going to spend money in FA, make it along the Oline or Dline. Especially with a rookie QB coming in.

The good thing is if we let alot of guys walk we are going to have alot of picks this year and Grigs is supposedly good at finding guys in the later rounds.

Im with you on Ijalana too. I think he's a better fit at guard.

Very fair points Sup. Im fine if we dont go after Nicks but I think it would be worth the money.

Yes, he'd be worth the money, no doubt. Just wonder if we could be more cost-effective by drafting a couple linemen. This is a really deep draft. If we don't grab a free agent, we MUST draft a good lineman.

I thought I remembered hearing about Ijalana having long arms prior to the draft, and how that would help him in the NFL?

Also, on different note - it looks like the Colts have added former TCU center Jake Kirkpatrick to the roster.

Long arms help for OT because it gives a OT separation between him and the defender

I never thought of Ijalana as a potential LT for us, because all the talk when he came out was that he would be better suited for guard in the NFL. I think it's the shorter arms, and because he's three inches shorter than AC, there wasn't much competition there. I'd rather let both of them develop as bookends and stick them at their respective positions and let them learn.

One thing that the staff will probably do is let everyone sort of duke it out and then sort it out at the end of camp. The cut to 53 is going to be really interesting this year, but with Grigson being a former offensive lineman, I assume he knows what he's looking for.

Ijalana has 36" inch arms to Costanzo with 34.5, Ijalana had a 1.75 ten yard dash to 1.80 for Costanzo indicating a slightly quicker first step to play T.

I don't get how people are still saying Ijalana will be a better guard than tackle. To my knowledge, Ijalana has never played a down at guard so how anybody could say he would be better there is beyond me. Maybe he would be a good guard but who knows since he's never played the position(except maybe in high school, I have no idea). I think Castonzo and Ijalana will be fine at the tackle spots and Reitz will be fine at one of the guard spots. That leaves them needing a better center and another guard. IMO Saturday will not be back and nobody else on the roster has done anything to impress me at the guard spot. I think they should keep Ojinaka around as a backup because in the time he played last season he done pretty good.

I don't get how people are still saying Ijalana will be a better guard than tackle. To my knowledge, Ijalana has never played a down at guard so how anybody could say he would be better there is beyond me.

Exactly. He played LT every year at Nova. He's got the skills to be a tackle all he needs is the opportunity and he will hopefully will use that opportunity successfully.

Well I really like our two young tackles. I think they are going to be very good. I also liked Reitz at guard. So that leaves question marks at center and guard. I would love for us to target the Ravens Grubbs as a free agent. If we could land him that leaves a hole at center. I would really love for us to try to talk Saturday into one more year to help tranistion Luck. I really think Saturday could help not only with Luck but helping to grow a young line and can tell Luck you worry about everything else I got the line and just take one thing off Luck for a year. I would then like for us to draft a young center in the draft to be groomed to take over the following year.

from the videos i've seen, luck will blossom behind a mediocre o-line. i am much more worried about defense and receivers

Luck had a phenomenal line at Stanford. Would not like to have a Blaine Gabbert who soils himself when he sees the pass rush. Getting protection for this kid should be a priority, with the top priority be getting him some weapons. Look how the Packers brought Rodgers in. They brought him in to an offense with stars at each position. Great O-line, great receivers and a good running back. That's what the Colts must do, so they better get busy in the FA.

Luck had a phenomenal line at Stanford. Would not like to have a Blaine Gabbert who soils himself when he sees the pass rush. Getting protection for this kid should be a priority, with the top priority be getting him some weapons. Look how the Packers brought Rodgers in. They brought him in to an offense with stars at each position. Great O-line, great receivers and a good running back. That's what the Colts must do, so they better get busy in the FA.

I think the Packers o line can be overrated at times. Rodgers has gotten pounded at times over the years. His mobility and quick release make up for a lot of issues.

Now the Saints o line....yeah. They can be nice.....

I think the Packers o line can be overrated. Rodgers has gotten pounded at times over the years. His mobility and quick release make up for a lot of issues.

Now the Saints o line....yeah. Thats nice at times.

They have Chad Clifton, pro bowler back then. Scott Wells who was turning into a good center. Josh Sitton was a good rookie guard with Spitz being a nice guard. Colledge was inconsistent, but not bad at RT. They had a good line back then. Today, you could call it more overrated, but this year they had so many injuries to that line like losing Clifton was tough.

The Saints O-line is the best O-line. Put me in there and I put up Drew Brees numbers :thmup:

They have Chad Clifton, pro bowler back then. Scott Wells who was turning into a good center. Josh Sitton was a good rookie guard with Spitz being a nice guard. Colledge was inconsistent, but not bad at RT. They had a good line back then. Today, you could call it more overrated, but this year they had so many injuries to that line like losing Clifton was tough.

