Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Appeal of the Colts

Lucky Colts Fan

Is Indy an appealing destination for free agents?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Is Indy an appealing destination for free agents?

• Yes
    • No

56 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Cleveland or Detroit?/  I have to been to both of them quite a bit over the years and I would take Indy in a heartbeat over either one of them.

LJ said those cities were more unappealing, ie. worse than indy.

I read it wrong the first time too ("less appealing" would have been a more helpful sentence structure) but think you guys are making the same point. :thmup:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cities are mostly irrelevant in the NFL.  That's why Green Bay and Pittsburgh are major markets while New York and LA are mediocre markets. 

Besides, NFL teams aren't built via free agency but rather thru the draft.  Seriously when was the last time there was a debacle like 'LeDecision' in the NFL?  Most players, let alone superstars, hardly ever leave their teams when they're performing at a high level.  Those who do leave will chase money regardless of playing in a particular city, becoming overpaid in the process.

28 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Yes and no.  For example, growing his brand is very important to LeBron, and all 30 NBA teams want him on their team.  A guy wanting to play in a big market for sponsorship opportunities doesn't necessarily mean he won't help the team win.

It's 2018, players don't need big markets to grow their brand.  Which you just pointed out with James.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But Jacksonville has one important thing that only a few NFL teams can match.

NO.    STATE.     TAX!!

Only Miami, Tampa, Dallas, Houston and Arizona have that.

If two franchises are offering roughly the same money, the franchise with no state tax has the big advantage.    Roughly 10 percent.

Washington and Tennessee have no state income tax FYI. 10 percent is the top (minus California) and goes down from there but that doesn’t paint a great picture because you have to factor in sales and property taxes. Texas has no state income tax but is 2-3 times higher property taxes than Nevada which is also no state income tax.

25 minutes ago, Indy Fan said:

Washington and Tennessee have no state income tax FYI. 10 percent is the top (minus California) and goes down from there but that doesn’t paint a great picture because you have to factor in sales and property taxes. Texas has no state income tax but is 2-3 times higher property taxes than Nevada which is also no state income tax.

Tennessee also has a very high property tax. I have a brother who was living right inside the Tn./ Ky. line and he moved into Ky. because of the higher cost of living in Tn. Plus TN. charges sales tax on groceries there.

I think in reality most taxes, excise taxes and property taxes are pretty close when you look at the bottom line for what states charge. Where the big difference is the general cost of living. Things like car insurance are much higher in the no fault states.

As I said in earlier post the housing cost in Indiana is much cheaper in states like Indiana, Ohio, Ky. and etc...  The closer you get to both coast the higher houses, apartments and condos cost. Even the burbs of Chicago the housing is expensive.

I built a house in Beech Grove In. and the cost was $110,000. about 10 years ago while my cousin built a home in Naperville IL. and it was $300,000. around the same time.  I got more footage and more land than he did but basically the houses were the same as far as what they were.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I see what you are saying but there is a pretty big difference between the NBA and the NFL in the impact that one player can make. For one thing there is a hard cap in the NFL. The cap is laugh at in the NBA.

My aim wasn't to compare the NBA and NFL.  All I'm saying is a player can have a priority to market his brand while also being a significant contributor/not a distraction/extremely talented and helping the team win.

54 minutes ago, BOTT said:

It's 2018, players don't need big markets to grow their brand.  Which you just pointed out with James.

I suppose the dynamics are different in this modern age, but the appeal of a big market and the money that follows could lead players to be more attracted to bigger cities

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think in reality most taxes, excise taxes and property taxes are pretty close when you look at the bottom line for what states charge. Where the big difference is the general cost of living. Things like car insurance are much higher in the no fault states.

As I said in earlier post the housing cost in Indiana is much cheaper in states like Indiana, Ohio, Ky. and etc...  The closer you get to both coast the higher houses, apartments and condos cost. Even the burbs of Chicago the housing is expensive.

I built a house in Beech Grove In. and the cost was $110,000. about 10 years ago while my cousin built a home in Naperville IL. and it was $300,000. around the same time.  I got more footage and more land than he did but basically the houses were the same as far as what they were.

They essentially are similar for most states which minor exceptions like California is pretty high across the board. On the opposite end you probably have a state like Nevada where there is no state income tax, sales tax is pretty normal, property taxes are low, and cost of living is dirt cheap since vast majority of taxes there are from gambling.

6 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

I said yes because i was born and raised in Indiana. It aint so bad. I didnt marry my cousin and I have all my teeth, so its better than Kentucky. 

Couldn't you think of some humor that isn't so old and stale?  I been hearing that nonsense all my life and I am in my 60s.

16 minutes ago, Indy Fan said:

They essentially are similar for most states which minor exceptions like California is pretty high across the board. On the opposite end you probably have a state like Nevada where there is no state income tax, sales tax is pretty normal, property taxes are low, and cost of living is dirt cheap since vast majority of taxes there are from gambling.

You also have to keep in mind that Nevada has very little to offer in industry as far as supporting their state. The cost of living is lower there but the wage scale is also lower.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

NO.    STATE.     TAX!!

