Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 - 2019 Indiana Pacers and everything NBA thread

58 minutes ago, Myles said:

Looks like they have plenty of salary to spend.   Will they be able to find anyone to come is the tougher problem.  

This team is loaded with potential.  I think there will be good players who will want to play alongside Oladipo.  This team got a ton of national recognition after doing so well during the regular season and pushing LeBron to 7 games, even dominating at times.  With lots of cap space and a winning culture, I don't think it will be difficult to find people who want to come to Indy.

I think the biggest thing the Pacers need to improve is rebounding.  Myles Turner gets bullied way too much and has averaged less than 7 rebounds a game in his career.  Possible free agents could be Clint Capela or maybe Jusuf Nurkic on the cheap?

6 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

This team is loaded with potential.  I think there will be good players who will want to play alongside Oladipo.  This team got a ton of national recognition after doing so well during the regular season and pushing LeBron to 7 games, even dominating at times.  With lots of cap space and a winning culture, I don't think it will be difficult to find people who want to come to Indy.

I think the biggest thing the Pacers need to improve is rebounding.  Myles Turner gets bullied way too much and has averaged less than 7 rebounds a game in his career.  Possible free agents could be Clint Capela or maybe Jusuf Nurkic on the cheap?

I hope you are right, but the recognition of pushing a team to 7 games in the opening round of the playoffs doesn't go that far.  

Kevin Durant

Lebron James

Paul George

Chris Paul

Demarcua Cousins

I don't see any of them giving Indiana a second look (obviously not George).   Chris Paul would be awesome.  The team can use a good PG.   There are allot of other free agents out there though.  

Myles Turner laid an egg this season in my opinion.   I thought he'd break out.  Hopefully he sees next season as an important one.

• Like 1

We're not getting a top tier free agent. This team has to draft or get wildly lucky like they did with Oladipo to have top talent on the team. There's other way's to get deeper, but they're not going to get more top heavy with star power than they are now. So even though the glass is half full take is that they're headed in the right direction, the flip is that this is the type of season we can expect for a few more years, filling in the gaps here an there with guys, staying relevant, maybe winning a series next year as long as we don't have to deal with LeBron (my LeBron fatigue is fatigued. I can't wait for him to get bounced-barf city).They'll be a bit better next year, but it might not even show up in the record.

I'd love to see someone's battle plan to make this team a legit contender, not just a team that can be entertaining for stretches. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, The Fish said:

We're not getting a top tier free agent. This team has to draft or get wildly lucky like they did with Oladipo to have top talent on the team. There's other way's to get deeper, but they're not going to get more top heavy with star power than they are now. So even though the glass is half full take is that they're headed in the right direction, the flip is that this is the type of season we can expect for a few more years, filling in the gaps here an there with guys, staying relevant, maybe winning a series next year as long as we don't have to deal with LeBron (my LeBron fatigue is fatigued. I can't wait for him to get bounced-barf city).They'll be a bit better next year, but it might not even show up in the record.

I'd love to see someone's battle plan to make this team a legit contender, not just a team that can be entertaining for stretches. 

Even if we don't add anyone I see no way we aren't still a Top 5 team in the East. Boston will be really good with Irving/Hayward back, of course Philly and Toronto will be Good and maybe the Cavs but what if LeBron leaves? That then puts us 4th with HCA in Round 1. The Wizards, Bucks, and Heat aren't better than us unless they add another All-Star to their Roster, I doubt that happens. We have a promising future.

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I haven't followed the NBA as closely as usual this year, so this might be unrealistic, but maybe something like this...

If I've looked at the right numbers, the Pacers currently have $92.8 mil committed to next year against a (projected?) $101 mil cap, giving them about $8 mil to work with as of now.

1. Decline team option on Al Jefferson - adds $6 mil to cap space

2. I assume Thad Young opts in and takes his $14 mil deal since he's unlikely to find that type of value on the open market

3. Decline the option on Joe Young - adds $1.6 mil to cap space

This gives Indy about $15 mil of cap space to work with...

Option 1: Sign one big name (Clint Capela?  Maybe Jusuf Nurkic?) to a deal worth $15 mil per year.  I'd imagine something in the 3-4 year range, but Pritchard would have to carefully look at longer term contracts because Myles Turner will need a new contract soon

Option 2: Look to sign 2 lesser roles players (Kyle O'Quinn, Ed Davis?) to a deal worth $15 mil per year

Option 3: Look to take on a bad contract to acquire another first round pick in return.  I'd then try to move those first round picks to get a higher pick in a future draft, or package them together and move up in this year's draft.

