Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

John Simon on the trading block?

CR91

Yes I know it is still OTAs and you take what the team is doing with a grain of salt, however basham getting the early reps with the ones along with drafting turay and lewis and then picking up chris mccain, there is some heavy competition in a position that is kinda out of position for Simon. Of course this is complete speculation, but we've already seen it with henry anderson and the Colts are in need of LB and CB depth so this could be something to monitor. Thoughts?

Maybe the neck is an issue? Seems way more common these days (the injury).

Or just early in the season. Otas I'd say aren't extremely important, they're important, but we know this time of year doesn't mean much usually come September.

I still think he would be the best SAM on this team. But it seems like they moved him away from that position so he could be on the field more. Playing him behind Basham doesn't really accomplish that. 

I don't really have a problem with trading him if he doesn't fit. But I don't think he is going to fetch much. It sounds funny...but if he isn't fully healthy and/or gets outplayed in TC...I could see him ending up on the chopping block.

• Like 1

Simon started out as a DT then played DE.  Yes, he's undersized for the line, but they seem to want speed more than bulk.

During the presser Reich made a point of praising Simon and his versatility.  I know that could be viewed in several ways, but as FR always says, he's coaching the guys that are there.  I doubt he's building up their trade value.

As the OP said, it's early.

Simon will rotate into the line up if we retain him. Their looking for 8-9 guys for their defensive attack. They had Audrey at the 1 tech during OTA’s. This is something truly smart on their behalf getting depth. We just seen Clay Matthews complaining about the lack of depth GB has. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Simon will rotate into the line up if we retain him. Their looking for 8-9 guys for their defensive attack. They had Audrey at the 1 tech during OTA’s. This is something truly smart on their behalf getting depth. We just seen Clay Matthews complaining about the lack of depth GB has. 

They had Autry lined up at NT?

4 minutes ago, J@son said:

They had Autry lined up at NT?

Staying with the big fellas, only on defense, the Colts showed a base first-team defensive line look that included Jabaal Sheard and Tarell Basham at defensive end and Al Woods (one-technique) and Denico Autry (three-technique) at defensive tackle. But, again, just like last Wednesday’s practice, lots of other players were seen filling in up front, like fourth-year veteran Rakeem Nunez-Roches, who appeared to be spelling Woods at the one-tech spot. Margus Hunt (defensive tackle) and John Simon (defensive end) were also rotating in and out.

https://www.colts.com/news/2018-colts-practice-notes-otas-day-4

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Yes I know it is still OTAs and you take what the team is doing with a grain of salt, however basham getting the early reps with the ones along with drafting turay and lewis and then picking up chris mccain, there is some heavy competition in a position that is kinda out of position for Simon. Of course this is complete speculation, but we've already seen it with henry anderson and the Colts are in need of LB and CB depth so this could be something to monitor. Thoughts?

No cuz our MLB is darius leonard or anythony walker

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Staying with the big fellas, only on defense, the Colts showed a base first-team defensive line look that included Jabaal Sheard and Tarell Basham at defensive end and Al Woods (one-technique) and Denico Autry (three-technique) at defensive tackle. But, again, just like last Wednesday’s practice, lots of other players were seen filling in up front, like fourth-year veteran Rakeem Nunez-Roches, who appeared to be spelling Woods at the one-tech spot. Margus Hunt (defensive tackle) and John Simon (defensive end) were also rotating in and out.

thanks.  that sounds more like it.  I didn't think Autry would see much, if any time, at 1 tech :)

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Thank you for posting that!

• Like 1

Just now, Indy1996 said:

No cuz our MLB is darius leonard or anythony walker

that's funny because Ballard said Leonard would be at Will, not Mike.

1 minute ago, a06cc said:

I’m sorry for misspelling his name. But yes he was at a DT spot. 

there are multiple DT spots.  1-tech is a NT in a 1-gap defense.  3-tech is the other "standard" DT in a 4-3 front. :)

One thing I noticed is Antonio Morrisson keeps staying in that starting LB for the base defense.   I know everybody wants him gone, but like last year we may not end up getting our wish.  Hopefully they let him go, but ..........

Just now, krunk said:

One thing I noticed is Antonio Morrisson keeps staying in that starting LB for the base defense.   I know everybody wants him gone, but like last year we may not end up getting our wish.  Hopefully they let him go, but ..........

ive mentioned this numerous times, the SAM is perfect for Morrison because it allows him to just read and react which is what he does best. he'll no longer be in the middle making coverage calls. He can just go after the ball carrier

• Like 1

I think we see different players moving just to give the coaches an idea on their strong and weak points. Things will change all the way through till the last week of pre season. We can all speculate on who we think plays where but that wont be known till the regular season starts.

