Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fa we need to get serious on whom we target

Just now, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Fair point. I just don't see Ballard being a guy who gets into bidding wars over players. I believe he will go in with an established number he is willing to spend on a guy and not go a dime over it. Because of that, I think that will keep us from signing some of the bigger name guys who more often than not get teams into bidding wars. This may not be pleasant for a season or two as it seems like we are being rejected but in the long run we won't be saddled with bad contracts and high cap hits. I trust Ballard. I just think a lot of people here are going to be disappointed when  we aren't signing big name free agents.

I agree 100% with this. Like I said, I dont expect to get the top players in like others do, but I expect Ballard to make some offers on them and maybe have an outside chance at a few guys. If we get them, all the better. 

8 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Fair point. I just don't see Ballard being a guy who gets into bidding wars over players. I believe he will go in with an established number he is willing to spend on a guy and not go a dime over it. Because of that, I think that will keep us from signing some of the bigger name guys who more often than not get teams into bidding wars. This may not be pleasant for a season or two as it seems like we are being rejected but in the long run we won't be saddled with bad contracts and high cap hits. I trust Ballard. I just think a lot of people here are going to be disappointed when  we aren't signing big name free agents.

I can see Ballard using that strategy with the mid tier guys and not wanting to overpay.  Players like Melvin, Hitchens, Fulton, Fleming to name a few.  But I would hope he realizes he will have pay to get the top tier guys who are entering their prime and will need to be paid to be acquired.  Norwell is the prime example.  When you have the cap space you can acquire a few of these players.  You might not have the opportunity in subsequent years.  Last year he was careful but this year he has to be aggressive in making sure Luck has the line and better weapons he needs to succeed when he returns.  

25 minutes ago, Shive said:

Watkins did pretty well his first 2 years, considering EJ Manuel, Kyle Orton, and Tyrod Taylor were his QB's.

Game Game Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece
Year Tm G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng Y/G Ctch%
2014 BUF 16 16 128 65 982 15.1 6 84 61.4 50.8%
2015 BUF 13 13 96 60 1047 17.5 9 63 80.5 62.5%
2016 BUF 8 8 52 28 430 15.4 2 62 53.8 53.8%
2017 LAR 15 14 70 39 593 15.2 8 67 39.5 55.7%

That's the point.  He was on a bad team with weak QB's playing outdoors in Buffalo.  He's only 24yrs. old.  He could explode with Luck and playing indoors for half his games.  He's the receiver I really hope gets free.  We will know shortly. 

1 hour ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I didnt say we wouldn't sign free agents. We will have to just to be able to fill the roster and to meet the requirements of minimum salary cap. We will definitely sign players. My point was I think as fans we are going to be disappointed when the Colts don't go after players like Norwell, Robinson, Watkins or any of the bigger name free agents. We did sign free agents last season but none that anyone would really say were major signings. I would love for us to sign some big name players, but I just don't see that happening.

I think he will go after a Top WR if there will be any available. They may all get tagged lol. He may have to settle for a combination like Pryor/Richardson. I think he wants a Big Bodied WR and at least Pryor is that.

I think he will be interested in Norwell but he will expensive and have lots of suitors. I think he will be a long shot to land.

Ballard may think Jimmy Graham is past his prime, if not he may go after him. Especially if he can't get his big bodied WR.

Other than that you could be right. So many needs he may have to go quanity over big names.

3 hours ago, boo2202 said:

I have the same worries but if he turns a blind eye to our offensive line, I think he'll be setting himself up for failure. I think Ballard is a smart enough man to know if the line isn't fixed there will be some upset fans in the Luke next year.

I think that he fixed the DL in last years FA

so I think he also thought that the OL was fixed last year but will really go after it this year in Fa

so yes he will fix the OL this year

I am sure Ballard has a list but he’s made it clear he’s not going to way over pay for someone.  I doubt the Colts are going to be in the market for any of the “big names” that go the first day for huge money so people shouldn’t freak out if that happens.

We target norwell and fusco for the line .... that leaves us clear to draft Chubb at #4 after we trade with browns so they can draft a QB after they get Barkley at 1 and the giants take Nelson at 2 .... there’s more to this just not going to go into it now. 

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Isn't he a knee injury waiting to happen?

3 ACL surgeries already, yeah. He could be done, but he’s talented.

We have the depth at DT to take a punt on him/give him a tryout. I can’t see a team giving him much.

Low risk / high reward

How can we get serious when we don't even know who will be a free agent? March 6th franchise tags have to be tendered....thus some guys will come off the market...there are always some surprises but most should be expected. Then March 14th at 4pm is the deadline to start the 2018 season. Thus all the way up to that point we will see some major cuts for teams that will be positioning themselves for the offseason and working their cap numbers. There are going to be even more free agents then we have now on the cutting room floor. We don't even have an official list. It's great to speculate but a lot is going to change over the next week and half. Big names...will get cut....doesn't mean we need to go after them but guys like Michael Bennett and Ndamukong Suh are possibilities. So while it's nice to make a list...it's going to change drastically when the smoke all clears I promise.

14 hours ago, Shive said:

I don't think that's an appropriate comparison. I always thought Tavon Austin hadn't lived up to his draft position because he was severely over-drafted and isn't all that good of a WR, just a gadget guy.

Watkins is a really good WR, just a bit injury prone. If we could get him on a reasonable contract, I would be all in. See if Rusty Jones can work his magic to help Watkins avoid injuries..

Because Indy is the place where players go to be healthy. :D

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

How can we get serious when we don't even know who will be a free agent? March 6th franchise tags have to be tendered....thus some guys will come off the market...there are always some surprises but most should be expected. Then March 14th at 4pm is the deadline to start the 2018 season. Thus all the way up to that point we will see some major cuts for teams that will be positioning themselves for the offseason and working their cap numbers. There are going to be even more free agents then we have now on the cutting room floor. We don't even have an official list. It's great to speculate but a lot is going to change over the next week and half. Big names...will get cut....doesn't mean we need to go after them but guys like Michael Bennett and Ndamukong Suh are possibilities. So while it's nice to make a list...it's going to change drastically when the smoke all clears I promise.

I thought about Suh but that's a massive contract. Not sure if we could structure that favorably.

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Just read reports on BR that Watkins and Fuller are not expected to be tagged.  IMO great news for the Colts if true. 

Both would be great pickups. Watkins is the WR I want the most, although I wouldn't be surprised if no WR is signed.