Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Chiefs Offensive Coordinator Matt Nagy Be the Colts’ Next Head Coach?

krunk

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

He was co-OC last season...and KC was a below average offense. And when he was the QB coach, KC was a bottom-tier offense. He wasn't running the offense, but I don't really see how his time as QB coach is a plus. KC didn't rely on Smith the way that the Colts would (and should) rely on Luck.

I just don't see the production on his resume that screams HC material. And if he wasn't even calling plays until that past three games, then he also lacks experience in that department. That's not really his fault, but it's also not something that can just be ignored. Also, I would hope the Colts wouldn't hire a guy off a three game sample.

Guys like McVay and Shanahan had stronger resumes...and it has translated well. But Nagy is a much bigger question mark at this point. Two years from now...it might be a different story. But right now I don't see much that makes me want him to be the Colts HC. 

To me most of that belongs on Andy Reid and the plays he likes to call.   I think he has beautiful play design but most of it is West Coast short throw style.   Since Nagy has taken over it's been more deep balls and running game/play action.    You can tell his philosophy is a bit different from Reid.

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

I would too.  I've listened to him a couple times just to get a feel for him .

I will say...everything I have said could be also be said about Pederson, as he was the OC during the time Nagy was the QB coach. 

And Pederson has flourished in PHI this season. However, this is his second season. And Pederson had more experience and was a former QB.

I am not ruling out Nagy ever. I just don't think he's the guy right now. I would have much rather hired Shanahan.

32 minutes ago, krunk said:

He wasn't the OC in those years previous, he was the QB coach.  He just became the OC this year and for parts of the year Andy Reid was the one calling the plays.  Offense didn't take off until Nagy took over the play calling.  Reid holds him in high regard.   Sort of rare for Reid to give up the play calling duties to anyone.  And for the record I like Andy Reids playcalling

If he did become HC it will be interesting to see if he continues to call the plays like Reid previously did and Sean Payton. 

7 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Reid has mostly always called the plays IIRC and for him to give that up to Nagy says a lot to me.  While I think Reid makes some boneheaded coaching decisions I still respect him as a coach.

He still had the final say (probably mostly game scripts). But yeah...it definitely shows something. Then again, KC was under a lot of pressure...even considering benching Smith...so I think that played a role as well.

16 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I will say...everything I have said could be also be said about Pederson, as he was the OC during the time Nagy was the QB coach. 

And Pederson has flourished in PHI this season. However, this is his second season. And Pederson had more experience and was a former QB.

I am not ruling out Nagy ever. I just don't think he's the guy right now. I would have much rather hired Shanahan.

Nagy was a former QB also....  if you read the article about him which is interesting....  he took the first job from Reid thinking he would get a shot at QB as a backup if they saw him throw.   He even ran the scout team as QB or something like that 

2 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Nagy was a former QB also....  if you read the article about him which is interesting....  he took the first job from Reid thinking he would get a shot at QB as a backup if they saw him throw.   He even ran the scout team as QB or something like that 

True...though Pederson spent the better part of a decade on NFL rosters as a QB...for some very good coaching staffs. That type of experience is invaluable. 

Again, Pederson is part of the Reid coaching tree...as Nagy would be as well. I think he will get his chance some day...I just don't want it to be the Colts at this time. But if they did hire him, I wouldn't be upset...at least not like I would if they hired someone like Shaw or Fisher.

6 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

I definitely like that he's a former QB and that is the only position he ever played since 8 years old.  I think some of the deep throws that he's added to their offense comes from the Arena Leauge experience.

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

True...though Pederson spent the better part of a decade on NFL rosters as a QB...for some very good coaching staffs. That type of experience is invaluable. 

Again, Pederson is part of the Reid coaching tree...as Nagy would be as well. I think he will get his chance some day...I just don't want it to be the Colts at this time. But if they did hire him, I wouldn't be upset...at least not like I would if they hired someone like Shaw or Fisher.

No way to Fisher...  I doubt that Shaw would have any interest.  He has stated that Stanford is his dream job....  Maybe they fire him I dont know.   But I dont think they go that route.  I am not impressed with him that much anyway.  Although he would bring some familiarity with Luck as would Harbaugh.

