Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Pauline: Some pre-combine news/rumors

http://draftanalyst.com/tuesday-draft-notes-pre-combine-10

http://draftanalyst.com/notes-combine-training-settle-looks-cat-quik

OTs:

-teams think Mike McGlinchey is the only left tackle worthy of day 1 selection

-teams think Orlando Brown is strictly right tackle material, has late first grade

-teams don't like Connor Williams as much as I do - they think he might need to play guard

-Chukwuma Okorafor, Brian O'Neill and Kolton Miller are day 2 selections in their books. They will need work to become NFL ready

LBs

-Tremaine Edmunds and Leighton Vander Esch are raising up draft boards. A lot of superlatives on Vander Esch, some scouts think he's 3 downs LB and compare him to Urlacher. He's expected to kill the combine. Edmunds expected to go in the top 12, big question for him at the combine - change of direction

-Roquan Smith might fall a bit in the first. Teams think he's good in zone coverage but he has trouble covering RBs and TEs in man to man

DEs

-Duke Ejiofor - underwent successful labrum surgery. 

-Bradley Chubb ran in the upper 4.7s last week

WRs

-Marcel Ateman training with 200m and 400m Olympic champion and ex world record holder Michael Johnson for the combine and is getting rave reviews on his work ethic. 

-Korey Robertson who the Colts have been linked with at the Shrine game, is expected to run around 4.45 40 and jump around 38" vertical jump. This is at a great frame of 6'1" and 215lbs. 

DTs

-B.J. Hill and Justin Jones from North Carolina State are expected to run under 5 seconds at the 40.

-Tim Settle expected to post incredible 10 yard split - he has gone as low as 1.61 in training. 

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’ve been thinking lately that Williams would make a great guard like Brandon Scherff.

I still think he can play left tackle. I honestly don't know if this is smokescreens or what. If I draft Connor Williams I'm putting him at tackle first. 

4 minutes ago, Indy Fan said:

I was hoping LVE would fall to us in the second. 

I was high on this notion too...heck if LVE and Edwards blow up the combine, maybe Raquan Smith falls to us...think Rueban Foster (although his was attitude related obviously) But one has to think how many teams really WANT/NEED a MLB.  I would be pretty ecstatic if we go Chubb and then either Smith or LVE in the second

2 hours ago, gnet550 said:

I was high on this notion too...heck if LVE and Edwards blow up the combine, maybe Raquan Smith falls to us...think Rueban Foster (although his was attitude related obviously) But one has to think how many teams really WANT/NEED a MLB.  I would be pretty ecstatic if we go Chubb and then either Smith or LVE in the second

That's my thoughts exactly. If we add in Vander-Esch, you have 4 projected 1st round MLBs (Smith, Edmunds, and Evans). I can't remember the last time that many off ball LBs went in the 1st round. Something's got to give. I'd put more money on Edmunds and VE going in the 1st because of their prototypical MLB size and freaky measureables they'll display at the combine. That means Smith or Evans could likely fall to the 2nd round.

16 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Unless Connor has t-rex arms I’m trying him at tackle first. Would be a great guard though too imo. 

I think it'd be safer to start him inside. He's got some kinks in his game he needs to work out before he can be trusted on the outside. Let him gain some power for 2 years and if you still need a tackle in 1-2 seasons, then kick him out at LT or RT. That's what the Giants should have done with Flowers.

My hunch on Williams is everyone is waiting on measurements...

And not just height... but especially arm length.. the longer the better... but if it under 34 then some may see a RT... and if it's under 33 then some (many?) may see a guard.

The combine will tell us a lot about a lot of players...

1 hour ago, Colt Overseas said:

Would be impressed if Chubb runs in the 4.7s.

Not a massive fan of Orlando Brown, would agree on the analysis that he is only a RT. He doesn't look too athletic and will struggle against speed rushers I think, though he has great length.

I don't think anyone expects Chubb to run in the 4.6s

*ignore...i misread your first sentence.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think it'd be safer to start him inside. He's got some kinks in his game he needs to work out before he can be trusted on the outside. Let him gain some power for 2 years and if you still need a tackle in 1-2 seasons, then kick him out at LT or RT. That's what the Giants should have done with Flowers.

