Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time for some "NASTY" players who bring the FEAR FACTOR...

bluephantom87

Greetings to my fellow Colt fans!!!! With the draft being just a few days away I'm starting to get more and more excited! In my opinion this will be one of the MOST important drafts in recent memories to help the Colts get back to winning ways. Me personally I'd like to see some fast, big hitting, sideline to sideline difference making standouts brought in on defense who play hard but SMART with bad intentions on the field to change the narrative of a lackluster group labeled as being "soft". I know the team has a lot of holes to fill but it starts with this draft in establishing a new culture with talented young playmakers who bring the fear factor to opposing teams. I hope the new coaching staff will come in hungry and UTILIZE the best players at hand to MAZIMIZE their strengths. To this point I've been on the fence about Ballard based on how the team looked last season but in all fairness it was a tough call without Luck and JB coming in late trying to learn a new offense on the fly.

I would say last year's draft was average with the exception of possible gems in Hooker, Wilson and maybe one more player but only time will tell. I hope that Ballard stays pat with the 6th pick unless Chubb, Barkley or Nelson is gone and someone gets desperate on draft night to move up for one of the qbs by throwing in another 1st round pick to sweeten the deal because we need to shoot for generational type players instead of MARGINAL types. I'll take QUALITY over QUANTITY every time. I believe Frank's offense of a quick passing game will help the o-line tremendously as far as sacks are concerned but you still need a couple of physical lineman to move the crowd for the run game. It's time to start building the dynasty and I can't wait......:thmup:

• Like 3

Need that one player who sends a message to the opposing offense on the first play of the game, in week 1. even if it draws a penalty. Time to let the NFL know, the colts are making a come back, and the AFC South is not going to be given to the Jags or Texans. 

• Like 1

Some players that fit your description IMO (some don't fit the 'smart' part that well though)

RB: Derrius Guice, John Kelly

WR: Anthony Miller

OT: Connor Williams, Martinas Rankin

OG: Quenton Nelson, Will Hernandez, Alex Cappa

C: Billy Price, Frank Ragnow

DT: Harrison Phillips, Derrick Nnadi,Nathan Shepherd

EDGE: Bradley Chubb, Marcus Davenport

LB: Rashaad Evans, Josey Jewell, Tre Williams

CB: Denzel Ward, Holton Hill, Carlton Davis

S: Dervin James, Ronnie Harrison, Marcus Allen, Tray Matthews

5 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Maurice Hurst (who may be at 36 due to the heart condition & I’d love to have him)

Any Alabama LB 

Derwin James

Denzel Ward 

Connor Williams

Josh Jackson 

Allen Lazard

Just to name a few who’d fit the above description 

Agree with some of those listed. I don't understand why the Colts feel that if a guy plays "aggressive" it means that he will have low character or be a trouble maker. There are plenty of defensive guys who play or have played "nasty" on the field but also showed high character off the field. Most of these guys end up in Pro Bowls and some get a bust in Canton.

I'm just trying to remember who the last BIG hitter the Colts had besides Bob Sanders who struck fear in opponents knowing that PAIN was coming. Geathers might be that next guy but he's coming off a serious injury. Mathis and Freeney had to be accounted for with their speed off the edge but weren't really known as big hitters. Qbs did have to worry about ball security due to the pair's downward chop that lead to strip sacks.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Not if the NFL has anything to say about it.

I think the nfl is simply trying to cleanup some of the safety issues like leading with the crown of your helmet, wiping out a wr who's defenseless stretching for an overthrown pass, or picking up a qb and slamming him into the turf AFTER he's released the ball. Squaring and wrapping up while delivering a big blow with your shoulder center mass is still allowed.

8 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Maurice Hurst (who may be at 36 due to the heart condition & I’d love to have him)

Any Alabama LB 

Derwin James

Denzel Ward 

Connor Williams

Josh Jackson 

Allen Lazard

Just to name a few who’d fit the above description 

If we end up doing the Bills trade, I've thought a LOT about a Hurst/Evans first round haul.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Agree with some of those listed. I don't understand why the Colts feel that if a guy plays "aggressive" it means that he will have low character or be a trouble maker. There are plenty of defensive guys who play or have played "nasty" on the field but also showed high character off the field. Most of these guys end up in Pro Bowls and some get a bust in Canton.

