Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 - 2019 Indiana Pacers and everything NBA thread

21 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

......and thats much worse, right?

I'm hearing how dominant GSW will be with Cousins but that's an 18-month recovery..

..he may not play next yeat at all...and many dont ever return to their former form.

He's on a 1-year deal and at the end of the year he's gone..because he wants a max deal.

Upon further review, this signing isnt a big deal.

He'll be back next year. Even if he returns at 70%, he's light years better than McGee and Zaza. They'll probably keep him shut down until after the All-Star break, which would be ~14 months of healing. Even if they get him for just the last handful of regular season games and the playoffs, that 5.3M would be more than worth it. He's going to have play next year at some point because he's going to be chasing his 19'/20' contract.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

I agree that Cousins was a low-risk signing by Golden State.

Its almost a no-risk signing.  They won it all without him

I just think that we all jumped to a mis-conclusion when they signed him.

He's not going to be a 15 and 8 guy......He's highly unlikely to play until very late in the season if, at all.

..and he wont be with Golden State in the 2019-2020...unless he fails to coem back.

If he returns and is any kind of success, he'll get the $20 million he turned down from New Orleans....and there's no way Golden State can pay that and pay their other 4 stars.

He's just there to rehab

Klay and Draymond are up after next year. If Boogie makes any kind of progress, they could let Klay (Klays dad wants him to play for the Lakers) and Draymond (He wants a max deal this next go around) walk. Steph, KD, and Boogie could be the main 3 and they build around them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColtsPacersfan said:

I have a theory too. I highly doubt there is any merit to this. I am quite sure Magic knew what he was getting into when he signed Lance.

If Lance don't work out all they Lakers have to do is cut him. If the Pacers wanted him back if he was cut, maybe they could sign him.

14 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I agree that Cousins was a low-risk signing by Golden State.

Its almost a no-risk signing.  They won it all without him

He's not going to be a 15 and 8 guy......He's highly unlikely to play until very late in the season if, at all.

..and he wont be with Golden State in the 2019-2020...unless he fails to coem back.

If he returns and is any kind of success, he'll get the $20 million he turned down from New Orleans....and there's no way Golden State can pay that and pay their other 4 stars.

He's just there to rehab

I agree in the stats he won't be a 15 and 8 guy.   I just meant as in ability.   15 and 8 would be far from his usual 25 and 13.   I just meant that if he comes back as a much lesser player like a 15 and 8 player, he is still a huge weapon off the bench.  

I don't think he'll sign with Golden State next year.   However, who knows.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2018 at 3:17 PM, w87r said:

Roster:

PG: Collison, Joseph, Holiday, Sumner(2 way contract)

SG: Oladipo, Evans

SF: Bogdonavich, McDermott, Poythress

PF: Young, Leaf, Alize Johnson

C: Turner, Sabonis, Anigbogu

Solid, still have our MLE as well.

2 thoughts....

Will we have 4 of our last 5 draft choices on the roster this year?

Leaf, Holiday Sumner and Anigbogu (we now need a 3rd center)

..and how many of the following (Collison, Joseph, Bogdonavich, Young and Evans) do you want to re-sign  2019-2020?

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I agree.   Getting Lance back would make the Pacers significantly better than last season. 

I dont see Lance playing in Los Angeles long term, do you?.

With Rondo and Lonzo..there..I'm not sure what his role is now...although LeBron apparently did want him on the team.

Marco Bellinelli is going back to San Antonio for the 3rd time...

I think its possible that Lance could return to the Pacers a 3rd time...maybe mid-season this year if there is an injury ....

....We look at statistics and that's fair but we were down 15 points at least 10 times last year and came back to win.

A lot of that was the bench....and some of that was  Lance...

Who comes off the bench to spark us when we're 15 points down coming season?

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

2 thoughts....

Will we have 4 of our last 5 draft choices on the roster this year?

Leaf, Holiday Sumner and Anigbogu (we now need a 3rd center)

..and how many of the following (Collison, Joseph, Bogdonavich, Young and Evans) do you want to re-sign  2019-2020?