I think he’s going to be a very good player either way. 

12 hours ago, stitches said:

-teams don't like Connor Williams as much as I do - they think he might need to play guard

I don't get it either. He can definitely play guard, but he has good feet, good length, good balance, good power... I don't see why he can't play tackle in the NFL. Even left tackle. I'd have zero problem starting him at RT in Year 1.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't get it either. He can definitely play guard, but he has good feet, good length, good balance, good power... I don't see why he can't play tackle in the NFL. Even left tackle. I'd have zero problem starting him at RT in Year 1.

Same here. I think part of it must be smokescreens. Part of it might be one team trying to make other teams go look for faults so they can get him late in the first or early in the second? 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's a pretty big spread....

I suspect your prediction is likely safe...

Yeah. I’m probably being overly optimistic thinking he could possibly run as high as a 4.7 flat. In reality 4.75-4.80 is probably a better spread. Ideally I don’t want to see him in the 4.8 range at all but if it’s high then it’s acceptable 

7 hours ago, stitches said:

Same here. I think part of it must be smokescreens. Part of it might be one team trying to make other teams go look for faults so they can get him late in the first or early in the second? 

This is also pre-combine/pro day talk.  After he shows movement, measurements, and potential talent you might hear a different tune.  I think Connor will definitely be able to play RT at the next level.  Especially if they are mentioning Orlando as a RT.  Williams has an all-around better upside in my eyes than Brown.  McGlinchey I might have to re-watch a little.  I like him and think he is solid in run blocking but he needs to show better with pass blocking.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah. I’m probably being overly optimistic thinking he could possibly run as high as a 4.7 flat. In reality 4.75-4.80 is probably a better spread. Ideally I don’t want to see him in the 4.8 range at all but if it’s high then it’s acceptable 

I'm more interested in seeing his 10-yard split time, which is what you're really paying him to do on most plays. If you watch tape on him, however, you'll often see him chasing a play far downfield, and even getting in on the tackle. He almost never becomes a spectator on any play. Gotta love that.

Re: Bradley Chubb

I agree he's going to be a good player.  I'm just not sold yet that he's going to be a franchise-defining player.  The kind of guy that goes to 8 pro bowls.  The kind of guy you spend a top 5 pick on.  Will be watching the "Polian Explosive Rush" measurables at the combine.  And even then, I may not be totally sold.

8 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

I'm more interested in seeing his 10-yard split time, which is what you're really paying him to do on most plays. If you watch tape on him, however, you'll often see him chasing a play far downfield, and even getting in on the tackle. He almost never becomes a spectator on any play. Gotta love that.

Yeah I don't have too many questions about his athleticism. I saw his Louisville tape where he chased down Lamar Jackson. I've also seen the play where he was in coverage and made the INT or pass breakup, forgot which one it was. I just want to see how he stacks up. We all know he isn't the freak that Garrett or Mack were coming out. Bosa is who he gets compared to a lot, and IIRC, Bosa ran like a 4.87 or something at the combine. Barnett didn't run well either but I think on tape, Chubb is a better athlete and overall pass rusher than Barnett.

Here's some more rumors from Tony Pauline:

http://draftanalyst.com/tuesday-draft-notes-pre-combine-20

http://draftanalyst.com/pre-combine-linebacker-boards-taking-shape

LBs:

- Edmunds, Vander Esch and Roquan Smith are considered the top 3 linebackers and are being graded as first round picks so far. Rashaan Evans is a second round pick according to teams, but he can slide into the first. 

- the second wave of linebackers with day 2 value are Josey Jewell, Lorenzo Carter(OLB?), Darius Leonard, Uchenna Nwosu

- some teams consider Marcus Davenport 34 OLB

- surprisingly teams grade Ogbonnia Okoronkwo as a day 3 pick???

Micah Kiser of Virginia, Keishawn Bierria from Washington and Mississippi’s Marquis Haynes are being graded as late day 3 picks.