The Saints O-line is the best O-line. Put me in there and I put up Drew Brees numbers :thmup:

True. Packers had some o line injuries for this year that really hurt at times. (if you can call their offensive production hurting lol) Mostly at tackle. They could run the ball better though.

Yep, the Saints o line has made me drool. They seem to do it all.

We have to have money first. Irsay said at the Manning presser we have to make more roster moves just to be able to sign our draft picks. It could be we don't have money although I hope we do because I really would like to see us go get a guy like Grubbs.

Aaron Rodgers got sacked 50 times a couple years ago. That's not indicative of a good o-line.

Banged up line that year. Everyone missed time with either injuries or personal matters.

Clifton missed some games

Wells missed a couple of games

Both guards had off years

It was an off year overall that year, and it didn't help that Rodgers was running more freely out of the pocket.

We have to have money first. Irsay said at the Manning presser we have to make more roster moves just to be able to sign our draft picks. It could be we don't have money although I hope we do because I really would like to see us go get a guy like Grubbs.

Grubbs is expensive and looked very weak in the latter part of last year. Too much of a ballsy pick especially in a rebuilding mode. Bring back Jeff for one more year to mould the line together and draft a guard in one of the middle rounds, even bring in some UDFAs. The good guards in the FA are Cap Space killers.

Banged up line that year. Everyone missed time with either injuries or personal matters.

Clifton missed some games

Wells missed a couple of games

Both guards had off years

It was an off year overall that year, and it didn't help that Rodgers was running more freely out of the pocket.

He was holding the ball too long that year.

To be honest, I like 4 out of 5 spots on the line, assuming Pollak is resigned and Saturday retires.

LT - Anthony Castonzo - He had no offseason, so he was essentially thrown into the fire, and he performed admirably. Give him a full offseason and he's a top 10 LT this year, and that ranking only goes up as he matures.

LG - Joe Reitz - Was a college basketball player. Did not play football until he went to the pros. His is really kind of an unbelievable story...at least to me. He was projected to be a Tackle, and bounced around on two different practice squads before he found a home on our roster. For a guy who's been playing football for 3 years, and just moved to guard this year, I'd say he looked pretty dang good. I look for him to make an even greater improvement and I think LG is set.

C - Mike Pollak - He completely outperformed Ryan Diem this year, yet for some reason Diem was normally the starter. Diem needs to go. Saturday had a great year, but with the rebuilding thing, I see him being gone. Why would he want to come back anyway? If he goes anywhere it might be to follow Manning but I think he's done. Pollak was a Center in college, and the few times he's had a chance to play it here, he's shown he could be our Center of the future. As much crap he gets I don't understand. He is a quality Guard, and will be an even better Center.

RG - This is the one spot I don't have an answer for. Maybe Tepper can improve but who knows. I don't know if we have the funds to go out and get Evan Mathis or Jake Scott, but that is always an option. If not though, it's a position that could possibly be filled in this draft, and just throw the guy into the fire to see how he does. Lucas Nix out of Pittsburgh is a guy I like, and he projects to be a 4th round draft pick.

RT - Ben Ijalana - In his brief minute of playing LT, he looked good. Sure it was against the Bucs, but it was still promising. I don't see how we could put out a worse RT than Linkenbach, so I'd say just hand the spot to Ij and hopefully he doesn't have another freak injury.

He was holding the ball too long that year.

Not really, it was more inexperience and more getting used to the system. He was running a lot and making rookie mistakes (although he wasn't a rookie).

Actually, Baray picked up Linkenbach and threw him into Manning for the Sack. I was pretty sure Linkenbach would be gone at the end of that season.

But, that's been the problem with the Colts; Scott-NO......Lilja-NO........Linkenbach-YES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0W2E-9Ly5w

for what it's worth, when they were talking to Jeff Saturday at the combine, on NFL Network, he said that in his opinion Ijalana was so good and talented and "fluid" in his movement, that he fully expects Ijalana to end up as the LT and Castonzo as the RT, possibly as soon as THIS season

Colts O-Line will look vastly different if you ask me. Colts aren't going to drop back 40 times a game anymore and are going to look for bruisers. We have a slew of running backs that all better be running hard if they want to remain in the nfl and all have questionable contracts. They all will hopefully be told to step up and run their butts off this year. Look we have one concussion riddled wr and an injured te coming back. Luck has no one to throw to so we won't be look at pass blocking line men but road graters.

Any O-Line that does not include Jeff Link-to-a-sack or Mike Pollack as starters will be an improvement.

It is really sad that we seem to have this discussion nearly every year for the last 4 or 5 years. I don't care if the linemen are big, small, just want them to be able to open a hole for a rb and give the QB at least a couple of seconds to throw without being mugged. If we don't do something, I am afraid we are setting Luck up for a difficult year- and God forbid- injury. WR's would be nice to throw to, but if he is always running for his life, that is just wrong.

Seems like a mixture of a serviceable G and C (assuming Saturday leaves) as FA's plus a draft pick or two would seem realistic and doable.