Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Besides Luck & Manning

Shadow_Creek

ive only been a colts fan since 2003 so i would like to pose a question to the die heart veterans of the horse shoe. Now i do of course know that Peyton Manning had an amazing career here in Indy and successfully lead the colts to multiple playoff appearances just like Andrew Luck who is our current QB. However besides those two did any other QB have a great year with Indy and were we in the playoffs before Manning and Luck?

• Like 1

The closest qb after them was Jim Harbaugh. He was a comeback artist like Luck from what I hear (i was just a kid when he played here). The only other great qb for the colts was Johnny Unitas, but that was way back in Baltimore.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

ive only been a colts fan since 2003 so i would like to pose a question to the die heart veterans of the horse shoe. Now i do of course know that Peyton Manning had an amazing career here in Indy and successfully lead the colts to multiple playoff appearances just like Andrew Luck who is our current QB. However besides those two did any other QB have a great year with Indy and were we in the playoffs before Manning and Luck?

Captain Comeback...Jim Harbaugh had a solid year here and almost had an amazing playoff run but we lost to the Steelers.

He had 4 years here but they weren't all great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Phillip Walker is the name you're looking for.

I didn't commit to being a Colts fan until around 02'/03' TBH. I grew up in a 9ers house, but by the time I'd gone to a few Colts games it occurred to me that I was rooting for them and wasn't following the Tim Rattay 9ers.. BUT the 95' team did get some run and I'll never forget the AFCCG that year (or the game where they beat the Chargers, the same ones the 9ers beat up on). One thing that goes kind of unnoticed in that story is how rapidly the mid 90's squad came apart and they ended up with the first pick a few years later. 

Bert Jones is a guy who'll get mentioned in this thread. Didn't see him, wasn't alive to. 

1 minute ago, Shadow_Creek said:

wow i guess the steelers have always been a thorn in our side:Cry:

Yes. Which is why some of us actually have a burning of dislike towards them over the Patriots... 

Harbaugh was magical to witness in person. No game was too big or small and we always had a shot at the end. 

Jeff George... well... he was supposed to be the original savior like Peyton Manning. In the end, he was closer to Ryan Leaf territory sadly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shadow_Creek said:

wow i guess the steelers have always been a thorn in our side:Cry:

You have no idea.

A friend of mine from Kindergarten is/was the nephew of Chuck Noll. When Chuck became the Steelers HC back in the early 70s, we made a life long bet on each game, double for playoff games. At the time the Steelers stunk, and the Colts were a perennial playoff team. How could I lose?

"Bragging rights" as left my vocabulary.

Just now, RollerColt said:

Jeff George... well... he was supposed to be the original savior like Peyton Manning. In the end, he was closer to Ryan Leaf territory sadly.

he had a surprisingly long career unlike leaf, but he was never anyone's savior 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Unfortunately success was not around much.  Harbaugh had a decent year or 2, but he wasn't great.   Before him was a few wasted years with Jeff George.   Jack Trudeau and Mike Pagel before that.   As you can imagine, no success.  Throw in a couple years of Art Schlichter and Mark Herrman and you have your answer.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

Captain Comeback...Jim Harbaugh had a solid year here and almost had an amazing playoff run but we GOT CHEATED by the Steelers.

He had 4 years here but they weren't all great.

Fixed it for ya. My sister-in-law babysat for Harbaugh.  I liked Harbaugh and Jack Trudeau. I've only been a Colts fan since they moved to Indy. I was 5 when they moved here. The only other team I have really watched was the Bears because thats who I played peewee for. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I'll bet you Art Schlichter was supposed to be the original savior 

• Like 1

Jack Trudeau got them to the playoffs in 87 but I don’t think anyone would say he had a great season.  They got there on their running game and defense.  

I know it’s been said but Harbaugh was the runner up for MVP in 1995 when they got to the AFCCG.  He got them back to the playoffs the following year, although Harbaugh was not as good as in 1995, and those were all three of the playoff seasons pre-Manning.  

