Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay

Dark Superman

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Rule of Thumb............

If you ever find yourself AGREEING with Steven A Smith,  then check yourself.

That's one of those moments that you need to re-think your view.    Being in agreement with Steven A should scare the daylight out of anyone.

And this video is no exception.....          :facepalm:

Only thing worse than agreeing with Steven A. Is agreeing with "The Skippy."

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Don't put the horse before the cart. That is exactly what Irsay did with Grigson.

Ballard right now is getting the praise that Grigson did his first year. Matter of fact, Grigson got praise from the whole NFL with being voted GM of the year.

Lets see how this all works out before assuming Ballard is the next coming of the mighty savior.

Worst thing that ever happened to Indy.  Team needed more pieces but found success early. They were never able to build through draft correctly.

4 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

We were seeing progress the first 3years. Grigs won GM of the year the first year. The turn around looked real 2-14 to 11-5 that's very solid. Year two was a deeper playoff run and year 3 even deeper. The record supported a story of growth. This wasn't be patient this was real results.

Then our star QB got injured and tried to play through it. We won games and still avoided losing seasons. Check how many teams continue to go .500 or better when their QB is injured. It's less than half.

It's funny how people rewrite history and apply the circumstances of today on to the decisions of the past. Windbags puff up and blow hard. There's some truth to not addressing the Oline but we've had bad Luck with injuries.

You forget that 2 and 14 team had no Peyton manning or Andrew luck. The inability to replace aging players with new talent to help Luck from constantly having to carry the team reared it's ugly head

Irsay is an okay owner, but like Pagano, he has plenty of issues. I won’t say that I wish we had a different owner, but I also can’t defend someone who gets a lap on the wrist for a boatload of drugs/cash and believes that Luck’s torn labrum is only in his head. 

16 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Irsay is an okay owner, but like Pagano, he has plenty of issues. I won’t say that I wish we had a different owner, but I also can’t defend someone who gets a lap on the wrist for a boatload of drugs/cash and believes that Luck’s torn labrum is only in his head. 

A slap on the wrist? A half million dollars is not a slap on the wrist. Add his legal cost it was not cheap.

Jim getting what he got is not out of the ordinary for a first time offender. He did produce legal prescriptions for his possession of pills so the charges were dropped. He was found guilty of OWI. Please get your facts straight.

44 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Worst thing that ever happened to Indy.  Team needed more pieces but found success early. They were never able to build through draft correctly.

Lots of truth to this but not drafting well and add the poor free agent signings just compounded the problem.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

A slap on the wrist? A half million dollars is not a slap on the wrist. Add his legal cost it was not cheap.

Jim getting what he got is not out of the ordinary for a first time offender. He did produce legal prescriptions for his possession of pills so the charges were dropped. He was found guilty of OWI. Please get your facts straight.

First off, $500,000, rehab and a six game suspension is absolutely a slap on the wrist for a billionaire who was looking at 3 years for each bottle of pills found. You’re not about to tell me that’s “not out of the ordinary” when he couldn’t even produce the scripts at the time of arrest. Someone with less money and of a different race would definitely get the minimum jail time. 

Second, Irsay had a mistress that died of overdose in a house that belongs to the Colts. Let’s not pretend that Irsay hasnt been doing some strange things behind the scenes.

Nothing I said was factually incorrect, so dust yourself off and try again.

2 minutes ago, colt18 said:

First off, $500,000, rehab and a six game suspension is absolutely a slap on the wrist for a billionaire who was looking at 3 years for each bottle of pills found. You’re not about to tell me that’s “not out of the ordinary” when he couldn’t even produce the scripts at the time of arrest. Someone with less money and of a different race would definitely get the minimum jail time. 

Nothing I said was factually incorrect, so dust yourself off and try again.

I am not about to tell you anything. Just the facts.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Jim was not born a billionaire. Maybe a millionaire because his father Bob was worth a poultry 150 million.

He became a billionaire as he inherited the Colts and the value of the franchise has escalated through the years. Nothing Jim did made him rich aside from birth rights.

1 minute ago, Blueblood23 said:

He became a billionaire as he inherited the Colts and the value of the franchise has escalated through the years. Nothing Jim did made him rich aside from birth rights.

You said he was born a billionaire. He wasn't. Now you want to make an issue out of your mistake? OK, go ahead.

5 hours ago, rockywoj said:

LOL

I waited around for 36 years between SuperBowls, from the win in Jan. 1971 to the win in Jan. 2007.  It seems you have no idea what "patience" really is. 

Only two out of 32 teams can even make the SuperBowl each year, with 15 of those teams being in the same conference.  Thus, there are 15 other AFC teams trying to beat out the Colts to get into the game and there are 31 other teams trying to win the SuperBowl. 

