Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 - 2019 Indiana Pacers and everything NBA thread

6 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

They added a player who tore his ACL...and MCL...

....and the GSW boys will be a year older

Smart money is on 'Father Time' 

Nobody wins forever

Who on GS tore their ACL and MCL? Cousins' injury was an achilles...

• Thanks 1

Roster:

PG: Collison, Joseph, Holiday, Sumner(2 way contract)

SG: Oladipo, Evans

SF: Bogdonavich, McDermott, Poythress

PF: Young, Leaf, Alize Johnson

C: Turner, Sabonis, Anigbogu

Solid, still have our MLE as well.

• Like 1

It appears Tyreke Evans is a Pacer. When Adrian Wojnarowski reports it, then it's 99% true. Looks like for 1 year/12 Mill. With him, we clearly just upgraded our Roster and on paper are better than last season. I hated losing Lance but he's better than Lance. We basically lost Lance, Jefferson, Joe Young off of last years team and added Evans, McDermott, and Holiday. That is an upgrade. We have everyone else coming back = Dipo, Turner, Bogey, Thad, Collison, Sabonis, and Joseph. We will easily be a Top 4 Seed and win 1 or 2 Playoff series at worse IMO.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, w87r said:

Roster:

Looks like a scrappy bunch to me. And the second team looks very promising.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It appears Tyreke Evans is a Pacer. When Adrian Wojnarowski reports it, then it's 99% true. Looks like for 1 year/12 Mill. With him, we clearly just upgraded our Roster and on paper are better than last season. I hated losing Lance but he's better than Lance. We basically lost Lance, Jefferson, Joe Young off of last years team and added Evans, McDermott, and Holiday. That is an upgrade. We have everyone else coming back = Dipo, Turner, Bogey, Thad, Collison, Sabonis, and Joseph. We will easily be a Top 4 Seed and win 1 or 2 Playoff series at worse IMO.

It's a nice addition for sure.   I don't quite have your optimism.   I still think we lost some on defense.   Tyreke should add to the second unit scoring though.  All and all, I think the Pacers are a similar team.  I expect the same 48 win season which is pretty darn good.  Should be a 4th seed as you predict (now that the Cavs are gone).  

I worry about the health of Evans.  Bleacher Report - The problem is, Evans has serious trouble staying healthy. He appeared in just 52 games this past year and played 65 combined games between the 2015-16 and 2016-17 campaigns. 

43 minutes ago, w87r said:

Roster:

I bet Evan's plays at SF he is too good to come off the bench 

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

It's a nice addition for sure.   I don't quite have your optimism.   I still think we lost some on defense.   Tyreke should add to the second unit scoring though.  All and all, I think the Pacers are a similar team.  I expect the same 48 win season which is pretty darn good.  Should be a 4th seed as you predict (now that the Cavs are gone).  

I worry about the health of Evans.  Bleacher Report - The problem is, Evans has serious trouble staying healthy. He appeared in just 52 games this past year and played 65 combined games between the 2015-16 and 2016-17 campaigns. 

Regarding his health, it really just depends on how we use him. How minutes he plays. He normally plays SG so if that's the case, if he can just give us 20 solid minutes off the Bench that would be good. Oladipo will get most of the minutes at SG. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding his health, it really just depends on how we use him. How minutes he plays. He normally plays SG so if that's the case, if he can just give us 20 solid minutes off the Bench that would be good. Oladipo will get most of the minutes at SG. 

Exactly right....If Tyreke is playing 35 minutes....we have a problem.

.....He's an upgrade over Lance.....on offense

Our second '5' is Sabonis, Leaf, McDermott, Tyreke Evans and Cory Joseph..

..all No.1 draft choices......4 vets and Leaf..lots of offense....and a guy to set picks.

I like it

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MTC said:

I am quite glad the deal is only for one year. It is hard to ignore his past injuries, but he is still talented.

I read that aftre the all-star break l;ast year..Memphis didnt play Evans because they wanted a high draft choice.

He really wanst hurt.

Here;s the question:

Tyreke Evans,  Cory Joseph,. Thad Young, Darren Collison and Bogan Bogdonavich are all about to begin the final year of their contracts. No player options. No team options. Right?

If we keep they 5 minutes after the trading deadline, they are headed for free agency.

So if we are .500 at the trade deadline, what do we do?

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Exactly right....If Tyreke is playing 35 minutes....we have a problem.

.....He's an upgrade over Lance.....on offense

Our second '5' is Sabonis, Leaf, McDermott, Tyreke Evans and Cory Joseph..

..all No.1 draft choices......4 vets and Leaf..lots of offense....and a guy to set picks.

