Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay

Dark Superman

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/18/2017 at 4:24 PM, indyblue said:

I’m not so sure Pagano is gone after the season. I believe a healthy roster and we’re right in the mix.

being right in the mix with a healthy roster is entirely possible, but it wouldn't be due to Pagano's Head coaching ability.

No one believes more in "love thyself" more the Steven A. Smith. I can't watch him. This is an old subject and I am shaky about Ballard's ability to turn things around. Thinking how NE succeeds with players that are unknown is aggravating. With Luck's future up in the air it is senseless to get excited or depressed about 2018 so I am closing shop until the results are in. The fly in the ointment remains to be Irsay. Hopefully he will keep his thoughts to himself and let Ballard fail or succeed without his input.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:22 AM, Dark Superman said:

People continue to blame Luck, Pagano, Grigson, etc. But why doesn't anyone ever point a finger at our owner? You know, the guy who said Andrew Luck's injuries are All in his head

That is total nonsense as that is not what he said. You sound like Dakich. Get you facts straight before you post !!!

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:31 PM, The Old Crow said:

Its definitely a good history overall. I would even say the Baltimore era should have been better as they should have won in 1964 , as they were favorites, 1965 they lost to the Packers in the playoffs on a blown FG call against the Packers, and in 1967 missed the playoffs at 11-1-2 losing a tiebreaker game to the Rams in the last game. You could possibly had 6 NFL Championship wind instead of three , and possibly four Super Bowl wins instead on one. The Jets loss was one the the dumbest, worse loss in sports history. The Colts should have won that game 19 out of 20 Times. I will never understand that loss. 

Yea 17 point favorite one of the worse eating crow to all my high school friends when I went back to school that Monday after the game. I remember very late in that game they put John Unitas  in the game to score a td to keep from being shut out, unfortunately little to late. I remember the pro bowl after the super bowl of that year and Mike Curtis was being introduced as a pro bowl player he got a big boo from the nfl fans and he just smiled and shrugged his shoulders

Regarding our teams history here in Indianapolis (1984-2017), it has to be considered if not Great at least Very Good. We have had some down years here but mostly have been an Elite franchise since moving to Indy. Ok a lot of that has to do with Peyton Manning I get that but we have had some Very Good seasons prior to Manning and after. We should've been in the SB in 1995 had it not been for the Pittsburgh Refs. That team was led my Jim Harbaugh and Marshall Faulk even missed the Playoffs and we still were only 1 play away from winning the AFC. In Andrew Luck's 1st 3 seasons we were Very Good as well and made another AFC Championship Game in 2014. Overall since being in Indy we have made 5 AFC Championship games = 1995, 2003, 2006, 2009, and 2014. That averages out to making the Final 4 once every 5 seasons basically since 1995. We have been to 2 SB's and won a SB in 2006 with Manning. As fans we should have little to complain about. Once Luck comes back and Ballard has a couple of more years to build this team right, we will be back as a contender, I have no doubt.

18 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Yea 17 point favorite one of the worse eating crow to all my high school friends when I went back to school that Monday after the game. I remember very late in that game they put John Unitas  in the game to score a td to keep from being shut out, unfortunately little to late. I remember the pro bowl after the super bowl of that year and Mike Curtis was being introduced as a pro bowl player he got a big boo from the nfl fans and he just smiled and shrugged his shoulders

That was the worst loss I’ve ever faced as a fan in my life. In hindsight , John should have started, but Morrall was the NFL MVP in 1968. Shula learned in Miami when Griese was injured, Morrall did great again, but Griese went back to starting for the final Super Bowl run. 

Maybe in some alternate universe , Johnny U started Super Bowl 3, and we won. Unfortunately, we will always be tortured about what might have been. 

6 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

That was the worst loss I’ve ever faced as a fan in my life. In hindsight , John should have started, but Morrall was the NFL MVP in 1968. Shula learned in Miami when Griese was injured, Morrall did great again, but Griese went back to starting for the final Super Bowl run. 

Maybe in some alternate universe , Johnny U started Super Bowl 3, and we won. Unfortunately, we will always be tortured about what might have been. 