I honestly believe that Irsay will want a HC that will get the fan base excited.. He kinda #ed it up the last time .  I dont think Ballard has that same idea in mind though.  

It will be interesting.   I am not sure who I would want yet.  I'll voice once I see who the candidates are 

23 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

He sort of got a Dungy type of demeanor to me personality wise.

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Oh you mean, like our QB coach Shotty, who used to be an OC? 

And he got fired from that job.    And eventually he didn't find a job in the NFL he liked and wanted...    so he went and became an OC in college...    and got fired from that job too.

He took the QB coach job here because it's the best he could get.    He's done a nice job..

But the trend line was going down for Schott.    It's going up for Nagy..

22 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

If the Colts hired Shaw.....

There would be a "Fire David Shaw NOW!" Petition drive after just one year.   His offense would be HUGELY offensive to fans here.   His offense is OFFENSIVE!

His personality is perfect for the college environment.    He loves molding young men on and off the field.   Shaw is a Big Picture guy.   He's as much a CEO as he is a HC and the real OC of the program.

He'd be a fish out of water in the NFL world where it's a 24/7/365 way of life.   He did that before as an NFL assistant coach and HATED that life.   

Shaw might want to try the NFL world again in his lifetime, but I wouldn't want him to be the HC of my favorite team.   His skill set, his strengths, do not translate well to the NFL.    

The Colts can do better...    really.

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If the Colts hired Shaw.....

There would be a "Fire David Shaw NOW!" Petition drive after just one year.   His offense would be HUGELY offensive to fans here.   His offense is OFFENSIVE!

His personality is perfect for the college environment.    He loves molding young men on and off the field.   Shaw is a Big Picture guy.   He's as much a CEO as he is a HC and the real OC of the program.

He'd be a fish out of water in the NFL world where it's a 24/7/365 way of life.   He did that before as an NFL assistant coach and HATED that life.   

Shaw might want to try the NFL world again in his lifetime, but I wouldn't want him to be the HC of my favorite team.   His skill set, his strengths, do not translate well to the NFL.    

The Colts can do better...    really.

I believe this would be the case as well

Idk. I just find it interesting that with his KC connections that Toub is the guy the KC and Indy media connects to Ballard and not Nagy. I don’t think it’d be in good taste to interview two coaches from the same team. It’d be like asking sisters in the same house if they wanted to go prom with you. Nagy might get an interview but not with us. I think Toub is the front runner. He and Ballard’s connection is deeper, as it goes back to when they were in Chicago together. Plus Nagy is too new. Only been OC for a few weeks. Hiring a 5 week playcaller could be akin to hiring a 1-year coordinator like we did with Pagano. It’d be a lateral move with the only difference being that Nagy specializes in offense.

14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Idk. I just find it interesting that with his KC connections that Toub is the guy the KC and Indy media connects to Ballard and not Nagy. I don’t think it’d be in good taste to interview two coaches from the same team. It’d be like asking sisters in the same house if they wanted to go prom with you. Nagy might get an interview but not with us. I think Toub is the front runner. He and Ballard’s connection is deeper, as it goes back to when they were in Chicago together. Plus Nagy is too new. Only been OC for a few weeks. Hiring a 5 week playcaller could be akin to hiring a 1-year coordinator like we did with Pagano. It’d be a lateral move with the only difference being that Nagy specializes in offense.

Not that it makes a huge difference, but this will be Nagy's second season as OC.  Same as Sean McVay....

14 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Not that it makes a huge difference, but this will be Nagy's second season as OC.  Same as Sean McVay....

Okay. Thanks for the correction. But if I’m not mistaken he only started actually calling the plays a couple of weeks ago. That means he’s still a new play caller. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nagy is the OC for the Chiefs now.    Quarterback coach would be a big step backwards.    

If he's leaving the Chiefs and Andy Reid, it's to be a head coach somewhere....

28 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Interesting scenario unfolding with the Cleveland Browns hiring  of KC's GM John Dorsey.  JD knows all of the KC players and coaches at least as well as Ballard.  If there are players/coaches worthy of a promotion, Ballard and Dorsey might be at odds trying to get them.  JD will likely even have a heads up on Ballard drafting... with 2 first rounders and 3 second round picks and choosing in front of Ballard at each step.