If two franchises are offering roughly the same money, the franchise with no state tax has the big advantage.    Roughly 10 percent.

Add the Seahawks to the state tax free clubs.  

I think it’s pretty obvious we are not an appealing destination for free agents. We are a team trying to build with youth and a GM that basically jettisoned everybody we had over 30 and doesn’t target or pay older players...and considering most free agents would be in that 28-32 range those are not the type of players Ballard wants on the team. 

5 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Things of appeal:

Andrew Luck

Likeable Head Coach (unproven)

Chance to start

Nice Stadium

History

Not so appealing:

Indy city life

Not seen as a win now team.

I agree with all but the “not so appealing”.Coming from a colts fan that lives in Harrisburg,Pa. I would say the city is appealing, I’ve been to both football cities in Pa and find Indy to be a much nicer city.. just my opinion.

And as far as a win now team, I’d say anything is possible with Luck!!

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You also have to keep in mind that Nevada has very little to offer in industry as far as supporting their state. The cost of living is lower there but the wage scale is also lower.

Depends on what you do truthfully. I've lived in Indy and Las Vegas and I made more in Las Vegas, however, the nice areas in Las Vegas are definitely higher than Carmel. You also have to be comfortable living right next to your neighbor which takes some time to get use to.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

NO.    STATE.     TAX!!

Florida state house knows how to play the game on the board they're given.  They have higher state sales tax, to make money off of the tourism.  And balance it with no state income tax, to attract high-end income earners to live there.  Pretty smart, those Floridians.

First off, the team as we all know, is in trouble. It is full of holes. The QB is in question. The defense stinks as much as the offense. The coaching staff is new. The GM is new. Gone are the days of the Colts being the best in the AFC South as they are now the worst. The city? Yeah, known for its ocean sunsets, tropical weather and palm trees.

But....the Colts have money and now days that is priority #1.

"Wait and see":coltshelmet:.

51 minutes ago, King Colt said:

First off, the team as we all know, is in trouble. It is full of holes. The QB is in question. The defense stinks as much as the offense. The coaching staff is new. The GM is new. Gone are the days of the Colts being the best in the AFC South as they are now the worst. The city? Yeah, known for its ocean sunsets, tropical weather and palm trees.

But....the Colts have money and now days that is priority #1.

"Wait and see":coltshelmet:.

Yeah, we have a few tornadoes but we don't have storms that strip everything in sight away and have to rebuild every few years. So your welcome to the ocean sunsets, tropical weather and palm trees.

Sorry, I don't live in doom and gloom.

I have lived in Indianapolis all my life and have never encountered a Tornado, that is 46 years of living. It is rare we even get Blizzards now days, the last 4 winters have been mild. I have a friend that has been bragging about his retirement because he's getting ready to move to Florida. He is bragging about the ocean and hot weather, no more cold he says. That's all fine and dandy until a Hurricane wipes out your house. I would rather put up with 3 months of cold weather = December-Feb and live in Indy where the city is clean than live in Hurricane land. March-November here is pretty good. Our city is nice downtown too, St Elmo and Lucas Oil Stadium are sweet. February has been warmer here more than normal this year too. The cost of living here isn't too bad either. Indiana is a great place to raise a family in reality as well. I can take vacation time and go to Florida for 2 or 3 weeks during our cold months if I want.

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have lived in Indianapolis all my life and have never encountered a Tornado, that is 46 years of living. It is rare we even get Blizzards now days, the last 4 winters have been mild. I have a friend that has been bragging about his retirement because he's getting ready to move to Florida. He is bragging about the ocean and hot weather, no more cold he says. That's all fine and dandy until a Hurricane wipes out your house. I would rather put up with 3 months of cold weather = December-Feb and live in Indy where the city is clean than live in Hurricane land. March-November here is pretty good. Our city is nice downtown too, St Elmo and Lucas Oil Stadium are sweet. February has been warmer here more than normal this year too. The cost of living here isn't too bad either. Indiana is a great place to raise a family in reality as well. I can take vacation time and go to Florida for 2 or 3 weeks during our cold months if I want.

There have been three devastating tornadoes here in the Tri-State in my lifetime not to mention the Historic 1925 Tri-State Tornado that destroyed much of Princeton. Maybe it is because I live near 4 Iconic Indiana Rivers

39 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

There have been three devastating tornadoes here in the Tri-State in my lifetime not to mention the Historic 1925 Tri-State Tornado that destroyed much of Princeton. Maybe it is because I live near 4 Iconic Indiana Rivers

There is a huge difference between hurricanes and tornados. Tornadoes do not relocate thousands of people like Katrina did. The tornados here don't touch what happens in Oklahoma and northern Texas. (tornado ally)

I have been around three serious tornados in my lifetime and even lost both my fraternal grandparents to the Palm Sunday tornados that ripped through in 1965. I was in Spokane Wa. when Mt. St. Helens erupted in 1980.  I was also only one day away from being on the I-80 bridge that collapsed  in the Bay Area in 1989.

I will take my chances with a tornado any day over Hurricanes, Volcanos or earthquakes thank you.