I'm just trying to remember who the last BIG hitter the Colts had besides Bob Sanders who struck fear in opponents knowing that PAIN was coming. Geathers might be that next guy but he's coming off a serious injury. Mathis and Freeney had to be accounted for with their speed off the edge but weren't really known as big hitters. Qbs did have to worry about ball security due to the pair's downward chop that lead to strip sacks.

Yep, Ndamukong Suh is one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Honesty don;t know what that means...

I was over 30 years old when the internet was started....does that make me PC?

Jeez. That brain numbing AOL dialup sound just flashed back into my head for some reason.. lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

If we end up doing the Bills trade, I've thought a LOT about a Hurst/Evans first round haul.

I think both would be great for our defense...... BUT

I think both are too early for a 12th pick

Maybe an ADDITIONAL trade?

I dont know.........

I think that if Chubb is on the board, at 6.....  you take him

He plays the run at a Very HIGH level.  He can get 12 sacks in a 16 game season, and create hurries

If he is gone, Edmunds, or trade out

I think Chubb, Edmunds, James, Nelson (and more) all fill that "nasty" requirement

I can see Edmunds clobber one of these tiny slot recievers.........  

16 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Honesty don;t know what that means...

I was over 30 years old when the internet was started....does that make me PC?

your post reminded me of a player or coach giving the "politically correct" answer.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Mike Curtis

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think both would be great for our defense...... BUT

I think both are too early for a 12th pick

Maybe an ADDITIONAL trade?

I dont know.........

I think that if Chubb is on the board, at 6.....  you take him

He plays the run at a Very HIGH level.  He can get 12 sacks in a 16 game season, and create hurries

If he is gone, Edmunds, or trade out

I think Chubb, Edmunds, James, Nelson (and more) all fill that "nasty" requirement

I can see Edmunds clobber one of these tiny slot recievers.........  

Admittedly, Mo Hurst is a draft crush of mine. If we traded back to 12 and took him I'd personally have zero issues with it. I definitely see where that may be "over valued" to others though.

• Like 1

How about we just get guys that do their job. I mean New England doesn't have any fear factor guys. Maybe Gronk is a freak but they all just do their job very well and execute. They tackle, they block, they don't turn the ball over, they don't make dumb penalities and blow coverage. I don't need a guy that is going to lay the smack on guys...just guys that will wrap up and make the tackle every time. Highlight reels are over rated....winning games is what counts and you do that by executing...not laying someone out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

How about we just get guys that do their job. I mean New England doesn't have any fear factor guys. Maybe Gronk is a freak but they all just do their job very well and execute. They tackle, they block, they don't turn the ball over, they don't make dumb penalities and blow coverage. I don't need a guy that is going to lay the smack on guys...just guys that will wrap up and make the tackle every time. Highlight reels are over rated....winning games is what counts and you do that by executing...not laying someone out.

Actually, BP87 did say this earlier in this thread: 

"Squaring and wrapping up while delivering a big blow with your shoulder center mass is still allowed."

He's not advocating unbridled savagery. Just operate within current rules with attitude. Both of you are essentially saying the same thing IMO DGB. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, IinD said:

Jeez. That brain numbing AOL dialup sound just flashed back into my head for some reason.. lol

Not to date myself or indicate how old I am either, but yes, I remember AOL dialup well too. Funny to think that dialup was cutting edge once now isn't it? 

I'm probably the only person in North America without an iPhone too. Twitter & texting annoys me. Maybe it's because I was rear ended once over a texting distraction issue by another driver. 

