Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Film Room: Saquon Barkley

Sorley's running ability makes the DE or MLB not crash in too hard, and that was a big part of Barkley's effectiveness, IMO. Hence Barkley has to go to a team with a QB that has wheels that will be respected. No Browns QB will have it, Giants' Eli does not have it, Andrew Luck does have it. I can see a logical fit there for the RPO plays called, assuming we incorporate a lot of those in our offense under Reich's direction.

Brissett runs, but he is slower than Andrew for certain. A lot will depend on our FA moves.

14 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Man I can not wait until we pass on this guy. Going to flood the forum with lol’s

Nah. Don't do it man. I don't want us to draft Barkley either, but I can absolutely see the appeal. He's a special RB prospect IMO. 

20 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Love Barkley, just don't love RB's that high. Positional Value just isn't there plus stats show RB's hit their decline shortly after their rookie deals where as other positions hit their prime.

Adrian Peterson/Leveon Bell type thoroughbred RB's usually have 10yr high level careers...Barkley is built for the long haul..

14 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Adrian Peterson/Leveon Bell type thoroughbred RB's usually have 10yr high level careers...Barkley is built for the long haul..

There's absolutely no way anybody could project that. Bell is just 26 so that is yet to be seen. Maybe Barkley will buck the trend, maybe he'll fade away. Neither of those guys has helped their team win or go to a Super Bowl either.

2 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

There's absolutely no way anybody could project that. Bell is just 26 so that is yet to be seen. Maybe Barkley will buck the trend, maybe he'll fade away. Neither of those guys has helped their team win or go to a Super Bowl either.

Just saying,  I don't think you pass on a potential hall of fame caliber RB because of "positional value", to take a lesser graded prospect who also might or might not have a high level career... The no super bowl argument is severely flawed as well, many great pass rushers and offensive lineman have never won a super bowl...

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

Just saying,  I don't think you pass on a potential hall of fame caliber RB because of "positional value", to take a lesser graded prospect who also might or might not have a high level career... The no super bowl argument is severely flawed as well, many great pass rushers and offensive lineman have never won a super bowl...

Agree to disagree, that's all. You can get similar production from Running Backs later in the draft. Plus it's the Colts we're talking about, which means he'll end up on IR by week 8.

4 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Agree to disagree, that's all. You can get similar production from Running Backs later in the draft. Plus it's the Colts we're talking about, which means he'll end up on IR by week 8.

Yeah..that's the truth in regards to injuries..Hopefully this new strength and conditioning coach has a positive effect on our injury problems..

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

It is very rare when a player who is not a QB can single handedly win games for you...Just the addition of Barkley to this current team with no other upgrades can add 3 wins a season..

Not to mention how he will open the passong game up. 8 men in the box to stop him...TY, our new #2wr, vertical TE and Luck choosing which 1 on 1 target he throws to.....play nickel to stop our passing game...good luck trying stop Barkley haha

5 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

I will almost guarantee that the Giants take Barkley. Just a hunch. Then nobody here can complain that we passed up the next Ladainian Tomlinson.

I think they will as well.  

Because we won a worthless week 17 game, we will miss out on one of the best RB prospects we've ever seen.

21 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

I think they will as well.  

Because we won a worthless week 17 game, we will miss out on one of the best RB prospects we've ever seen.

No win is a worthless win. Not when the players are playing for jobs. There is more to the NFL than wins and losses.

6 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

I will almost guarantee that the Giants take Barkley. Just a hunch. Then nobody here can complain that we passed up the next Ladainian Tomlinson.

hard to predict what they will do.  maybe they feel backs are not worth a pick that high

i wont be shocked if they take barkley or a QB or chubb

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

hard to predict what they will do.  maybe they feel backs are not worth a pick that high

i wont be shocked if they take barkley or a QB or chubb

The only real reason I believe they will take Barkley is because they don’t have any talent on offense except for Odell Beckham. When he went out with his injury, that team was dead in the water. They need OLine too but I severely doubt they take one at #2. They still have Eli so I don’t think a QB is in the mix yet either. That’s why I personally think they take Barkley and he will be a good fit there. 

