Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josey Jewell?

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

He had 126 tackles so I guess he does have a direct route to the ball carrier. Also defended 9 passes. so he can do that too.

Not impressed by him at all. I watched like 5 games because I kept hearing how good he is. Didn't see anything 

2 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Not impressed by him at all. I watched like 5 games because I kept hearing how good he is. Didn't see anything 

He didn't get all the accolades he has because he was a bad player. He is an excellent pick up in the 3rd or 4th round regardless of what you think.

1 hour ago, thatonefan said:

Has anyone put any research into Josey Jewell as a LB prospect? I've heard good things about his production but not much else.

I did not watch him a lot, but he was the Big Ten defensive player of the year and I believe a finalist for the Nagurski award nationally.  Inside LB, productive according to his stats.

45 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He didn't get all the accolades he has because he was a bad player. He is an excellent pick up in the 3rd or 4th round regardless of what you think.

Easy dude. OP asked for opinions and I gave mine. I'm sure he's a good character guy and has been coached well being a Hawkeye but I would not draft him. 

14 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Not sure if he's a fit. Colts want speed players and Jewell kinda reminds of Morrison

Watched both play for last 2 years and see absolutely no resemblance. You don't need to be the fastest guy if you are in the right position.

1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

Watched both play for last 2 years and see absolutely no resemblance. You don't need to be the fastest guy if you are in the right position.

Fair enough. I don't watch a ton of Hawk football so my opinion might be a tad bit contrived. I just kinda see a good tackler with a lack of brilliant foot speed.

Although his instincts might be a lot higher than AMs ever were. 

6 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Fair enough. I don't watch a ton of Hawk football so my opinion might be a tad bit contrived. I just kinda see a good tackler with a lack of brilliant foot speed.

Although his instincts might be a lot higher than AMs ever were. 

What I see is a football player in the truest sense. He may not be the fastest but his instincts is something that can't be taught.

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

I'm sure he'll carve out a career in this league. But does Ballard and co see him as a fit?

Who knows?  If he is there in the 4th round I can see some GM taking a flyer on him. All I do know is we are just as needy in the LB group as any other besides pass rush in the defense.

We have been smoked so bad with 5 yard passes turning into 20-30 yard gains it's been ridiculous.

7 hours ago, Hoose said:

I also read up on him. My take was he isn’t the speed LB the Colts will be looking for. Doesn’t move well laterally. Smart player though. Might be best as an ILB in a 3-4 D. 

Not sure why you think hes a 3-4 inside LB. He was Iowa's 4-3 MLB for several years and did an excellent job dropping into the deep middle to defend the pass. He'll make someone a good MLB.

He doesn't play slow. All I can say.

Jewell totaled 136 tackles with 4.5 sacks, 13.5 tackles for a loss, one forced fumble, two interceptions and 11 passes batted in 2017. He missed some time with injuries, but still produced well for Iowa.

May not fit Colts scheme but to say you watch him play and didn't see anything makes one wonder what games he watched.