Ian Rapoport: Colts coaching search down to McDaniels or Vrabel

stitches

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not getting all these fans, hating Mcdaniels, because he is either from the Patriots or because he is viewed as not liked by his players

Let me tell you something, being liked and respected are 2 different things.

Enough with these "Player Coaches" trust me, Bellichick isn't liked, he is respected and he wins. he is known as a cut throat hard * and severly strict and guess what else... A WINNER

I don't care if the players like Josh or any coach as long as the players are held accountable or shipped out of town, just like the Patriot culture. I WANT THE COLTS TO WIN, not be a "nice" team anymore and Ballard I believe is on that page and it WILL yield results or the players will not be here

This is what we all should want. these players get paid millions to perform and that's it. Anything outside of the football field is nice, but on the field they are paid to execute and win. There should always be 90+ percent high expectation every single time they take the field and that has nothing to do with whether a coach is liked. If the players buy the system, which IS PROVEN to win, then we will win, just like they have in NE

Winning is all that matters in football, nothing else, nothing less

3 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

We already lost the guy I wanted to the Bears.  

At this point, I don't think I'd be happy with anyone, but I would have a VERY difficult time rooting for a team coached by Josh McDaniels.  

I think you're taking this a little too seriously..

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

I'm not getting all these fans, hating Mcdaniels, because he is either from the Patriots or because he is viewed as not liked by his players

Let me tell you something, being liked and respected are 2 different things.

Enough with these "Player Coaches" trust me, Bellichick isn't liked, he is respected and he wins. he is known as a cut throat hard * and severly strict and guess what else... A WINNER

I don't care if the players like Josh or any coach as long as the players are held accountable or shipped out of town, just like the Patriot culture. I WANT THE COLTS TO WIN, not be a "nice" team anymore and Ballard I believe is on that page and it WILL yield results or the players will not be here

This is what we all should want. these players get paid millions to perform and that's it. Anything outside of the football field is nice, but on the field they are paid to execute and win. There should always be 90+ percent high expectation every single time they take the field and that has nothing to do with whether a coach is liked. If the players buy the system, which IS PROVEN to win, then we will win, just like they have in NE

Winning is all that matters in football, nothing else, nothing less

BB is well liked by his players.  I've never heard otherwise.  

The players also respect him, but that isn't because players hate him. 

People respected Pagano too.  That doesn't make for a good coach.

Just now, BleedBlu8792 said:

I think you're taking this a little too seriously..

No, they are not taking it too seriously, they are nuts and obviously don't want the Colts to win at any cost. Trust me, if Josh is hired and this team actually wins consistently, all these people wanting no part of Patriot guys will drop that perception with the quickness

2 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

So you have a disdain for winning... As a fan, that's all that should matter.. 

Yeah. I loved his success as a HC in Denver.  

Bring that here.  

Let him drive Luck out of Indy too while he's at it.  

At the end of the day it's only my opinion and it means nothing to the Colts.

2 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

My point is, that Belichick doesn't just start guys, just to start them as the past Colts coaches have as one example. BB doesn't care if he is popular amongst the players and he is not, except his methods are proven based on wins. If he wasn't winning so much, you'd hear the players hate playing for him based on his standards and what he demands

Yeah. I loved his success as a HC in Denver.  

Bring that here.  

Let him drive Luck out of Indy too while he's at it.

So you pluck 2 bad years and that trumps all he's done as one of the top OC's in the game? The fact that all occurred nearly a decade ago, and Denver gave him more than he could handle, that's all on McDaniels? He admitted the mistakes he made during his Denver time, I think he's earned a 2nd chance.

6 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Also, do you think Dungy, Caldwell or Pagano would bench guys if they missed "Practice" because of severe snowfall? Or how about instituting a "No diving" over the goal line with the ball or you'll be benched rule? Yeah... Exactly

Just now, BleedBlu8792 said:

So you pluck 2 bad years and that trumps all he's done as one of the top OC's in the game?

Stunk in St. Louis too.  

As much as I hate to say it, Brady and BB are what drive that team to success. Brady can run that offense without an OC. McDaniels is  just a formality in my opinion.

Stunk in St. Louis too.  