1 minute ago, pgt_rob said:

The only real reason I believe they will take Barkley is because they don’t have any talent on offense except for Odell Beckham. When he went out with his injury, that team was dead in the water. They need OLine too but I severely doubt they take one at #2. They still have Eli so I don’t think a QB is in the mix yet.

yeah they were pretty bad.  its hard to say if they believe in taking running backs or guards that high 

thats why i could see them going qb, the rest of the board doesn't fit their needs very well

2 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

The only real reason I believe they will take Barkley is because they don’t have any talent on offense except for Odell Beckham. When he went out with his injury, that team was dead in the water. They need OLine too but I severely doubt they take one at #2. They still have Eli so I don’t think a QB is in the mix yet either. That’s why I personally think they take Barkley and he will be a good fit there. 

Disagree that they lack talent on offense besides Beckham. Sheppard is talented and a very good slot wr,  marshall is talented although fading, and Evan engrams is a huge mismatch at te. They lack talent at the rb position.

12 minutes ago, Qcolts said:

Disagree that they lack talent on offense besides Beckham. Sheppard is talented and a very good slot wr,  marshall is talented although fading, and Evan engrams is a huge mismatch at te. They lack talent at the rb position.

True, I do like those guys. The offense couldn’t get the job done. I do believe they will be much better this coming season. They desperately need help at running back. The colts need one too. So, I’m not sure. I just have a particular feeling that they do choose RB at #2. It’s a safe pick for them and will help Eli get some pressure off his back. 

4 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

They have great talent on offense. They have Sterling Shepherd who is one of the best WR2s in the league and they just drafted Evan Engram in the first round and he will be a great mismatch weapon for them. Their problem last year was that pretty much all of their receivers got injured at some point. They were fielding WR4s and WR5s on their roster as WR1 at some point. 

Take the Colts craptastic  O-Line and place a dancing running back behind it.................hmmmmm......... flash back moment.....Donald Brown......Trent Richardson come to mind as the most recent dancers for the Colts, Brown was serviceable, but sometimes while doing the Fred Astaire the tiny and brief opening he had for +2 ended in a no gain tap number.......TR, well no need to even go there, not fair to use him for any kind of example....but on both those RB's I spent most of the time yelling at my TV ,"just hit the $%^& hole, you can sign up for dancing with the stars in the offseason!" To Donald's credit later in his Colts career someone must have told him the same thing, he started sticking his head in the creases and pulled off some long runs here and there 

44 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yes that week 17 win sure doesn't look like it helped. :yuk:

The "Pagano Special", just like the meaningless Jacksonville win that costs us like 4 spots in draft previous year.. We celebrated 8-8 like we just clinched home field, and a 1st round bye...smh

5 hours ago, Crunked said:

Take the Colts craptastic  O-Line and place a dancing running back behind it.................hmmmmm......... flash back moment.....Donald Brown......Trent Richardson come to mind as the most recent dancers for the Colts, Brown was serviceable, but sometimes while doing the Fred Astaire the tiny and brief opening he had for +2 ended in a no gain tap number.......TR, well no need to even go there, not fair to use him for any kind of example....but on both those RB's I spent most of the time yelling at my TV ,"just hit the $%^& hole, you can sign up for dancing with the stars in the offseason!" To Donald's credit later in his Colts career someone must have told him the same thing, he started sticking his head in the creases and pulled off some long runs here and there 

Stat thrown out by a poster here I found alarming about Chubb...6 games this past year he didn't even register a sack in college...smh..

14 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Stat thrown out by a poster here I found alarming about Chubb...6 games this past year he didn't even register a sack in college...smh..