Not sure how realistic any of this is though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Even if we don't we add anyone I see no way we aren't still a Top 5  teams in the East. Boston will be really good with Irving/Hayward back, of course Philly and Toronto will be Good and maybe the Cavs but what if LeBron leaves? That then puts us 4th with HCA in Round 1. The Wizards, Bucks, and Heat aren't better than us unless they add another All-Star to their Roster, I doubt that happens. We have a promising future.

Well, being the 4th best team in the East is a few fairly large steps away from being a legit contender..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Even if we don't we add anyone I see no way we aren't still a Top 5  teams in the East. Boston will be really good with Irving/Hayward back, of course Philly and Toronto will be Good and maybe the Cavs but what if LeBron leaves? That then puts us 4th with HCA in Round 1. The Wizards, Bucks, and Heat aren't better than us unless they add another All-Star to their Roster, I doubt that happens. We have a promising future.

I'm convinced LeBron is leaving.  The team around him is absolutely awful.  I feel like he's going to Philly, which is a pretty terrifying idea for the rest of the East

19 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I haven't followed the NBA as closely as usual this year, so this might be unrealistic, but maybe something like this...

If I've looked at the right numbers, the Pacers currently have $92.8 mil committed to next year against a (projected?) $101 mil cap, giving them about $8 mil to work with as of now.

1. Decline team option on Al Jefferson - adds $6 mil to cap space

2. I assume Thad Young opts in and takes his $14 mil deal since he's unlikely to find that type of value on the open market

3. Decline the option on Joe Young - adds $1.6 mil to cap space

This gives Indy about $15 mil of cap space to work with...

Option 1: Sign one big name (Clint Capela?  Maybe Jusuf Nurkic?) to a deal worth $15 mil per year.  I'd imagine something in the 3-4 year range, but Pritchard would have to carefully look at longer term contracts because Myles Turner will need a new contract soon

Option 2: Look to sign 2 lesser roles players (Kyle O'Quinn, Ed Davis?) to a deal worth $15 mil per year

Option 3: Look to take on a bad contract to acquire another first round pick in return.  I'd then try to move those first round picks to get a higher pick in a future draft, or package them together and move up in this year's draft.

Not sure how realistic any of this is though

It is realistic, nice breakdown.

49 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Even if we don't add anyone I see no way we aren't still a Top 5 team in the East. Boston will be really good with Irving/Hayward back, of course Philly and Toronto will be Good and maybe the Cavs but what if LeBron leaves? That then puts us 4th with HCA in Round 1. The Wizards, Bucks, and Heat aren't better than us unless they add another All-Star to their Roster, I doubt that happens. We have a promising future.

All true.   Albeit a little disappointing.  While the goal is higher, the realistic goal is 4th in the East with a shot at 3rd.  

Turner is a big wild card.   If he can step up like we thought he might after last year, it could be huge.   I don't know if he was misused during the season or if he is topping out already.   Nearly all his numbers went down - Points, rebounds, blocks, FG %, FT %.   To be fair, his minutes went down by 3 per game too.  He also missed some games with injury.    I think we all thought he would be closer to an 18/10 guy for us. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

All true.   Albeit a little disappointing.  While the goal is higher, the realistic goal is 4th in the East with a shot at 3rd.  

Turner is a big wild card.   If he can step up like we thought he might after last year, it could be huge.   I don't know if he was misused during the season or if he is topping out already.   Nearly all his numbers went down - Points, rebounds, blocks, FG %, FT %.   To be fair, his minutes went down by 3 per game too.  He also missed some games with injury.    I think we all thought he would be closer to an 18/10 guy for us. 

He just turned 22 and has time to grow which is a +. After this season the REALISTIC goals definitely need to be Top 4 in the East and winning a Playoff series or even 2.

• Like 1

If the Spurs wanted to do it, would you guys trade Turner, Bogdanovic, and Collison for Kwahi Leonard? We would have to give up that much IMO to pull it off. No way around that they wouldn't want Turner and at least 2 other players. Bogdanovic is a Great shooter and can play the 3. Parker is pretty much done so they could use Collison. Manu is done as well.