I'm curious to find out what John Dorsey thinks of Hue Jackson.... for one.

5 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Interesting scenario unfolding with the Cleveland Browns hiring  of KC's GM John Dorsey.  JD knows all of the KC players and coaches at least as well as Ballard.  If there are players/coaches worthy of a promotion, Ballard and Dorsey might be at odds trying to get them.  JD will likely even have a heads up on Ballard drafting... with 2 first rounders and 3 second round picks and choosing in front of Ballard at each step.

I'm curious to find out what John Dorsey thinks of Hue Jackson.... for one.

If Ballard self admittedly learned a lot about drafting from Dorsey, then we should have a better idea of what Dorsey will do. Two former colleagues who used to draft together, now the GMs for two different teams, both with top 5 picks. Should be interesting.

http://www.vikings.com/team/coaches/george-edwards/1040945a-c79b-48b7-bfe3-528bf7720541

If we hire a DC as our next head coach, I would love it to be George Edwards from the Vikings. 

He must be a HC candidate somewhere in the league soon. Okay, he's never been HC before, but his stats are amazing as a DC. I could see Ballard build a team through a tough defence.

On the flip side, if its a OC we bring in as the next HC,  I could see Frank Reich from the Eagles as the next HC.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/coaches/frank-reich/20c7e5db-b60c-4732-9848-4eff7a236617

He have been a HC before, and maybe its better this time around. He worked with Rivers for years, and was the man behind Rivers best seasons.

If none of these two, then I hope we bring back Harbaugh so Luck can be succesful and grab those next 8 Lombardies as we know he can.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Okay. Thanks for the correction. But if I’m not mistaken he only started actually calling the plays a couple of weeks ago. That means he’s still a new play caller. 

Meh. I'm not concerned about whether a HC is calling plays or not.  Doug Peterson never called plays for the chiefs.

1 hour ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

http://www.vikings.com/team/coaches/george-edwards/1040945a-c79b-48b7-bfe3-528bf7720541

If we hire a DC as our next head coach, I would love it to be George Edwards from the Vikings. 

He must be a HC candidate somewhere in the league soon. Okay, he's never been HC before, but his stats are amazing as a DC. I could see Ballard build a team through a tough defence.

On the flip side, if its a OC we bring in as the next HC,  I could see Frank Reich from the Eagles as the next HC.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/coaches/frank-reich/20c7e5db-b60c-4732-9848-4eff7a236617

He have been a HC before, and maybe its better this time around. He worked with Rivers for years, and was the man behind Rivers best seasons.

If none of these two, then I hope we bring back Harbaugh so Luck can be succesful and grab those next 8 Lombardies as we know he can.

I love Reich as a candidate, but having read his bio,  I didn't see any reference to him being a head coach anywhere.   I might've missed it.    Can you point it out to me please?    

9 hours ago, krunk said:

I've thought more about Frank Reich myself just because the familiarity.   And also like Nagy he's a former quarterback.   Not sure what defensive scheme he would prefer but wherever I've seen him it's usually a 4-3 defense.

Frank Reich is a name people aren’t thinking about enough. He will get a HC opportunity in the NFL. 

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

A guy who has coached both 4-3 and 3-4 styles would be Vic Fangio. If there is a clean up in Chicago with John Fox and his coaches let go, I would not mind him at all for a parallel DC position. I feel Ballard would be giving him better personnel than Fangio's first stint in Indy from 1999-2001. 

I doubt Fangio will ever be a HC, and even if he does then I doubt he would be a HC in Indy. I am sure that guy still holds a grudge, and to be honest I don’t blame him. He got hosed here in Indy. 

4 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

Because it's his dream to work with Andrew Luck, I guess.  Maybe Ballard can convince him to be a volunteer.

Agreed! Sounds like a great idea. I think I will quit my job and join the peace corps. I always cared more about helping others than paying my own bills. :D 

7 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't have a top three yet. The only guy that I feel good about is McDaniels, but I haven't really formed a strong opinion on anyone else yet.