Same applies to Justin Houston on his pre-draft year. Watt and Khalil Mack had 7 games with no sacks. Bosa had 8 games. Miller had 5.

On 2/20/2018 at 8:48 AM, jshipp23 said:

LOL, keep chipping away at that rock. Pretty soon, he'll be no better than Jonathan Newsome...

Since this is a Barkley thread, how many games did he fail to hit 60 yards rushing, or average less than 3 yards/carry?

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

LOL, keep chipping away at that rock. Pretty soon, he'll be no better than Jonathan Newsome...

Since this is a Barkley thread, how many games did he fail to hit 60 yards rushing, or average less than 3 yards/carry?

Lol...I honestly will be fine with Chubb, but I wouldn't pass on Barkley for him, if we do we do.. I think Chubb is gonna be good, just not sure about great..With Barkley looking at his stats you have to keep in mind he was a 1 man team, with very poor line, and he faced stacked boxes all the time..I could tell he was tired and worn down toward the end of the year, and probably was playing hurt..

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

Lol...I honestly will be fine with Chubb, but I wouldn't pass on Barkley for him, if we do we do.. I think Chubb is gonna be good, just not sure about great..With Barkley looking at his stats you have to keep in mind he was a 1 man team, with very poor line, and he faced stacked boxes all the time..I could tell he was tired and worn down toward the end of the year, and probably was playing hurt..

Then there's this B.S.

No he didn't. Barkley played in a top 25 passing offense, #1 in the Big Ten. He wasn't a 1 man show, that offense all around, as much as I despise McSorley, was legit. I think what's funny is how people are projecting him being better than Elliott, Fournette, Gurley etc.... but none of those guys, especially Elliott and Fournette, got to play with a passing offense close to what Barkley's played with. And Barkley still couldn't put up the rushing numbers that Elliott and Fournette did. 

The guy is good, but damn, I can't remember a player being more overhyped/overrated than Barkley has been these past 3 months. 

53 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Then there's this B.S.

No he didn't. Barkley played in a top 25 passing offense, #1 in the Big Ten. He wasn't a 1 man show, that offense all around, as much as I despise McSorley, was legit. I think what's funny is how people are projecting him being better than Elliott, Fournette, Gurley etc.... but none of those guys, especially Elliott and Fournette, got to play with a passing offense close to what Barkley's played with. And Barkley still couldn't put up the rushing numbers that Elliott and Fournette did. 

The guy is good, but damn, I can't remember a player being more overhyped/overrated than Barkley has been these past 3 months. 

Good grief...smh..  You realize Barkley accounted for almost 700 receiving yards, and the fact teams focused on him so much is the only reason the stats seem that way..They were far from a prolific passing team..When you see 8 and 9 man boxes and lots of one on one matchups you are gonna hit on some chunk plays in the passing game..Everything that they had was either Barkley or because of Barkleys presence..He will bring the same benefit for the Colts...

3 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

I like Barkley and if Ballard has him as his bpa great, but the bolded is just hyperbole.  That is just not even close to being accurate.

On 2/20/2018 at 8:48 AM, jshipp23 said:

Interesting.....   JShipp tosses out a rare fact and not just an opinion!     Well,  what do you know?

Except....

I actually,  you know,  double checked....    and it was 5 games this year and 6 games the year before.

And do you know who it reminds me off?

Some guy you know named Myles Garrett.     Who had ZERO sacks in 6 games his last year,  and zero sacks in 5 games each of the previous two years.

So,  you see,  there's nothig for you to be shaking your head about.   That kind of thing happens.     And yes,  I agree that Chubb is not as good as Garrett.    

But only you would be posting about the TOP PASS RUSHER IN THE DRAFT with comments like.....    smh.

And you had another post a few days ago where you described him as not a guy who you want to take at 3 because all he is is good against the run.     And you conveniently said not a single word about the fact that he's ALSO very good on the pass rush.     Only you do that,  JS.