Without adding anyone our Lineup would look like this:

Joseph

Dipo

Leonard

Thad

Sabonis

Lance still 6th man

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Myles said:

He had a concussion and another injury right? Like I wonder if it affected his ability to get going. Or even was fully heal mentally there to 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

He had a concussion and another injury right? Like I wonder if it affected his ability to get going. Or even was fully heal mentally there to 

I'm hoping you are right and that was a major factor.   As 2006Colts pointed out, he is also only 22 years old.  Just turned in March too.  I thought he was 23 already.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If the Spurs wanted to do it, would you guys trade Turner, Bogdanovic, and Collison for Kwahi Leonard? We would have to give up that much IMO to pull it off. No way around that they wouldn't want Turner and at least 2 other players. Bogdanovic is a Great shooter and can play the 3. Parker is pretty much done so they could use Collison. Manu is done as well.

Joseph

Dipo

Leonard

Thad

Sabonis

Lance still 6th man

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.   Indiana doesn't get many opportunities to get a player like Leonard (although the Pacers already had him).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.   Indiana doesn't get many opportunities to get a player like Leonard (although the Pacers already had him).

Yeah I think I would too. It would give us 2 Superstars in Leonard and Dipo but that is giving up a lot. Spurs may want to do something like if Leonard is unhappy there. That is pretty good return. Other factors might have to be involved in something like that because of the Salary Cap but was just throwing this out there. IMO Leonard would be a great chemistry guy too, he is just quiet and goes about his business.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hope he goes to Houston so we don't have to deal with him anymore.

That would make the NBA a 2 team league, which I guess isn't that far off from what it is now.  I'd hate to see that only because of what it would mean for the league.  The Western Conference Finals would be the real NBA Finals.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I think I would too. It would give us 2 Superstars in Leonard and Dipo but that is giving up a lot. Spurs may want to do something like if Leonard is unhappy there. That is pretty good return. Other factors might have to be involved in something like that because of the Salary Cap but was just throwing this out there. IMO Leonard would be a great chemistry guy too, he is just quiet and goes about his business.

I love Kawhi, but I'm a little hesitant because he's been a little injury prone.  I don't want to give up a ton for a guy who doesn't play that much.  If he agrees to a contract extension, then I'd consider it and I'd be fine with sending Myles, TJ Leaf, and even next year's 1st round pick.  Maybe we could scare the Spurs into thinking of what could happen if Kawhi leaves as a free agent next year and the get nothing at all

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I'm hoping you are right and that was a major factor.   As 2006Colts pointed out, he is also only 22 years old.  Just turned in March too.  I thought he was 23 already.  

Ya I mean, Concussion can make him not want to get hit in head which would make him not go as hard at rebounds id think. You seen it in past with knee injuries in football or baseball once they feel they are back fully they go hard

I don't care how disappointed you guys were in Myles Turners play, I'm not giving up on him yet. 

Why give Capela a max contract when we have our own centers that we actually have Bird rights on that we can develop.

Myles Turner just finished year 3, Capela just finished year 4 and had a breakout season. Aaron Gordon also just had a career year in year 4

I expect the same from Myles in year 4.

8 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

I don't care how disappointed you guys were in Myles Turners play, I'm not giving up on him yet. 

Why give Capela a max contract when we have our own centers that we actually have Bird rights on that we can develop.

Myles Turner just finished year 3, Capela just finished year 4 and had a breakout season. Aaron Gordon also just had a career year in year 4

i dont consider trading someone to be giving up on them necessarily 

bill belichick was asked why he traded brissett and his answer was you have to give something up to get something in return.  i think turner will be fine, but we could move him to get something we need more than him 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i dont consider trading someone to be giving up on them necessarily 

bill belichick was asked why he traded brissett and his answer was you have to give something up to get something in return.  i think turner will be fine, but we could move him to get something we need more than him 

I agree. 

I'm not wanting to trade Turner, but it's not a bad idea to gauge the level of interest in him.  Same with any player.  

Watching the Pritchard and McMillan press conference now.

Sounds like they like the core they have now. I don't see any major changes based on their comments. They really like Thad and CoJo and both said they want to be back from their exit interviews. 

Sounds like Al Jefferson will be back (with a cheaper pay cut) in a mentor role that he accepted. 