Worse loss for me was 2009 against the Saints. The Onside Kick, a miss FG, and then Manning's INT. Talk about silly blunders! We should've ended that decade with 2 Rings which would've really put a stamp on things but we came up short. It's ashame Freeney was injured as well. A lot of things didn't go our way in that game.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding our teams history here in Indianapolis (1984-2017), it has to be considered if not Great at least Very Good. We have had some down years here but mostly have been an Elite franchise since moving to Indy. Ok a lot of that has to do with Peyton Manning I get that but we have had some Very Good seasons prior to Manning and after. We should've been in the SB in 1995 had it not been for the Pittsburgh Refs. That team was led my Jim Harbaugh and Marshall Faulk even missed the Playoffs and we still were only 1 play away from winning the AFC. In Andrew Luck's 1st 3 seasons we were Very Good as well and made another AFC Championship Game in 2014. Overall since being in Indy we have made 5 AFC Championship games = 1995, 2003, 2006, 2009, and 2014. That averages out to making the Final 4 once every 5 seasons basically since 1984. We have been to 2 SB's and won a SB. As fans we should have little to complain about. Once Luck comes back and Ballard has a couple of more years to build this team right, we will be back as a contender, I have no doubt.

It has certainly been a very good run with some great accomplishments. The problem is , whether we are in Baltimore, Indy, or Pittsburgh, we are all trying to chase down the pesky Patriots. 

My only other comment is that the Colts have been blessed with superior quarterbacks throughout their history, and their Championship record should be much better. As I pointed out earlier, this also applied to the Baltimore Colts era also. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Worse loss for me was 2009 against the Saints. The Onside Kick, a miss FG, and then Manning's INT. Talk about silly blunders! We should've ended that decade with 2 Rings which would've really put a stamp on things but we came up short. It's ashame Freeney was injured as well. A lot of things didn't go our way in that game.

You guys had the best team that year, no doubt. I blame Polian and Irsay for killing the momentum in week 14, which played a big factor in that loss. You were better than the Saints that year. 

3 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

It has certainly been a very good run with some great accomplishments. The problem is , whether we are in Baltimore, Indy, or Pittsburgh, we are all trying to chase down the pesky Patriots. 

My only other comment is that the Colts have been blessed with superior quarterbacks throughout their history, and their Championship record should be much better. As I pointed out earlier, this also applied to the Baltimore Colts era also. 

Yeah I have seen film on that 1968 SB and seen all the blunders the Colts were making. The silly INT's and I cant remember who, but the Colts had a guy wide open for a TD and we didn't even throw to him.

17 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

You guys had the best team that year, no doubt. I blame Polian and Irsay for killing the momentum in week 14, which played a big factor in that loss. You were better than the Saints that year. 

Yeah when we quit on the undefeated season I think that was the maddest I ever was as a Colts fan. I was steamed. That ranks way up there when I felt like the REFS cheated us in 1995 and losing again to Pitt in the 2005 Playoffs.

3 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

It's funny I have a friend at work who is a Steelers fan and he doesn't count any pro football that existed before Super Bowls. I always remind him that it took the Steelers 49 years prior to win a championship in the NFL and if they had not cut John Unitas, that they originally  drafted as a QB maybe they would have had more lol

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I have seen film on that 1968 SB and seen all the blunders the Colts were making. The silly INT's and I cant remember who, but the Colts had a guy wide open for a TD and we didn't even throw to him.

It was Jimmy Orr. Morrall had 4 interceptions if memory serves my right. The Colts were moving the ball down the Jets throat the whole first half, only to be stopped by turnovers. I challenge anyone to watch that first half , and the Colts should have been killing them and won the game handily. A waste of a 13-1 season ! 

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah when we quit on the undefeated season I think that was the maddest I ever was as a Colts fan. I was steamed. That rank way up there when I felt like the REFS cheated us in 1995 and losing again to Pitt in the 2005 Playoffs.

You gotta go for history when you have a chance. You know Manning and the Colts players wanted to go for the history. 

5 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

It was Jimmy Orr. Morrall had 4 interceptions if memory serves my right. The Colts were moving the ball down the Jets throat the whole first half, only to be stopped by turnovers. I challenge anyone to watch that first half , and the Colts should have been killing them and won the game handily. A waste of a 13-1 season ! 

Yeah Jimmy Orr! Thanks. I know, the Colts were moving the ball at will and kept Turning it Over. Almost looked fake.