TEs

-If there is a round 1 pick TE in the draft it will be Dallas Goedert. It's still not clear in what tests he will participate next week in Indy. He got a hamstring injury at the Senior Bowl

-Ian Thomas and Hayden Hurst are the other two highly rated TEs, they are followed by Mike Gesicki

- Mark Andrews and Dalton Schultz are fringe round 3 players. Troy Fumagalli - 5th

OGs

-Quenton Nelson is ahead of every other guard prospect by considerable margin

-Isaiah Wynn and Will Hernandez are rated by several teams as late first rounders, but teams believe only one will probably be selected day 1. 

On 2/19/2018 at 4:55 PM, NewColtsFan said:

My hunch on Williams is everyone is waiting on measurements...

And not just height... but especially arm length.. the longer the better... but if it under 34 then some may see a RT... and if it's under 33 then some (many?) may see a guard.

The combine will tell us a lot about a lot of players...

What if its say....only 20 ??

waterboy?

6 hours ago, stitches said:

Here's some more rumors from Tony Pauline:

http://draftanalyst.com/tuesday-draft-notes-pre-combine-20

http://draftanalyst.com/pre-combine-linebacker-boards-taking-shape

LBs:

- Edmunds, Vander Esch and Roquan Smith are considered the top 3 linebackers and are being graded as first round picks so far. Rashaan Evans is a second round pick according to teams, but he can slide into the first. 

- the second wave of linebackers with day 2 value are Josey Jewell, Lorenzo Carter(OLB?), Darius Leonard, Uchenna Nwosu

- some teams consider Marcus Davenport 34 OLB

- surprisingly teams grade Ogbonnia Okoronkwo as a day 3 pick???

Micah Kiser of Virginia, Keishawn Bierria from Washington and Mississippi’s Marquis Haynes are being graded as late day 3 picks.

TEs

-If there is a round 1 pick TE in the draft it will be Dallas Goedert. It's still not clear in what tests he will participate next week in Indy. He got a hamstring injury at the Senior Bowl

-Ian Thomas and Hayden Hurst are the other two highly rated TEs, they are followed by Mike Gesicki

- Mark Andrews and Dalton Schultz are fringe round 3 players. Troy Fumagalli - 5th

OGs

-Quenton Nelson is ahead of every other guard prospect by considerable margin

-Isaiah Wynn and Will Hernandez are rated by several teams as late first rounders, but teams believe only one will probably be selected day 1. 

I’ve heard that Evans isn’t expected to blow up the combine and some people think he’s mostly a thumper. MLB might be his best position.

47 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I don't know what I'm missing on Smith. From watching him, I sure hope the Colts don't draft him. He is small and Fournette would run him over twice a year.

I don't know why you decided anyone will run him over? Roquan is stout and strong. He was stopping much bigger RBs on the spot in the playoffs this year. He pretty much stonewalled Bo Scarborough(who is bigger than Fournette) on third and short in the final:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22008736

Roquan's problems are not with tackling and stopping RBs. He had some insane numbers this year. At some point towards the end of the year he had 0(ZERO!!!!) missed tackles on running downs and 2 missed tackles on passing downs. That was from about 700 snaps. I don't know if you realize how insane this is, but he definitely does not struggle taking people down.

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't know why you decided anyone will run him over? Roquan is stout and strong. He was stopping much bigger RBs on the spot in the playoffs this year. He pretty much stonewalled Bo Scarborough(who is bigger than Fournette) on third and short in the final:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22008736

I appreciate you showing the clip, but Bo didn't have a chance to take a step and square his shoulders. We agree to disagree, you like Smith and I think he will be an early round disappointment.

8 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I appreciate you showing the clip, but Bo didn't have a chance to take a step and square his shoulders. We agree to disagree, you like Smith and I think he will be an early round disappointment.

It's not just this one. He's been a great tackler in his career. I added another paragraph in the reply above with some stats. He doesn't miss tackles. Nobody is running him over... like... ever. I'm including the paragraph from above in case you miss my addition:

Roquan's problems are not with tackling and stopping RBs. He had some insane numbers this year. At some point towards the end of the year he had 0(ZERO!!!!) missed tackles on running downs and 2 missed tackles on passing downs. That was from about 700 snaps. I don't know if you realize how insane this is, but he definitely does not struggle taking people down.

Edit: i found the exact stat - 37 run stops and zero missed tackles on running downs, 2 missed tackles on passing downs. This is 2 missed tackles on over 560 snaps. No.4 overall tackling efficiency in the country, no.5 tackling efficiency against the run in the country. This is not someone who is getting ran over. This is someone who trucks people. 

19 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Blue, the play shows quick recognition, quick recognition of the pick, and a quick take down.
Maybe a lot of RB's won't get a chance to step and square their shoulders. :thinking:

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think maybe you need to watch some more tape and look at the numbers. He is solid.

Again we all have different opinions on looking at the same thing and coming to different conclusions. You like Smith and that's your opinion. We will see who's right in a couple years.

On 2/19/2018 at 12:04 PM, stitches said:

http://draftanalyst.com/tuesday-draft-notes-pre-combine-10

http://draftanalyst.com/notes-combine-training-settle-looks-cat-quik

OTs:

-teams think Mike McGlinchey is the only left tackle worthy of day 1 selection

-teams think Orlando Brown is strictly right tackle material, has late first grade

-Chukwuma Okorafor, Brian O'Neill and Kolton Miller are day 2 selections in their books. They will need work to become NFL ready

LBs

-Tremaine Edmunds and Leighton Vander Esch are raising up draft boards. A lot of superlatives on Vander Esch, some scouts think he's 3 downs LB and compare him to Urlacher. He's expected to kill the combine. Edmunds expected to go in the top 12, big question for him at the combine - change of direction

-Roquan Smith might fall a bit in the first. Teams think he's good in zone coverage but he has trouble covering RBs and TEs in man to man

DEs

-Duke Ejiofor - underwent successful labrum surgery. 

-Bradley Chubb ran in the upper 4.7s last week

WRs

-Marcel Ateman training with 200m and 400m Olympic champion and ex world record holder Michael Johnson for the combine and is getting rave reviews on his work ethic. 

-Korey Robertson who the Colts have been linked with at the Shrine game, is expected to run around 4.45 40 and jump around 38" vertical jump. This is at a great frame of 6'1" and 215lbs. 

DTs

-B.J. Hill and Justin Jones from North Carolina State are expected to run under 5 seconds at the 40.

-Tim Settle expected to post incredible 10 yard split - he has gone as low as 1.61 in training. 

Thanks for this kind sir.
With articles like this, the combine and free agency,  we can now direct ourselves to things of real interest rather than the deluge of so much mindless blathering.

8 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Again we all have different opinions on looking at the same thing and coming to different conclusions. You like Smith and that's your opinion. We will see who's right in a couple years.

I don't understand why you are negative with every thing that is said in this forum. It's like you take the opposite opinion of anyone else's opinion no matter what the subject is. Is there anything in this forum you agree on?

I say this not as an insult or to start anything, but an observation.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't understand why you are negative with every thing that is said in this forum. It's like you take the opposite opinion of anyone else's opinion no matter what the subject is. Is there anything in this forum you agree on?

I say this not as an insult or to start anything, but an observation.

What are you talking about? I give a lot of positive likes to posters. A lot!

I have to agree on Smith.  If u watch the Oklahoma game, I thought he was invisible.  Offensive linemen locked on him and he got washed out.  I thought it was a good game to assess his abilities.  Oklahoma is very aggressive offensively and I just thought he looked average.   I think it shows the value  or lack of value in drafting an inside linebacker high in the draft.  Unless he is a game changer , which  I dont think Smith is.

Roquan Smith will go in the first round. Probably won't make it past 20 first picks.

I like the kid, but I can't see us drafting him, unless we trade way down. Not hoping that happens.

All for a trade, but only to a position that'll still land us Quenton Nelson.

If Rashaan Evans is there when we pick in the second, I would grab him in the blink of an eye. I would love to have him as our MLB. More than any other ILB in this years draft actually.

9 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

I don't know what I'm missing on Smith. From watching him, I sure hope the Colts don't draft him. He is small and Fournette would run him over twice a year.

Kiper claimed smith played at 240 all season