It looks like we may end up having 4 of our last 5 draft choices on the roster.  Unfortunately, the minutes played by them will be very small and in trash time.   Holiday will be the exception.  

Who to resign?   Good question.  

Collison - If he isn't demanding too much, he may be good to bring back.  Maybe to back up Holiday if Holiday proves to be ready.

Joseph - Probably not. 

Bogdonavich - He should be affordable.  Good from three. 

Young - Not sure on him.   He hasn't shown much as far as PG skills.  

Evans - He is a wait and see.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

With Rondo and Lonzo..there..I'm not sure what his role is now...although LeBron apparently did want him on the team.

I think its possible that Lance could return to the Pacers a 3rd time...maybe mid-season this year if there is an injury ....

....We look at statistics and that's fair but we were down 15 points at least 10 times last year and came back to win.

I think this team needs Lance.   He was the "McKey" for us.   We could put him on the other teams best player and we would keep them in check.  Olidipo is capable, but I don't want to see him used like that.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Who?  The WHOLE second team.
    Sabonis, Evans, McDermott, Leaf, Joseph.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lance brought alot of energy/emotion that is for sure but Evans is actually the better player. We will see?

No doubt Evans is the better player. But my thought was (if Lance is released available in trade)  that we have both.

..there may be games when McDermott doesnt offer much.

Its a longshot but I dont know how the Lakers play Lonzo, Rondo, Hart, Ingram, Lance and LeBron.  There;s not a lot of outside shooting there

I'm seeing a potential trade which sends Kevin Love to the Lakers for Hart, Kuzma. Luol Deng (2 more years at $18 mil)  and a No,1.

Kyle Korver has to be traded somewhere....

Lakers are still shuffling the roster and they may find they cant play someone with Lance's 'particular set of skills'

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

No doubt Evans is the better player. But my thought was (if Lance is released available in trade)  that we have both.

..there may be games when McDermott doesnt offer much.

Its a longshot but I dont know how the Lakers play Lonzo, Rondo, Hart, Ingram and LeBron.

I'm seeing a potential trade which sends Kevin Love to the Lakers for Hart, Kuzma. Luol Deng (2 more years at $18 mil)  and a No,1.

Lakers are still shuffling the roster and they may find they cant play someone with Lance's 'particular set of skills'

If we can get Lance back, that would be the cherry on top. An easy A grade in Free Agency.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we can get Lance back, that would be the cherry on top. An easy A grade in Free Agency.

Yeah I dont want to pat our management on the back too much until we win something.

But we have a playoff team..the entire starting lineup returns.

We moved out one bench player but signed two more..We have a Top-15 player at $21 mil for 3 more years (Vic would draw $30 mil if he was a free agent)

...and we have at least $70 mil (I dont know how high the salary cap goes up) to spend next summer.

• Like 1

I keep hearing positive talk of having so many players with expiring contracts for next summer.  

To play play devils advocate.  Doesn't it also mean we either pay our role players or have to replace e them.  Chemistry lost.  Granted if we can attract a top free agent all can be well.  However it may mean we have to replace goog players with similar but different guys.  

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 5:45 PM, BleedBlu8792 said:

Klay and Draymond are up after next year. If Boogie makes any kind of progress, they could let Klay (Klays dad wants him to play for the Lakers) and Draymond (He wants a max deal this next go around) walk. Steph, KD, and Boogie could be the main 3 and they build around them. 

No chance they keep Cousins and let Draymond and Klay leave...

...absolutely, positively no chance

16 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Yeah I dont want to pat our management on the back too much until we win something.

But we have a playoff team..the entire starting lineup returns.

We moved out one bench player but signed two more..We have a Top-15 player at $21 mil for 3 more years (Vic would draw $30 mil if he was a free agent)

...and we have at least $70 mil (I dont know how high the salary cap goes up) to spend next summer.