8 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

It's funny I have a friend at work who is a Steelers fan and he doesn't count any pro football that existed before Super Bowls. I always remind him that it took the Steelers 49 years prior to win a championship in the NFL and if they had not cut John Unitas, that they originally  drafted as a QB maybe they would have had more lol

That is a typical Steeler stooge argument as they stunk pre- Super Bowl. You tell them as a Colts fan, you won NFL Championships in , 58, 59, and 68, plus Super Bowl 5. You don’t see the Yankees in baseball not counting World Series wins in the 20’s and 30’s with Babe Ruth. This is a Steeler’s myth to cover their own franchise incompetence for 49 years !

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding our teams history here in Indianapolis (1984-2017), it has to be considered if not Great at least Very Good. We have had some down years here but mostly have been an Elite franchise since moving to Indy. Ok a lot of that has to do with Peyton Manning I get that but we have had some Very Good seasons prior to Manning and after. We should've been in the SB in 1995 had it not been for the Pittsburgh Refs. That team was led my Jim Harbaugh and Marshall Faulk even missed the Playoffs and we still were only 1 play away from winning the AFC. In Andrew Luck's 1st 3 seasons we were Very Good as well and made another AFC Championship Game in 2014. Overall since being in Indy we have made 5 AFC Championship games = 1995, 2003, 2006, 2009, and 2014. That averages out to making the Final 4 once every 5 seasons basically since 1995. We have been to 2 SB's and won a SB in 2006 with Manning. As fans we should have little to complain about. Once Luck comes back and Ballard has a couple of more years to build this team right, we will be back as a contender, I have no doubt.

What is really ashame is, I didn't even include the 2005 team in that Post but we lost in the Divisional Round to Pittsburgh. That perhaps was the most talented team we have ever had.

Here is Irsay's quote on the subject from article you attached:

It's been said before by one of the greatest athletes and competitors who've played any sport -- the quote was this, 'These games, all games, are played on a four-inch field between your ears.' That's where it's at. You have to be able to deal with this, not only physically but mentally," Irsay said. "I have no doubt that Andrew Luck, the person that [he] is, he's going to come out of this thing not just how he was but a better QB. When is the question. That timetable is more on the football Gods and Andrew's gut feeling on how he's feeling."

One can interpret this any way one wants. I have been involved in sports for many years and have heard the expression that the game is played on a four inch field between your ears for many years. It has also been said thousands of times that coming back from an injury is as much mental as it is physical till you feel confident that you are physically healthy from the injury. Everyone loves to bash Irsay over every little thing he says since the surgery. I get tired of it. I strongly believe he is a very good owner. He is not afraid to put out money for the betterment of the team. He is very optimistic and was so hoping on an early return for Andrew and he has been called a lier on local radio by some loudmouth because he, like many, thought that The surgery was a 6 to 9 month recovery at the worst. Didn't happen but many besides Irsay was optimistic he would be back sooner rather than later.

On 12/18/2017 at 2:56 PM, Blueblood23 said:

Jim Irsay became a billionaire because he was basically born one.  He hit the lottery gene pool due to his parents.

...and his fathers company was going in the toilet until it came to Indy and didn't really start to increase it's value until Jim took over. Look I'm not a big Ir say fan but most of the bashing is rooted in class envy and/or a total lack of understanding of what it takes to run a business and be profitable. Simply put, the Colts are his whole life and he will always do what's best for his company even when the envious and less than business savvy masses don't agree with his decisions. Finding great employees is a hard job and he's missed a few times,but, football fans that want a home team in Indy should be thankful the Colts are here at all.  

When Luck came the Colts were in the chase for a trophy is due in part to the very weak AFC South making it appear the Colts were better than they were. Last year the Titans were the team on the rise only to falter in 2017. With a healthy Watson at QB Houston should be favored next year. Jacksonville-who will be the QB? The big question for the Colts is three-fold, Luck, Pagano and the OL. If all improve the Colts might be in the chase but there are other concerns they need to address. I'm anxious to see how the Jags work on the QB position. Is Bortles going to be traded now  after his vast improvement? Tons of questions for the future AFC South. Ballard his his work cut out for him.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:35 AM, lollygagger8 said:

As long as Irsay lets Ballard do his job and hire the right staff, then everything will sort itself out. 

