Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Path to 53 (Colts Roster Cuts Thread)

TKnight24

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Well I don't know about all that, but I think it is important to know that the media is finally attributing the TJ Green selection to CP, who couldn't be fired by RG. 

You know, a nonmeddling GM listens to his HC's advice.

The smart people knew...without spoon-fed proof (or a media comment three years later).....knew that Green was taken with CPs advice, as was DJ Smith and Werner.

Just for the record, which draft picks was Grigson responsible for? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Since they locked the other thread I was right when I said the Raiders would trade Mack.  Most everyone said I was wrong.  I guess not.  We were in the hunt but Ballard failed to get it done.  It looks like he tried but he failed like I thought he would.  This was our chance to fix our ER problem.  Now it's back to wishing and hoping we find the right guy in the draft.  A real missed opportunity.  I would not want to be in his shoes when he has to explain to Irsay how he got away.  For his sake it has to be a boatload of picks. 

Just how do you know what was said or done concerning Mack? 

As far as Ballard explaining to Irsay ow Mack got away just maybe it was Irsay who said no when he found out how much he would cost?

Add the fact that just maybe Gruden didn't want Mack in the AFC? 

You assume way too much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, Bshultz said:

Just for the record, which draft picks was Grigson responsible for? 

The reality as a GM...the last word being "manager"...means to take the advice of your subordinates, especially in the areas of their expertise.  

I assume that when the HC is evaluating players, his favorable recommendation weighs into the GMs decision.  And Irsay would want to know who is actually responsible for evaluating the talent. 

He would want a player more than the other guy.  He wouldn't want to fire the wrong one.  

Maybe some GMs are too nice and listen to their coach too much, or can't stand up to their pestering.  

Ron Meyer wanted Dan Marino and not Tony Eason.  He was told that his role was to coach the players he was given.  That would be a situation where the full responsibility of the decision is on the GM.  It doesn't sound like Irsay ever gave RG that level of responsibility.

Just now, DougDew said:

The reality as a GM...the last word being "manager"...means to take the advice of your subordinates, especially in the areas of their expertise.  Giving in once in a while is a managerial trademark.  Never doing that is authoritarian. 

I assume that when the HC is evaluating players, his favorably recommendation weighs into the GMs decision.  And Irsay would want to know who is actually responsible for evaluating the talent. 

He would want a player more than the other guy.  He wouldn't want to fire the wrong one.  

Maybe some GMs are too nice and listen to their coach too much, or can't stand up to their pestering.  

Ron Meyer wanted Dan Marino and not Tony Eason.  He was told that his role was to coach the players he was given.  That would be a situation where the full responsibility of the decision is on the GM.  It doesn't sound like Irsay ever gave RG that level of responsibility.

That's a fact.  No matter what anybody else says.

See Joe Thomas

10 minutes ago, Reidm said:

Either way he is the one who put an incompetent staff around himself.

You're talking about Jim Irsay?

If I'm Irsay, I would always want to know who pounded the table for whom, and who was meh about it.   And I would have an opinion about who should have the most insight into picking defensive players for the defense they have been coaching for years.

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The reality as a GM...the last word being "manager"...means to take the advice of your subordinates, especially in the areas of their expertise.  

I assume that when the HC is evaluating players, his favorable recommendation weighs into the GMs decision.  And Irsay would want to know who is actually responsible for evaluating the talent. 

I think he did, and honestly scouts probably have as much or more input than the head coach.

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You're talking about Jim Irsay?

If I'm Irsay, I would always want to know who pounded the table for whom, and who was meh about it.   And I would have an opinion about who should have the most insight into picking defensive players for the defense they have been coaching for years.

No,  Grigson hired pagano and the scouts

7 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I think he did, and honestly scouts probably have as much or more input than the head coach.

Would Irsay set up the organization in a way that RG was to supply CP with the players CP needed to run his defense, but then blame RG when CP is given the player CP advocated?

An owner would have to be stoned to set it up that way.

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

No,  Grigson hired pagano and the scouts

And Pagano wanted Green, Werner, and Smith.  Both Green and Werner by name.  Specific players.

It wasn't a "hey GM, I need 1st round talent guy at edge and a 2nd round talent at S, can you get me those kind of guys for my defense?  I'm going to the beach.  See you at camp."

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just how do you know what was said or done concerning Mack? 

As far as Ballard explaining to Irsay ow Mack got away just maybe it was Irsay who said no when he found out how much he would cost?

Add the fact that just maybe Gruden didn't want Mack in the AFC? 

You assume way too much.

Amazing that this isn't discussed much with a trade like this. 

In the NBA, a high profile trade rarely occurs within the same conference... Too risky come playoff time. Now I understand there is a big difference between the sports and leagues, but I'm sure the mindset on trading players within conference is similar. 

Just now, DougDew said:

Would Irsay set up the organization in a way that RG was to supply CP with the players CP needed to run his defense, but then blame RG when CP is given the player CP advocated?

An owner would have to be stoned to set it up that way.

A coach tells a GM what types of players he needs to run his system. Its then the scouts and GM responsibility to bring in the talent. It seems you like RG and not CP. But the facts are RG gets the final say. I HIGHLY doubt that CP lobbied for Dorrest to be picked in round 1 when we had huge defensive needs and Landon Collins for instance on the board. I believe CP would have preferred a different player. RG strength was he was suppose to be a good talent evaluator IMO he wasn't, he was arrogant, and got to cute with picks like Dorrest when you had a guy with his skill set in TY.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Amazing that this isn't discussed much with a trade like this. 

In the NBA, a high profile trade rarely occurs within the same conference... Too risky come playoff time. Now I understand there is a big difference between the sports and leagues, but I'm sure the mindset on trading players within conference is similar. 

Happens a lot in MLB and NHL too

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And Pagano wanted Green, Werner, and Smith.  Both Green and Werner by name.  Specific players.

It wasn't a "hey GM, I need 1st round talent guy at edge and a 2nd round talent at S, can you get me those guys?  I'm going to the beach.  See you at camp."

But Grigson made the picks.  He should have done better research on the players I guess.   Grigson was fired because he wasn't good at his job.   

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

It wasn't a "hey GM, I need 1st round talent guy at edge and a 2nd round talent at S, can you get me those guys?  I'm going to the beach.  See you at camp."

How do you know this? I mean, all I heard about Grigson, he was the polar opposite of letting others to make decisions. There were documented cases, when he insisted that certain players should start and others shouldn't. It's hard to believe that he gave out a first rounder and 2 second rounders like "okay coach, if you want them, i will draft them".