I will pat them on the back when you combine last years and this years offseason moves. Trading PG for Oladipo and Sabonis may be one the best moves of the decade and that isn't exaggerating. We brought our starting 5 back this season too, yeah they deserve a PAT. I do hate losing Lance but what do they do? They get Evans here.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

I keep hearing positive talk of having so many players with expiring contracts for next summer.  

To play play devils advocate.  Doesn't it also mean we either pay our role players or have to replace e them.  Chemistry lost.  Granted if we can attract a top free agent all can be well.  However it may mean we have to replace goog players with similar but different guys.  

True....all true..and we could use the cash we have to re-sign some of the players we have.

We could realistically keep Thad Young.  We could give Thad Young a 3-year deal right now and it wouldnt bother me.  We dont have a backup power forward

But lets not get too carried away with chemistry.  Chemistry is the magic fairy dust everyone says you have when you win more than you lose.  Cavs were in the finals with no chemistry the last 4 years,

If we bring in Jimmy Butler and Kristas Porzingis, I guarantee you we'll have chemistry

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will pat them on the back when you combine last years and this years offseason moves. Trading PG for Oladipo and Sabonis may be one the best moves of the decade and that isn't exaggerating. We brought our starting 5 back this season too, yeah they deserve a PAT. I do hate losing Lance but what do they do? They get Evans here.

I will not bless bringing back our starting 5 until our starting 5 wins a playoff series. 

You are not exaggerating at all when you say that the Paul George for Sabonis and Oladipo trade is a franchise-changer. But lets be blunt.

We have 3 years to win the Eastern Conference before we have to play Victor $40 million dollars a year.

This is year one coming up.

That;s why I can live with Lance leaving (maybe temporarily). Evans has a chance to be the 6th man of the year.

I think Sabonis will be an all-star soon

If Leaf gives us anything offensively and Myles Turner becomes Kevin Garnett (or even Kevin Love) we can win the East now.

What I will say about our management that I greatly appreciate, is that we are trying to win NOW.

We didnt tank and we are trying to win in an era when everyone says that a franchise like Indiana cant ever win.

We are not llstening to conventional logic and we are seriously trying to win the conference...

That;s what I like

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

No chance they keep Cousins and let Draymond and Klay leave...

...absolutely, positively no chance

I don't think they will have a choice... Draymond, again, has made it known that there won't be a "discount" this next go around with his contract. Klay or Draymond is going to get caught up in the numbers game and at least one is going to be packing their bags.

Can’t embed tweet because I’m at work, but Pacers signed former Knicks center, Kyle O’Quinn, to a one-year $4.5 million dollar deal. Counts towards MLE.

Also, waived Alex Poythress and renounced the free agent rights to Joe Young and Trevor Booker.

1 hour ago, MTC said:

Can’t embed tweet because I’m at work, but Pacers signed former Knicks center, Kyle O’Quinn, to a one-year $4.5 million dollar deal. Counts towards MLE.

Also, waived Alex Poythress and renounced the free agent rights to Joe Young and Trevor Booker.

Good signing I guess.   Nothing to get too excited about at all.   He played the most minutes per game in his 6 year career last season - 18 MPG, 7 pts, 6 rebouds, 1.3 blocks, 1.3 TO.    I assume this is just to have a body to absorb fouls?    

• Like 1

Just now, Myles said:

Good signing I guess.   Nothing to get too excited about at all.   He played the most minutes per game in his 6 year career last season - 18 MPG, 7 pts, 6 rebouds, 1.3 blocks, 1.3 TO.    I assume this is just to have a body to absorb fouls?    

He is very productive for the amount of minutes he plays. He also shot 58% which is impressive. He is just another big body though because Sabonis will get most of the backup minutes.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

OKC has just improved.   Carmello is not going to be back.

With George signing back with OKC, that made the Pacers trade a win for both teams.

Anthony is a Chemistry destroyer. I wonder who will even pick him up. Watch the Lakers pick him up and he plays like he's 25 years old again lmao 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Myles said:

OKC has just improved.   Carmello is not going to be back.