I can get behind that. I THINK Ballard is going to be a good GM....but we just don't know for sure. I do know Polian was a good GM as evident of the great teams he built for us (even if it trickled off at the end). One could argue if Jim had stayed out of the way in 2012 and left the team alone and we kept Jim Caldwell and Bill Polian we might be in a better place then we are now. Honestly, if we drafted Andrew Luck and sat him behind Peyton Manning the way Aaron Rodgers did think of all the valuable learning he could have done. The team would likely still be a playoff caliber team as Peyton always was worth about 10 games by himself. Then when Peyton retired probably at the end of Lucks rookie contract we would have a healthy franchise qb tudored by the games greatest thinker (imo) and possibly Peyton staying on the sidelines as perhaps a qb coach for Luck. Hard to tell...but it very well could have turned out better for the Colts in the long run as opposed to bringing in Grigson who only succeeded in setting the team back and a mediocre at best coach. A lot of what ifs there but an argument can be made if Irsay left things alone we might be better off honestly.

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:07 PM, The Old Crow said:

I agree....we've under performed I believed several times. The 09 SB was heart breaking. We couldn't get a pass rush with Freeney injured and we dropped big 3rd down passes, onside kicks, etc...but I think our best football team was the 05 Colts the year before we won the SB. We were much better than Pittsburgh...much and we blew them out in the regular season and just laid an egg in that playoff game...including the fumble return and missed fg. That year I was so confident we would win the SB....by far the best team in the league as I thought we were in 09. That said 06 we were still very good but we had question marks...I honestly thought SD was the best team that year. Sometimes it doesn't work out...but we put ourselves in contention. I just hope we can start doing that again. Eventually time will catch up with the Pats and Brady and Belicheck will move on.

Jim Irsay >> Bob Irsay. Of course, Bob was a boorish drunk who wrecked what had been one of the most successful NFL franchises. Jim hasn’t yet mirrored that feat though he and his buddy Chuckles seem to be trying. Lucking into Luck and Manning are Jim’s two greatest achievements and they only happened because the team was so awful in the preceding two years. Let’s see how his luck holds out after yet another horrible year.

On 12/19/2017 at 3:23 PM, indyblue said:

Yeah m not sure about that... remember we did have some great years before all the injuries. 

Im not saying he shouldn’t go, just saying injuries sure played into the disappointment.

We dominated the pathetic South and split the rest of the games. Now that the South is on the rise, we’ll need to step up our greatness from Luck’s first three years.

16 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Jim Irsay >> Bob Irsay. Of course, Bob was a boorish drunk who wrecked what had been one of the most successful NFL franchises. Jim hasn’t yet mirrored that feat though he and his buddy Chuckles seem to be trying. Lucking into Luck and Manning are Jim’s two greatest achievements and they only happened because the team was so awful in the preceding two years. Let’s see how his luck holds out after yet another horrible year.

Yeah we have had such a horrible franchise here in Indy with 5 Championship Game appearances, 2 SB appearances, and a World Championship in 2006 since 1995. Man we suck :facepalm:. When Luck comes back healthy and starts on opening day in 2018, I hope you have it in you to get rid of your negativity and bring some positivity to the Site. It must be miserable being negative all the time. Just asking, but do you thrive on when the Colts do have a bad season (which they havent had many since 1995)? So you can bash them? Hey just asking.

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah we have had such a horrible franchise here in Indy with 5 Championship Game appearances, 2 SB appearances, and a World Championship in 2006 since 1995. Man we suck :facepalm:. When Luck comes back healthy and starts on opening day in 2018, I hope you have it in you to get rid of your negativity and bring some positivity to the Site. It must be miserable being negative all the time. Just asking, but do you thrive on when the Colts do have a bad season (which they havent had many since 1995)? So you can bash them? Hey just asking.

I havent always been the biggest fan of the Irsay’s , but Jim is a much better owner than Bob. He learned a lot from his dad’s mistakes , but occasionally is prone to a verbal gaffe or two that gets him into trouble. With Bob, be it Baltimore or Indy, it just felt hopeless because of the total incompetence. With Jim, in fairness as you said , it’s been a pretty good run. The only criticism is with the top quarterbacks he has been blessed to have, many Colt fans expect New England style multiple Championship success. The fact that the GM’s and ownership at times, didn’t put complete teams around these QB’s , leaves that aspect open to criticism. 

