Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nelson at RT?

SteelDragon

23 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Guard is the glaring weakness on this team not tackle.

Ehh with Slauson, Mewhort and Smith now on the depth chart I wouldn't say it's a glaring weakness anymore.  

And honestly if there was reason to believe that Nelson could play well at RT it would be a good idea.  

But as I said before.  If Nelson could play on the outside he would have lined up there in college.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2018 at 2:11 PM, Superman said:

I saw this article last night. There's zero reason to even consider moving Nelson to tackle. 

I've been gone since like a week after the draft.  It's good to see the same things are still being discussed around here and nothing has been missed.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Maybe we could move Andrew Luck to strong safety. That way he wont need to throw the ball!!

He's a good tackler!!!!

I think it's a great idea!!!!:lecture:

I was gonna say Andrew is getting strong enough for RT....

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2018 at 8:08 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think Smith has the arms for tackle....  

i think his are 32 and change...   sub-33 rarely gets moved outside....    I’ll double check and see...

Edit Note:   Yup...   Smith’s arms are 32 1/4 .   Those arms belong on a guard, likely not a tackle.   He’s our RG of the future,  likely 2019.

You are one that commonly keys in on the arm length thing. Read the article attached if you like. This is something that can be debunked if you will because there is no key issue with performance based on arm length. You do want longer arms and I will not argue that, but saying Smith has shorter arms so don't put him out there is simply irresponsible.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/does-arm-length-affect-ot-play 

4 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

You are one that commonly keys in on the arm length thing. Read the article attached if you like. This is something that can be debunked if you will because there is no key issue with performance based on arm length. You do want longer arms and I will not argue that, but saying Smith has shorter arms so don't put him out there is simply irresponsible.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/does-arm-length-affect-ot-play

DC...

You're one of my favorite posters.   So imagine my surprise to visit this website and to see you use the word “irresponsible” with me.

Really?     Seriously?

You act as if that article is the Holy Grail.   That it’s the definitive view of  arm length.    It’s not.

As it turns out, I have a full day today, but I did the same Google search that you did.    And when I have time and can post a full response...   I think you’ll have a different perspective.

By the way, the whole arm length thing is NOT my opinion.  It’s the view of the National Football League.   I’m not even sure PFF,  the website where you pulled that article from,  accepts the findings of that article.

But we’ll save that for another day....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

DC...

You're one of my favorite posters.   So imagine my surprise to visit this website and to see you use the word “irresponsible” with me.

Really?     Seriously?

You act as if that article is the Holy Grail.   That it’s the definitive view of  arm length.    It’s not.

As it turns out, I have a full day today, but I did the same Google search that you did.    And when I have time and can post a full response...   I think you’ll have a different perspective.

By the way, the whole arm length thing is NOT my opinion.  It’s the view of the National Football League.   I’m not even sure PFF,  the website where you pulled that article from,  accepts the findings of that article.

But we’ll save that for another day....

Alright let me start with an apology because the word irresponsible was well irresponsible on my part...

Now I am not trying to say this website or even article is holy grail but also I am saying this as a debate towards your typical view towards this topic. I personally have never seen a huge issue on hand size and arm length. Granted you want guys with 12 inch mits and 38 inch arms for your tackles, all understood, but skills can still be there with arms under 34 or even 33 inches.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Alright let me start with an apology because the word irresponsible was well irresponsible on my part...

Now I am not trying to say this website or even article is holy grail but also I am saying this as a debate towards your typical view towards this topic. I personally have never seen a huge issue on hand size and arm length. Granted you want guys with 12 inch mits and 38 inch arms for your tackles, all understood, but skills can still be there with arms under 34 or even 33 inches.

I actually agreed with your original comment.  This isn't directed at NCF or anyone in particular, but I completely agree that it would be irresponsible to not even try Smith at OT simply because his arms are shorter than the desired length.  If there is any thought at all that he could play OT then try him at OT.  

Same with Nelson...if there's any reason to think he could thrive at OT and you want to try him out there then do it.  Don't not do it just because "he's always been a Guard".  Try the new guys all over the Line and see where they perform the best.

• Like 2

I would think that our coaches have done enough research on Nelson and Smith to make a sound judgement on where they best fit on the offensive line.  To suggest they are irresponsible for not considering other positions based on arm length or anything else makes no sense.  I would lean toward the conclusion that they have considered all position fits and will play them where they will have the highest likelihood of success.  After all they are being paid to put together the best offensive line they can.  Their job is on the line if they're wrong.  I have never been a fan of position switches.  A player earns their way to the NFL based on how they played in college and primarily at one position.  IMO you take advantage of that success and coach it up even more.  

No thank you!

I've seen enough running plays blown up in the backfield because the A and B gaps were out-manned.

I've seen enough QB pressures, hits, and sacks because the A and B gaps were out-manned.

I've seen enough inability to step up in the pocket to avoid the edge rushers because the A and B gaps were out-manned.

And...

I strongly reject any criteria that attempts to devalue the importance of OG talent, and the major role they play in determining wins and losses.

Thanks, but no thanks!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, J@son said:

I actually agreed with your original comment.  This isn't directed at NCF or anyone in particular, but I completely agree that it would be irresponsible to not even try Smith at OT simply because his arms are shorter than the desired length.  If there is any thought at all that he could play OT then try him at OT.  

Same with Nelson...if there's any reason to think he could thrive at OT and you want to try him out there then do it.  Don't not do it just because "he's always been a Guard".  Try the new guys all over the Line and see where they perform the best.

I agree with you but as I commented back to NCF the wording could have been better directed. Regardless we do agree on the basic principle. Arm length has never been a huge issue to me. Just like hand size. If a guy shows signs of possibly being good at RT and has yet to take a pro snap, you do not deny him the opportunity merely because his arm length.

18 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I would think that our coaches have done enough research on Nelson and Smith to make a sound judgement on where they best fit on the offensive line.  To suggest they are irresponsible for not considering other positions based on arm length or anything else makes no sense.  

then you're not understanding the point.  My point is, if the coaches simply looked at Smith's arm length and said "no, he could never play tackle because his arms are 3/4 of an inch shorter than desired" then I would consider that irresponsible.  However, I have full faith at this point in our coaching staff to have taken that into consideration.  So if they decide to try Smith out at RT then great.  If they decide not to then that's great too.  I have no problem either way so long as they did their due diligence.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:46 PM, Valpo2004 said:

Ehh with Slauson, Mewhort and Smith now on the depth chart I wouldn't say it's a glaring weakness anymore.  

And honestly if there was reason to believe that Nelson could play well at RT it would be a good idea.  

But as I said before.  If Nelson could play on the outside he would have lined up there in college.  

Nelson is a pure guard if he could play tackle then he would have played it in college.