22 hours ago, Myles said:

Vic being here this year cut into his stats some he was our legit superstar and wasn't afraid to show it 

12 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

Myles has to make that leap. If he wants a max contract and if we are ever to reach our potential he has to break out next year. Really get stronger in his core so he can rebound with bigs and to nail down his outside shot. He just isn't there yet.

As for 2018.....they will pretty much stand pat....may make a couple trades and sign a guy to a 1 year deal. They are set up for 2019 when most of the big name players will be free agents....a ton more then this year and with most of our guys coming off the books in 2019 we would just have Dipo, Sabonis, and likely a re-signed Turner on the books basically. Free to go after anyone and everyone.

I see no way SA trades us Leonard...he is a top 10 talent in the league...and you don't trade that for avg players. There are too many teams with top draft picks plus good young players that would easily make a better trade. I've got faith in Pritchard after what he did last year to get the job done....but it won't be easy...Indiana just isn't going to attract great players easily. We have a good nucleus of guys...hard workers...good teammates...I just don't know where we get the extra talent that can help us get over the top. Maybe Luck into a great draft pick. The Leaf pick last year was AWFUL. We passed up on some really good players....we can't miss like that in the future.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2018 at 2:07 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Joseph

Dipo

Leonard

Thad

Sabonis

Lance still 6th man

It's being reported that Kwahi Leonard wants to go to a big market team.  Lakers?    I hope not.  

I read a column that made a case for Paul George signing with the Pacers.   Very unlikely though.   I think the bridge has been burned.  I think he is headed to the Lakers almost certainly.  

Pacers will pick 23rd in the draft.   They lost in the private drawing.   They could have picked as high as 20th. 

In a mock draft I seen, they were taking Devonte’ Graham, the PG out of Kansas.   In another it was Jalen Brunson, the PG from Villanova.   Yet another had Khyri Thomas, the SG from Creighton. 

Big issue 1: Of all the teams eliminated in the first round of the playoffs, the Pacers will go into the offseason with the brightest of outlooks. They won 48 games (well ahead of projections), took LeBron James and the Cavaliers to seven games in the first round, nearly came back to win Game 7 on the road, discovered a superstar in guard Victor Oladipo and are sitting on a group that played with cohesion and an acceptance of roles that helped them get the most out of the roster.

They’ve also assembled a payroll that is very friendly to the team accountants. That means GM Kevin Pritchard will be able to exert considerable influence over this offseason, and has the flexibility to add pieces to a bench that needs help — the reserves were solid against Cleveland, but it was a subpar bench during the regular season, with a net rating of minus-2.1.

There are improvements to be made, but Pritchard has a narrow line to walk. The Pacers can’t be complacent with what they accomplished this season, but they certainly don’t want to overspend and find themselves with a bloated payroll. The league is littered with teams that overspent after a good year and wound up with an overwrought cap situation (hello, Hornets!).

There’s a chance that Pritchard could make a pitch for a young, star-caliber player, especially a restricted free agent like Orlando’s Aaron Gordon, the Lakers’ Julius Randle, Cleveland’s Rodney Hood or Chicago’s Zach LaVine. One option that would be a risk, but with a high payoff: Utah’s Derrick Favors.

More likely, the Pacers will ink a solid role player or two, like Boston’s Marcus Smart (also a restricted free agent) or unrestricted free agents like Luc Mbah a Moute, Will Barton, Avery Bradley or Wayne Ellington.

The Pacers figure to have the pick of the litter. They will have cap space and offer a chance to play for an up-and-coming group that nearly unseated the Cavs. No other team will be able to make that kind of pitch.

Big issue 2: It was not a bad year for big man Myles Turner. It’s just that, on the whole, he is in his third season and has not developed as quickly as he probably should have — on a per-36-minute basis, he has averaged 16.3, 16.6 and 16.2 points in his first three seasons, his rebounding has gone 8.7, 8.3 and 8.2 and overall, his PER has gone 15.5, 18.5 and 16.7.

He has become a better 3-point shooter, which is a big step for him. If this team is to take the next step toward becoming a regular East contender, much of the responsibility will fall to Turner’s development, and if he can expand his game consistently to the 3-point line, Indiana’s guards figure to benefit from the spacing.