As much as I hate to say it, Brady and BB are what drive that team to success. Brady can run that offense without an OC. McDaniels is  just a formality in my opinion.

So who do you suggest then? 

Stunk in St. Louis too.  

I agree about Brady, however without either Brady, BB or Josh, we don't even get to sniff that offense and we need to sniff that offense as it smells good from over yonder...:lol:

5 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Stunk in St. Louis too.  

it stunk in St.Louis because they had an injury prone QB back up WRs as starters and a run down RB. Orton Grappollo Brisett and cassel ran that offense just fine.

2 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

They didn’t fall flat on their faces at Denver for one.  They both ended up being successful in their first year as head coaches.  I know hindsight is 20/20.  But the point is we didn’t ever have a chance at either because Irsay was infatuated with Pagano for too long.  

If you are going on first year, McDaniel had a better first year than Shanahan.

Looks like DeFilippo may be available as OC

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/13/defilippos-contract-expires-after-the-season-making-him-free-to-leave/\

...By rule, a team can block an assistant under contract from leaving for another team as an assistant coach, even if the new job technically constitutes a promotion. For DeFilippo, he can take any other job he wants in 2018, with any other team.

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

so in other words you have no one in mind. great job :sigh:

I already stated that the Bears stole our guy.  

Shurmur would be my favorite though.  

I was really hoping the Ravens were dumb and fired Harbaugh.

He's my favorite in the NFL right now.

McDaniels is in charge of going into the opponent's locker room the get their game plan.  

We all know that.  

Then BB and Brady draw it up during the game.

It's never once been proven that he was involved in any if the pats cheating

5 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I really hope it's not Vrabel. Don't think he's ready at all.

6 years of coaching. 1 as a DC. I don't really want our next HC's best trait to be "a leader of men." And that seems like his best trait by far. 

When people describe him as a coach I envision Pagano, pretty much.

Ya, Pagano was a really tuff, good NFL player under one of the best of all time. 
Such silliness with you people.

Just now, ricker182 said:

But it was proven in Denver.

That was an assistant or something, and he fired the guy for it. I don’t care if the Colts hire Satan himself if they win games. McDaniels may not be very likeable to folks, but let’s not act like he’s a band person with a rap sheet of felonies and misdemeanors a mile long or something. We don’t have to have the guy over for beers and WWE network binges. 

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Ya, Pagano was a really tuff, good NFL player under one of the best of all time. 

Every great coach has one thing in common, they all were a first time head coach at some point. I don’t understand why that’s lost on so many folks.

8 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

I already stated that the Bears stole our guy.  

Shurmur would be my favorite though.  

I was really hoping the Ravens were dumb and fired Harbaugh.

He's my favorite in the NFL right now.

you wanted a guy that has 2 months of OC experience.........

18 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Stunk in St. Louis too.  

This is starting to sound like a lot of jealousy and envy, with a side of homerism. 

11 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

My comparison is because I could see Vrabel struggling with X's and O's side of things, the game planning, clock managment, on-field decisions. That it seems like his strengths are only about being well-respected and a good leader.

That all vaguely reminds me of Pagano. I'm not saying they mirror each other perfectly in resume at all, but yes, I do see similarities.

16 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Pat Shurmur.  (Not Likely)

Vince Lombardi. (Not sure if possible) 

John Madden (Where'd he go?)  

Tom Landry (Very Likely)

In other words, since your guy didn't get hired, you have no clue who we should go with....

7 minutes ago, corgi said:

Every great coach has one thing in common, they all were a first time head coach at some point. I don’t understand why that’s lost on so many folks.

I don't care about getting a first time HC either, I'd have been glad to have Wilks or Nagy, plenty of others, but I think Vrabel is very inexperienced in coaching in general. Only 6 years coaching.

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

It's silliness to compare them? Okay.

My comparison is because I don't think Vrabel's going to be good in the X's and O's side of things, that it's all about him being a good leader/good relationship with players.

That's why he surrounds himself with assistant's, notably an offensive/defensive coordinator. He'll be a head coach somewhere in the next 3 years. His stock among the GM's in the league is rising quickly, plus he's been mentored by some of the best in the game.