If you want to go back to Baltimore Johnny U, Morrall, and Jones had some good seasons to get them to the playoffs.  

13 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Yes. Which is why some of us actually have a burning of dislike towards them over the Patriots... 

Harbaugh was magical to witness in person. No game was too big or small and we always had a shot at the end. 

George was not like Leaf at all.

Leaf- 3 years in the league- 21 games-14 TDs-36 Ints.

George- 12 years in the league-131 games-154 TDs-113 ints.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, The Fish said:

Phillip Walker is the name you're looking for.

I didn't commit to being a Colts fan until around 02'/03' TBH. I grew up in a 9ers house, but by the time I'd gone to a few Colts games it occurred to me that I was rooting for them and wasn't following the Tim Rattay 9ers.. BUT the 95' team did get some run and I'll never forget the AFCCG that year (or the game where they beat the Chargers, the same ones the 9ers beat up on). One thing that goes kind of unnoticed in that story is how rapidly the mid 90's squad came apart and they ended up with the first pick a few years later. 

Bert Jones is a guy who'll get mentioned in this thread. Didn't see him, wasn't alive to. 

Bert Jones was a pleasure to watch play. He threw the prettiest spirals you ever seen. Dude did it all as a QB but injury claimed him.

I once read that Belichick said he was the best pure passer he has ever seen.  There is no reason to disbelieve him either.

He is the player that made me a Colts fan.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, aaron11 said:

he had a surprisingly long career unlike leaf, but he was never anyone's savior 

Not a savior but he did have a great year in 1999 playing for the Vikings. He went 8-2 in the 10 games he started and had a rating of 94.2 with 23 TDs and 2,816 yds.  Those are great numbers for any QB to have.

The only numbers that  Leaf had were on a prison suit. :yuk:

Been a Colts fan since 1984, as far as the Indianapolis Colts are concerned my Top 5 QB's are:

1. Peyton Manning - SB Title in 2006! 7 straight 12+ win seasons from 2003-2009.

2. Andrew Luck - 3 solid seasons from 2012-2014. 1 AFC Title Game Appearance in 2014.

3. Jim Harbaugh - Who can forget 1995! We were a play away from going to the SB. Jim had several comeback wins that season.

4. Jack Trudeau - We won the AFC East in 1987 by going 9-6 with him as starting QB for 8 games that season. He started the last 2 games of that season as well clinching the Division. He wasn't Great but was a QB that didn't make many mistakes that season. Dickerson carried the team on Offense in reality.

5. Chris Chandler - Talented QB and a QB many never bring up in here. He had a record of 9-4 in 1988. Unfortunately we missed the Playoffs that season at 9-7.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matabix said:

Amazing thing about Jim Harbaugh is he was our back up. We traded for or got in FA. Craig Erickson. Erickson kept getting hurt and Harbaugh had to keep proving time and time again why he should be starter.

We traded a 1st RD pick for Erickson! Yikes

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Bert Jones was a pleasure to watch play. He threw the prettiest spirals you ever seen. Dude did it all as a QB but injury claimed him.

I once read that Belichick said he was the best pure passer he has ever seen.  There is no reason to disbelieve him either.

He is the player that made me a Colts fan.

He’s what made me a Colts. Unfortunately the injuries did Bert in and cut his career short. Sadly, he finished up briefly with the Rams.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Been a Colts fan since 1984, as far as the Indianapolis Colts are concerned my Top 5 QB's are:

1. Peyton Manning - SB Title in 2006! 7 straight 12+ win seasons from 2003-2009.

2. Andrew Luck - 3 solid seasons from 2012-2014. 1 AFC Title Game Appearance in 2014.

3. Jim Harbaugh - Who can forget 1995! We were a play away from going to the SB. Jim had several comeback wins that season.

4. Jack Trudeau - We won the AFC East in 1987 by going 9-6 with him as starting QB for 8 games that season. He started the last 2 games of that season as well clinching the Division. He wasn't Great but was a QB that didn't make many mistakes that season. Dickerson carried the team on Offense in reality.