On 1/10/2018 at 2:21 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I'll give you another hypothetical...    but based on what's being reported, it doesn't seem unreasonable to think this...

The Colts finish their interview and tell Nagy it went well but they have more interviews to do and the process will likely take another week or 10 days to conclude.

Meanwhile, the Bears tell Nagy the interview was great and they're ready to offer him the job right now and need a decision asap.

Which would you pick?   The job offer right now?   Or the wait of another week or so with the real possibility that the job would go to another candidate?

Nagy does what's best for him and so do the Colts.

On 2/13/2018 at 11:06 AM, Andrew Luck fan club said:

I don’t want him to return(he’s just too old), but “hell no” is too disrespectful of an answer for Frank. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

There is a huge difference between hurricanes and tornados. Tornadoes do not relocate thousands of people like Katrina did. The tornados here don't touch what happens in Oklahoma and northern Texas. (tornado ally)

I have been around three serious tornados in my lifetime and even lost both my fraternal grandparents to the Palm Sunday tornados that ripped through in 1965. I was in Spokane Wa. when Mt. St. Helens erupted in 1980.  I was also only one day away from being on the I-80 bridge that collapsed  in the Bay Area in 1989.

I will take my chances with a tornado any day over Hurricanes, Volcanos or earthquakes thank you.

I was playing 3b in a softball game about noon in Spokane when Mount St. Helens blew. We saw the skies but just kept playing but when I could no longer see the batter at the plate, we finally figured out something big was up.

5 minutes ago, ColtsAC said:

I was playing 3b in a softball game about noon in Spokane when Mount St. Helens blew. We saw the skies but just kept playing but when I could no longer see the batter at the plate, we finally figured out something big was up.

Yeah, I was out just west of Spokane out by the Air Force base. I used to own a truck I had least on with System TWT. I was at their terminal when the eruption happened. I was heading out to pick up a load at Kaiser Aluminum in Trentwood.

It was like driving in the Twilight Zone for sure.

53 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sadly The Weather that hits down here is devastating(As I type this the communities just south of Princeton are flooding) and it is often because of our location at the confluence of the White and Wabash, Patoka and Wabash and Wabash and Ohio Rivers

The Tri-State Tornado was the Deadliest 

Princeton is also near the New Madrid and Wabash Valley Faults(the Tri-State has been waiting for the big one my entire life)

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Sadly The Weather that hits down here is devastating(As I type this the communities just south of Princeton are flooding) and it is often because of our location at the confluence of the White and Wabash, Patoka and Wabash and Wabash and Ohio Rivers

The Tri-State Tornado was the Deadliest 

Princeton is also near the New Madrid and Wabash Valley Faults(the Tri-State has been waiting for the big one my entire life)

Well if you can find anything positive about the fault line at least if the big one does hit you wont be falling into the ocean like the west coast. If there is one thing none of us can control or do anything about, it's mother nature.

18 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well isn't that the point of bringing in free agents? To fix those problems?

It is & the point is since 2012 to this very day is still a problem even tho FA's have failed to produce a O-line that is able to protect the franchise .

We need to build thru the draft for the most part & if a quality O-lineman is available like a Norwell I'm on board hopefully Ballard can & will do much better than Grigson & I expect some of our young O-lineman to step up .

2 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

It is & the point is since 2012 to this very day is still a problem even tho FA's have failed to produce a O-line that is able to protect the franchise .

We need to build thru the draft for the most part & if a quality O-lineman is available like a Norwell I'm on board hopefully Ballard can & will do much better than Grigson & I expect some of our young O-lineman to step up .

Exactly. There will be those who object to taking O-linemen if they are picked earlier then most think they should be picked. Kelly and Costanzo are set and maybe get Bond back from injury. Haeg and Good don't seem to be cutting it. Mewhort is a big question mark. I don't think he has much left. His body just keeps him playing.

19 hours ago, indyblue said:

I agree with all but the “not so appealing”.Coming from a colts fan that lives in Harrisburg,Pa. I would say the city is appealing, I’ve been to both football cities in Pa and find Indy to be a much nicer city.. just my opinion.

And as far as a win now team, I’d say anything is possible with Luck!!

I was more or less comparing it to other cities such as LA, New York, Miami, Tampa, even Chicago. etc... 

Indy doesn't even come close to competing to those. Still better than some but not even close to top.

2 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

I was more or less comparing it to other cities such as LA, New York, Miami, Tampa, even Chicago. etc... 

Indy doesn't even come close to competing to those. Still better than some but not even close to top.

It all depends on what you want 

I would not live in anyone of those major markets

22 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

It depends on how a player is wired. If they love the nightlife and are single than those cities would be better suited for them. If a player is married and has a family than Indy would be better a place IMO. Take a player like Peyton, he didn't care at all about the nightlife, he was a Football nerd and studied film 10 hours a day. Indy was a perfect fit for him.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It depends on how a player is wired. If they love the nightlife and are single than those cities would be better suited for them. If a player is married and has a family than Indy would be better a place IMO. Take a player like Peyton, he didn't care at all about the nightlife, he was a Football nerd and studied film 10 hours a day. Indy was a perfect fit for him.

It can also can depend on where they are from too