To think like the Colts have some sort of anointed right to be champions, merely because they have Andrew Luck, well, that kind of thought is just so misplaced it's not even funny.  The Colts and Colts fans are owed no guarantees.  All of the fans of the various teams are wanting the same thing. 

Fact is, Colts fans have been very fortunate, especially during the Manning years.  There are not very many other teams that can lay claim to four SuperBowl appearances and two SuperBowl victories, during the 51 SuperBowls that have occurred.  There are only 7 teams that have won more SuperBowls than the Colts.

Here's my guess at those 7: Pittsburgh, New England, Dallas, San Fransisco, Green Bay, Denver, N.Y. Giants.

5 hours ago, rockywoj said:

LOL

I waited around for 36 years between SuperBowls, from the win in Jan. 1971 to the win in Jan. 2007.  It seems you have no idea what "patience" really is. 

Only two out of 32 teams can even make the SuperBowl each year, with 15 of those teams being in the same conference.  Thus, there are 15 other AFC teams trying to beat out the Colts to get into the game and there are 31 other teams trying to win the SuperBowl. 

To think like the Colts have some sort of anointed right to be champions, merely because they have Andrew Luck, well, that kind of thought is just so misplaced it's not even funny.  The Colts and Colts fans are owed no guarantees.  All of the fans of the various teams are wanting the same thing. 

Fact is, Colts fans have been very fortunate, especially during the Manning years.  There are not very many other teams that can lay claim to four SuperBowl appearances and two SuperBowl victories, during the 51 SuperBowls that have occurred.  There are only 7 teams that have won more SuperBowls than the Colts.

Not to be Johnny Raincloud, but two of those Super Bowls where under Carroll Rosenbloom in Baltimore. Since the Irsay Family has owned the team , we are talking about two Super Bowl appearances and one win in 45 years. 

That being said, the Manning years were great, but there should have been more Championships then one. The loss to the Saints was bad, very similar to the Colts losing to the Jets in Super Bowl 3.  

The fact that the Irsay’s were in a position to draft Bert Jones, John Elway, Peyton Manning, and Andrew Luck points to Colts fans that more Championships should have been won. Sure there has been great football since Manning for the most part, but it could be fair to say that Irsay has been the constant in not putting complete teams behind some great quarterbacks. 

2 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Not to be Johnny Raincloud, but two of those Super Bowls where under Carroll Rosenbloom in Baltimore. Since the Irsay Family has owned the team , we are talking about two Super Bowl appearances and one win in 45 years. 

That being said, the Manning years were great, but there should have been more Championships then one. The loss to the Saints was bad, very similar to the Colts losing to the Jets in Super Bowl 3.  

The fact that the Irsay’s were in a position to draft Bert Jones, John Elway, Peyton Manning, and Andrew Luck points to Colts fans that more Championships should have been won. Sure there has been great football since Manning for the most part, but it could be fair to say that Irsay has been the constant in not putting complete teams behind some great quarterbacks. 

When looking at Jim Irsay the way you do it is apparent you lump him in with his father.

23 minutes ago, colt18 said:

That’s such a false narrative lol, how in gods name is that mentioned on a Colts forum?

It's facts.  Colts fandom doesn't have a thing to do with it. 

Peyton did a lot to cover the Colts warts during the regular season. But it was usually not enough in the post season against the Chargers, Steelers and Pats.  Heck even the friggin Jets knocked us out twice.  Not really 18's fault, the defense was never really championship caliber and the year that it was (2005) we wet the bed offensively against Pittsburgh for 3 quarters.  Only a late 4th quarter come back gave us a chance to win before having our hearts ripped out from us at the end. 

We got the Lombardi in 2006 and Peyton did his thing in the AFC Championship game finally against the hated Pats.  So he gets his kudos for finally getting us to the promise land. But it wasn't by himself .  The defense that year rose from the dead and played the best post season defensive ball in Indy Colts history.  Shutting down the Chiefs, Ravens and Bears.  But for most of Peyton's Colts career, our defense was too much of a liability for 18 to over come in the post season.  The year our defense finally carried it's weight, Peyton was deservedly able to take his place as a Super Bowl Champion.  

6 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Peyton did a lot to cover the Colts warts during the regular season. But it was usually not enough in the post season against the Chargers, Steelers and Pats.  Heck even the friggin Jets knocked us out twice.  Not really 18's fault, the defense was never really championship caliber and the year that it was (2005) we wet the bed offensively against Pittsburgh for 3 quarters.  Only a late 4th quarter come back gave us a chance to win before having our hearts ripped out from us at the end. 