5. Chris Chandler - Talented QB and a QB many never bring up in here. He had a record of 9-4 in 1988. Unfortunately we missed the Playoffs that season at 9-7.

Yes Chandler showed some promise.  Didn't we trade him for a ham sandwich in order to make room for Jeffy G?  If so, bad move.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes Chandler showed some promise.  Didn't we trade him for a ham sandwich in order to make room for Jeffy G?  If so, bad move.

He did.....Unfortunately the early part of his career was marked by injuries.... earning him the nickname “Crystal Chandelier”.

He went on to have a couple really good seasons with Atlanta.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Correct to Atlanta with Andre Rison! Also swapped 1st in order to draft George.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

George was not like Leaf at all.

Leaf- 3 years in the league- 21 games-14 TDs-36 Ints.

George- 12 years in the league-131 games-154 TDs-113 ints.

You're right, I guess my point was that George failed to live up to expectations whilst here. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

You're right, I guess my point was that George failed to live up to expectations whilst here. 

Yes...the mullet....that isn't the only thing Jeff had in common with Billy Ray Cyrus...Jeff was a 1 hit wonder as well with that year in Minnesota. He was the coach killer. Every coach saw his arm and talent and thought he could get them to the playoffs but in the end he got them all fired lol.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, KB said:

The closest qb after them was Jim Harbaugh. He was a comeback artist like Luck from what I hear (i was just a kid when he played here). The only other great qb for the colts was Johnny Unitas, but that was way back in Baltimore.

You have forgotten about Bert Jones apparently he was Ridiculously goodRidiculously good!! If not for injury and the Steelers and Raiders being so good he may even be a household name!!  He played in Baltimore.I would probably list Indianapolis quarterbacks as Manning luck Harbaugh Trudo George and then Chandler! George was tremendously talented very mature later in his career he played much better!

• Like 1

Manning, Unitas, Jones, and Luck.  And in that order, for now, I think.  Oh, and a 'best supporting' to Earl Morrall, who went 22-3-1 as a Colts QB, and was the guy who held down the fort during Super Bowl V for that first title for the franchise. 

As an organization, with Manning and Unitas, the Colts are at the top in terms of all-time great QBs - both are probably top 5.  The 49ers, with Montana and Young, the Packers with Favre and Rodgers, would be up there. 

Harbaugh was very good in 1995 - highest rated passer, led numerous comebacks, got a few MVP votes, and was a dropped Hail Mary away from the Super Bowl.

Bert Jones had a lot of potential, but injuries derailed his career.

Earl Morral won the MVP in '68 and won Super Bowl V in '70.

33 minutes ago, #12. said:

As an organization, with Manning and Unitas, the Colts are at the top in terms of all-time great QBs - both are probably top 5.  The 49ers, with Montana and Young, the Packers with Favre and Rodgers, would be up there. 

Harbaugh was very good in 1995 - highest rated passer, led numerous comebacks, got a few MVP votes, and was a dropped Hail Mary away from the Super Bowl.

Bert Jones had a lot of potential, but injuries derailed his career.

Earl Morral won the MVP in '68 and won Super Bowl V in '70.

Bert Jones had much more than POTETIAl he won an MVP!

4 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Bert Jones had much more than POTETIAl he won an MVP!

Sorry, a little before my time.  I don't have that era on instant recall.  :).  I have to watch Youtube videos to see Unitas or Jones.

13 minutes ago, #12. said:

Sorry, a little before my time.  I don't have that era on instant recall.  :).  I have to watch Youtube videos to see Unitas or Jones.

13 minutes ago, #12. said:

It’s cool think of Brett Farve meets Ben Rothlisberger a little like luck too! A cannon for an arm, athletic, from  Louisiana, and fiery as could be! Would scream at officials often if they made a bad call or missed one! Nick named the  Ruston rifle! Those Baltimore Colt teams were very good! And fun to watch!e probably had the best Colts offense of line I’ve ever seen!