With George signing back with OKC, that made the Pacers trade a win for both teams.

yeah its weird how that worked out

victor doesnt fit with RW, while paul george does so both teams win

i guess paul would fit on pretty much any team, but victor needs the ball and is at his best when his team gives him space 

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

yeah its weird how that worked out

victor doesnt fit with RW, while paul george does so both teams win

i guess paul would fit on pretty much any team, but victor needs the ball and is at his best when his team gives him space 

PG to me is the perfect Robin, a Great 2nd best player on any team. A Top 15-20 player in the league. He reminds me of a Scottie Pippen type, Great Defensively and a Good Scorer but not a guy that can lead a team to a Championship being the best player. He can thrive playing with RW, he would've thrived playing with someone like Kobe too because PG isn't ball dominant. He would've won Championships playing with Kobe or Jordan as a Robin. 

• Like 1

First Pacer's Summer League game is at halftime right now.

Aaron Holiday is playing great on the offensive end scoring and passing.

TJ Leaf has looked horrible on both ends. He's not finishing in close and for all the talk that he was getting bigger and stronger, he is getting dominated by Isaiah Hartenstein and others on the defensive end.

Edmund Sumner is struggling to finish at the basket as well which is not good for him because he can't shoot at all.

Alex Poythress and Travis Leslie have looked decent so far. Been impressed with Leslie on defense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pretty deep as you didn't even list Holiday. 

Or Leaf.

Great signing. Really wasn't looking at him as an option, but it's a good one.

12 deep. With Anigbogu, Sumner and Alize Johnson to hopefully grow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

PG to me is the perfect Robin, a Great 2nd best player on any team. A Top 15-20 player in the league. He reminds me of a Scottie Pippen type, Great Defensively and a Good Scorer but not a guy that can lead a team to a Championship being the best player. He can thrive playing with RW, he would've thrived playing with someone like Kobe too because PG isn't ball dominant. He would've won Championships playing with Kobe or Jordan as a Robin. 

This is my thoughts exactly.

He also showed me, that he knows that to be the case(he isn't a number 1 guy). That's at least respectable.  

He is fine with letting Russ do his thing, so he doesn't have to take as much blame when things don't go right.

This is the same guy that passed the ball to CJ Miles(who missed shot) with 5 seconds then asked why he didn't pass it back to him. Like he wanted the shot, if you want the shot you don't pass the ball with 5 seconds to go. Knowing if Miles would of made shot he would of been like "I was unselfish and made the right play"

That's not what happened, and he called out his teammate for doing what he is suppose to(trying to score because his so called "1 guy" just passed it to him instead of took the shot. He was afraid to miss it.

Anyway, sorry for the little rant. As you can tell I'm not a fan. I'm happy with the trade for sure.

I do think Paul is a good number 2 guy. I would take Scottie though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

This is my thoughts exactly.

He also showed me, that he knows that to be the case(he isn't a number 1 guy). That's at least respectable.  

He is fine with letting Russ do his thing, so he doesn't have to take as much blame when things don't go right.

This is the same guy that passed the ball to CJ Miles(who missed shot) with 5 seconds then asked why he didn't pass it back to him. Like he wanted the shot, if you want the shot you don't pass the ball with 5 seconds to go. Knowing if Miles would of made shot he would of been like "I was unselfish and made the right play"

That's not what happened, and he called out his teammate for doing what he is suppose to(trying to score because his so called "1 guy" just passed it to him instead of took the shot. He was afraid to miss it.

Anyway, sorry for the little rant. As you can tell I'm not a fan. I'm happy with the trade for sure.

I do think Paul is a good number 2 guy. I would take Scottie though.

I like Paul, I think he is a Very Good to Great player but not a #1 guy so I agree with you. Before his injury I always thought maybe he could be, since his injury he has been Very Good but not Great. Still a Top 20 player in the league and on certain nights can look like a #1. I am glad we have Oladipo though, he's never had a Bad injury and younger.