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:56 PM, Finball said:

Some players that fit your description IMO (some don't fit the 'smart' part that well though)

RB: Derrius Guice, John Kelly

WR: Anthony Miller

OT: Connor Williams, Martinas Rankin

OG: Quenton Nelson, Will Hernandez, Alex Cappa

C: Billy Price, Frank Ragnow

DT: Harrison Phillips, Derrick Nnadi,Nathan Shepherd

EDGE: Bradley Chubb, Marcus Davenport

LB: Rashaad Evans, Josey Jewell, Tre Williams

CB: Denzel Ward, Holton Hill, Carlton Davis

S: Dervin James, Ronnie Harrison, Marcus Allen, Tray Matthews

Like some on your list a lot but I would definitely stay away from any knucklehead or red flag type. Like @TKnight24 said in a earlier post when he brought up Reuben Foster from last year's draft. A VERY talented player that had some red flags. If I'm not mistaken he was sent home from the combine for going nuts on the medical staff in which security had to be called.  Now it looks like he has some major legal troubles ahead for a serious domestic issue and his young nfl career is ALREADY in jeopardy!!  Not smart... :facepalm:

• Like 1

I highly doubt there are very many players in the NFL that are in FEAR. To me, that is a fan concept, and it is quite common, that is an extension of one's own sense of macho. All of these guys are double tough, there is no way to make as a player in the NFL without being one tough son of a gun. 

20 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I highly doubt there are very many players in the NFL that are in FEAR. To me, that is a fan concept, and it is quite common, that is an extension of one's own sense of macho. All of these guys are double tough, there is no way to make as a player in the NFL without being one tough son of a gun. 

Fear is simply an unpleasant emotion caused by ANTICIPATION or awareness of danger likely to cause pain, a threat. The word fear used as a verb is to be afraid of something or someone.

I believe ALL athletes play with some type of fear in their respective sports whether stated out loud or not. Fear of failure could be one. Myself as a former player the dreaded fear of a career ending injury was realized.(knee) Take the big hitting lb Ryan Shazier for the Steelers who by all accounts has high character but in a split second collision at the wrong angle (head down) now has a long recovery ahead after almost being paralyzed in a game. It is preached from pop warner leagues all the way to the pros that the textbook way to tackle is to keep your head up, wrap up and drive through with you shoulder to your opponent's midsection or legs. Failure to do so could result in a broken neck or even paralysis. I'm sure in that moment of impact with his head down, one of Shazier's biggest fears on the field came to light from that mistake.

Fear will MAKE some receivers get "alligator arms" and brace for shock instead of trying to catch the ball while some big hitting safety is coming FULL speed ready to deliver that impact to the chest. Fear will make a qb get nervous in the pocket ESPECIALLY after repeated punishment and blindside hits. Fear made small dbs decide not to square up and attempt to tackle but rather side step and whiff on say like a HOF in Earl Campbell. Some former greats recall how Earl coming at you full steam with 4.6 speed at 5'11 244lbs equipped with 36 inch thighs struck fear in defenders who wanted no part of him in the open field.

Four2itus you stated earlier you wanted hard working, healthy, driven players of good character. Then... coach em up right. Well we want the SAME thing.  :thmup:  Like I said they're some high character defensive guys who played "nasty" on the field which led them to multiple Pro Bowls while others ended with a bust in Canton and you can't get there WITHOUT being driven or being a hard worker. I had a line about coaching when I started this topic. Injuries are part of the game and I just hope we don't draft a player with a HISTORY of injuries because usually it amps up at the next level. I don't care how good the player is; he does you no good in street clothes on a weekly basis or by residing on IR. Cheers...

• Like 1

Now that the draft is over the team direction is starting to take shape....

Quenton Nelson is a BEAST and tries to dominate his opponent on every play. I'm still bummed about Bradley Chubb being taken one spot before and was on the fence about the playmaking lb Roquan Smith only for the Colts because of his size at the next level. Without us having a DOMINATE d-line in front of him to allow Smith to roam freely without having to shed 320lb o-lineman who pushed downfield. Which brings me back to Nelson who not only will protect Luck but will punish in run blocking. I also like Braden Smith from Auburn who was the best blocker in the SEC.

I thought Ballard's draft from last season was so so BUT I'll be the first to say for what the Colt's are trying to do going forward that this draft addressed a lot of the team needs while drafting players with A LOT of potential. Some might not have the "names" that some fans wanted but I can see a few of these players ending up being stars for the Colts BUT only time will tell. I'm REALLY intrigued with some of the Saturday picks (rounds 4-7) like Cain, Hines and the thumper Adams. Now it's time for the new coaching staff to mold the talent into champions. :thmup: