Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Pauline: Some pre-combine news/rumors

Here's Pauline's mock draft pre-combine:

http://draftanalyst.com/monday-musings-pre-combine-two-rounder

Indianapolis Colts

Bradley Chubb

DL

North Carolina State

Analysis: I fully expect this pick to be in play for a team that wants to move up and grab a quarterback. The Colts have a bevy of needs, and they get a great prospect in Chubb.

#36 Indianapolis Colts - Orlando Brown/OL/Oklahoma

That would be a good draft IMO. Especially if we manage to trade down to 5 or 6 in the draft and and still get Chubb... 

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here's Pauline's mock draft pre-combine:

http://draftanalyst.com/monday-musings-pre-combine-two-rounder

That would be a good draft IMO. Especially if we manage to trade down to 5 or 6 in the draft and and still get Chubb... 

Yep, that would be great. Although I wouldn't mind Johnson, Jewell, or Key if the draft falls that way.

http://draftanalyst.com/pre-combine-cornerback-boards-plenty-top-100-talent

CB chatter:

-Minkah Fitzpatrick! Very few teams view him as a safety. Most teams count him as a CB and they think he's the best CB by a wide margin. This is yet another piece of evidence in my mind that he is a legit possibility for the Colts at 3. 

-Denzel Ward, Carlton Davis and Josh Jackson are the other 3 corners graded as first rounders. 

-Mike Hughes is ranked as late first-early second. 

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

CB chatter:

-Minkah Fitzpatrick! Very few teams view him as a safety. Most teams count him as a CB and they think he's the best CB by a wide margin. This is yet another piece of evidence in my mind that he is a legit possibility for the Colts at 3. 

-Denzel Ward, Carlton Davis and Josh Jackson are the other 3 corners graded as first rounders. 

Depends on what we do in free agency. If someone like Trumaine Johnson is signed, then there's no fit for Fitzpatrick, although I'd love to have him. He'd play more CB here than safety.

48 minutes ago, stitches said:

CB chatter:

Been saying this for a while, he IS on the level of a Jalen Ramsey coming out. He was even more versatile than Ramsey, although he doesn't have the experience outside that Ramsey had coming out (not to say he doesn't have ANY). This kid could be a Ramsey all over again, and by all accounts, is a leader and keeps his nose clean. I would welcome him to the Colts any day.

The Connor Williams thing doesn't surprise me.  I've heard a lot of rumors that the NFL teams don't view him nearly as highly as the media and fans do.

I've heard he may go in the 3rd.  

I think they said he needs to put on some muscle.  So it sounds like he's at the very least a developmental prospect.  

1 hour ago, IndyScribe said:

Depends on what we do in free agency. If someone like Trumaine Johnson is signed, then there's no fit for Fitzpatrick, although I'd love to have him. He'd play more CB here than safety.

Why would Johnson make Fitzpatrick not a fit?

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

The Connor Williams thing doesn't surprise me.  I've heard a lot of rumors that the NFL teams don't view him nearly as highly as the media and fans do.

I think they said he needs to put on some muscle.  So it sounds like he's at the very least a developmental prospect.  

He’s only got 33” arms and weighed in at 295. I’m curious to see what he does on the bench press though.

3 hours ago, BOTT said:

Why would Johnson make Fitzpatrick not a fit?

Because where would he play? Presumably Johnson would be #1, and would be paid like it. CB2 goes to Wilson. If we play Fitzpatrick at CB2, he takes Wilson's playing time. If we play Fitzpatrick at CB1, you effectively wasted money on Johnson. He wouldn't fit at safety either since we have Hooker there.

I beleive that most people don't look at what scheme a team runs when making predictions for the draft.  I would b shocked if the colts picked Fitzpatrick even if they traded back .  If u look at the scheme that the colts will b running, he is not their type of guy.  They have their high pick in Hooker to play outfield.  Now they will surround him with lower pick corners. Corners who r lower picks because they may not have a blazing fourty, but r physical and can tackle. I don't believe  they will draft a pure cover corner; thats a luxury pick and not a  big need for this  D. Look at Tampa Bay.....Seattle and the Bears when they ran this defence.  I believe  the high picks will b put into the the D line and mayb one of the line backing positions . The assets and money will spent    on the line D. When a starting corner's contract is due,  u can let him walk if his demands r high  and if he values himself the same as a pure cover corner.  U can keep drafting corners but resign players on the D line.

6 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Because where would he play? Presumably Johnson would be #1, and would be paid like it. CB2 goes to Wilson. If we play Fitzpatrick at CB2, he takes Wilson's playing time. If we play Fitzpatrick at CB1, you effectively wasted money on Johnson. He wouldn't fit at safety either since we have Hooker there.

I honestly forgot about Wilson.  Having said that I wouldnt pass on a potential stud because of Wilson.  Plus, Dallas played a lot of 3 safety when Eberflus was there...making Fitzpatrick even more attractive.

11 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

The whole Connor Williams goes in the third thing is an old rumor that doesn't die...

It came from Walter Football back in September...    now CW may or may not go in the first,   But even if he doesn't it's hard to see him falling to the third.   Let's keep our powder dry and see how he tests...