I like it

Yeah Tyreke isnt a guy that will be playing 30+ minutes now. He should be able to stay healthy if McMillan manages his minutes right. He's a better player than Lance and I love Lance but he is. Now Bogey even has a backup that is a clone of him who can shoot 40% from 3 = McDermott. I am very optimistic about this team. Our Defense is Good period with Oladipo, Thad, and Turner in the lineup so no worries for me. LeBron is out of the East as well, this is going to be a 50 win team/Top 4 Seed and a Playoff threat to go deep. As usual all the talk will be about Boston and Philly but that is also good, they will have all the pressure to win the Conference. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We can now sit players with minor injuries in back-to-back situations.

If Collison has a sore toe, we can start Evans or Joseph or Holiday and not be short on the bench....

If Bogdonavich is tired, we can start McDermott and not lose much...

If Victor misses games, we can play Evans and not lose much on offense. We have depth

I'm anxious to see Leaf and Holiday play together like they did in college.

This is it with this group. The team changes dramatically next summer

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Tyreke isnt a guy that will be playing 30+ minutes now. He should be able to stay healthy if McMillan manages his minutes right. He's a better player than Lance and I love Lance but he is. Now Bogey even has a backup that is a clone of him who can shoot 40% from 3 = McDermott. I am very optimistic about this team. Our Defense is Good period with Oladipo, Thad, and Turner in the lineup so no worries for me. LeBron is out of the East as well, this is going to be a 50 win team/Top 4 Seed and a Playoff threat to go deep. As usual all the talk will be about Boston and Philly but that is also good, they will have all the pressure to win the Conference. 

No one will pick the Pacers to be a Top-4 seed over Boston, Philadelphia, Washington or Toronto.

But we have much more bench..

.......and Washington just picked up Dwight Howard so theyre done

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

We can now sit players with minor injuries in back-to-back situations.

If Collison has a sore toe, we can start Evans or Joseph or Holiday and not be short on the bench....

If Bogdonavich is tired, we can start McDermott and not lose much...

If Victor misses games, we can play Evans and not lose much on offense. We have depth

I'm anxious to see Leaf and Holiday play together like they did in college.

This is it with this group. The team changes dramatically next summer

We will be right there as far as winning the Conference. The only scary team is really Boston IMO. They are beatable though as they have nobody like LeBron who gets alot of calls, etc..

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We will be right there as far as winning the Conference. The only scary team is really Boston IMO. They are beatable though as they have nobody like LeBron who gets alot of calls, etc..

..and Boston has to hold up health wise......

I hope they cant re-sign Marcus Smart

If they bring everybody back......we'll have trouble beating them

7 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

No one will pick the Pacers to be a Top-4 seed over Boston, Philadelphia, Washington or Toronto.

But we have much more bench..

.......and Washington just picked up Dwight Howard so theyre done

Washington is a talented team but they don't have the Chemistry we do. I do see them as a 5 Seed.

11 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I still have a hard time believing he came here to come off the bench he averaged 19 5 and 5 that's better than bogey and he can play the 3 I just dont see someone who had a season like that agreeing to be a bench player 

I'm guessing that was talked about when he came to visit us....

Somebody convinced him he'd get his minutes

But you are right....He could have gone to Los Angeles.

We're lucky to get him. If Memphis trades him at the trading deadline last year, he's not available.

This may be a benefit of winning 48 games and taking the Cavs 7 games..we got a little credit

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I still have a hard time believing he came here to come off the bench he averaged 19 5 and 5 that's better than bogey and he can play the 3 I just dont see someone who had a season like that agreeing to be a bench player 

That may be the case as well but he still won't need to play a ton of minutes with Bogey here. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Washington is a talented team but they don't have the Chemistry we do. I do see them as 5 Seed.

Philadelphia lost Bellineii (to San Antonio) and Illyasova...(to Milwaukee) .they did re-sign Reddick..

But they didnt get better

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

His numbers are impressive aren't they? He is also a Good 3 point shooter.

4 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Who on GS tore their ACL and MCL? Cousins' injury was an achilles...

......and thats much worse, right?

I'm hearing how dominant GSW will be with Cousins but that's an 18-month recovery..

..he may not play next yeat at all...and many dont ever return to their former form.

He's on a 1-year deal and at the end of the year he's gone..because he wants a max deal.

Upon further review, this signing isnt a big deal.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We are in a great position as a franchise. Cap Space wise and have a team with Great Chemistry + a young Star in Oladipo.

and we do not know how good a rookie Aaron Holliday is.