At first I hated the idea of McDaniels. Then I attempted to warm up to the idea. Now I am back to hating the thought of him coaching this team. 

It’s an official no from me. I don’t want the stain of his stigma. He reeks of cheater, and in my opinion he should forever remain a Patriot.

I would rather keep Pagano than hire McDaniels. At least Pagano is a guy I can root for. At least Pagano is a person I respect. 

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I love Reich as a candidate, but having read his bio,  I didn't see any reference to him being a head coach anywhere.   I might've missed it.    Can you point it out to me please?    

Oh my bad, misread the coaching section in the beginning of his bio.

Thats on me. Sorry to mislead.

Overall I would be more skeptical of coordinators of the side of the ball where their head coach is known to be expert at. Example - Andy Reid is known as an offensive guy, and I would be more skeptical of his offensive coordinator. Doug Pederson is an offensive guy - I would be more skeptical of his OC. Mike Zimmer is a defense guy, I would be more skeptical of his DC George Edwards. 

This is not some surefire rule and every situation needs to be evaluated individually, for example you might be able to trace the offensive success of the Chiefs more towards Nagy than Ried, but overall I wouldn't know who to give the main credit for their team's success on the respective side of the ball - the HC or the coordinator in such situations. 

10 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I doubt Fangio will ever be a HC, and even if he does then I doubt he would be a HC in Indy. I am sure that guy still holds a grudge, and to be honest I don’t blame him. He got hosed here in Indy. 

I was talking about Fangio as a DC with a new GM and new HC, which I was wanting to consider Frank Reich and Josh McDaniels for HC.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Overall I would be more skeptical of coordinators of the side of the ball where their head coach is known to be expert at. Example - Andy Reid is known as an offensive guy, and I would be more skeptical of his offensive coordinator. Doug Pederson is an offensive guy - I would be more skeptical of his OC. Mike Zimmer is a defense guy, I would be more skeptical of his DC George Edwards. 

This is not some surefire rule and every situation needs to be evaluated individually, for example you might be able to trace the offensive success of the Chiefs more towards Nagy than Ried, but overall I wouldn't know who to give the main credit for their team's success on the respective side of the ball - the HC or the coordinator in such situations. 

You could say that about any OC or HC. Good DCs like Wade Philips, Rex Ryan, Jim Schwartz have all tried that route and failed but we know they call a good game on defense. I do think this team needs an offensive minded coach. Some coaches like Andy Reid, Mike McCarthy, Sean Payton still love calling plays for their team so that they can see things through the eyes of a QB. Frank Reich, being a former QB himself, may do the same or may delegate. Josh McDaniels, I have a feeling, will go down the Mike McCarthy/Sean Payton route. That is all part of the hiring process that needs to be investigated and discussed. The hiring cannot be done unless all aspects of it are figured out.

22 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Oh Dear God.  Surely you are not this clueless and just being argumentative.

Schotty did not leave an existing OC job to be the Colts' QB coach.

Nagy would not even be allowed to be the Colts' OC if the Chiefs did not want him to leave.  Nagy sure as hell is not coming to Indy to be QB coach.  

You still haven't gotten a new tag line??! Well, at least you are predictable lol. 

Moving to a team with Andrew Luck got Ballard to not take other jobs and to come here. But that won't work with Nagy? I said maybe QB coach, but if it's OC, that's cool too. I'm just not sold on him being HC. 

21 hours ago, Superman said:

So are you suggesting that the Colts hire Nagy to be the QB coach, but pay him like a head coach?

Unless Andy Reid gets fired or Nagy gets a head coaching job, he's not likely to leave KC. The Chiefs would have to release him from his contract if he wanted to leave for anything other than a head coaching job.

I am saying if you want a talented coach (if he's thought of like that), you have to pay him. I don't believe he's ready for HC, but if it's for OC, QB Coach, Asst Coach, etc, if he can improve Luck, then bring him in and pay him what he wants. 

If he's under contract, then none of this thread makes much sense unless the Chiefs will let him go. 

16 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

If he's under contract, then none of this thread makes much sense unless the Chiefs will let him go. 

The Chiefs don't have to allow him to leave if he's offered a head coaching job. Anything short of that, they can block him from moving. Just for clarification.