• Like 2

I'm going to keep an eye on Chris Mcain, he moves pretty well to me.  They say he was doing pretty good out there in OTAs.  I believe he had like 5-6 sacks last year for San Diego.  If he is a consistent performer throughout TC and Preseason I believe they make a way for him.  I think he's Simons competition outside of the young guys.

I gotta say, this is confusing. John Simon was our BEST defensive player last year before he got hurt. I know that he doesn't naturally "fit" the new scheme, but dang...

We're already shedding players that we just signed a year ago. Hankins ... now Simon? Hope not. Heck, I'd try him at MLB

6 hours ago, krunk said:

It seems like he was more built for that SAM position where he will mainly focus on run stuffing which is his strength. I think he really could surprise some people this year

This staff is smart enough to move folks around to best fit thier talents.

I gotta believe 'eventually' they move him to SAM and replace Morrison. 

He's shown he can drop into the flats to cover the zone, he's shown he can set the edge AND he's shown he can get to the QB from the OLB position.

Plus if he replaces Morrison he still does offer some pass rush ability in the NASCAR package since the SAM comes off the field then anyway.

Just seems to me it strengthens two spots (SAM) while allowing the team to keep an extra passrusher like McCain - or a pass rusher to be named later claimed off of waivers!??!

Just makes too much sense to me...

17 hours ago, krunk said:

Simon isn't going anywhere in my opinion. It doesn't really matter who "starts" on the defensive line, as this new coaching staff has repeatedly said this defensive front is looking for 8 starters to constantly rotate in and out. Simon will be just as much of a starter as Basham and Sheard in this new defense. We will see who produces early on in the season, and those guys will get more reps than the others, but it's all about rotating bodies to keep them fresh and constant pressure on offensive lines. 

• Like 1

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/05/mychal-kendricks-raiders-john-simon-colts

The Colts could conceivably cut John Simon this summer, Stephen Holder of the Indy Starwrites. Simon performed well in an injury-shortened 2017, but new defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus is looking to play him at defensive end rather than middle or strong-side linebacker. Simon, listed at (a perhaps inflated) 6’2″and 260 pounds, is undersized for DE and may not have the speed needed to get around pass blockers. Given that Simon is now battling with edge rushers like Jabaal Sheard, Tarell Basham, Kemoko Turay, Chris McCain, Tyquan Lewis, it’s possible that he might not make the final cut. Simon, who signed a three-year, $14MM deal with the Colts just last year, has no guaranteed money remaining on his deal. The Colts would save $3.28MM against the cap by releasing Simon.

I thought he was one of the main candidates to get cut/traded the moment it became clear we are changing schemes. He's just a very 34 scheme specific player. I'm not surprised Basham is getting 1st team reps ahead of him, even though Basham wasn't great last year. I had him getting traded or cut in all of my off-season mocks. It's still not certain it's going to happen but I wouldn't be shocked if he was not with the team week 1. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I thought he was one of the main candidates to get cut/traded the moment it became clear we are changing schemes. He's just a very 34 scheme specific player. I'm not surprised Basham is getting 1st team reps ahead of him, even though Basham wasn't great last year. I had him getting traded or cut in all of my off-season mocks and I think I even mentioned him as a possible 'surprise' cut in the thread about the surprise cuts several weeks back here. It's still not certain it's going to happen but I wouldn't be shocked if he was not with the team week 1. 

you expect a third round pick to be great playing sparingly? that is pretty high expectations. Not to mention Basham has always had his hand in the dirt not rushed standing up. To his credit, he did get 2 sacks and a forced fumble. 

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

you expect a third round pick to be great playing sparingly? that is pretty high expectations. Not to mention Basham has always had his hand in the dirt not rushed standing up. To his credit, he did get 2 sacks and a forced fumble. 

I have no idea why he didn't play much, for all we know it might have been Pagano being Pagano with his rookies again, but he wasn't great when he played. He recorded 5 tackles total and 2 sacks in 15 played games. I was just noting that he's now getting snaps ahead of Simon, who's been a great pro for years... which is good. He must be impressing the new coaching staff. We might not have a monster on the EDGE but IMO we have multiple rotation type players and we are just playing the odds relying that some of them will boom and take the opportunity and run with it. I see no reason Basham cannot be one of those. 

34 minutes ago, stitches said:

I have no idea why he didn't play much, for all we know it might have been Pagano being Pagano with his rookies again, but he wasn't great when he played. He recorded 5 tackles total and 2 sacks in 15 played games. I was just noting that he's now getting snaps ahead of Simon, who's been a great pro for years... which is good. He must be impressing the new coaching staff. We might not have a monster on the EDGE but IMO we have multiple rotation type players and we are just playing the odds relying that some of them will boom and take the opportunity and run with it. I see no reason Basham cannot be one of those. 

I think it has a lot to do with Basham learning a new system. He was a DE at Ohio not a Edge so there was a learning curve, but this defense is basically hand in the dirt, go get the QB