He might be TJ Leaf...He might be Donovan Mitchell....

..we really dont know yet

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

..we are in good shape..we have a chance to win the East..and and we may have $60-$70 million to spend next summer

If we can make it to the finals or east finals we should have a good shot at someone really good next year especially players that wanna escape the west and all the stacked teams 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

If we can make it to the finals or east finals we should have a good shot at someone really good next year especially players that wanna escape the west and all the stacked teams 

I'm tryng to figure who's available next summer in free agency....and its not easy.

Kawhi Leonard might be..might not be...Kyrie Irving might be..might not be.

.....same with Kemba Walker...

They could all be traded or resign (or both) before the summer..

..of course we have the option or re-signing our own guys.

The happiest guy on our roster from a financial standpoint is probably Myles Turner.

His rookie deal is ending at the right time

Word now is that the Lakers passed on signing DeMarcus Cousins....to a 1-year deal..

.....probably because it is unlikely he will play much this season.

Cousins was hurt in January..... recovery time is (at least) 12 months but that's not certain.

When's he going to play and what's he going to be then.?

.....according to something called SuperBowlNation: 18 players basketball players have suffered Achillles injuries that required surgery in the last 25 years...7 never returned to the league ..most returned as significantly lesser players...

..the most notable exception is Dominique Wilkins in the early 90s..who played 2 years after his injury and was an all-star both years.

..the most recent exception is Rudy Gay..who is almost as good as he was..

"While I couldnt be more excited to join the Los Angels Lakers, I first need to thank Pacer Nation for all of the love and support  over the years. Specifically, I cannot show enough appreciation and gratitude to Mr. Simon, Mr. Bird, Kevin Pritchard, coach McMillan and all of my teammates.

The entire organization stood by me through all of the ups and downs of my career and have played a crucial role in molding me into the man and player I am today.  I will forever be indebted for that unwavering belief in me.

Indiana will always be my home and the Pacers organization will always be my family. "

Lance Stephenson   7-1-18

Edited by oldunclemark
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

and we do not know how good a rookie Aaron Holliday is.

He might be TJ Leaf...He might be Donovan Mitchell....

..we really dont know yet

My money is on Holliday being somewhere in the middle. He may find minutes tough to come by as a rookie. I am looking forward to seeing both rookies and the guys from last year play summer ball. Johnson has a interesting skill set with his history at G and Sumner is supposed to be healthy. There are a few things to monitor but Leaf is the guy I have my eye on. 

TJ is saying all the right things concentrating on D and rebounding. He's put on weight reports have him currently at 243lbs. He says he wants to be  at 250 to start the season. I think they listed him at 225 last year  I am looking for TJ to make a big jump this year. We know he can score and most importantly he can hit the long ball. He made 43% from 3 last year on just 42 attempts. If he can hold his own at the other end he could get up 3x as many. The minutes behind Thad are there for him to take. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

......and thats much worse, right?

I'm hearing how dominant GSW will be with Cousins but that's an 18-month recovery..

..he may not play next yeat at all...and many dont ever return to their former form.

He's on a 1-year deal and at the end of the year he's gone..because he wants a max deal.

Upon further review, this signing isnt a big deal.

It was a great signing by Golden State.   Low risk/high reward.    They are the best team without Cousins.   Now they have Cousins filling a roster spot that wasn't really needed.   If he comes back to nearly the same as he was, it is huge.   Even instead of a 25 pt and 13 rebound guy, he is just a 15/8 guy coming off the bench, it is great for them.  

4 hours ago, Myles said:

It was a great signing by Golden State.   Low risk/high reward.    They are the best team without Cousins.   Now they have Cousins filling a roster spot that wasn't really needed.   If he comes back to nearly the same as he was, it is huge.   Even instead of a 25 pt and 13 rebound guy, he is just a 15/8 guy coming off the bench, it is great for them.  

Yep Cousins can space the floor you can’t help off him...he can also post up and get you some easy baskets. His pick n roll defense will be the big question but GS will likely just out score most teams. I just wonder if he will get enough shots to stay happy. If he is content with his role...wow GS will be tough to beat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Myles said:

I agree that Cousins was a low-risk signing by Golden State.

Its almost a no-risk signing.  They won it all without him

I just think that we all jumped to a mis-conclusion when they signed him.

He's not going to be a 15 and 8 guy......He's highly unlikely to play until very late in the season if, at all.

..and he wont be with Golden State in the 2019-2020...unless he fails to coem back.

If he returns and is any kind of success, he'll get the $20 million he turned down from New Orleans....and there's no way Golden State can pay that and pay their other 4 stars.

He's just there to rehab