We got the Lombardi in 2006 and Peyton did his thing in the AFC Championship game finally against the hated Pats.  So he gets his kudos for finally getting us to the promise land. But it wasn't by himself .  The defense that year rose from the dead and played the best post season defensive ball in Indy Colts history.  Shutting down the Chiefs, Ravens and Bears.  But for most of Peyton's Colts career, our defense was too much of a liability for 18 to over come in the post season.  The year defense our finally carried it's wait, Peyton was deservedly able to take his place as a Super Bowl Champion.  

Very well thought out statement.

And just think, Polian was in charge those years.

4 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

We got the Lombardi in 2006 and Peyton did his thing in the AFC Championship game finally against the hated Pats.  So he gets his kudos for finally getting us to the promise land. But it wasn't by himself .  The defense that year rose from the dead and played the best post season defensive ball in Indy Colts history.  Shutting down the Chiefs, Ravens and Bears.  But for most of Peyton's Colts career, our defense was too much of a liability for 18 to over come in the post season.  The year defense our finally carried it's wait, Peyton was deservedly able to take his place as a Super Bowl Champion.  

A lot of that is true and I used to get pretty damn worked up in those one and done playoff years during the games.  Particularly with the Chargers... did that happen more than once with them?  My God.

We had considerably better teams in 2005 and also in 2009 than most in the league, but had one or two game changing plays (or *s that let them happen) that didn't go our way.  It wasn't Peyton alone in those years... but for the most part I agree with you.

8 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Ah, I misinterpreted what you were saying. I thought you were referring to the “Peyton is a choker” narrative. I agree.

34 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

When looking at Jim Irsay the way you do it is apparent you lump him in with his father.

Obviously, he has done a far better job than his father. Not even close. But Jim has made himself the so called “ Steward of Colts history . “ You can’t give him a total pass as he was on the Colt’s professional staff in Baltimore from 82-84, then GM from 84-97. Not a lot of great years in there honestly. He made a great move hiring Polian, then getting a chance to draft an all time great in Peyton Manning. 

Should have been more Championships during the Manning era. Some blame goes to Polian, some to Irsay. Credit for 2006 conversely goes to both. 

My point is , the record is better than a lot of ownership groups, but could have been a heck of a lot better, especially with all those  before mentioned quarterbacks that were drafted over the years. 

47 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Old Crow, the other constant is that in the SuperBowl era, there are 24 other teams that have not exceeded the Colts SB win totals.  

Its definitely a good history overall. I would even say the Baltimore era should have been better as they should have won in 1964 , as they were favorites, 1965 they lost to the Packers in the playoffs on a blown FG call against the Packers, and in 1967 missed the playoffs at 11-1-2 losing a tiebreaker game to the Rams in the last game. You could possibly had 6 NFL Championship wind instead of three , and possibly four Super Bowl wins instead on one. The Jets loss was one the the dumbest, worse loss in sports history. The Colts should have won that game 19 out of 20 Times. I will never understand that loss. 

3 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Obviously, he has done a far better job than his father. Not even close. But Jim has made himself the so called “ Steward of Colts history . “ You can’t give him a total pass as he was on the Colt’s professional staff in Baltimore from 82-84, then GM from 84-97. Not a lot of great years in there honestly. He made a great move hiring Polian, then getting a chance to draft an all time great in Peyton Manning. 

Should have been more Championships during the Manning era. Some blame goes to Polian, some to Irsay. Credit for 2006 conversely goes to both. 

My point is , the record is better than a lot of ownership groups, but could have been a heck of a lot better, especially with all those  before mentioned quarterbacks that were drafted over the years. 

So Jim sat back and let Polian do his thing and what? Should he have fired Polian long before he did?

Look I am one of those who think Polian was very good at putting winning teams together but not championship teams together. They all lacked total team talent. He couldn't put together even an average defense together and add the worst special teams play even compounded the problem.

Jim was stuck and it don't take a rocket scientist to figure out why.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

So Jim sat back and let Polian do his thing and what? Should he have fired Polian long before he did?

Look I am one of those who think Polian was very good at putting winning teams together but not championship teams together. They all lacked total team talent. He couldn't put together even an average defense together and add the worst special teams play even compounded the problem.

I think you make a fair point as Polian was , I think , 1-6 in Super Bowls. Overall , he did a great job for the Colts , but more was expected with Manning. As owner, Jim had all options on the table and was never stuck. Like any owner, I’m sure he has input into decisions, and could fire as he pleased. I think the biggest reason was he didn’t want to be like his dad and fire coaches and GM every other year. 

I would put Don Shula in the same category in Baltimore  Weeb Eubank won in 58-59, and Don McCafferty won in 70. He lost in 1964 and Super Bowl 3 as overwhelming favorites. After Super Bowl 3, Rosenbloom ran Shula out on a rail to Miami. 

20 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

^

Doesn't