Oladipo has already become a star-level player, but he wore down over the course of the season and needs help with the offensive load. That will be up to Turner. He has the ability to be a 16-18 points-per-game scorer in the NBA, but was stuck at 12.7 this season, and was held to eight points three times in the seven-game series against Cleveland.

If Turner can be a more assertive offensive player and continues to develop his perimeter game, he and Oladipo will form a solid foundation for a team with higher aspirations than simply getting to the playoffs.

Free-agent outlook: There are a host of targets the Pacers could pursue this summer, but first there are decisions to be made involving six players.

Both Thaddeus Young ($13.7 million) and Cory Joseph ($7.9 million) have player options, and Young is certain to exercise his as he looks for one last big payday in his next contract. The Pacers want to keep Young, who was valuable to the team on both sides of the ball, but only at a reasonable price. Joseph plans to exercise his option, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. 

The other major free-agent decisions are held by the team. It’s hard to imagine the team picking up the $10 million option on Al Jefferson’s contract, but it also has $10 million options on Darren Collison and Bojan Bogdanvoic for next season — Pritchard gets credit for the Oladipo trade, but the team-friendly deals for Collison and Bogdanovic don’t get enough mention.

Both are likely to be back, unless the Pacers go tilting at windmills in a chase for bigger-name free agents.

The young folks: Turner is only 21, but is already the longest-tenured Pacer on the roster. He and fellow 21-year-old Sabonis helped give the Pacers some youthful exuberance, and both players should be expected to develop into top-line rotation players relatively soon.

Beyond those two, center Ike Anigbogu and forward T.J. Leaf are the Pacers’ big hopes for internal development. Leaf did not play much this season, but in 53 games, he made 18 of the 42 3-pointers he attempts, good for 42.9 percent. He’s already got an established reputation as a stretch-4, and he could yet prove worthy of filling that role. 

As for Anigbogu, he’s still a year or two away from contributing. Even in the G-League, he averaged 8.7 points and 6.4 rebounds, mediocre stats at best.

Wait till next year: The Pacers sprouted up into a solid East team seemingly overnight, and history suggests that there will be some pullback next season. Pritchard’s challenge this summer is to sidestep that history.

Despite Turner’s injuries, the starting five played in 90 percent of the team’s games, and the Pacers were 25-14 when all five were starting (23-20 when even just one starter was missing). There’s some luck involved when a team has that level of health, which is hard to repeat year-over-year.

Still, the Pacers will fit into the second tier of Eastern Conference teams next year, behind Boston, Philadelphia and Toronto, and Cleveland if LeBron James re-signs. If they improve their depth, get a breakthrough from Turner and stay reasonably healthy, the Pacers should win 46-50 games and have a shot at a home-court slot in the postseason

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:18 AM, aaron11 said:

i would be open to trading turner,  not sure what we could get for him.  maybe package him and our pick for a PG or SF

That would be the Kemba Waller trade with Charlotte.

Just a rumor....everything is at this point.

But Myles (salary $4 mil), Big Al ($10 mil) and Darren Collison ($10 mil)

to Charlotte for Kemba Walker ($12 mil - final year) and Cody Zeller ($13 mil)

I'd take Zeller's deal (he would backup Sabonis) to get Walker...who averages 22 a game and would end any double team strategy on Victor

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:07 AM, Myles said:

Pacers will pick 23rd in the draft.   They lost in the private drawing.   They could have picked as high as 20th. 

In a mock draft I seen, they were taking Devonte’ Graham, the PG out of Kansas.   In another it was Jalen Brunson, the PG from Villanova.   Yet another had Khyri Thomas, the SG from Creighton. 

I saw a lot abut Landry Shamet….a 6-foot-4...combo guard...a 40% 3-shooter

• Like 1

Does everybody understand that we cannot pay both Sabonis and Turner past 2020?

Both will want big money on their second contract. Our coaches do not think they can play together on defense without hurting us  ..

We cant pay Turner and Sabonis  $15-$20 mil each long term if one is a backup.

So we'd be best served to use one of them in a trade for an all-star player......like Kemba Walker 

There is new talk of Greg Popovich wanting LeBron to come to San Antonio.

Interesting.

….Aldridge, James and Leonard....Rudy Gay, Manu Ginobli

If they were to trade Patty Mills ($12 mil) and Pau Gasol ($16), they;d have the room to do it

Edited by oldunclemark