In fairness, you could say the same thing about the Ravens in that our offensive production has always lagged behind our defenses. That has cost us Championships in the same regard.   

39 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I havent always been the biggest fan of the Irsay’s , but Jim is a much better owner than Bob. He learned a lot from his dad’s mistakes , but occasionally is prone to a verbal gaffe or two that gets him into trouble. With Bob, be it Baltimore or Indy, it just felt hopeless because of the total incompetence. With Jim, in fairness as you said , it’s been a pretty good run. The only criticism is with the top quarterbacks he has been blessed to have, many Colt fans expect New England style multiple Championship success. The fact that the GM’s and ownership at times, didn’t put complete teams around these QB’s , leaves that aspect open to criticism. 

In fairness, you could say the same thing about the Ravens in that our offensive production has always lagged behind our defenses. That has cost us Championships in the same regard.   

The way I look at it is, if someone just wants to come in here and Posts a bunch of negative stuff then why even be here. That is trollish IMO. Also if one thinks our franchise is a failure then go root for another team. I am sick of reading the trollish stuff. I am sure many agree with me. We have had a lot of Very Good to Great seasons since 1995. If someone cant handle 1 bad season than go root for the cheating Patriots is what I would tell them if it makes you feel better.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Indy results have been good mostly because Colts were phenomenally lucky to be awful in the years immediately before Luck and Manning were available plus the lack of competition in the South. Are you seriously arguing that without those three pure lucky factors this franchise would have been worth a crap? Fortunately Manning had happy feet which helped him stay healthy. Luck doesn’t mind getting hit a dozen times a game but the past three years have proven he’d have been better advised if he too had happy feet.

As for your 1995 timeframe, I go back a lot further than that. Bob Irsay was a disaster, unless you happen to reside in Indy. Then I suppose you should build him a statue.

As for being more positive, what would you do with yourself if you weren’t constantly insulting me? I could care less about your opinions. Why can’t you let others have their own?

2 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Indy results have been good mostly because Colts were phenomenally lucky to be awful in the years immediately before Luck and Manning were available plus the lack of competition in the South. Are you seriously arguing that without those three pure lucky factors this franchise would have been worth a crap? Fortunately Manning had happy feet which helped him stay healthy. Luck doesn’t mind getting hit a dozen times a game but the past three years have proven he’d have been better advised if he too had happy feet.

As for your 1995 timeframe, I go back a lot further than that. Bob Irsay was a disaster, unless you happen to reside in Indy. Then I suppose you should build him a statue.

Jim Irsay is a much better owner then his dad. People even blame Jim for the move and he nothing do with it.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The way I look at it is, if someone just wants to come in here and Posts a bunch of negative stuff then why even be here. That is trollish IMO. Also if one thinks our franchise is a failure then go root for another team. I am sick of reading the trollish stuff. I am sure many agree with me. We have had a lot of Very Good to Great seasons since 1995. If someone cant handle 1 bad season than go root for the cheating Patriots is what I would tell them if it makes you feel better.

Your attitude mirrors the guy running our country. Agree with me or leave. Sorry, but this is a forum for opinions and not all of them will be yours. Labeling those who don’t agree with you as trolls is pretty disgusting. 

6 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Yeah a lot of our success is due to having Great QB's but what franchise isn't? Should Packers fans say the same thing? Favre to Rodgers. 49ers Montana to Young.

4 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Your attitude mirrors the guy running our country. Agree with me or leave. Sorry, but this is a forum for opinions and not all of them will be yours. Labeling those who don’t agree with you as trolls is pretty disgusting. 

I am not labeling anyone and I am fine with someone disagreeing with me. Problem I have is when people just get on here and are 100% negative all the time. I have nothing against you but I have never seen you Post 1 thing that is positive about the Colts. You even say Luck is done.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not labeling anyone and I am fine with someone disagreeing with me. Problem I have is when people just get on here and are 100% negative all the time. I have nothing against you but I have never seen you Post 1 thing that is positive about the Colts. You even say Luck is done.

If he says Luck is done then it must be true. He's Luck's personnel specialist, didn't you know?